XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Laser Rifle

Actually, it is a matter of expensive, as having laser weapons employing real diamonds would be just too much, even for X-Corps and it's vast fundings, we just need a short note saying that it uses synthetic diamonds, which are cheap in comparison with the real ones.

Well, just a "synthetic" once in the paragraph describing the lasing core should do.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but looking at the weapon selling price, it is much higher than the conventional weapons.

All right, a note would be OK, I guess, if you think it's necessary

I have no problem with synthetic diamonds. Let's make sure we're all on the same page, so to speak. This is what I understand to be true with the laser weapons (sorry if I'm being repetitive):

- the laser core material is the same throughout all the laser weapons

- the laser amplifier is a synthetic diamond lens(?) and found in the laser rifle, heavy laser (this text currently mentions a diamond "prism"), laser cannon, and laser XCAP (might need to be added here).

These are ideas that I'm leaning towards:

- the laser core material will be mentioned in the Laser Weapons Systems CT, and because all laser systems derive from that research, the laser core material does not need to be mentioned in each laser text

- Since all texts (except the laser pistol) already mention an amplifier, we could either 1.) simplify and make all lasers have amplifiers, and add the details to the Laser Weapons Systems CT instead of each text, or for believability (imho), 2.) remove the amplifier from the "weaker" lasers (the laser rifle and heavy laser), and save it for the really powerful lasers (the laser cannon and laser XCAPs).

These ideas don't need to be implemented; I just wanted to voice them. :P

Edited by Astyanax

- the laser amplifier is a synthetic diamond lens(?) and found in the laser rifle, heavy laser (this text currently mentions a diamond "prism"), laser cannon, and laser XCAP (might need to be added here).

About this lens, it is not a normal lens, like one used in vision glasses, because in those, both faces are either concave(so light diverges) or convex (so light converges up to a focus then diverges). This lens has one face concave and the other convex, so paralel beams remain paralel after crossing through this special lens, but they get closer (concentration). The entering face must be convex, the exiting concave, both with the same spherical radius. If the light goes the other way through the lens, the beams will be still paralel, but spreaded on a larger section.

Am I making any sense here?

I got it, dan2.  Thanks for the explanation. :)  I no longer have reservations about the diamond lenses. :Tomato:

How about replacing the paragraphs reffering to laser amplifiers to paragraphs about the voltage transformers, the ones used to transform from a few volts (batteries) to thousands of volts required by the stacked LEDs. That transformer may hum and buzz in a nice fashion :)

I don't know... I think that would be too much detail. Since lasing materials can be stimulated via electrical input as well as flash tubes, I'm more for keeping the text simpler: energy from the capacitors directly excites the electrons in the laser core.

I don't know... I think that would be too much detail.  Since lasing materials can be stimulated via electrical input as well as flash tubes, I'm more for keeping the text simpler: energy from the capacitors directly excites the electrons in the laser core.

Yes, you're right, sometimes I tend to include too much detail.

So you're not worried of batteries and voltages and electrical parts, huh? I guess it's minor, if you think it is. Then back to other texts for me

• 2 weeks later...
"TORCH" LASER RIFLE

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Weapons/Laser Rifle

The Laser Rifle, nicknamed as the "Torch", is a revolutionary weapon capable of dealing with a majority of known Alien species with greater effectiveness than our conventional weaponry. It features the firepower to pierce tough Alien hide and a significantly higher ammunition capacity than standard firearms. 

"Your new "Torch" Laser Rifle is a powerful weapon, and like a well-bred pet, it requires very little attention to keep it out of trouble. All you have to do is wipe the weapon’s external heat sinks before use; the rest of the rifle is sealed airtight and requires no maintenance. What could be simpler? Keep your "Torch" happy and it will keep you alive!" –"The Care and Feeding of Energy Weapons", excerpt from the X-Corps Training Manual.

The "Torch" is the second generation of laser weaponry and a definite step up from the earlier pistol design. Its main advantages over the laser pistol are vastly increased damage, accuracy and maximum effective range. It is our first genuinely adequate tool for engaging Aliens in prolonged medium-range ground combat situations.

The laser core runs along the length of the rifle's barrel. The increased barrel length has allowed us to fit in a larger semiconductive diamond core, consequently multiplying the laser’s intensity. When the Laser Rifle's trigger is pressed, a bank of high density capacitors discharge an electrical impulse within the laser core, where the energy is transformed into photons, amplified virtually instantaneously, and released in short and intense laser pulses. As soon as the Laser Rifle fires, its banks of capacitors begin recharging and the laser core disperses the heat generated, resulting in a moderately fast, sustainable rate of fire.

Due to its lack of moving parts, the Laser Rifle requires little field maintenance. In fact, if the weapon’s case remains sealed, the weapon's estimated lifespan is 2 years of sustained use before needing a laser core replacement.

Overall, the Laser Rifle has proven itself admirably, and should be issued as a replacement to our standard rifles despite its greater cost. Its increased damage and range may allow our troops to gain the edge with the Aliens.

"When I saw this baby in action, I knew I had to get one. Our old rifles could barely penetrate even the thin hides of the little bug-eye Aliens; this 'Laser' rifle cuts through just about anything instantly. When I first tested this weapon, we set up an Alien dummy, you know, one of the grey ones. I fired a single shot, and it burned a hole clean through the dummy and half-way though the reinforced wall behind it.  I can’t wait to zap a Grey with it!" -Cpl. Alex Dupont

Edited by dan2

• 10 months later...

This one seems to be finished. Just a minor proposal for paragraph 4, sentence 2, (red for deletions, blue for additions):

"TORCH" LASER RIFLE

The laser core runs along the length of the rifle's barrel. The An increased barrel length has allowed us to fit in a larger semiconductive diamond core, consequently multiplying the laser’s intensity. When the Laser Rifle's trigger is pressed, a bank of high density capacitors discharge an electrical impulse within the laser core, where the energy is transformed into photons, amplified virtually instantaneously, and released in short and intense laser pulses. As soon as the Laser Rifle fires, its banks of capacitors begin recharging and the laser core disperses the heat generated, resulting in a moderately fast, sustainable rate of fire.

Other than that, let's pack and ship this one. It looks great, gents! =b

- Zombie

• 3 months later...

Haven't seen dan2 in a while, but the text looks suitably polished to me. As for Zombie's last comment, I changed "The increased barrel length" to "Its increased barrel length" to avoid any contention. :)

"TORCH" LASER RIFLE

The Laser Rifle, nicknamed as the "Torch", is a revolutionary weapon capable of dealing with a majority of known Alien species with greater effectiveness than our conventional weaponry. It features the firepower to pierce tough Alien hide and a significantly higher ammunition capacity than standard firearms.

"Your new "Torch" Laser Rifle is a powerful weapon, and like a well-bred pet, it requires very little attention to keep it out of trouble. All you have to do is wipe the weapon’s external heat sinks before use; the rest of the rifle is sealed airtight and requires no maintenance. What could be simpler? Keep your "Torch" happy and it will keep you alive!" –"The Care and Feeding of Energy Weapons", excerpt from the X-Corps Training Manual.

The "Torch" is the second generation of laser weaponry and a definite step up from the earlier pistol design. Its main advantages over the laser pistol are vastly increased damage, accuracy and maximum effective range. It is our first genuinely adequate tool for engaging Aliens in prolonged medium-range ground combat situations.

The laser core runs along the length of the rifle's barrel. Its increased barrel length has allowed us to fit in a larger semiconductive diamond core, consequently multiplying the laser’s intensity. When the Laser Rifle's trigger is pressed, a bank of high density capacitors discharge an electrical impulse within the laser core, where the energy is transformed into photons, amplified virtually instantaneously, and released in short and intense laser pulses. As soon as the Laser Rifle fires, its banks of capacitors begin recharging and the laser core disperses the heat generated, resulting in a moderately fast, sustainable rate of fire.

Due to its lack of moving parts, the Laser Rifle requires little field maintenance. In fact, if the weapon’s case remains sealed, the weapon's estimated lifespan is 2 years of sustained use before needing a laser core replacement.

Overall, the Laser Rifle has proven itself admirably, and should be issued as a replacement to our standard rifles despite its greater cost. Its increased damage and range may allow our troops to gain the edge with the Aliens.

"When I saw this baby in action, I knew I had to get one. Our old rifles could barely penetrate even the thin hides of the little bug-eye Aliens; this 'Laser' rifle cuts through just about anything instantly. When I first tested this weapon, we set up an Alien dummy, you know, one of the grey ones. I fired a single shot, and it burned a hole clean through the dummy and half-way though the reinforced wall behind it.  I can’t wait to zap a Grey with it!" -Cpl. Alex Dupont

• 2 weeks later...
Please notice this post and the corresponding renders. Think of sth regarding that matter. I won't move the text back to active for sth like this. I would recommend usage of a trigger working similar to a touchpad. Have fun... :)

Guest Azrael
Please notice this post and the corresponding renders. Think of sth regarding that matter. I won't move the text back to active for sth like this. I would recommend usage of a trigger working similar to a touchpad. Have fun... :)

It shouldn't be that hard to add a trigger for us to have to invent something that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

It shouldn't be that hard to add a trigger for us to have to invent something that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

Actually it is pretty hard, plus it increases the polygon count dramaticaly.

Guest Azrael

Actually it is pretty hard, plus it increases the polygon count dramaticaly.

How can a reeeeeeally small trigger increase it dramatically? :blink: plus, the trigger is solely for the Xnet, in which models are going to have high polycount, so what's the big deal?

How can a reeeeeeally small trigger increase it dramatically? :blink: plus, the trigger is solely for the Xnet, in which models are going to have high polycount, so what's the big deal?

Well, this really small trigger has a curved surface making it quite poly-rich. As for the xtra model for the xnet: If AWD is willing to do it, all the better; but this would be quite some extra work for them as well for PRG, so I think this might produce some problems...

OK, just ignore my first post. as of decision by RK we will wait and see if people find this disturbing or not...

I have to admit, this troubles me a bit, but maybe LFO is correct, maybe I'm a bit too considerate... :)

I was sort of thinking of having two touch-sensors- one in the trigger area, the other in the thumb area. The weapon can only be fired when the operator clenches their index finger and thumb, so the weapon wouldn't accidentally fire more frequently than a trigger weapon... Edited by Astyanax

I was sort of thinking of having two touch-sensors- one in the trigger area, the other in the thumb area. The weapon can only be fired when the operator clenches their index finger and thumb, so the weapon wouldn't accidentally fire more frequently than a trigger weapon...

Keep the thought, maybe one day... ;)