Concept Art / Fan Art

gu35s

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dangg...... Oh. It's using holoscreen and crystal shapes. Is psilab supposed to use alien tech in it? I I didn't know that :\

Anyway. I'll try some more base on your concept.

Edit: I am getting a job soon (hopefully) My spare time is going to be cut short for modeling :\

Edited by gu35s

dangg...... Oh. It's using holoscreen and crystal shapes. Is psilab supposed to use alien tech in it? I I didn't know that :\

Edit: I am getting a job soon (hopefully) My spare time is going to be cut short for modeling :\

Best of luck in getting the job. Having money is aways useful.

I think the psi lab is a late game addition to the xcorps so would have some alien influence. I meant to enclose the screends but never got around to it. The only "crystal" shapes are the vats whics are more coffin shaped than crystal.

It seem to me, in your drawing, that it would look cool if it's a pool instead of a coffin. The trainee would lie inside the pool pod either a float or submerged. Then there would be somekind of psiprojector from above projecting straight down to the trainee's face.

There's a manga that I liked called Ryuuroden. The story goes that the main character was rendered total paralyze by his sensei. Then he had to 'heal' each part of his bodily function by using his consciousness. Afterwards, he can control his every muscles of the body.

So I was thinking something that is not THAT extreme, but using similar methods. The pod would render a shutdown(or stasis) to all sensory input part of the brain. Which means trainee would be deprive of all outside influence and would be fighting with his mind only.

@dteviot: Thanks for the support :D

Edited by gu35s

It seem to me, in your drawing, that it would look cool if it's a pool instead of a coffin. The trainee would lie inside the pool pod either a float or submerged. Then there would be somekind of psiprojector from above projecting straight down to the trainee's face.

There's a manga that I liked called Ryuuroden. The story goes that the main character was rendered total paralyze by his sensei. Then he had to 'heal' each part of his bodily function by using his consciousness. Afterwards, he can control his every muscles of the body.

So I was thinking something that is not THAT extreme, but using similar methods. The pod would render a shutdown(or stasis) to all sensory input part of the brain. Which means trainee would be deprive of all outside influence and would be fighting with his mind only.

@dteviot: Thanks for the support :D

I don't understand what you are talking about. each of thos coffin shaped things are individual pools where the subject is submersed and has a sort of rebreather mask on so he can survive in the solution. I don't see the point of submersing pods inside the pool with life support.

I don't understand what you are talking about. each of thos coffin shaped things are individual pools where the subject is submersed and has a sort of rebreather mask on so he can survive in the solution. I don't see the point of submersing pods inside the pool with life support.

Just a thought, for something a little different, how about instead of individual pools, there's a single ring shaped pool.

I was thinking about that too, how bout it Vaaish?

Anyway, I will start building from the concept later tonight. But before then, here's something to read.

Email from someone who was trying to scam me.

----------------------------------
TO: me

could you Let me know the condition of this unit and the attacheched accesoriess.....

Get back to me if you still have it for sale.

Thanks.........

TO: Davies Kelsey <[email protected]>

It is still as good as new since I only used it for a month. The top of the box is slightly rippled since I closed it the wrong way once, but that's pretty much it.

Thanks.

The prefect condition of your item has motivated  me to go for this item of yours and it would be my pleasure if you sell to me. I will like to make a quick payment about this item.
So i will be making my payment through my Alertpay account which you will receive your money from them through postage without been stressed. I am highly impressed with the condition and don't want to loss it to anyone, the condition will make me offer you $600.00 for this item of yours.
For the shipping, the whole process will be done by me as soon as you received the confirmation email, i will send you the fedex shipping label and invoice you will paste on the package, then you kindly take a walk to the nearest fedex drop off location to your outlet and drop it there.
After reading this message and my offer is accepted, kindly get back to me with your full name, address and phone number, so we could proceed with the transaction. I look forward to your quick response....
 Regards...

Sure. Please use this name and address for the Alertpay.

Name: Remmac SamaI
Address: 7h Guactogi Tihs, HO

Thanks

it remain the zip code and the city you are..get back to me on time.........

Sorry, I got excited I forgot to put this in there.

"Please read everything backwards."

Thanks.

The email stop afterwards :P Who got it before reading the last email? :D

(Sorry for being off topic)

Edited by gu35s

Well, here's 3 hours of modeling

PsiLab v4 ss01

PsiLab v4 ss02

PsiLab v4 ss03

PsiLab v4 ss04

PsiLab v4 wireframe

I added a shower room for those agents that wants to get rid of whatever they are submerge into a little before going back to their beds. Tho that is a seperate build, so it can be easily taken away.

Then the secondary monitoring at the first level. Which I inteded it to be more of a power monitor for the whole spire instead of individual pods monitored by the second level computers.

And also some drinks on the tables behind the pods monitoring computers.... well, more or less.

I was thinking about adding the chairs for the 2nd level computers, but it's quite tight as is. Did I screw up scaling again?....

The server rooms are now compressed to just enough space for the servers, elevator/antigrav machine, and tight walkway.

What ya think?

You mean somewhat like the pool wherein the precogs float while sleeping and ehhr... 'dreaming' their predictions in Minority Report (the film), right?

I stilll think the psilab needs improvement, and I'm unsure of why you made several of the changes to it. Why did you turn the pods around so that they face out instead of in. mens everyone has to lie with their feet toward the center. I also think that "room" looks more tacked on than useful it would look better to just have equipment around the walls of the lower level than to make a separate room for it. that core is supposed to contain the lidfesupport and processing systems.

@Blue.Shark: Nope. Someone else would have to. I can't texture :\

Psionic Training Facility _v4.2:

- Add thin low wall on uper deck

- Add 2 Player Box

- Modified Pods

- Took away "shower room"

Psilab _v4.2 View 1

Psilab _v4.2 View 2

Psilab _v4.2 Spire View 1

Psilab _v4.2 Spire View 2

Edited by gu35s

okI really like the center spire now. that fits in pretty good. Now go take a look in the base facility threads (probably in the completed art section) to see how generators are placed and what the general form of the control panels are. I'd also round out the catwalk around the spire so it fits better, loks a little odd having accespoints all around it and a square hole. even a diamond shape would be better.

I'm guessing the little tiny pads by the spire are elevators? I'd take them out and just have ramps going down to the lower level so more people can go up and down at a time (10 ppl minimum observing up top that would be a little annoying to get up there)

I do like your low angled console in the lower level, maybe put one in each corner sith generators in between 2 of them?

As for the control panels, since this room is preety much influenced by alien tech, I was thinking of using holoscreen. Still using keyboard and such though.

The ramp, coming from left of entrance (other side of low angeled console) up to 2nd level. so kind of L shaped. And since the elevator is taken out, I think I'll replace the big hunk in the server room with the control console from psilab_v3 server room. And move the entrance out of the way of pods.

I can't seem to find generators except the generator in basement for laser defense. I was thinking similar thing. Under the spire is a cylindrical generator with wider base and some pipes connected to the ceiling as life support and solutions flow lines. Entrance is under the L ramp of upper levels. Around the generator is a tank of the solution, an O2 tank, some smaller seperate O2 tanks for backup and some other junks.

Please give more suggestions for the 2nd floor tables beside the big screen tv. Should I left it as is (coffee tables) or add some other things like medikit and such. How bout the 2 wide screen TV across from the deck?

By the way, is the medigun finalized? It... doesn't seem right....

Edited by gu35s

medigun isn't done.

as I said look through all the other facilities, we have the mind shield and the other defense modules all of which can give a good idea of the layout ofthe control areas and what the equipment looks like in them.

we have hte spire, the spire is the computing and life suport systems. Lets not put power generation there too. put that around the walls to give variety to the levels, make the server rooms have an angled wall so thatthey fit around the pods instead of locking yourself in to squares.

as I said I like that little angled console in thebotom level,,, put them around the spire on the lower level. but add maybe a raised platform or some other consiles behind them to tie it together and keep them from floating in the middle of the floor.

don't use the huge screen no other lab has one and there doesn't seem to be a reason to haveit here. again add machinery, consoles stations around those other edges.... look at the alien containment.

I've been gone for a couple of days doing work interview and my website. But it seems no one is interested in giving feedbacks :\

I am going to start on other models when I got home then. I have been thinking about a new model for the medigun. We'll see how it turn out :)

the server rooms really aren't working, replace them with more raised platfroms like you have in the opposite right corner.

kill the lower level.

instad of an L shaped ramp just make it a single straight ramp going to the lower floor. and maybe put one on the other side too.

more the doors to the upper level and make a single straight catwalk going to the door on the far side of the room.

Sorry, whaa?

Here's what I got. Replace server rooms, remove basement, ground level becomes basement and raise the door to ground level. And make a catwalk from the center to the farside door. Right?

Well, I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I find it very cool. Especially in a gameplay :P

PsiLab_v4.4_ss01

PsiLab_v4.4_ss02

PsiLab_v4.4_ss03

PsiLab_v4.4_ss04

PsiLab_v4.4_ss05

Now. Where should I put generators? I was thinking a few platform on second floor but without access. I was thinking that if it's this late in the game, technicians would be wearing flying suit (or something similar) and can get to it. And of course, it would be a great sniping point since no one will be able to come at you except by throwing grenades, blaster bomb, and psi attacks.

I'm gonna rest and start the medigun later tonight.

Edited by gu35s

Here's Medigun.

Medigun_v1

I got the idea from speed gun. Sensors in the from will give a full scan (X-ray and ultrasound?) of area placed on and the needle in will inject ( x( ) the proper solution selected. The buttons located under the monitor are not that great. Though this is just a preliminary concept. I was thinking maybe putting a trigger like a gun so that after selection user would have to trigger it. Double safety. But of course in the game, player would just have to click on a button. The fourth (or first) button was just for scanning so it doesn't do anything in the game. The tubes in front are just for easy replacement so the technicians/engineers/scientists can easily replace new solutions. Of course, in the case of having other solutions tubes available, the players can change the solutions accordingly. Say, adrenaline shot (not stimulant), steroids, relaxant, etc.

Any ideas?

Edit: Dang. Cramp view isn't it? Sorry.

Edited by gu35s

Mhhh I dont know, but to me it seams that concept art shouldnt be render type of drawings... pen or pencil for scketches, oils or whatever hybrid or digital technique for final takes (not model renders) is what we need from a concept artist. Can you do that?

Greetings

Red Knight

Mhhh I dont know, but to me it seams that concept art shouldnt be render type of drawings... pen or pencil for scketches, oils or whatever hybrid or digital technique for final takes (not model renders) is what we need from a concept artist. Can you do that?

Greetings

Red Knight

I disagree, concept art should be done using whatever tool the artist is comfortable with. Although as the intent is to go thought ideas quickly, (most of the concepts are not going to pan out) ideally it should be something that doesn't require a lot of time/effort

Well, I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I find it very cool. Especially in a gameplay :P

Now. Where should I put generators? I was thinking a few platform on second floor but without access. I was thinking that if it's this late in the game, technicians would be wearing flying suit (or something similar) and can get to it. And of course, it would be a great sniping point since no one will be able to come at you except by throwing grenades, blaster bomb, and psi attacks.

I'm gonna rest and start the medigun later tonight.

ok thats more like it. kill that weird floating 3rd floor station it doesn't add anything to the module and forces it to be 3 stories.

take the control panels that are up against the servers on the lower floor and rotate them and place them against the walls of the module on that raised platform.

don't ad the weird little "frill" to the catwalk that goes across to the door, just make it straight.

remove the walls around the platforms and walkways they seem to make the module feel more claustrophobic.

the platform touching the coffin opposite the servers. Can you pull the width of the platform back a bit so that it doesn't touch?

finally the 2tow pannels facing the "holes" on the control deck, can you rotate them 180 degrees and stick the up against the wall so they come up to the doors? I think that will make that area a bit more open.

no generators its assumed that it will either get power from outside the modul or they are contained in the central column.

Edited by Vaaish

if I move the consoles near the hole to the door, it would be a preety tight walkway. Maybe make the hole smaller then. As for the walkway to the door, the catwalk is smaller than the door, that was why I added the circular balcony. Or would you prefer a simple =<| to the door. or just a straight line disregarding the sides?

The platform near the pod is not touching, but it is pretty close. I'll try to pull it back just enough so there's enough space to walk behind the console.

@redknight: I do have lots of sketches for all the rendered ones. It's just that I pack them up so much no one will be able to understand. So I just picked the best model and make a quick 3D. Which took 30 minutes. If the model doesn't work, then I can start a different model, but if it works but need tweaks, I'll do the tweaks according to suggestions.

I usually do the models around night-midnight, and it's still 2pm here. So . Suggestions?

Edit: oh, and Vaaish. Your reply quote contains double images from my post. Maybe take the images down would be better for slow connection viewers. Thanks.

Edited by gu35s

the walkway will be wide enough. as long as it doesn't obstruct the door itself. look at nowthe barracks is in the bunk ends of the module to se what I mean. do not shrink the door size to make them fit. if necessary mold the casings of those consoles to fit there it will make the module look alot more organizedthan it is with them sorta placed on the edge.

in that case go with a simpler _/- (shows one side of the catwalk)

the only place that needs the circular baclony is around the spire.

Edited by Vaaish

How about if there's only single ramp to lower floor? Then the other side will lead to the far end door in L shape (remove catwalk from center spire to door... or not). With this, the console at the lower floor can be fitted into the corner. Edited by gu35s

ok. those weren't the right changes. delete what you did and revert to what you had before I commented last time. and re read the changes I put down.

you also rotated the upper consoles 90 degrees not 180 like i said which puts them up against the wrong walls.

Edited by Vaaish

woops.

I was in a hurry so I just picked it out from memory.

here's the version you asked for, except for the ramp to the door which I think look heck of weird if it's just straight line to a door with two empty edges that if someone don't see where they are going, they would just fall off to the lower level. That and I made a little more space at the corner of the holes near the upper level consoles.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Edited by gu35s

Dteviot: The process in industry is: Sketches (rough), refined Sketches, Pose Paintings/with Colored Pencils, Sometimes even sculptures, Modelling, Texturing, Rigging... the reason is pretty simple, it is more time consuming having a similar 3D model just from the start, it takes several full time days to have a somewhat high quality model (let alone textured) sample. On the other hand, a seasoned artist can do several sketches in a day, a couple of high quality colored paintings a day and 2 to 3 days for a high quality sculpture.

In the end, the time taken to go 3D is just too much even if you sum all those steps toghether... There is a reason while everyone goes that road. ;)

Greetings

Red Knight

Greetings

Red Knight

I disagree, concept art should be done using whatever tool the artist is comfortable with. Although as the intent is to go thought ideas quickly, (most of the concepts are not going to pan out) ideally it should be something that doesn't require a lot of time/effort

My pc is acting up and I had to reinstall OS. After that, nothing works. So I have to reinstall a lot of things. Good thing I have a firefox backup, cause for some reason my ie can't use xenocide site. anyway, I'll take some time.

Oh and how is the last PsiLab version? According to specs?

My pc is acting up and I had to reinstall OS. After that, nothing works. So I have to reinstall a lot of things. Good thing I have a firefox backup, cause for some reason my ie can't use xenocide site. anyway, I'll take some time.

Oh and how is the last PsiLab version? According to specs?

haven't had a chance to check it out yet... image shack is blocked at work and I've been busy all evening.

ok it looks good from here, when its actually built we will tweak the look of the consoles. The adition on the corners is good too.

Can you render it off with ambient occlusion and an offset omni so we can make ot detail and drop the ceiling height to match the 2 stories now.

um. eh ... wha?

what's ambiient occlusion? offset omni?

I'll try to make the details show up as much as possible.

If the psilab is 2 leveled and there's a basement, wouldn't it look weird since the other rooms have upper level? Couldn't we just leave the upper level wall high for more breathing space? Just askin.

ambient occlusion is a function in blender under the world pannel ambient occlusion. click it to turn it on and then choose 16 samples

make sure you have raytracing (the ray button) enabled in the render panel.

an offset omni light is the same thing as teh inital omni light that is created when you start blender w/o opening an existing file. by offset I mean just move it around so that wherever your camera is its about 45 degress off of it to help add light and shadow to whats being seen.

no, it'll look odd to have all teh extra space. if you check the base modules thread the modules depending on the number of levels can go above and below the "ground" level. Doesn't make it an more weird than having a base above ground that has multiple buildings with different levels.

I just received a big freelance project so I won't be updating for a while. I'll do the lighting when I have the time.

As for the recruitment test, it would have to wait. Sorry Vaaish & red knight.

Have fun y'all.

Dteviot: The process in industry is: Sketches (rough), refined Sketches, Pose Paintings/with Colored Pencils, Sometimes even sculptures, Modelling, Texturing, Rigging... the reason is pretty simple, it is more time consuming having a similar 3D model just from the start, it takes several full time days to have a somewhat high quality model (let alone textured) sample. On the other hand, a seasoned artist can do several sketches in a day, a couple of high quality colored paintings a day and 2 to 3 days for a high quality sculpture.

In the end, the time taken to go 3D is just too much even if you sum all those steps toghether... There is a reason while everyone goes that road. ;)

Greetings

Red Knight

I know that's how industry does it, it's the most time efficient way. So gives best bang for effort.

But, we're not an industry. So if a contributor is most comfortable doing draft work in 3D studio, and that's how they want to do it, we should let them. Although we might suggest the sketches route will probably be less work and faster.

We are in the business of waste the less effort :), models do not get finished because of endless tweaking because concepts start as models. So in order to avoid that, if someone is a concept artists I prefer not have models from him ;).

Greetings

Red Knight

• 1 month later...

It seems my works never ends. Work sleep work sleep, and eat in there somewhere. I attach the psionic training facility in zip of blend file. can someone please do what Vaaish asked and post it here?

And by the way, the subtitle of this thread is PLEASE CHIME IN YOURS TOO so please post anykind of fan arts you have. I won't be able to do anything else for a while, but I check back once in a while. And I would like to see someone else's fan arts too.

Btw red knight and Vaaish. I don't think I will be able to do that research and drawing for the test, so consider me retreating from recruitment. But, of course, the things that I posted can be freely taken into the game if it meets your liking.

Thanks.

psychtrainfal_v4.zip

Edited by gu35s

• 2 months later...

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/113/psytrfacv401le7.jpg

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/8570/psytrfacv402ig6.jpg

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/4306/psytrfacv403jw0.jpg

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/662/psytrfacv404xc8.jpg