XP bug?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_czmtzc_*

Guest_czmtzc_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2002 - 02:59 PM

I just downloaded Xcom, I applied the fix patch, and was ready to run. I started the game from the fix loader, and was greeted with the microprose logo and the distinctive synth music I rember from so long ago.

Unfortunatly, the screen started blinking every second or so. I was able to see enough to click the buttons to quit, but the game is unplayable. I tried fiddling with the graphics acceleration settings, the XP compatabliity modes, even the Hertz of the monitor.

Nothing changed the operation of the game. The graphics look fine, legible, just like I remember them, they just switch on and off every second or so.

I did read about the known bugs, and the other posts on this forum, but this doesn't seem to be a common problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

#2 czmtzc

czmtzc

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 10:46 PM

P.S. I tried Xcom 2 TFTD and I have the same blinking problem. I also tried using the turbo utility to slow down the processor, but that didn't help. I am using G-force 2 mx/mx 400.

P.P.S I remember having the same type problem when I installed Mandrake Linux 8.2. I had to keep trying different versions of X before it worked. Unfortunately I wiped everything clean about a month ago and I don't have Mandrake installed right now (probably intall 9.0 soon) so I can't tell you what version of X I was using.

#3 Guest_stewart_*

Guest_stewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2002 - 02:08 PM

Somewhere in XP, check the help, there's a Win95 emulation thingie. XP is based on NT which is graphics hostile (and so games hostile). Since XP was intended for home and people play games on their computers, they had to do something.

#4 czmtzc

czmtzc

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 05:25 PM

I tried the compatabiltity modes, for both the original exe, and the xcomfix patch. they didn't make any difference.

#5 Guest_micahdg@xcomufo.com_*

Guest_micahdg@xcomufo.com_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2002 - 12:31 AM

you're not using a flat-panel LCD, are you?

#6 czmtzc

czmtzc

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 02:03 PM

No, it is a regular monitor, a vivitron I believe, about 5 years old, came with a previous computer.

#7 Guest_micahdg@xcomufo.com_*

Guest_micahdg@xcomufo.com_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2002 - 11:28 PM

No clue, man. Sorry. Try the GoneGold.com forums.

#8 czmtzc

czmtzc

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 06:51 PM

Well I got it to work. I brought home a spare monitor from work, and the game works fine. Looks like a hardware problem with the monitor I guess.

#9 czmtzc

czmtzc

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 01:58 PM

:D Problem Solved! I downloaded the OpenGL drivers for my Nvidia card on windows XP from here,
http://www.voodoofiles.com/4673
and the blinking has now stopped. I got the drivers in response to troubleshooting on the Xenocide beta test.

Thanks Micah!

Still don't know why it would work with one monitor but not another.

#10 War_Lord

War_Lord

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 10:48 PM

That's the funny thing about video card drivers... the newest drivers almost never work with every game, and the old ones don't either. When in doubt, use a slightly older version of your video card drivers, they usually contain less bugs than the newest version.

Reply to this topic