XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Gravity Pulse Cannon

Gravity Pulse Cannon v0.1

Our scientists now feel comfortable in using gravity as a main component of personal devices. The gravity pulse cannon is a big step in that direction.

The gravity pulse cannon is basically a modified Xenium engine for personal use. The engine is designed to propel and manipulate gravity waves for a range of several meters.

The engine has two modes of operation:

Shock mode creates a tidal blast of gravity, designed to incapacitate a target. The gravity difference in the tidal blast reaches an intensity around [6-15Gs]. The tidal forces wreak havoc with the target, and can potentially knock them unconcious. The short duration of the blast isn't enough to cause much harm to human physiology. Although this mode is not very effective, the gravity waves have the potential to go through normal walls. This makes it very useful, as crew can stay in safety outside, while dealing with possible threats on the inside. Unfortunately, the [gravity warping] properties of a UFO's hull disperce the gravity waves, and render this attack ineffective.

Heavy mode creates a constant field of artificial gravity. The gravity pulls any object towards the device, with a strength of [.78Gs] at the source. The field works together with earth's own gravity, creating a combined strength of the two. Anything that goes through the field will be pulled toward the user. When pointed up, any objects above will feel the full gravity of earth and the cannon. Everything affected has an increased weight as a result. When pointed down, any objects below will be a fraction of their normal weight. When pointed to the side, the object will fall sideways, gaving the impression of being on a steep slope. This causes extreme confusion among those affected, crippling their ability to percieve their environment, move normally, and aim properly. Many opportunities exist to use that to the agent's advantage. The gravity field is capable of going through UFO walls, though it will have a greatly reduced effect.

Wordy enough? :D My mind is burned out at the moment, so please feel free to reply.

I like it, altough UFOs, hovering aliens/tanks/suits should be almost immune to it, since they can already push stronger than 1G...

But I definitely like the implications... we could push back Chrysalids!! :D

(or suck in corpses and alien weapons, to make sure we don't blow them up... :LOL:)

Oh, and BTW, if your throw in .75G horizontal, it does't negate the 1 G down... you'd have to make it at least 1G horizontal to make it look like the object is standing in a 45 degrees slope... :huh:

• 4 weeks later...
Gravy guns!

I dunno. If you can do 6G for a short period of time... Well, stick a few more power supplies on it (in a tank or something) and you're doing 60G. And *nothing* is going to be standing up against that. Any weapons involving gravity are going to be a little too powerful, IMO.

[quote name='Sowelu' date='Sep 10 2004, 09:21 AM']Gravy guns!

I dunno. If you can do 6G for a short period of time... Well, stick a few more power supplies on it (in a tank or something) and you're doing 60G. And *nothing* is going to be standing up against that. Any weapons involving gravity are going to be a little too powerful, IMO.
[right][post="93741"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Uh... Yeah, sure, I was just going with the given numbers :D

Arrgh... :wacko: nitpicking on the numbers. They can always be changed, to give the weapon a reasonable amount of power.

I'd really like to hear if the idea is sound or reasonable. Such a tool would allow a sort of double-teaming on aliens, allowing one agent to safely cripple the alien with the grav gun, while another blasts away. Would that be too much, or would you love to keep your agents safer in combat?

Hmm... I do recall that a pilot is needed for the Xenium engines. Perhaps the grav gun could be made more powerful for the talented agents, or should it be made to run the same with all of them? I guess it'd depend on the power of the gun.

[quote]I dunno. If you can do 6G for a short period of time... Well, stick a few more power supplies on it (in a tank or something) and you're doing 60G. And *nothing* is going to be standing up against that. Any weapons involving gravity are going to be a little too powerful, IMO.[/quote]
That's why game balance was invented. If any weapon is too powerful, you make it weaker until it's just right. There's also weight to consider, and I doubt that a makeshift gravity gun is going to be anything but heavy.

Elerium gravity control requires a pilot. Unless you can squeeze a human into an Xcap, which are robotic, you won't be able to use it too well. If alien alloys mess up the gravity waves, then you can't have the Xcap too heavily armored either, or it would be counter-productive. Having a light-armored, explosive tank which is hard to use would be a bad thing, I think. ^_^

Also, the battlefield is going to be teeming with plasma and explosions. If the grav gun or agent were to get damaged, you could have 60Gs out of control. Elerium engines haven't been fully mastered, so I'd rather there be a modest strength allowed.

Re: Nitpicking...
Heh, I'm not the one that suggeste .78G on the side... :D

Re: Reasonnable...
Sure, it's a cool idea, it just needs to be consistent...

Re: Pilot...
Exactly, it should be unwieldy, at best.

Re: Game balance...
Exactly!
It should be heavy, SLOW and/or not so great a range (or quadratic reduction of effect on range, perhaps?)

Re: Explosive tank...
Ooo, that's nasty... I LIKE it... :LOL:

Re: Catastrophic destruction...
Gasp!! It would be Uber-COOL to have that kind of dangerous thing in the hands of Aliens!! Forget the Cyberdisk's self-destruct!!! I want them to turn into a mini black-hole when they blow up!!! And Hovertanks too!!! :devillaugh:

I also think such a gravity weapon could be simply used to push/pull, or randomly displace a target, kind of a wildcard... :D

[quote name='Sowelu' date='Sep 10 2004, 08:21 AM']Gravy guns!

[right][post="93741"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Tell that to Gordon Freeman...

Yeah, the Displacer cannon from Half-Life 2 (supposedly). You know, that game most of us won't live to see. Anywho, any new weapon idea sounds great to me...just the idea of being able to grab and fling around Grays, while admittedly intriguing :) , doesn't really seem to fit the more tactical nature I think Xenocide's gunning for.

Hee, hee--doesn't mean we can't throw that in as a bonus, though... ;)

Well, shooting it with Heavy plasma or any kind of explosives will blow it up, but aside from that it's not so fragile... besides, it catches stun bombs without problems... Safest weapon to use there btw, as you don't want to destroy your source of elirium, and if there's lots of buggers around, it's great to knock them down in a single shot (esp. considering they are likely to be engineers :D)