XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Text To Xml Conversion

Hey -

Just out of curiosity, is there a tool that automatical converts normal text files into XML? If not, might it be worthwile to create a simple one? Keep in my, I have no idea what that would entail or if it is just easier to teach XML to each person in the CTD that will be converting them. It just seems that something like a simple conversion tool might exist that is free? I'm gonna golook for one now, but I'd like programmers (ot anyone who knows about things like this) opinions.,

Thanks,

Gold

EDIT: So, I took a look and found nothing that was as straightfoward and simple as I was hoping (at least that was free). In lieu of that, would someone that understands XML either pointout a helpful tutorial website, or creae a short tutorial themselves?

Edited by GreatGold

Hey -

Just out of curiosity, is there a tool that automatical converts normal text files into XML?  If not, might it be worthwile to create a simple one?  Keep in my, I have no idea what that would entail or if it is just easier to teach XML to each person in the CTD that will be converting them. It just seems that something like a simple conversion tool might exist that is free? I'm gonna golook for one now, but I'd like programmers (ot anyone who knows about things like this) opinions.,

Thanks,

Gold

EDIT:  So, I took a look and found nothing that was as straightfoward and simple as I was hoping (at least that was free).  In lieu of that, would someone that understands XML either pointout a helpful tutorial website, or creae a short tutorial themselves?

Did you have a look at the xnet.xml file in the Testing Release? It's plain text. Basicly, you can just copy&paste the existing entry and change the text. Concerning the name, it always has to start with XNET_ and should be unique for each entry (all uppercase latters please).

In order to have Xenocide display the real name instead of the symbolic one you put into the xnet.xml, you also have to create a mapping for it in data/languages/english.xml, just take a look at the existing entries, syntax should be clear then.

For editing the XML-files, I strongly recomment using a validation-tool like XMLSpy (you can download it for free, just google for it). If you have non-valid files, xenocide will most likely crash (you can get info on it in the xenoui.log or Ogre.log files).

Hope my explanations where not too confusing.

Rincewind

P.S: Coding a conversion utility would not work very well as the rtf's differ slightly in structure, etc. so you would have to handtune anyway.

Kander was toying with the idea of a program to translate texts into xml.. Up until this point I've just been doing it with a 10 minute crash course in xml :Coffee:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6182

anyone wanting to scratch the surface with some basics can find some outdated stuff here to toy with.

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4625

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4422

also RK has pointed me in this direction a few times

www.xfront.com

Recommend XMLspy and notepad

so 10min crash course and no programming knowledge.. it's not a bad deal :Coffee: