XCOMUFO & Xenocide

What Now?

Hailfire22

Ok, with the release of the newest stable version I was wondering, what is the dev's plans for the upcoming beta versions?

You are not the first to ask this question, we did not discuss future plans yet. Each ufo2000 developer has his own plans and development priorities :)

Anyway, we well continue working on fixing bugs and implementing features which are listed on the following page: http://ufo2k.lxnt.info/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

As for my global plans, I myself will work on making the game more extendible (new plugins system) and reliable (automatic restoring broken connection with server).

If you are subscribed to the ufo2000 mailing list, you should have noticed that the development did not stop and a bunch of changes have been added to the game already. By the way, did you like random damages added in the latest beta?

Are you going to tweak the morale system more, adding in new weapons, adding more aliens, or just try to balance the game more?

Yes, this all is planned :)

If you are subscribed to the ufo2000 mailing list, you should have noticed that the development did not stop and a bunch of changes have been added to the game already. By the way, did you like random damages added in the latest beta?

Yeah, I subscribed to it but it has a nasty little side affect of filling my e-mail up quickly (and I don't check my mail regularly) so I took a break off of it. I do read it though when I go to the UFO website ;)

Yes, this all is planned :)

:banana: :party:

Edited by Hailfire22

and what about AI?

Well, AI, single player mode, beautiful 3D frontend and a lot of other cool things are planned. Unfortunately not everything can be done so fast, so you need to either have a lot of patience and wait, or help in ufo2000 development :)

As for AI, we need to make a consistent, reliable and properly documented lua interface for the game engine first. We are constantly moving in that direction. Extendend lua modding possibility for adding extra maps, units and items is in development currently.

If anybody is going to start working on adding AI to the game, AI should be correctly integrated into the game engine so that it does not add extra problems. The best way to add it is to make a common high level API for working with the game engine for controlling teams that should be used by local player (mouse clicks and other user input converted to the calls of that API), remote player (incoming network packets converted into the calls of that API) and AI player (lua scripts controlling enemy team using that API). Only in the following way we can build a reliable game and have no need debugging AI specific bugs, network play specific bugs and hotseat specific bugs separately. If the engine works the same for all modes of the game, it will be much easier to test it and ensure that it works correctly. Adding AI as an evil hack can make the sources terribly hard to maintain. AI is a feature which requires skills and good programming experience to implement it properly.

Anyway, I would like to continue AI discussion in a proper thread:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5847

Hi, I just dl'ed this yesterday. Obviously for me it's like being a kid in a candy store. I would like to offer a couple things that would be great additons (I think). (...and hopefully I'm not suggesting anything that already exists, that I'm not catching...)

-The ability to gain experience and save surviving team members for later matches (with this added exerience). I'll usually be playing the game hotseat, so even if this was only available in this mode, it'd go a long way toward replayability.

-I could be way off (and not grasping the logic), but it seems to me for game balance lasers should be lighter in weight than Plasma weapons. Unless the server versions tend to have low point totals per team, it seems almost silly to use lasers instead of the heavier damage plasma weapons. I see little reason to use regular rifles or pistols and the heavier weapons like Heavy Cannon and Autocannon for th esame reason. The weight to damage ratio just doesn't seem to add up to me...again, unless I'm not factoring in some other rationale.

-I guess you already know it'd be great to have snakemen, chrissalids, tanks, and floaters, plus working Flying Armor. As it stands, and because of the limited sight ranges of elevated levels, I don't see a reason to ever go upstairs. Can you even place a soldier on a level other than the first in the beginning? Just curious, I couldn't figure out how to do this, if it's incorporated already.

-If it's possible to get the explosion effect back in the game, it would be great too. It works the way it is, but it's a little bit of a let down not to see stuff blowing upwith the patented skull explosions!

-I guess Psionics are out? I can understand why, I guess...but it would add another dimension...

-A way to disable having to watch the previous team's turn when playing hotseat. I played with my cousin, and it got a tad monotonous having to watch turns twice...

-Can you play a map with the actual alien vessels in the game? It'd be really interesting to fight for control of Battleship or some of the other bigger ships.

Anyway, I'm not trying to complain too much or seem ungrateful. It's a great addition to the X-Com legacy. Thanks for all the efforts of everyoen involved. I really like it.

Edited by Longshot