XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X-COM UFO Defense Intro

Tanki

I've been looking for a quality version of X-COM's intro for quite some time and after finding none I made my own. I shared it with everyone at www.7kplay.net and now I want to share it with everyone here. It took me a long time to put this together so I hope you enjoy. :)

X-COM UFO Defense Intro DOS

X-COM UFO Defense Intro CE

Edited by Tanki

I've been looking for a quality version of X-COM's intro for quite dome time and after finding none I made my own. I shared it with everyone at www.7kplay.net and now I want to share it with everyone here. It took me a long time to put this together so I hope you enjoy. :)

X-COM UFO Defense Intro

It's just the Windows Intro, I am dieing to see what the audio was like for the Pro Spectrum Audio card, i heard it was just awesome.

The problem with the Windows Intro is there are no sounds effects, and the Midi music justs sucks.

I am sorry if i sound like a jerk, I understand you put alot into this. But the DOS version was a 100% times better intro.

But please, ignore me. I am a perfectionist and nothing pleases me, LOL.

Edited by Hark456

No need to feel sorry, I understand some people like different versions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but sound effects weren't added until the PSX version right?

Maybe you could post a link to the intro you are referring to. I might be able to create the video with that sound.

No need to feel sorry, I understand some people like different versions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but sound effects weren't added until the PSX version right?

Maybe you could post a link to the intro you are referring to. I might be able to create the video with that sound.

I got the Audio off of the Patched Dos version.

here it is.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmnzywfkizw

Edited by Hark456

Yep, there was audio in the dos version. Actually, there were two different sets of sound sets depending on the regional game release. Beyond a whole slew of different sound effects, one has the comm operator speaking in clear English, while the other has it muffled (pashofa-pashofa..). I'm guessing the muffled voicover was for the Enemy Unknown release with the clear voiceover for the UFO Defense release. I seem to recall that the Unknown Terror release uses the muffled version but still included the audio files for the clear version.

CE stripped the sound effetcs out of it for no reason. If I were to hazard a guess, it might have been related to difficulties in syncing the music, sound effects and animation.

Depending on your soundcard back then, the music was gorgeous even with Adlib midi output on a 8-bit Soundblaster 1.0. The Windows midi editions never quite sounded as good even when played on the same soundcard.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Thanks! Good to have for nostalgia. Someone should rip the PSX Xcom and TFTD intros for comparison.

I'm actually working on the TFTD intro, but I dont have a psx so I can't get that version.

Thanks! Good to have for nostalgia. Someone should rip the PSX Xcom and TFTD intros for comparison.

I'm actually working on the TFTD intro, but I dont have a psx so I can't get that version.

If you can find original versions of both Xcom and TFTD for the PSX, you can actually load it into an emulator on the PC and play it.

I use ePSX to test old PSX games on the PC.

Also make sure your CDROM/DVDROM is in good working condition to read the game discs.

• 9 months later...

I have converted the entire Intro into GIF format, its in perfect condition and its 1.33mb.

It comes in two sizes Fun Size (original) and Thumb Size.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv300/c...known_Intro.gif

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv300/c...Intro_Small.gif

Edit: On a side note, I fixed the broken links to the DOS and CE intro videos sorry about that.

Edited by Tanki

• 2 months later...