XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Apocalypse Works For Win2k And Xp

Mark0

I finnaly managed to make Apocalypse work on Win2k.

usually it worked on my win2k but the mouse was the only problem.

what i did to make it work??

1)i downloaded the version that has 4 files (10MB each)

EDIT : http://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?s...?showtopic=2319

OR IF U HAVE THE GAME, INSTALL IT AND IT SHOULD BE THE SAME.

STEP 1 ( What is needed)

the version of the link i gave or from the CD

xcom3crk.zip, mouse2kv.zip and vdmsound

(see posts below for links)

--------------------------------------------------------------

(alien dimension maps arn't needed for the version of the link. )

STEP 2:

now install Xcom3.exe

unzip the xcom3crk.zip in your Apoc folder

run the crack ( you wont see what is written in the dos box)

now unzip the mouse2kv.zip in the apoc folder

( all files must be unzipped in APOC folder )

------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 3 :CREATING A BATCH FILE

in your apoc folder. right click, go to New and choose Text Document

now u have created Text Document .txt in your APOC folder

open the text document and write in it :

@echo off

dosdrv

mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 XCOMAPOC.exe SKIP

(Save and exit)

rename your text document to Apoc.txt

now rename again but only change the " .txt " to " .bat " ( it will ask you to change, click YES)

Now your Apoc.txt became Apoc.bat

------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 4:

Create a shortcut to your Apoc.bat

after creating you have : Shortcut to Apoc.bat

Right click on the shortcut created and choose Properties.

(In the properties you should have these options : General, Shortcut, Options, Font , Layout, Colors, Compatibility )

4.2) Go to Options

4.3 ) Look for Display Options

4.4 ) In the Display option we have 2 choices :

- Window

-Full Screen

4.5)Choose Full Screen

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 5 :

Install VDMSOUND ( if u have it installed already SKIP STEP 5 )

after instalation restart your PC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 6: (Sound Setup)

Run Setup.exe choose SoundBlaster port:220 IRQ:7 DMA:1 . Save and exit.( These settings are for VDMSOUND)

Good Luck

Having trouble?

Post in a new Thread about it!

For further solutions, check this page: X-COM: Apocalypse Bug FAQ

EDIT: link changed

Edit: added Xcom3 crack .zip

Edit by Azrael: Tested, this works on Windows XP as well.

xcom3crk.zip

Edited by Azrael

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well I tried this out and it seems to work with no problems yet, but a question though: I have the game on CD (bought in the store) and I'm just curious what is different with this downloaded version and the one I have. I'm asking because the version here seems to be like a shareware (different background in the startmenu for starters) but I could be wrong though. Enlighten me.

The biggest difference is that the hard driver version has not videos and music. A possible explaination for the different background can be either that the hard drive version was copied from an version different that yous (like dos or collector's) or that it was a version released in a different country (which sometimes resulted in small graphic changes between releases.

Thanks for the excellent description on how to get apoc to run in win2k, Mark0. I've taken all your steps and it still didn't work for me, but then I found out I had to be in an ms-dos prompt in full screen (alt+enter) before trying to run the batch file --- that finally worked. :rock:

I'd love to get my hands on the music for the game... Has anyone ever seen the music files available for download anywhere (or can anyone put it up)? Or is it extremely crappy like the sound of the game?

Thanks again!

Well, I didn't mean the sound in tactic. But for example the sound when you press a button in the cityspace and options is lame compared to the excellent sound from the first two games. Or is it only because I'm using the VDM drivers?

• 2 months later...
Guest Dreamflower
where can i get the crack from? *if i need it i mean, i have the CD here in front of me and it tries to kill my nerves *gg* made even a dos partition but it just gave me a strange error message, think has to do with graphicsadapter :)*

Guest fluffymatt

Wow, this is a very random helpful post for me to find.

I managed to get the game to work perfectly on XP following several random combinations from this board.

The one above basically works, but it didn't quite do it completely.

Here is what I did:

Download VDMSound first, this program is great!

Change the options in Windows Explorer to take off the "hide tag extensions" option so that files read .txt instead of just the name. This is invaluable, and allows you to follow the instructions above perfectly.

Download Mousectl, as detailed in another link I found here somewhere and use the stats that go something like 01,02,03,05,06,06,06. Put the command suggested into the VDMSound autoexec.bat file, but be sure to put it right at the end, so xdos is in action.

Then run the bat file that is created by following the above instructions with VDMSound (Done by right clicking the new bat file and selecting "run with VDMS".

Doing all of this seems to have eliminated all bugs I was experiencing along the way, including the mouse scroll bug people elsewhere were complaining of (I think the combination of the mouse program in this thread and the one in the other thread eliminate all those problems.)

WooHoo, it works! :beer:

Thanks.

P.S, I'm really the least geeky person in the world and I managed all this, so don't be put off thinking it's too hard, it really can be done!

got another problem...

i try to install over the install.com from the CD

he finds 300 mb free (of 11GB REAL FREE!!!) of one of my drives

when i wanna install it, it crashes everytime with an illegal instruction

means that i cant even install it on WIN2k, what to do? :(

I found another utility that might fix this install problem here

but I'm not sure, and I can't test this as I don't have a problem like this one. But if anyone encounters this problem you might want to give it a try

Also, maybe you can just manually copy the 'XCOM3' folder from your CD, it might work (you don't need the 'SMK' folder located there tho...)

else you'll just have to download it :)

• 4 weeks later...

I´m sorry for posting this topic here, but you seem to understand what u r talking about and I ran out of options!!

I use Win2k. I tried to do everything and nothing worked! I`ve read all the post about this and nothing! I can`t fiz the Files/Buffers problem... Please...PLEASEEEE...help this lost soul! I`m really desperate!

How did you make ir run in Win2k??? (I`m kinda stupid :hammer: , so please, be patient!)

:stupid:

Obs: Sorry about the bad english! I`m Brazilian! :blink: