XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Base Design Poll

stewart

Poll about the poles  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

None. If I'm hired to save the world, I'm not putting any bases at the poles. Sure you might detect alien activity in those areas but they aren't contributing any money to the project, now are they? Aliens scoring points in the poles have little to no effect on overall country funding either. Bases in those areas are pretty expensive ($950,000 for the Arctic and $900,000 for the Antarctic). So I just beef up the detection net in the other areas of the globe where it's most cost efficient. Plunking a base down in the North Atlantic only costs $500,000 and still offers detection to part of the Arctic plus some of the continental areas. Putting a base down at the southern tip of South America costs $600,000 and allows detection into Antarctica and South America. Catching the drift? :wink1:

What other point would you have (other than detection) to build at the poles? Training soldiers are best accomplished with more bases which are closer to the action. Researching and manufacturing? Those type of bases still do the same thing on any area of the globe. Do aliens attack your R&D bases less at the poles then on the other continents? No. The only other point is what type of terrain you like to fight in. If you like the snow, then a base at the poles gives you a better chance of fighting there. But here again, a base in a nearby region with a Hyperwave will detect into the poles anyway. Finally, aliens don't start many missions at the poles (it's lowest on their priority list). ^_^

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie
Reworded.

The North Pole doesn't really need any bases if you have bases in the regions near or in Canada and Europe. I'm a little mixed about the South Pole.

Back in the early days I used to like to use the South Pole for my psi screening camp and a large scale equipment dump with a two-workshop and one empty hangar operation. It's desolate. It's cold. And there's this image of troops cramming for psi exams in a base in the middle of nowhere. A base battered by icy winds and gusts and where it's night all day long and day all day long during some parts of the year. Oh and penguins for neighbours. Or was it polar bears? One or the other, but not both.

It's quite a waste of a perfectly good intercept outpost though, as it does nil interceptions. Still, I find there's less overall UFO activity there and since I'm not shooting UFOs down much that far south, I expect less base attacks. It's too much of a hassle to protect a full 6x6 block of a base with new recruits in any case. Worst base design ever. ;)

But this was back then. Today? Don't know. Never seem to play my campaigns that long before I start over again.

Still, with what I've learned since then, my changing preferences and the discovery of the goldmines that are alien bases, I don't see a real need to squirrel away such a large amount of stuff anymore - except perhaps a few rarities like plasma rifle clips. I suppose there's large scale psi screening and manufacture, but screening can be spread out and my overall manufacture needs are pretty low.

I think Hawaii would probably be a more interesting base location to debate than the polar caps. :D

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I think Hawaii would probably be a more interesting base location to debate than the polar caps. :D

Hawaii? C'mon, it's out in the middle of nowhere! LOL

Would the Hyperwave extend significant coverage to any contributing region from Hawaii? I doubt it. See, I'm more inclined to save that base and put it somewhere else which needs protecting. I guess the only reason I'd ever build in Hawaii is for catching in-bound aliens before they reach a region (Japan and the US mostly). Shooting down those pesky UFO's over water in a remote area also allows your other bases to focus more on crash/landing sites within the area. Still, with a dedicated intercept base housing 3 Avengers in hangars, you better have a good crew there for defending when the aliens start to retaliate. That, and a good design. :)

- Zombie