XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Research Problem

Kirill

Hi there!

I started playing TFTD today for 2nd time in my life (i tried it a loooooooong but i was also playing EU so i quitted (sp?))

I patched my copy to 1.2 and xcomutil'd it :P But now im having some troubles with research. Although i have mag nav and aquaplastics in my storage, i can't research them (already researched deep one corpse).

Here's the saved game.

Maybe someone can tell me how to solve this problem (hex editing, whatever, i like how im going (though its on begginer and in march, its the first shot in ages and it has ALL the mental mommentum))

Thanks in advance!

EDIT. Tryed BladeFireLight research patch but

C:\XCOM2>RESFIX.EXE c:\xcom2\game_10
X-Com: Terror From The Deep (Microprose (c) 1994)
Research Fixup Util v0.3. By Blade FireLight (c) 2005

Ussage: resfix [dir]
Dir : Directory containing research.dat (default = missdat)

Sorce File: c:\xcom2\game_10\research.dat

MC Reader: bug not found
Alien Sub Construction: bug not found
Aqua Plastics: bug not found

C:\XCOM2>RESFIX.EXE
X-Com: Terror From The Deep (Microprose (c) 1994)
Research Fixup Util v0.3. By Blade FireLight (c) 2005

Ussage: resfix [dir]
Dir : Directory containing research.dat (default = missdat)

Sorce File: missdat\research.dat

MC Reader: bug not found
Alien Sub Construction: bug not found
Aqua Plastics: bug not found

GAME_10.rar

Edited by Kirill

The normal progression to getting the ion armour consists of:

1. Capturing a Deep-One corpse to get aqua plastics and Plastic Aqua Armour

2. Capture a Ion Beam Accelerator sample and researching it

3. Capture a live Deep-One and researching it after the plastic aqua armour and ion beam accelerators to get Ion Armour.

4. And finally research Magnetic navigation to unlock Mag. Ion Armour. This can be researched at any time.

It's possible you've already researched the plastics and IBA's and you're just missing the live Deep-One.

Assuming you have patched your game with the V2 update, Magnetic navigation should become available right away once you've captured one. If not, then perhaps the update may not have been applied properly. The old method for getting it was to locate a Lobsterman navigator.

- NKF

Sounds like something's wrong with your game. Aqua plastics only needs the deep-one corpse, and you don't even need to have any samples to get it. .

Try starting a brand new game, go to a terror site and bring back a Deep-One corpse and see if you can unlock the aqua plastics.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...
Started a new game, everything works now :S Tough luck. Thanks for the rapid responses :)

I dont supose you still have that save? I would like to see what went wrong.

The program only check on the research not the content of general stores.

if (research.HasBeenResearched(RTT_Deep_One_Corpse) == RESEARCH_COMPLETE &&
		research.HasBeenResearched(RTT_Aqua_Plastics) == NOT_RESEARCHED &&
		research.AbleToResearch(RTT_Aqua_Plastics) == RESEARCH_UNAVAILABLE)
	{
		cout << "Repairing bug\n";
		research.SetAbleToResearch(RTT_MC_Reader);
	}
	else { cout << "bug not found\n"; }

-Blade FireLight

Edited by BladeFireLight

• 2 weeks later...

I can't research magnetic navigation although I have it in my general stores. Did you come up with some other fix than starting the game all over again.

edit +

The whole game sucks somehow. Even though I started a new game, I still can't research mag.nav. DAMNIT!

Edited by Puasonen

I can't research magnetic navigation although I have it in my general stores. Did you come up with some other fix than starting the game all over again.

edit +

The whole game sucks somehow. Even though I started a new game, I still can't research mag.nav. DAMNIT!

What version are you using ?

I've had the same problem with my dos version. but i've found somewhere on this forum, that there is a path that fixes this problem. you will find it in my attachment. just simply replace the files and there you go. :)

tftdv2.zip

edit +

What version are you using ?

I've had the same problem with my dos version. but i've found somewhere on this forum, that there is a path that fixes this problem. you will find it in my attachment. just simply replace the files and there you go. :)

Didn't help. I have DOS version running in dosbox.

do you know what version you were runing when you started the game? if the game was started with version 1 and you update to version 2, before researching a lobsterman Navigator, you will never be able to research MagNav.

If you post your save game or email it to [email protected] I can fix it for you.

Edited by BladeFireLight

if the game was started with version 1 and you update to version 2, before researching a lobsterman Navigator, you will never be able to research MagNav.

Well that isn't true. I've had a saved game with MagNav in stores but unable to research them. Then I've updated the game, loaded my savegame and the MagNav was in my research list.. and I have never seen a lobsterman in my life :)

I have downloaded your savegame. When I loaded it there was MagNav available for research. So I added MagNav to your current research list with one scientist working on this project. See if the new save is working properly on your version.

GAME_1.zip

I have downloaded your savegame. When I loaded it there was MagNav available for research. So I added MagNav to your current research list with one scientist working on this project. See if the new save is working properly on your version.

Yeah! At least it seems to work now. Thanks a lot!

The dos version you say? It could be the pre-v2 version of the game. In the version prior to the v2 update you had to get a Lobsterman Navigator to unlock Magnetic Navigation. Odd, but that was how it was - and coincidentally, Ion Armour wasn't a prerequisite for Mag. Ion Armour.

The TFTDv2 update patch ensures that the Magnetic Navigation appears right away, and forces Mag. Ion Armour to have Ion Armour as one of its prerequisites. Makes more sense that way, I guess.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

The dos version you say? It could be the pre-v2 version of the game. In the version prior to the v2 update you had to get a Lobsterman Navigator to unlock Magnetic Navigation. Odd, but that was how it was - and coincidentally, Ion Armour wasn't a prerequisite for Mag. Ion Armour.

The TFTDv2 update patch ensures that the Magnetic Navigation appears right away, and forces Mag. Ion Armour to have Ion Armour as one of its prerequisites. Makes more sense that way, I guess.

- NKF

The problem arizes when you start the game in v1 as the research file does not have the magnav flaged as avalible if item in stock. Patching to v2 then does not mark it as avalible on research of the lobsterman Navigator. :Brickwall:

-Blade FireLight

• 1 year later...
Hey so I'm playing the newest version on Win XP and I've got a problem with getting the MC research path to work. I researched both the MC lab and a live tasoth but the MC reader still wont show up in my research items. Also I saw that if you post your save game than it can be fixed but I dont know which file to post and where to find it.

The prerequisites for the MC Reader are:

MC Reader (in storage at the research base) when you complete research on the MC Lab.

A lot of people easily miss the first bit without realising it. If you didn't have the reader when you completed the lab, then further research into the MC field is not possible.

You'll need to get that file patched. Bladefirelight's research tree fixit might be of some assistance.

- NKF

I have researched and built the MC lab and also have an MC reader in my stores in the same base. I have also tried to install the research fix but it had not remedied the problem. I might have installed it incorrectly. Could someone give me accurate detailed directions as to the exact folder I should be unziping the downloaded file to? Additionally, I have downloaded and am playing my game through steam, if that has anything to do with it.

What I meant was that you had to have the reader in storage at the exact moment that the research for the lab is complete. Without it, the reader is left off for good.

Just reading the instructions for the Bladefirelight's research fixer, you you simply copy it into your game directory. If you run the game with xcomutil, it'll run in between the segments when you switch between the Geoscape and the Battlescape.

It appears you can also run it manually on your damaged savegame through the command prompt by just typing resfix followed by the savegame directory.

If you're not familiar with the using and navigating the command console, there's an incomplete but handy Primer on the X-Com wiki about how to use a Dos console.

- NKF