XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Pistol

uh oh. I just read the "Standard Pistol and Rifle" thread in the art department and realized that the models have been finished. they are heavily based on existing weapons, so I guess I can delete everything concerning caseless ammo and reduced-friction slides. too bad.

...unless someone from the top floor decides that the starting weapons should be a bit more high-tech, which I think would be nice :unsure:

• 2 months later...
Guest Azrael
uh oh. I just read the "Standard Pistol and Rifle" thread in the art department and realized that the models have been finished. they are heavily based on existing weapons, so I guess I can delete everything concerning caseless ammo and reduced-friction slides. too bad.

...unless someone from the top floor decides that the starting weapons should be a bit more high-tech, which I think would be nice  :unsure:

Starting weapons are similar to today's, because 2012 is not that far to possess really high-tech pistols (or high-tech looking pistols), and also to create a constrast between starting weapons and the latter ones like the lasers.

So, if caseless ammunition really looks so different, we'll have to modify the text, indeed.

Guest Azrael
Well, true, 2012 isn't that far off.  But still, at the current pace of technology, you never know, do ya?

Yes, weapon technology advances fast (<_<), but that's why

and also to create a constrast between starting weapons and the latter ones like the lasers.

So, if caseless ammunition really looks so different, we'll have to modify the text, indeed.

I think that's a very important reason :)

Well, true, 2012 isn't that far off.  But still, at the current pace of technology, you never know, do ya?

Yes, weapon technology advances fast (<_>

We just have to make sure we finish V1 before then. LOL

Edited by Astyanax

no, actually, apart from superfluidity in certain substances at near-zero temperatures, NOTHING is frictionless.  :P

it uses "its own momentum". so what I'm saying is that the slide starts moving, inducing an electric current in the magnets, which creates a magnetic field, which lifts the slide. at the same time the slide slows down, because of the induction and because of the magnetic fields. all the system does is waste kinetic energy :) which is exactly what is intended. and a nice side-effect is that the slide is lifted a tiny bit from its rail, so friction is reduced. I can't find any logical flaw in it... perhaps someone else can  :hammer:

Using magnetism to reduce friction would make the pistol quite large and heavy. But please remember the friction can be reduced with the right kind of materials. Imagine a skater on a skating ring, there's not much friction between steel and ice, as long as there's a tiny amount of water smoothing the rough interface.

In the case of steel of steel friction, I think silicone oil, copper covering or other special chemicals will do.

Or even using a special alloy instead of steel for bullets might decrease friction.

Magnetic forces seem strong for stationary objects, but a very fast bullet can't be deviated too much. And magnetic reppeling is a tricky business for a lousy weapon barrel.

I'm not really sure I understand fully this slide business, but usually bullets don't fit well to the barrel in order to get some decent aiming?

Edited by dan2

wait a second, I think you are confusing two things here.

1) bullet--barrel friction

2) slide--rifle-casing friction

1) the bullet is usually a tiny little bit larger than the bullet, so that it is actually shaped by the barrel, which has spiral grooves along its length, so that the bullet is forced into a rotation, stabilizing its flight.

2) the slide (although I don't know if its the technical term for it) is basically the counterweight for the bullet-propelling explosion. it's the posterior part of the chamber, where the ammunition's charge detonates, sending the bullet forward and the slide backwards.

my idea was that the slide, being the main moving part of a rifle (because it is violently thrown backwards with each shot fired), has the most wear and tear, and it could be improved by reducing friction between it and the rest of the rifle - through a combined magnetic rail/ magnetic brake system. the magnetic brake would also act as a "shock buffer", decreasing recoil.

wait a second, I think you are confusing two things here.

1) bullet--barrel  friction

2) slide--rifle-casing  friction

my idea was that the slide, being the main moving part of a rifle (because it is violently thrown backwards with each shot fired), has the most wear and tear, and it could be improved by reducing friction between it and the rest of the rifle - through a combined magnetic rail/ magnetic brake system. the magnetic brake would also act as a "shock buffer", decreasing recoil.

Oh, I see, I was really wrong, then. I thought you were talking about reducing friction for the bullet itself. Sorry.

Magnetic brakes? I guess this slide is made of one strong magnet oriented one way and another one stays several milimeters away in the opposite direction (in the repulsing way) as a stationary magnet. It's probably going to atenuate the shock with less friction.

Sorry for my craisy talk, yes, you're right proposing a magnetic shock disperser, excelent, but I would use strong permanent magnets, no electromagnets are really necesary

Edited by dan2

Just make sure the bullets don't contain any magnetic metals... LOL

When you put two magnets reppeling each other by force close together, you'll be amazed to see their magnetism decreasing very much :)

But I doubt the bullets will be feromagnetic

static magents? hmmm... I guess you are right, but then again, you would need some very strong static magnets, and even then, you could increase the magnetic field with electromagnetic coils afaik. but whatever it is, don't keep your credit card in your breast pocket, it's too close to the magnetic field :D hey, this could make a nice fluff...

static magents? hmmm... I guess you are right, but then again, you would need some very strong static magnets, and even then, you could increase the magnetic field with electromagnetic coils afaik. but whatever it is, don't keep your credit card in your breast pocket, it's too close to the magnetic field  :D  hey, this could make a nice fluff...

There're some japanese patents for really strong magnets based on lantanides, many times more powerful than normal magnetite or ordinary electromagnets that consume lots of power. Those will work.

I'm recommending the static magnets because this way much of the circuitry is eliminated and the otherwise bulky weapon stays slim, the way it should be

-wrote an alternative version of the paragraph with the magnetic stuff :)

-fixed some typos

-can anyone come up ith something better than "The chamber of the gun has been reinforced and fitted with airtight seals to function as a blast chamber." ? This double "chamber" is annoying me, but I can't seem to avoid it. :(

PISTOL

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Weapons/Pistol

Since the sixteenth century, soldiers have been carrying pistols in combat, mostly as a backup to their primary weapon. Pistols by their very nature are designed to be lightweight and versatile weapons used in close quarters or emergencies.

The design of the T-37 Heavy Pistol is very classical: A rubberized plastic grip contains the ammunition clip, while the main casing contains a precision crafted nickel-steel barrel. The components have been carefully balanced to create maximum stability while firing.

The details show the advanced technology of this weapon. The ammunition consists of caseless rounds, for decreased weight and almost no danger of jamming the loading mechanism. The propellant is molded directly onto the projectile and triggered by an electric discharge, eliminating the need for a metal casing and a firing cap. The chamber of the gun has been reinforced and fitted with airtight seals to function as a blast chamber. The save in cartridge mass was used to increase the amount of propellant and the bullet mass, increasing the damage delivered.

The counterweight slide employs a novel reduced-friction system. When the weapon is fired and the slide starts moving backwards, induction coils convert part of the kinetic energy into an electric current powering the magnetic rail buffering the slide. By this, the system acts as a magnetic brake as well as reducing wear and tear, prolonging the lifespan of the weapon. The recoil is considerably softened.

The counterweight slide features a magnetic shock buffering system instead of the standard metal spring. Strong lantanide-based permanent magnets have been found to buffer the kinetic energy more effectively than mechanical systems, softening recoil as well as eliminating the risk of breaking the system in heavy-use situations.

All in all, the T-37 is the newest and finest in small sidearms. Although many veterans have expressed concerns about using a weapon that has not been "tested" in "at least one World War", it has been chosen for its superior firepower, as well as the very promising caseless ammunition system, particularly because of the low danger of jamming. We believe that our soldiers will need these properties in dealing with the threat at hand.

“Nothing like the T-37 for hunting deer. Or buffalos. Or elephants, maybe. But I personally would use grenades for that”

-Lieutenant Jacques Dulac.

Edited by Moriarty

Looks good, Moriarty. Two minor comments. It should be spelled "lanthanide" in paragraph 4, and I suggest substituting "save" in the last line of paragraph 3 to "reduction" or "savings in cartridge mass were used" (there is also a repetition of "increase" in the same sentence).

I'm not very confident about gun terminology, and unfortunately, I can't seem to find a definition of "blast chamber". Maybe omit that part altogether? "Additionally, the chamber of the gun has been reinforced and fitted with airtight seals (to minimize the loss of kinetic energy?)."

Edited by Astyanax

good points. corrected.

the question remains, though... static magnets or electro-magnets?

PISTOL

Since the sixteenth century, soldiers have been carrying pistols in combat, mostly as a backup to their primary weapon. Pistols by their very nature are designed to be lightweight and versatile weapons used in close quarters or emergencies.

The design of the T-37 Heavy Pistol is very classical: A rubberized plastic grip contains the ammunition clip, while the main casing contains a precision crafted nickel-steel barrel. The components have been carefully balanced to create maximum stability while firing.

The details show the advanced technology of this weapon. The ammunition consists of caseless rounds, for decreased weight and almost no danger of jamming the loading mechanism. The propellant is molded directly onto the projectile and triggered by an electric discharge, eliminating the need for a metal casing and a firing cap. The chamber of the gun has been reinforced and fitted with airtight seals to direct the force of the explosion forward, eliminating the need for a metal case. This reduction in cartridge mass makes it possible to increase the amount of propellant as well as the bullet mass, amplifying the damage delivered.

The counterweight slide employs a novel reduced-friction system. When the weapon is fired and the slide starts moving backwards, induction coils convert part of the kinetic energy into an electric current powering the magnetic rail buffering the slide. By this, the system acts as a magnetic brake as well as reducing wear and tear, prolonging the lifespan of the weapon. The recoil is considerably softened.

The counterweight slide features a magnetic shock buffering system instead of the standard metal spring. Strong lanthanide-based permanent magnets have been found to buffer the kinetic energy more effectively than mechanical systems, softening recoil as well as eliminating the risk of breaking the system in heavy-use situations.

All in all, the T-37 is the newest and finest in small sidearms. Although many veterans have expressed concerns about using a weapon that has not been "tested" in "at least one World War", it has been chosen for its superior firepower, as well as the very promising caseless ammunition system, particularly because of the low danger of jamming. We believe that our soldiers will need these properties in dealing with the threat at hand.

“Nothing like the T-37 for hunting deer. Or buffalos. Or elephants, maybe. But I personally would use grenades for that”

the question remains, though... static magnets or electro-magnets?

Which one you like?

And which one you think it's more suitable, two pieces of metal repelling each other or (at least) two pieces of metal surrounded by a coil through which a current flows generated by an unidentified yet generator that gives electricity from the explosion of the caseless bullet?

Well, your choice :)

good point :) static magnets it is.

PISTOL

The details show the advanced technology of this weapon. The ammunition consists of caseless rounds, for decreased weight and almost no danger of jamming the loading mechanism. The propellant is molded directly onto the projectile and triggered by an electric discharge, eliminating the need for a metal casing and a firing cap. The chamber of the gun has been reinforced and fitted with airtight seals to direct the force of the explosion forward, eliminating the need for a metal case. This reduction in cartridge mass makes it possible to increase the amount of propellant as well as the bullet mass, amplifying the damage delivered.

The counterweight slide features a magnetic shock buffering system instead of the standard metal spring. Strong lanthanide-based permanent magnets have been found to buffer the kinetic energy more effectively than mechanical systems, softening recoil as well as eliminating the risk of breaking the system in heavy-use situations.

Minor nitpicks: (geez, I wish I could see everything at the same time instead of posting ad nauseam... :( )

The design of the T-37 Heavy Pistol is very classical: A rubberized plastic grip contains the ammunition clip, while the main casing contains a precision crafted nickel-steel barrel.

I think the colon should probably be a semicolon since the second part is an independent clause, words after a semicolon or colon are seldom capitalized, hyphenate "precision-crafted", and maybe use "molded", "textured", or "ergonomic" instead of "rubberized"? Imho, "rubber" doesn't sound too high-tech; it rather "Industrial Revolution" to me :P, but then again, you did say it was "classic"... I'll leave that part as it was. I don't know whether "design" is really what you mean- you seem to be talking about the shape of the gun; maybe "contour" would be more accurate?

The contours of the T-37 Heavy Pistol (were heavily influenced by/are highly reminiscient of classical designs); a rubberized plastic grip contains the ammunition clip, while the main casing contains a precision-crafted nickel-steel barrel.

If you take this suggestion, you might want to add a "However," to the beginning of the next paragraph to emphasize the difference between the classical exterior and the high-tech interior.

Maybe change "the risk of breaking the system" in paragraph 4 to "the risk of mechanical failure"?

Edited by Astyanax

• 3 weeks later...

what about this?

PISTOL

The basic setup of the T-37 Heavy Pistol is very classical: An ergonomically molded grip contains the ammunition clip while the main casing contains a precision crafted nickel-steel barrel. The components have been carefully balanced to create maximum stability while firing.

The details, however, show the advanced technology of this weapon. The ammunition consists of caseless rounds, for decreased weight and almost no danger of jamming the loading mechanism. The propellant is molded directly onto the projectile and triggered by an electric discharge, eliminating the need for a metal casing and a firing cap. The chamber of the gun has been reinforced and fitted with airtight seals to direct the force of the explosion forward, eliminating the need for a metal case. This reduction in cartridge mass makes it possible to increase the amount of propellant as well as the bullet mass, amplifying the damage delivered.

The counterweight slide features a magnetic shock buffering system instead of the standard metal spring. Strong lanthanide-based permanent magnets have been found to buffer the kinetic energy more effectively than mechanical systems, softening recoil as well as eliminating the risk of mechanical failure in heavy-use situations.

Okay, i know I picked on it before, but:

'war veterans' that wants to use old guns. OK with the old guns, but... war veterans? This game starts in 2015 AT MINIMUM. So.... if these veterans were actually in X-corps, they would be....

2015-1945+18= 88 years old (I assume they don't join the army as babies). Isn't that..... a little old for fighting aliens?

and thats just an 18 year recruit from the end of the war. If it was a 30 year old sargant, from the very beginning, he would've been 106 years old.....

don't X-corps troops retire????

Edited by mikker

Okay, i know I picked on it before, but:

'war veterans' that wants to use old guns. OK with the old guns, but... war veterans? This game starts in 2015 AT MINIMUM. So.... if these veterans were actually in X-corps, they would be....

2015-1945+18= 88 years old (I assume they don't join the army as babies). Isn't that..... a little old for fighting aliens?

and thats just an 18 year recruit from the end of the war. If it was a 30 year old sargant, from the very beginning, he would've been 106 years old.....

don't X-corps troops retire????

It's 2015, Who's to say there hasn't been a war since 1945. I know there have been quite a few since then. 7 days war, Korean war, Viet Nam, Soviet-Afganistan stuff. US-Afganistan stuff, US-Iraq sutff... TWICE. Only to mention a few, Not even touching on the minor conflicts that rage all the time... There are conflicts raging all over the globe, every day :D

18 @ 2004 = 29 @ 2015

Edited by Cavoe

oh yeah, heh. Forgot that :P

But when I hear 'war veteran', I think WW2. Are you considered 'veteran' if you fought in Iraq?

Guest Azrael
Looks finished to me, but one nitpick;

You don't need the s for buffalo. You can just say "...for hunting buffalo. Or maybe elephants."

:)

Why? that almost sounds as the pistol can only kill 1 buffalo...? :huh:

Looks finished to me, but one nitpick;

You don't need the s for buffalo. You can just say "...for hunting buffalo. Or maybe elephants."

:)

Why? that almost sounds as the pistol can only kill 1 buffalo...? :huh:

one buffalo, more buffalo...... He's right.

Edited by mikker

It's either buffalo or buffaloes, and the latter sounds sillier, so I'm going with the former. I'm sure I've heard it as "buffalo" for plural and never "buffaloes" too.

Ok, I thinks this is done. Any other last comments?

Probably want to move it to the "Completed" area unless there are any final points that anyone needs to make.

• 2 months later...

changed the buffalo thing, otherwise this is just a bump, so: BUMP!!

PISTOL

The basic setup of the T-37 Heavy Pistol is very classical: An ergonomically molded grip contains the ammunition clip while the main casing contains a precision crafted nickel-steel barrel. The components have been carefully balanced to create maximum stability while firing.

The details, however, show the advanced technology of this weapon. The ammunition consists of caseless rounds, for decreased weight and almost no danger of jamming the loading mechanism. The propellant is molded directly onto the projectile and triggered by an electric discharge, eliminating the need for a metal casing and a firing cap. The chamber of the gun has been reinforced and fitted with airtight seals to direct the force of the explosion forward, eliminating the need for a metal case. This reduction in cartridge mass makes it possible to increase the amount of propellant as well as the bullet mass, amplifying the damage delivered.

The counterweight slide features a magnetic shock buffering system instead of the standard metal spring. Strong lanthanide-based permanent magnets have been found to buffer the kinetic energy more effectively than mechanical systems, softening recoil as well as eliminating the risk of mechanical failure in heavy-use situations.

“Nothing like the T-37 for hunting deer. Or buffalo. Or elephants, maybe. But I personally would use grenades for that”