SupSuper

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

- matrixes can't store names

How about limiting them to 9 and store it in STR1-9? :)

well, only good thing i can see in that is you being able to customize their names. i'm still not gonna waste memory or time on doing a random name generator.

Edited by SupSuper

well, here's the progress of the flat world view for the geoscape. do u think the size is ok or should i make it bigger and just split it into various screens?

also, if u think changes should be done to the world, freely do so as long as u don't modify the image size and only use black and white.

world.gif

well, here's the progress of the flat world view for the geoscape. do u think the size is ok or should i make it bigger and just split it into various screens?

also, if u think changes should be done to the world, freely do so as long as u don't modify the image size and only use black and white.

You could cut off the UK and save some pixels :devillaugh: Let the pillow (or dart) throwing begin :happybanana:

well, only good thing i can see in that is you being able to customize their names. i'm still not gonna waste memory or time on doing a random name generator.

Also, you don't have to make a random generator, but you could still put some simple names in strings... name them after us :happybanana:

How are you going to get a functioning game in 128k of memory; I don't get it?

neither do i. but that's the whole fun of it ^_^

besides, i've seen many small and great games for the ti-86 (simcity2000 anyone?) so i'm gonna give it a shot.

Also, you don't have to make a random generator, but you could still put some simple names in strings... name them after us :happybanana:

hmmmm... i'll think about it. chances are u might get ur wish :)

How are you going to get a functioning game in 128k of memory; I don't get it?

neither do i. but that's the whole fun of it ^_^

besides, i've seen many small and great games for the ti-86 (simcity2000 anyone?) so i'm gonna give it a shot.

Remember "Ant" ain't Xcom! I truely wish you good luck with this.

hmmmm... i'll think about it. chances are u might get ur wish :)

Just do random initials or nevermind just assign serial numbers in order

geoscape in action! :naughty:

also, the more i progress the more i find better solutions to stuff. for example:

- i found a utility that can highly compress up to 128 images into a string file to save space for image-intensive basic games (like mine :P )

- i managed to fix a "bug" which would make you wait like 3 minutes on a normal speed TI-86 just for the Base View screen show up, by adding an extra routine. now it just takes some seconds.

currently i'm working on completing the Crafts screen and giving the Geoscape some action (base placing, UFOs, etc.)

geo.gif

well, i guess all those 404 errors i got were goddamn liars. anyone mind fixing that? :whatwhat:

and if this also happens to be posted lots of time, then i'll go mad. really i will!

random thought:

i guess no1 has the TI model i have >_

also, i think that it's easier if i try to implement the battlescape for the Flash version of X-Com then the TI version, so TI version will be the one to get simulated results. should work for the best IMO.

well, as soon as i figure out how to do it, it will ;)

also, i finished all the UFO related routines so they pop up all over the world with random size, speed, direction and destination and can be detected by your base. now all it's missing is to enable you to intercept them.

it also seems memory won't be a problem for the game. speed, however, is starting to be, but i'm doing my best to keep the game fast and fun.

how do you install it? i've never heard of the TI. What is it? you said it was a calculator, but how do you play games in a calculator?

is it this?

http://www.vernier.com/calc/images/ti-86.jpg

can i play it on the pc too?

EDIT: oh wait....i HAVE heard of the TI....i have one :unsure: TI-30. I HIGLHY doubt that it can play games though.

Edited by mikker

You have 128k of memory. :huh:

Ummm

Good Luck!

the orignal x-com WITH save games, WITH colors, and WITH random name generator was about 2400K. that shouldnt be too hard, should it?

well... here's v0.2 of X-Com 86 if anyone wants to try it out. beware LABEL errors since not everything is fully working ;)

just run XCOM86, beware the long first-time loadings and enjoy.

Thats a lot of downloads for a calculator program

well, it's made in basic (not assembler) so it's split up in parts to make it faster and easier to program. if it was all in one program it would be uber-slow! <_>

how do you install it? i've never heard of the TI. What is it? you said it was a calculator, but how do you play games in a calculator?

is it this?

http://www.vernier.com/calc/images/ti-86.jpg

can i play it on the pc too?

EDIT: oh wait....i HAVE heard of the TI....i have one  :unsure: TI-30. I HIGLHY doubt that it can play games though.

- you need a TI-Graph Link to transfer the program from your PC to the calculator.

- yes, that'd be the one :)

- sure, you just need to get a free emulator, but although emulators are free you still need to buy the real calculator (or it'd be warez) or get one from a friend and transfer its BIOS to your computer (the emulators have full instructions on that).

- no idea. if it can display graphics and you can make programs for it, then it should, but it's still very relative ;)

and about the memory thing: it should all fit in the calculator, since the graphics are what ocuppy most space (and being in basic and not in assembler. i don't program in assembler. the only time i tried i crashed my calculator :whatwhat: ). after all, i've seen a pretty good simcity2000 conversion for the ti-86 in just 20k.

i don't think my calculator can do this. Its only for...well...calculating. It doesn't show any graphics at all.

How much does a ti-86 cost?

Edited by mikker

If the price is still the same that would be around 1200 danish ones ;)

Yes, thanks for the klarifikation (if you have said SKR i would have undorstood it :))

hmmm....that is quite a nasty prise for a calculator. Even for a game console - calculator :D

Doh! Sorry 1000 DKR(?) is 1200 SEK (that's what its called, I checked it up). So it's a bit cheaper. :) (The 83 that is ;) the 86 might still be a bit more costly).

But then again, "you can do anything" with your graphical calculator ;)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! the moment i complete the new battle (interception) engine for the game, BAM, the calculator runs out of batteries and down goes its memory with it :crying:

so, i guess it's back to the drawing board. still, i'm also working on converting the whole UFOpedia's images to calculator format (size and color) as well as doing the manual for it. i'll give you some screenshots later :)

How will you make room for hyperwaved ufos?

i'll add a More button which shows up a new screen with the hyperwave data.

before i get the battle thing working (it's bound to be lots of work) i might as well do something that's also hard: get a list of all possible items you can have stored in your base, as well as the space they occupy (could people give me some help on that, since that's something not found in the UFOpedia) so that most configuration screens can work (most of them need to check if u have X item in base).

you have both the alen classes AND the aliens themself.

well, in the UFOpedia you only get Sectoid (live one) or Sectoid Autopsy (researching, for eg, Sectoid Navigator shows up some UFO entry, not a Sectoid Navigator entry). however, you can have in your stores Sectoid Soldiers, Navigators, Engineers, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Whooptido. I have an 85, 86, 89, and 92. I also have a wristwatch calculator :P Yep, I was a ti calculator junkie starting back in '95.

Well I guess things could have been worse :)

That would have been a lot worse! Guess he has to thank the person that introduced him the first Texas Instruments calculator. (And I'm not advertising it because my big brother is working for them) :P