XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Issue #139 Base Facilities Texturing

Vaaish

Today i tried to export barracks into ogre format, but have problem. Still don't have 3ds max (maybe will get it soon). Tried to use Maya 6.0 and Blender 2.4 for conversion, but both failed.

In Maya 6.0 can't get ogre exporter running (strange becouse some time ago everything was ok)

In blender when i imported from .3ds file textures was missing, exporter splited barracks into two files (barracks and table). (also have problems with "clip end" in blender, max value is 1000 wich is to small to show whole facility)

Maybe someone manage to export it? If not i will try once again soon (maybe get that damm 3ds max to that time) :)

Beetle

Do not attempt to convert the final files... export and final working files are the .max format to keep us from havingthis exact problem.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

they are made to be exported directly from 3dsmax to ogre, not exported from max imported to maya and exported. We unified the file type we submit so that we would avoid having to import and export between a bunch of different programs... exporting for the game shold be done from 3dsmax from the .max file.

they are made to be exported directly from 3dsmax to ogre, not exported from max imported to maya and exported. We unified the file type we submit so that we would avoid having to import and export between a bunch of different programs... exporting for the game shold be done from 3dsmax from the .max file.

Ok, so i will try to get max and see how is exporting workng there :). Propably next week, becouse on very old directories on my hard drive i found only 3ds max 3.0 version :)

I think that happens because the table and the actual barracks are two seperate objects... each one has its own unrawp map and such... collapsing the two could reslove this issue, but im not sure what might happen to the unrawps... grouping them could also fix the issue, IF this is an issue...

Also the ressearch lab seems to broken into even more parts like :

Floor section

wall section

Table

Random square thing

Microscope

and two Tubes for holding aliens...

What should i do?

Collapse all of them into one? or keep some of them as diffrent objects? and texture each individiualy?

Edited by Shinzon

Started texturing the lab

The 3ds file already had some texture cords perserved, so I just had to re organize them.

The microscope+computer core(Sqare thing)and what appears to be a monitor(Yes another one) are seperate objects and I will get to them when the main lab is textured

My brazil render doesnt want to start up, so now I am rendering with V-Ray it seems to provide more definition and make the textures look somoother...

Lab_001.jpg

Not sure if it is, but that door to the "freezer"aera should be a separate object. I envision it dropping into the floor to allow access to theroom.

I think that happens because the table and the actual barracks are two seperate objects... each one has its own unrawp map and such... collapsing the two could reslove this issue, but im not sure what might happen to the unrawps... grouping them could also fix the issue, IF this is an issue...

p some of them as diffrent objects? and texture each individiualy?

No it's not a issue at all, exporter should make two objects (one as sub object). Don't worry with that i will get 3ds max and we investige it more later :)

The door was never a seperate object... its part of the freezer walls... should I try and to detach it now? or leave it for later?

Started texturing the Lab...

I added the color strip on the outside... Maybe we can color code each facility?

Blue: Ressearch and Manufacture

Yellow: Storage and Living quarters

Red: Defense, and Training

Edit:

Just noticed some misalignment problems, the wall doesnt seam together nicley on the left pannel near the freezer... That will be next on my list...

Lab_002.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

I likethat color strip looks really nice :)

The yellow/black striping on the door needs to repeat more to make it believably in scale with the characters.

Another update

Scaled down the striping, added "Frost" on the freezer

Touched up chalkboard as well as the table...

Forgot to texture the top part of the door

Lab_003.jpg

Another update

Scaled down the striping, added "Frost" on the freezer

Touched up chalkboard as well as the table...

Forgot to texture the top part of the door

A minor point - feel free to ignore me, but don't most people use whiteboards now, rather than blackboards?

Hmm didnt really think about that one, good point; but there is something... shall I say special about a chalkboard, thats why I also chose green instead of black just a little bit more "Modern"

I also think that a green chalkboard breaks up all that white and blue sterile thing... just a little...

Well maybe, they dont use whiteboards because they are underground, and all the fumes from the markers will make the scientist go a little bit happy? LOL

Or they could just turn the ventelation on :P

Im leaving this out to the people...

@Vaaish: Yeah there is ALOT of space left that I could increase the resolution of the table.

Any suggestions for anything?

Edited by Shinzon

What's that "crate" on the left, storage cabinet?

Pleeeeease, use blackboards! Many scientists still use it, and MIT Lecturers use blackboards (see the Physics opencourseware :D)

Indeed, that table should needs much more detail

No computers?!?! A single terminal at least?

What do these cubes to the right store? Is the Biohazard symbol needed?

What's that text on the wall, Lab LVL 1?

keep the chalkboard... it adds character to the room.... the big box in thecorner is a rack server or computer case....

computer stations could be added on the table...

I believe that the "cubes" to the right that you're reffering to Kafros, the ones with the biohazard symbol, are actually the doors to the alien tubes room. I look forward to seeing alien carcasses suspended in liquid in those tubes.

Hmm didnt really think about that one, good point; but there is something... shall I say special about a chalkboard, thats why I also chose green instead of black just a little bit more "Modern"

I also think that a green chalkboard breaks up all that white and blue sterile thing... just a little...

Well maybe, they dont use whiteboards because they are underground, and all the fumes from the markers will make the scientist go a little bit happy? LOL

Or they could just turn the ventelation on  :P

Im leaving this out to the people...

@Vaaish: Yeah there is ALOT of space left that I could increase the resolution of the table.

Any suggestions for anything?

On suggestion (probably it's a post v1.0 thing) but now that labs only research one topic at a time, hang a big widescreen plasma display on a wall in the lab, and put the XNET image of the research topic on it. (Or even have a mini video wall.)

I believe that the "cubes" to the right that you're reffering to Kafros, the ones with the biohazard symbol, are actually the doors to the alien tubes room. I look forward to seeing alien carcasses suspended in liquid in those tubes.

Actually, that was a typo, as I meant Tubes, and I don't think someone couldn't understand that the "cubes" were doors :wink1:

Will the model be updated, or just textured and put into "complete"?

I like this idea a lot.

It would be sort of weird to see video of something that was not invented yet, though.

I sort of assumed most of the time you'll be researching a physical item, alien, gun, whatever. So you'd put up images of the topic of study.

I like this idea a lot.

It would be sort of weird to see video of something that was not invented yet, though.

I sort of assumed most of the time you'll be researching a physical item, alien, gun, whatever. So you'd put up images of the topic of study.

Concept animations, data sheets and diagrams would also work, you don't really need a video clip of a research topic

There is a tv screen here as well, we could use it to display diffrent ressearch topics, but probably its post V1.0 since it requires a higher load on the coding dep..

There is also a microscope there...

What maps are we allowed to use?

So far I have used a specular, bump and a glow map previously, how about refraction and reflection? for the tubes... just asking ahead of time

How is a glow table? or should I just leave it as flat?

Lab_004.jpg

There is a tv screen here as well, we could use it to display diffrent ressearch topics, but probably its post V1.0 since it requires a higher load on the coding dep..

My mistake, I didn't notice it. As regards loading on the coding dept, you just need to persuade someone there to spend the time. And I know someone there who would very probably be willing to spend the time. :D

Do I suddenly see a volunteer? :P Edited by Shinzon

Do not create the refraction and reflection maps, we will integrate that in the optimal step of the planning for the base facilities ;). For the other maps you are using, those are the standards.

Greetings

Red Knight

Alright thanks :D

Another update

Test tubes textured

Light table tweaked

and a close up of the tubes..

Lab_005.jpg

Lab_006.jpg

Looks great to me.

Two things though)

1) the tables edge doesn't look right to me - it changes width at diffrent places. Same thing with the pannels in the freezer.

2) The top cielding texture looks a bit 'random'. Could it flow a bit better with the edges, maybe?

else this works really well for a lab.

Edited by mikker

Thats lookin good there shinzon...

What mikker said is right there is something wird about the way the center ofthe lighttable matches the edges but it looks much better and higher resthan before. I think the tubes look pretty bood but the appears to be a seam on the front of it thats pretty visible. I'd also like to see the frosting toned back a little it seems a bit overpowering.

Do I suddenly see a volunteer? :P

Well, I haven't done any Ogre programming, but I'm willing to at investigate doing it. Provided it doesn't take me hundreds of hours to do the work, and it doesn't do horible things to performance or program size I'm willing to do it. Note, I wasn't contemplating an animation on the display, just putting an image on the display that changed depending on what was being researched.

Additional points.

1. This will need to wait until I finish the research & manufacturing part I'm working on at the moment. (Maybe done in 2 weeks. Depends on how much time I spend playing Aftershock.)

2. My discussions with Guyver suggest that we may NOT be assigning a single project to a lab. So I may pick an image at random from the topics being researched.

• 2 weeks later...

Small Update:

-Tweaked the table so it doesnt stretch, as well as the wall meeting the freezer

-Tweaked [test tube/Containment Tank] so the seam is less visible

-Tweaked the table texture a little bit (Made the edges of the light table a bit darker)

-Added a Periodic Table of elements to a wall near the server/crate

-Scaled the Microscope station, as well as the server to fit with human height

-Moved the TV around so it doesnt go straight into the ceeling

-Scaled down the frost intensity, shouldn't be as imposing now

Guess I'll start to texture the server/computer/crate next, Im thinking of it being like a server rack, with alot of physics equipment on it (Screens with parabulas and such, sound waves, buttons etc)

Edit:

Woops, forgot the actual render ^_^.

Lab_007.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

Update:

-Unrawped the server/computer

-Textured the server/computer

It didnt quite come out the way I planned it, and the bottom shelf looks a bit plain, don't worry I will be adding some vent holes and fan holes on the side so I dont think the side will remain that plain.

Edit:

The resolution of the server is currently 512x512 and I think that might be a little too detailed compared to the actual walls which are 1024x1024.

Lab_008.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

the server looks ok, Id just add a few vents and make the texture lighter... maybe the casing more whitish nd the racks about 30% black

Buddy those facilities are looking awesome, 120% professional work there... definitly they deserves a huge frontpage entry in the soon revamped web site.

Shinzon rules =b

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight

Update

-Made the server texture a bit lighter

-Added some vents and random decals to the side

Thanks RK, though I will be the first to disagree :P Still a very long way to go and learn.

I guess the server is now more or less done, I will move on to the microscope station; unless someone doesn't like something about the server, feel free to post anything you feel is worth mentioning.

Lab_009.jpg

I think that works better, itsn't nearly as forboding sitting in the corner :) I would just recommed replacing the fan with a few more vents. the fan is making hte whole unit look tiny. but that is quite minor.

I think that works better, itsn't nearly as forboding sitting in the corner  I would just recommed replacing the fan with a few more vents. the fan is making hte whole unit look tiny. but that is quite minor.

That or just making the fan smaller? The ratio of the fan kind makes me see it as a desktop computer. But everything looks great, Good job =b

Small Update:

-Tweaked the server texture

I tried making the fan smaller, but it ended up looking like a ribbit instead.

One problem that I just noticed is that the chalkboards are actualy huge compared to the scale of a person, so there is now way they can reach the top, even the middle of the chalkboard is a long reach, originaly they were giant computer monitors, featuring ressearch data and such, and beacuse of this scaling problem I am thinking of coming back to the monitor Idea...

Lab_010.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

Small Update:

One problem that I just noticed is that the chalkboards are actualy huge compared to the scale of a person, so there is now way they can reach the top, even the middle of the chalkboard is a long reach, originaly they were giant computer monitors, featuring ressearch data and such, and beacuse of this scaling problem I am thinking of coming back to the monitor Idea...

Really big chalkboards exist. They're a bit like treadmills, with a motor that moves the writing surface

Small Update:

Really big chalkboards exist. They're a bit like treadmills, with a motor that moves the writing surface

I think the chalkboards need to be large... these are some complex mathmatics they are working with... and if algebra can take up an entire normal sized chalkboard imagine what the equasions they are playing with would take up.

Easiest solution would be to add a stool or small ladder as a prop so they couls stand on it to write.

Small Update:

Probably too late in the day, but here's what some real supercomputers look like:

The Cray family are very distinctive.

http://images.google.co.nz/images?q=cray&h...G=Search+Images

And heres some more:

http://images.google.co.nz/images?svnum=10...ter&btnG=Search

• 2 months later...

Good Call, I think I will remove that box... and add something a little more spicy...

The chalkboard was bothering me too much so I changed it to a computer screen

Lab_011.jpg

Edited by Shinzon

• 3 months later...

Here is the microcope station that is in the corner... if anyone wants to they can texture it :D

While I will re-make the server...

Microscope.rar