XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Research Tree Bug

Wightpants

Not long after beggining a new game, I was looking through my available research topics to decide what to pick next when I discovered that Magnetic Navigation was available, even though I hadn't even seen a Lobsterman yet!

I saved the game and did a little experiment and was able to research Transmission Resolvers and Alien Sub Construction. Worried that doing this too early might fubar the game later on, I reloaded it and waited until I had found a Lobsterman Navigator.

Experimenting again I ignored the Navigator and found I was still able to research all the way through Transmission Resolvers, Alien Sub Construction, Mag Ion Armour, Manta and Hammerhead. So it seems I may have been able to do this much earlier in the game without ruining it.

The thing is, when I did research the Navigator to see what would happen I got The Ultimate Threat but no Latest Flying Sub. Just like the reported Tasoth Commander bug!

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem but I'm now wondering if the game will work ok when I research a Lobsterman Commander? :unsure:

I think I'd best leave the Navigator un-researched for now :freak:

I also encounter some problems after Magnetic Navigation research.

I was able to research Transmission Resolvers and Alien Sub Construction as Wightpants said. But after I attacked a Dreadnought, captured a live Lobsterman Navigator, then go back to research window, the Navigator changed to technician! :o Even I captured it from Colony!

Then NO Mag Ion Armour, Manta and Hammerhead in my research list!

What I think is DO NOT researche Magnetic Navigation until you capture a Lobsterman Navigator!

Anybody encounter this?

Ripped off the strategy guide of this page:

The following Infos are somewhat incorrect:

YOU NEED NO MORE LOBSTER NAVIGATOR!

You can research magnetic Navigation at any time in the game. Do this asap and research Transmission Resolver very soon to!

---------------------------------

-> [Deep One Corpse] ->

-> [aqua plastics] -> (Aqua plastics)

[Deep One Corpse] + [Aqua Plastics] -->

[aqua plastic armor] -> (aqua plastic armor)

-> [ion Beam Accelerators] -> (I.B.A.)

-> [Live Deep One]

[i.B.A.] + [Aqua Plastic armor] + [Live Deep One] ->

[ion Armor] ==> (Ion Armor)

-> [Live Lobsterman Nav]

+ [Live Lobsterman Nav] ->[[[[[ WRONG! NO LOBSTER NAV NEEDED!]]]]

[Magnetic Navigation] -> (Mag Nav)

[Transmission Resolver] -> (Transmission Resolver)

[Mag Nav] + [i.B.A.] -> [Magnetic Ion Armor] -> (Magnetic Ion Armor)

+ [Zrbite] + [Transmission Resolver] ==>

[Alien sub construction]

[i.B.A.] + [Alien Sub Construction] ==>

[Manta] --> (Manta)

|

V

[Hammerhead] --> (Hammerhead) * very important!

[Live Lobsterman Commander] + [Hammerhead] ==>

[Leviathan] --> (Leviathan)

--------------------------------------------------

VERY IMPORTANT: Don’t make deep one autopsy before getting aquaplastics in your store. Don't research live deep one before I.B.A. and Aqua Plastic amor are researched!

Maybe the tree will not go on if Live Deep one or Deep one autopsy researched to early!

Hey can anyone help me

i am having a problem after about 4 years a started playing TFDT

and i was doing my job and welcoming sea dwelers :uzzi:

but for some odd reason i can get my research tree complete :wacko:

i can't get the new ships!!!!!

i research every alien dead and alive :alienoooh:

but can't get those darn subs

i read the tree

in the previous post and no can't do

darn!!!!

dont tell me i hav eto restart the game!!!

:blink:

Oh well more aliens to shoot around :devillaugh:

Maybe ya should chceck USG on www.xcomufo.com? ;)

But you probably gonna restart...

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 versions of TFTD, both for old DOS. One has been modified to let you research Magnetic Navigation as soon as you get one. This version was intentionally patched this way. You may have a readme.1st file somewhere that says what's been patched (some other bugs). If you don't, then you may have the first unpatched version.

About the bugs in the research tree... yes, they're a lot of them. Try to get Kasey Chang's Unofficial Strategy Guide. You'll have the research tree there, although it's not complete and maybe not 100% accurate. Always try to keep 1 copy of each alien thing/corpse in your stores (don't sell all stuff). And yes, as mentioned before, don't research live deep one before Ion beam accelerator.

For vibro blade and thermic lances you need 2 corpses: gillman and calcinite. Always keep one corpse in the stores. Try to research calcinite corpse first then vibro, then gillman, but it might work other ways around.

As a last resort, save your game often when researching important items. Save then ignore everything and just research... you'll loose the game after 2 months of negative score, but you'll know if the research projects are going the right way... then just re-load the saved geoscape game and continue normally with the game.

Happy alien hunting