XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Crash - Not Something I've Seen Before.

trillex

Just a short introduction, I played X-Com while back when it first came out and when I found this site with a version that actually works with win2k - I was bound to try it.

The first months goes fine without no crashes or such. But suddenly when I land with my Skyranger, it just crashes. At first I thought it was the old bug with corrupt saves - but it normally just crashes in the middle of the mission and it happens at random (no corrupt save). So I ended up trying to post here. Anyone got a solution?

I've been working on this for a while because I've received a lot of complaints about this unpredictible error. Unfortunately, I've had no luck so far. One thing you might, if you don't think your saved game is currupted, reinstall the game to a new/different directory and copy and paste your saved game. Run the new copy of the game and try to load the saved game. I've suggested this to others but they never write back :( Which could mean either they are really ticked off or they forget about me as they gleefully continue their game :)

I played a couple of hours yesterday and it seems to happen when I try to move my tank out of my skyranger. It seems to happen mostly at random and it only happened once yesterday - So it isn't really a bug that ruins the game.

That crash was just when I've researched the Heavy Plasma gun and went on a small scout ship mission, so I thought it had something to do with the heavy plasma thing - But I reloaded and it went on with no problems.

I'm using the collectors edition found on this site (3 mb or something) and, I tried it on my older puter, also with 2k, but it crashes when I intercept ufos. Pretty wierd stuff, this.

Oh, someone told me once that they avoided the "tank crash bug" by leaving the tank at the base. I've run into the intercept crash bug, too. It would happen whenever the particular interceptor would break off or be sent home. I couldn't get around it and has to start over :(

seems the bugs are random.

i never had the skyranger bug, the game never crashed on missions.

it only crashed when i was beeing attacked at any of my bases.

at a random turn lets say 7, it crash's. when i reload at the exact turn it crashed.

i ad to start over couple of times.

It crashes like that for me as well, and I, too, run Win2k. It doesn't only happen with tanks, it happens with soldiers as well, and it happens when the program switches from Geoscape to battlescape (inventory screen) too. It seems very unpredictable, and doesn't seem to have anything to do with your savegame.

= /, i just got over being bored of ufo defense, so im back, but now, nomater what i try, all my old tactics, i cannot get it to load after a saved game, or creat a new game. this used to be fixed by deleting folder, saving games and then just re-installing. or just install in new dir. but now it doesnt work no matter what i do. any suggestions = /. im going to try to download the 3rd one = / forgot name at moment. but last i remember it is like 50 megs, and that is big :( sniffle DIE

Okay, I may have found out why it crashes with the intercept thingy.. Okay, at first I just started to cheat (2 million $) and dumb as I am, I forgot to do it in hex mode. But here's one thing. It seems to have worked on my brothers puter without doing it in hex..

Confusing..

Guest Tiomar

Hi there,

tried to get UFO Enemy Unknown to work under Win2k.

It does work so far but I faced the same Bug. It crashes sometimes at the beginning of a mission when I move a Soldier out of the Ship (on the ramp). As long as the Soldiers are moved within the ship, nothing happens. But then it crashes during the Alien round...

Could it be caused by a corrupt sound or graphic file?

e.g. a moving alien, alien shot/weapon?

= /, i just got over being bored of ufo defense, so im back, but now, nomater what i try, all my old tactics, i cannot get it to load after a saved game, or creat a new game.  this used to be fixed by deleting folder, saving games and then just re-installing. or just install in new dir.  but now it doesnt work no matter what i do.  any suggestions = /.  im going to try to download the 3rd one = / forgot name at moment.  but last i remember it is like 50 megs, and that is big :( sniffle DIE

It's been trimmed down to about 40mb now.

It crashes when it zooms down on the globe when you have engaged a UFO, not when I've crashed it.

About that tank bug, there's like a .. 25 % chance that it crashes. Thank god I always save before a mission.

That's the crash I've run into most often. Even after going back 4 save files, it would still happen.

Guest Fimbul

Hello

I like Ufo so much and I was like cracy to see the collectors edition here. It works realy on W2k.

Only once I had the crash on the ramp but you can relode and its ok.

My great problem is with the transfers from one base to an other. In the first game I coud move stuff from A to B with no probs. From B to A it crash after i would transfer things if I would go out the transfer screen. :whatwhat:

Nothing happen wiht reload, the same crash. I startet a new game and it crash from A to B.

I uninstall and reinstall Ufo. Then I startet many new games for testing. Build mani bases on the beginning. Sometimes it gone from A to B and A to C but crash from B to A or C to A, Sometimes it crash from A to B.

No 2 months ingame time no saved games.

Now i would try it on english, because I'm swiss and play on german. Maybe it works. I hope so!!!! :rolleyes:

Sorry for the bad english :cussing: