XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Pistols Anyone?

Shotgunner

Ok, we all know and mostly dispise the basic pistol after acquiring laser weaponry. However, what if the pistol was strong enough to last until(and possibily during) the phase that we have palsma tech?

This is just a sort of poll or survey guys: what type of real life pistol(s) would you like to see? Calibers are not necessary, but the brand and model of the pistol is.

Heh Im leaning towards the .50AE Desert Eagle personally. Info on the real life weapon can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Eagle I may go with the 10-inch barrel style :P

However, I do like the sound of the Dirty Harry Magnum. Perhaps the .44 Automag he had near the end of Sudden Impact, Snakeman? Or were you thinking his .44 MAgnum revolver(not sure on the make though)

As for the .45 Glock, I'll try it - just please keep in mind gus that I am new to modding so please - when released don't uber-flame me, ok? ;)

Edited by Shotgunner

A revolver or clip style is alright. What matters is how it should perform I'd think besides looking cool :)

Maybe another type could be something like that machine gun/pistol John Conner had in T3 near the very end when they made it to Crystal Peak or whatever it was called.

On the other hand if we're just looking to minimize firearm choices, put the choices in the ammo instead. For instance if there's a pistol type that can use more than one type. One type being more powerful than whatever else it can use.

The graphics are so primitive that it'll be a tough job distinguishing a six-shooter from a 9mm Browning, so asking for a specific model of pistol seems kind of pointless. Functionality is what matters. How are you going to balance this? I'm not saying it isn't possible, I was just wondering what you had in mind.

Over the years, I've noticed that mod ideas that begin with "I'd like to alter the gameplay by adding a gun that does X" tend to end up vastly superior to ideas that begin with "I'd like to add X cool gun I saw in a movie". When the impact on gameplay is the primary focus of the mod, you can avoid looking like a 'tard running around with a broken gun, yelling "OMG OMG DESSERT EAGAL!!1"

Well, I DO own a Desert Eagle(.357 model was all I could afford :( ) But I have fired the .44 and .50AE models and can attest that the kickback is pretty nasty, even considering the gun's weight to help absorb some of the recoil. I was thinking of mkaing it do the same damage as the AP ammo for the autocannon(42) but making snap and auto shots HORRIBILY inaccurate, while increasing the accuracy for an aimed shot to 70%. The .50Ae round can be pretty expensive, depending on where you get it, and would make the cost of .50AE ammo at least double the pistol ammo to compensate.

If you find any flaws by all means - tell me and give me ideas or suggestions.

Small update on Project 50AE

I am currently hitting the preverbal wall on this, so I am turning my energies towards a more useful item at the moment - turning the pistol into a stun gun. No more losing troops before small launchers!

As for revolver types, I have monkeyed with the graphics a little(I am only editing the inventory/equip graphics, BTW) and no matter what I do I can't get it to look right. So revolver types, at least for now, are out of the question.

I still plan on the Desert Eagle(and btw, it is the 50AE I own - my Dad has a .357 LOL - see how tired I was ROFL!). I also have several other weapons I plan on replacing with the basic weaponry:

Pistols:

Colt 1911A1 .45

Automag .44(manuf. unknown)

Beretta 92F 9mm

CZ 75 Automatic 9mm(Czech Republic Select Fire Pistol)

Rilfes:

H&K G-11 Caseless Assault Rifle

Steyr AUG(SMG version)

ACR(Advanced Combat Rifle - American caseless concept)

There are others on my mind - I just have to sort trhough the lists and eliminate those that I feel are not apporiate, for whatever reason.

I do have a single thing I wish to ask you guys - I am tyhinking of the MBA Gyrojet Pistol. It was an experemental pistol-style rocket launcher in the 1960s. Although it was doomed to fail from the get-go, should I give it a new lease on life by madding it into XCOM? Ammo would be HE pistol rounds, not rockets LOL.

Edited by Shotgunner

To begin with, I wouldn't try balancing a pistol by doubling the cost of the ammunition. Pistol ammo is dirt cheap, and even if you made it cost ten times as much it still wouldn't make a dent in X-Com's multimillion dollar budget. When I've got extra Elerium laying around, I manufacture Alien Grenades at something like $8,000 a pop, and that doesn't matter at all.

The approach I would take is to add weapons that make the game interesting, then pick a real-life equivalent to name them after. Balance first, name and graphic second. I like the stun pistol idea, I've been messing around with a similar approach in my own game. I originally had the Pistol use Electroflares as incendiary ammo, but switched the Electroflare over to a 60HE single shot ammo type for the Rifle. Think M203. :)

A gyrojet weapon would be pretty cool, but the Autocannon and Heavy Cannon already fill the "HE on demand" role pretty well. Perhaps you could modify one of them?

Well, I could mod the Heavy Cannon into a Gyrojet, but I have other, more EXTREME plans for our Heavy Cannons ;)

Keep one thing in mind - I am new to modding. In fact, the only modding project I did before this one was a skin for Drakan: Order Of The Flame(new style of Chainmail armor, fyi) which I never relased to the public. These weapon replacements would be my first official publicly-released mod.

As for the graphics, I am only changing the inventory/UFOpedia images - the battlescape graphics will remain the same. I'm pretty sure I said this already, but I just wanted to make sure.

And that reminds me - here's a nice little "face-lift"-style mod for the basic human weapons made by Grandmunky. His site can be found here. His site links to a few other XCOM sites, including the XCOMUTIL homepage. He also has weapon-replacement mods with altered stats for the basic human weapons. He may still be in the military so don't be surprised if he doesn't resapond to any emails.

1xcwp.zip

• 4 months later...

Just an update on Project .50AE . Some of you may still check this topic on occasion and whatnot, but either way I just wanted to let everyone know that a lack of time, and the preverbal brick wall I ran into, prevent me at the current time from finishing this project.

Renewal Of Project: Unknown

Possible Outcome: Possibly Scrapped, currently Unknown

Edited by Shotgunner

• 2 years later...
And that reminds me - here's a nice little "face-lift"-style mod for the basic human weapons made by Grandmunky. His site can be found here. His site links to a few other XCOM sites, including the XCOMUTIL homepage. He also has weapon-replacement mods with altered stats for the basic human weapons. He may still be in the military so don't be surprised if he doesn't resapond to any emails.

Late reply, but "Grandmunkey" is actually known as "Munkeylord" around the X-COM universe. He isn't a member here as far as I know, but he does frequent the StrategyCore forums from time to time. :)

- Zombie