XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcom3 And Xp

Guest Prochyon

Guest Prochyon
Sorry to be asking the same, worn-out question. But I gotta ask, as I really wanna play this on my XP disk too.

Everytime I'm running the installer from the CD, I get the File/buffer error (not being the size 20) and CD error. So I looked around and found this page (w00t btw). I've done every suggestion there is to be done, and I end up with a complete black screen. I can here my mouseclicks, but nothing happens. All I'm able to do is hit 'esc' and close the app. Which returns me to the desktop...
I've tweaked every option in VDM and tried every patch/fix there is. I've downloaded the 2 different version of Apoc, and the best result I got was the black screen.
Both Video and Audio drivers are the newest, and dualbooting is not an option.

If I can't get this to run, I'm out of options but to remove it from my disk. And seeing as Apoc was THE best game of the genre, I'd like to atleast have beaten it once.

Help! :blink:

Uhm... for some reason, I now get to atleast see the intro. I installed from the CD in Windows 98/ME compatibility mode. I ignored the error about files/buffers and CD, and installed anyways. Applied the SVGA fix and manually configured the VDM settings. Intro now playes from the CD in 20/20 vision and with crystal clear sound... too bad the game itself crashes to desktop :cussing:

I'll look into it, after a few more beers... :freak:

this is a link taken from a prior thread...should you not want to follow it I've included the page contents in the quote. See if anything here helps. There are several possible problems and these should at least fix the files/buffers error for you. Another prevalent question is are you running it from ISO? Some machines, regardless of similar/same configurations seem to not ever want to load Apoc. My machine is one of them. I have spare hard drives lying around of the 1 gig variety so I put one on a free IDE and loaded win 95 to it. Solves all my old game headaches -- go back to the environment they were designed for. Windows XP does have program compatability mode, to find it - locate the file that launches the game for you (mine is XCOMAPOC.exe) and right click it, in the menus you can locate "compatability mode" and set that to all the min settings, and that might help. Follow the link in order to download the files that the quote suggests.

[url="http://www.xcomufo.com/xcom3fix.html"]XP fixes[/url]

[quote]1. Running X-COM: Apocalypse (all versions) in Windows 2000/XP

There are lots of things that go wrong when trying to play Apoc in Win2k/XP. The most common can be fixed by setting the game's compatibility settings to an older version of windows. Edit the properties of whatever file starts Apoc (whether it's xcom3.bat, xcomapoc.exe) and set the program to Windows 95 compatibility with 256 colors. Now run that file.

2. Saving Your Game in X-COM: Apocalypse (Hard Drive Version)

The version of Apoc on this site does not create an empty directory called "savegame" that is necessary to save a game in Apoc. You must create a new folder, "savegame", in the main Apoc directory. This will enable your saved games to be written to the hard drive.

3. Running X-COM: Apocalypse (CD Version) on Windows 2000/XP

Most of the following, with a little editing from myself,  was posted by Jeff Evans on X-COM: Tactical Command Forums on 2 Sep 2002.

Using the following method, you can make the CD version of X-COM: Apocalypse work with Windows 2kXP. There are a variety of reasons why one must use this method - mainly because dual-booting is impossible with your current hardware configuration, or you do not wish to purchase another OS. This solution is for the "after viewing or skipping the intro movie, a blinking cursor briefly appears in the top left corner of the screen, and then returns the user to Windows with no explanation," from my observations, the most common Apoc problem. The problem arises from the fact that Windows doens't like programs to try to directly access drives without going through Windows.

First, you must download the xcom3_cd.zip or xcom3fix.zip file

x3cdfix.zip
x3cdfix.zip (Mirror)

Once downloaded, unzip the file to your Apocalypse directory. To run the game, use the "Run X-com.bat" file included with the zip. To get sound to work, read the following:

4. Fixing the Sound in X-COM: Apocalypse under WinXP (and possibly Win2000/ME)

Note from me: This fix will give you sound, but it may be choppy and not as good as you hope.

SVDMsound.Sourceforge.net

Download the newest version of VDMSound. After installing it, set up Apocalypse to use a Sound Blaster, 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1 (the default for SB emulation under VDMSound). Exit and save from the setup program. Finally, edit the run xcom3.bat file that came with the zip from the first step. Add the command "dosdrv" on a new line between the "xcom3_cd.com" and "xcomapoc.exe SKIP" lines. This will invoke a VDMSound session inside the DOS box of the batch file, which will end when the game is exited.

You will need to edit the properties of xcom3.bat and set the program to Windows 95 compatibility with 256 colors. Now, run the batch file and enjoy!

5. Files/Buffers Error

Remember, Apoc was made for old DOS and it requires a few things that most DOS machines already had running, including the right numbers of buffers and files that a program could manipulate at once. From the start menu, run sysedit.exe  A lot of little windows will appear in the sysedit window. Find the one called config.sys  Go to the bottom of the file (or the top if it is empty) and enter these commands, on seperate lines:
buffers=20
files=20
Save the file, exit the program, and restart your machine. Theoretically, this should fix at least a few peoples' problems problems.

6. SVGA Graphic Error

Apocalypse has trouble detecting the 2D hardware on modern 3D/2D combo cards. Download x3svga.zip from the Apocalypse download page to help correct the error.

7. Missing Alien Dimension Maps

The 54mb archive of Apoc is missing some map files that enable you to play into the Alien Dimension. Download this file:

apocmaps.zip

These are the missing maps. Unzip this file and place both of the folders, 59alien1 and 60alien2, in the \maps\ folder. This will allow you to play in the alien dimension.[/quote]

1st of all, thanks for answering Maverick. Been a while since I've seen any kind of respons here. :)
Secondly... I don't wanna sound harsh here, but your suggestions have already been exhausted and poked through in great depth. Unsuccessfully, I might add. I've narrowed it down to what might seem like a video-chip issue. As it won't load anything to my screen. UFO and TFTD works just fine, but not Apoc. Sound seems to be working fine in all 3 of them, but Apoc stops up completely. I run the execute for Apoc, and it stops with a black screen.
I might get a second disc in, and try to boot off of that one. But right now that's not an option. Anyways... Guess I'll hope for an Xcom game in full 3D and atleast 1024x768 resolution.. like Fallout tactics :)

Cheers
/P

• 4 months later...
Guest DoomGaZer
hey guys. Sorry I don't feel like registering for yet another forum on the net but I DO have some similar issues with Xcom Apoc. I own the original version 1.0 of the game that has the volume like so: "XCOM APOC V1.00 25 June 1997". I can install this fine under XP and I even have all the buffers and files and junk setup correctly. However, my problem is the same as Prochyon. I cna get the intro (sometimes) and if I do it either has choppy sound and runs ultra slow OR it runs smooth. Then it just stops at a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left and absolutely nothing else happens. Ok, XP is not DOS, soo.....I got a hold of Connectix Virtual PC 5.2. Installed it under XP and ALL my other dos games work like a charm. However, Xcom Apoc doesn't. The EXACT SAME CRUD happens. I get to the blinking cursor after seeing the intro and nothing happens. Since Connectix pretty much emulates EVERYTHING except for the CPU then I must assume that Microprose was anti-AMD in their heyday since I am running an Athlon 1.33ghz. I would try a program like slomo or turbo if somebody could confirm for me that it can emulate another CPU or at least hide what kind of CPU I have. Any help would be appreciated since I tossed all the Intel based PC's I used to have. Thanks.

i dont knwo guys what to say....
so you guys run the game from the CD .

try getting the crack
after you install the crack, creat a batch file and in it write:
@echo off
xcomapoc.exe SKIP
The skip is skipping intro

thats all i can suggest for now
get the crack from this thread:
[url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?a...ct=ST&f=9&t=512"]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?a...ct=ST&f=9&t=512[/url]

CREATING A BATCH FILE

in your apoc folder. right click, go to New and choose Text Document
now u have created Text Document .txt in your APOC folder
open the text document and write in it :

@echo off
XCOMAPOC.exe SKIP

(Save and exit)
rename your text document to Apoc.txt
now rename again but only change the " .txt " to " .bat " ( it will ask you to change, click YES)

Now your Apoc.txt became Apoc.bat

Create a shortcut to your Apoc.bat
after creating you have : Shortcut to Apoc.bat

Right click on the shortcut created and choose Properties.
(In the properties you should have these options : General, Shortcut, Options, Font , Layout, Colors, Compatibility )

Go to Options
Look for Display Options
In the Display option we have 2 choices :
- Window
-Full Screen

Choose Full Screen

Try running.
Good luck guys!

• 4 months later...
i hope you know that under winxp the MS-Dos mode uses the autoexec.nt and config.nt under in your windows/system32 directory. It's because....i don't know. So, i wrote this stuff in the config.nt file and it worked. But my sound is still disgusting. Wanna fix it :-S

• 1 month later...
I don't have a clue what do say to you two guys with the flashy mouse/black screen problem, but something in this website's not letting me post my own woes in a new topic, so I'm gonna grab some 15 minutes here:

I've got, *sigh*, Windows XP. When I run the game, I get that same choppy intro thing (it plays at about 1 frame per second), and then I get the SVGA message. I downloaded the fix, but something musses up when I try to use it. the readme file isn't very clear about exactly how to go about installing the fix. I tried running the two files from the unzipped folder and unzipping them straight to their respective X-Com subdirectories and running them from there, but nothing happened. Exactly how am I supposed to install those two little files?

For you two guys with the flashy mouse/black screen problem, I'd say your best bet is to go with, um, the other guy's idea (I'm bad with names) and buy a new 1 GB harddrive, just for the second operating system. I don't know how much that would cost, but if it's expensive, try E-Bay or something. Good luck.

Yipee-Kay-Ay, my sound's back to normal!

I went into sound setup and changed the Sound Blaster IRQ setting from 5 to 7 (ignore whatever error messages you may get, such as a warning that doing this will crash the setup program). Then I right-clicked on the XCOM3.bat file I got from the cd-crack and selected "Run with VDMS" (you gotsta download and install VDMSound for this to appear though, of course), and up came the game, in all its intended musical glory. See if that does anything for you, dracdroid

But my mouse still couldn't beat a snail in a footrace (this is not the case in regular old Windows, outside the game). I've downloaded both the Mousectl and mouse2kv_v01 fixes, but I'm not exactly sure whether it's this problem they're supposed to solve and I'm just installing them incorrectly, or if I have the wrong fixes.

But yesterday ago, I was getting nothing from this game. I love you guys! :happybanana: Edited by LarryFromMadrid

I took your suggestion, J'ordos, and tried increasing the sensitivity to maximum in Windows, but that only had a small impact on the pointer in-game, and it was still annoyingly slow. To switch the settings every time I play would be quite unfriendly to my patience. So what is it that those two mouse files are supposed to fix? Edited by LarryFromMadrid

Ok, thanks guys, I've gotten the mouse speed back to normal. I copied the mous2kv files into my X-Com folder, then right-clicked on the XCOM3.bat file that comes with the cd-crack. From the right-click menu, I selected Edit, then changed it so it reads:

@echo off
fakecd .. /L:D >nul
xcom3_cd.com
dosdrv
MOUSECTL.COM 02,03,04,06,06,06,06,06
xcomapoc.exe SKIP
rem Uninstall process
xcom3_cd.com
fakecd /U >nul
mode co80
cls
echo.
echo X-COM3 Apocalypse from Alex-God.
echo Don't forget Microprose Corporation...
pause

I saved and exited, then tried the same .bat file as usual, and the mouse speed is fine. Seriously, you guys rock! :master: Edited by LarryFromMadrid

• 4 months later...
Guest Guest
So Can anyone acctually tell me where this so Patches are i havent played Appoc in Years And im having Serious Withdrawrel Syptoms SO BODY GET IT TO WORK IN XP AHHHRGH. :happybanana:

• 1 year later...
Guest Xcom-Fan
need some help i got it workin in the past but , decided to play it agen after a reformat of my drive and i get this error.

Cannot load VDM IPX/SPX support

is that the SVDM Sound thingy ???

if it is anyone know where the files in that are installed and wudnt mind sending me them in a Zip cos the .Msi doesnt work on my Xp pc.

reply to [email protected]

Guest Xcom-Fan
[quote name='Xcom-Fan' date='Oct 28 2005, 09:47 AM']need some help i got it workin in the past but , decided to play it agen after a reformat of my drive and i get this error.

is that the SVDM Sound thingy ???

if it is anyone know where the files in that are installed and wudnt mind sending me them in a Zip cos the .Msi doesnt work on my Xp pc.

reply to [email protected]
[right][post="138385"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

ok i found some person wid the VDM Sound in exe file.

done what it says on the faq now i get this.

VDMSound DOS loader, version 2.01 (Aug 04 2001)
Copyright © 2000-2001 Vlad ROMASCANU.

VDMSound is covered by the GNU Public License (GPL), version 2 or later, as
published by the Free Software Foundation, Inc. (http://www.fsf.org/).

Loading 'VDDLoader.dll'...
Successfully loaded & initialized (hVDD = 0x03).

and nothing happens