XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Missile Defense Array

Guest Azrael Strife

MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Missile Defense

The threat of an Alien ground assault on an X-Corps base is a dire problem. Once we begin attacking UFOs and disrupting the Alien agenda, it is likely that they will try to retaliate against X-Corps bases and personnel. To counter this, X-Corps engineers have adapted the ‘Rapier’ SAM system into a platform that suits our unique defensive needs. While the system has proven to be highly effective against Human aircraft, its effectiveness against UFOs is unknown. It can be surmised that it will be considerably less effective against a highly maneuverable Alien target.

While X-Corps bases are located deep underground, making a bombardment ineffective, the Aliens can deploy troops to any surface areas of a base and invade it with ground forces, destroying it from the inside. To prevent Alien saboteurs from even reaching a base in the first place, X-Corps Tactical Command has decided that defenses should be erected to cripple or destroy any UFOs attempting to land and dock with an X-Corps base. One plan set forward is to build conventional missile platforms, allowing a salvo of specially adapted ‘Rapier’ anti-aircraft missiles to be launched at any incoming threat. Unfortunately, the UFOs are very well armored, and a lone defensive battery does not have a very high chance of destroying a UFO. Also while the missiles have a highly advanced tracking system, they are incapable of easily tracking the UFOs.

“If even our best tracking systems can’t target these things, where does that leave us? If our weapons are nearly ineffective against their ships then we’ll have to change our tactics.” – X-Corps Commander codenamed “Red Knight”

The Missiles themselves use a warhead similar to the Titan missile, but increased in size by 120%. This should give the Missile Defense battery a better one-hit-kill probability than the craft mounted Titan missile launcher.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my version:

MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY

Although our base is constructed deep underground, protected even from an atomic bombardment, our engineers thought it would be useful to have a facility that shift our protection strategy toward an active defense. Such facility might protect our bases from any assaults that might occur, human or alien.

In order to give our bases some protection, a [MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY] was carefully planed, containing an observation facility equipped with very short range, but accurate microwave radar, easily orientable pods with ready to launch tungsten warhead missiles and storage for a generous supply of missiles.

The small observation facility have a futuristic, transparent spherical roof made of harder than steel plastic, allowing our defensive agents to manually control missiles when the attacking ships have no infrared or radio signatures for missiles to lock on.

Microwave radars are able to track incoming ships with an accuracy of centimetres, giving our defences a big boost in the hit ratio.

After the gulf wars, nations worldwide decided to ban depleted uranium warheads due to their mild radioactivity, but our engineers came up with a very good replacement, amorphous tungsten. Like uranium, this material is able to selfsharpen when it hits the target and is able to burn in a low oxigen atmosphere poisoning and burning the target from inside.

The warhead in our missiles contain an aluminum tip designed to flatten onto the target rather than bounce off, allowing the amorphous tungsten core to advance inside the target and do its powerful damage.

Fluff: Hey, soldier Mike, stop pushing that red button, one flush is more than enough

Is it any good?

MISSILE_DEFENSE_FACILITY_1.txt

Here's my version:

MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY

Although our base is constructed deep underground, protected even from an atomic bombardment, our engineers thought it would be useful to have a facility that shift our protection strategy toward an active defense. Such facility might protect our bases from any assaults that might occur, human or alien.

Atomic bombardment might be too much. The part about the engineers is akward, they thought it would be "useful"?, the project was carefully planned, construction of the base was as well, that sounds like the Missile Defense was made out of a stroke of luck, it occurred to someone and they made it. It is carefully designed for X-Corps special defensive needs in mind, it's construction is not circumstancial. The facility won't "might" defend the base, it will defend the base, whether it is effective or not is a different issue. Also, there are no Human assaults in Xenocide V1.

In order to give our bases some protection, a [MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY] was carefully planed, containing an observation facility equipped with very short range, but accurate microwave radar, easily orientable pods with ready to launch tungsten warhead missiles and storage for a generous supply of missiles.

The small observation facility have a futuristic, transparent spherical roof made of harder than steel plastic, allowing our defensive agents to manually control missiles when the attacking ships have no infrared or radio signatures for missiles to lock on.

Infrared signatures?, you mean heat emissions?, might not be too clear that way put, but aren't any other way to lock-on missiles?, manual control seems innacurate.

There is too much detail on this paragraph, the problem is that it does not fit at all AWD's model, you don't mention either that it is based on the Rapier missile system.

Microwave radars are able to track incoming ships with an accuracy of centimetres, giving our defences a big boost in the hit ratio.

After the gulf wars, nations worldwide decided to ban depleted uranium warheads due to their mild radioactivity, but our engineers came up with a very good replacement, amorphous tungsten. Like uranium, this material is able to selfsharpen when it hits the target and is able to burn in a low oxigen atmosphere poisoning and burning the target from inside.

The warhead in our missiles contain an aluminum tip designed to flatten onto the target rather than  bounce off, allowing the amorphous tungsten core to advance inside the target and do its powerful damage.

Do microwave Radars exist? I mean, RADAR stands for Radio Detection and Ranging, microwaves are not radio waves.

Only Nuclear Missiles use uranium warheads IIRC, that's way too much for a missile defense battery.

Fluff: Hey, soldier Mike, stop pushing that red button, one flush is more than enough

I don't get this much.

I think you focused on rewriting it from scratch, you should have taken the previous post as a base and make it better, otherwise it's like we trashed what the author had originally written.

Edited by Azrael

Atomic bombardment might be too much. The part about the engineers is akward, they thought it would be "useful

Infrared signatures?, you mean heat emissions?, might not be too clear that way put, but aren't any other way to lock-on missiles?, manual control seems innacurate.

Do microwave Radars exist? I mean, RADAR stands for Radio Detection and Ranging, microwaves are not radio waves.

Only Nuclear Missiles use uranium warheads IIRC, that's way too much for a missile defense battery.

Fluff: Hey, soldier Mike, stop pushing that red button, one flush is more than enough[/color]

I don't get this much.

I think you focused on rewriting it from scratch, you should have taken the previous post as a base and make it better, otherwise it's like we trashed what the author had originally written.

Sir, yes, sir.

Short explanations, but I'll start it right this time.

I kept in mind Xcom1, because they didn't know they'll encounter aliens for sure.

I don't think manual remote control is that bad, I liked wing commander in the past. It's the only really smart guidance sytem, all others can be fooled in some ways. And it would explain why this accuracy is lower than other systems. I'll scrap it.

Yes, microwave radar exist and because their really short wavelength they're far more precise.

I kept in mind DUP warheads in TFTD and also its use in the gulf wars. No, really, it's used even today because of high density, selfsharpening and penetration.

I'll base my description on what's already there, modifying it slightly this time.

Fluff: Some people think the red button is for the president to launch nuclear missiles and soldier Mike is a bit maniac. I'll think of something more amusing about missiles

Sir, yes, sir.

Short explanations, but I'll start it right this time.

I kept in mind Xcom1, because they didn't know they'll encounter aliens for sure.

Actually, they do, that's the point of the project, to fight the Aliens :)

I don't think manual remote control is that bad, I liked wing commander in the past. It's the only really smart guidance sytem, all others can be fooled in some ways. And it would explain why this accuracy is lower than other systems. I'll scrap it.

Maybe it is, I just am not sure about it. I love Wing Commander :D

Yes, microwave radar exist and because their really short wavelength they're far more precise.

Ok then.

I kept in mind DUP warheads in TFTD and also its use in the gulf wars. No, really, it's used even today because of high density, selfsharpening and penetration.

I'll base my description on what's already there, modifying it slightly this time.

Fluff: Some people think the red button is for the president to launch nuclear missiles and soldier Mike is a bit maniac. I'll think of something more amusing about missiles

Try to have the fluff be 'international', my president doesn't have neither wants such red button :P

Didn't know that about warheads, thought they were just nuclear, keep in mind that Xenocide starts around 2012, so you can base on what's here today, but make it 'cooler' and more advanced :)

I have a few general comments.

You might want to incorporate more of the existing ideas in the future (I know it can be difficult because you don't have a solid conception of the existing texts yet, though it'll come with time :)), but this your idea is decent. In this text, it refers to the Titan missile CT, and it might be appropriate to mention it (or not, depending on how the text turns out).

Iirc, the missile defense facility is available before the Alien incursions, so removing all references to "Aliens" in this text would be a good idea.

The text is also a bit short. I'd say double the length of your text is roughly a good length for CTs in general. Hm, maybe detailing the firing rate, target acquisition/missile control, and missile range might be good places to start. If a number is in doubt, you can just put "XX miles" or "XX seconds" or somesuch, and someone (probably Azrael) will put in an appropriate value. Maybe also include some information about the computer systems involved?

Despite all my complaining, it's always nice to see good work being done. Don't be intimidated by the colors; somehow, it *always* looks worse than it really is. :( If you don't want so many comments and corrections at once, just let me know, and I'll tone down the "rainbow" treatment. :)

My usual header: Red text indicates additions, orange text indicates deletions, and blue text indicates comments or suggestions.

Added [brackets] are not denoted, and British spellings have been replaced with red-marked American spellings (due to a prior decision).

MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY

Although our base is constructed deep underground, and protected even from built to withstand? an atomic bombardment, our engineers Not sure if X-Corps engineers drew up the plans for the facility, but perhaps you could say that X-Corps engineers improved on existing missile defense technologies to bring about the advanced, more efficient [Missile Defense Facility]? thought it would be useful to have a facility that shift our protection strategy toward an active defense. Such facility facilities might protect our bases from any assaults that might occur, human or alien. Maybe: "...our engineers recommend constructing active defenses to protect our bases from aerial assaults"?

In order to give afford? our bases some protection, a the [MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY] was carefully planned;, containing it contains an observation facility equipped with an accurate, very short-ranged, but accurate microwave radar, easily orientable pods with ready-to-launch tungsten warhead missiles, and storage for a generous supply of missiles.

The small observation facility have has a futuristic, transparent spherical domed? roof made of harder than steel "harder than steel" feels out of place here... maybe, "hardened plastics"? plastic, allowing our defensive agents operators? to manually control missiles when the attacking ships have no infrared or radio signatures for missiles to lock on.  This might be a good place to insert a neat computerized system, "...allowing our agents manually direct missile salvos using targeting assistance data displayed directly on the interior of the dome when alternative targeting methods such as infrared or radio-locks are unuseable." (it's a bit unwieldy at the moment)

Microwave radars are able to track incoming ships with an accuracy of centimeters, giving our defenses a big boost in the hit ratio. Suggest: "Microwave radars are able to track incoming ships within a few centimeters, giving our defenses a significant boost in accuracy."

After the gulf wars Gulf Reformation Wars? (someone double-check this for me), nations worldwide decided to ban sought an alternative to? depleted uranium warheads due to their mild radioactivity., but oOur engineers came have come up with a very good replacement:, amorphous tungsten. Like uranium, this material is able to self-sharpen Not exactly sure what self-sharpening entails; maybe add a short explanation? when it hits the target and is able to burn in a low oxigen oxygen atmosphere environment?, poisoning and burning incinerating? the target from inside the inside out?.

The warheads in our missiles contain consist of? an aluminum tip designed to flatten onto against? the target rather than bounce instead of bouncing? off, allowing the amorphous tungsten core to advance inside the target and do wreak? its powerful damage.

Fluff: Hey, soldier Mike, stop pushing that red button, one flush is more than enough I'm not sure I understand this fluff?

It's a good start, Dan2. =b

EDIT- Man, I'm way to slow for the likes of you, Az! :P

Edited by Astyanax

Iirc, the missile defense facility is available before the Alien incursions, so removing all references to "Aliens" in this text would be a good idea.

Man, you never actually work, do you? :P

As I see it, it can be a modified version of a modern SAM launcher, but specifically designed for X-Corps (for the underground base and the whole UFO-fighting issue).

By the way, what's the consensus for posting texts as attachments?

I'm curious because many of the older texts have them (and it's somewhat of a pain to navigate, imho), and the newer ones only have the text in the body of the post.

I'm not pretty sure what else can I add about this puny missile facility, I never used them in TFTD, for reasons easily understood.

Ok, here's my text. My head hurts, so no fluff yet :wacko:

MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY

The threat of an Alien ground assault on an X-Corps base was always a concern for everyone, even if our bases are constructed deep underground and are designed to withstand an atomic bombardment. X-Corps engineers improved on existing missile defense technologies to bring about the advanced, more efficient [Missile Defense Facility] based on ‘Rapier’ SAM system. Once we begin attacking UFOs and disrupting the Alien activities, it is likely that they will try to retaliate against X-Corps bases and personnel, so it would be useful to have a facility that shift our protection strategy toward an active defense, designed to protect our bases from aerial assaults. Unfortunately, the UFOs are very well armored, and a lone defensive battery does not have a very high chance of destroying a UFO.

In order to afford some protection, the [MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY] was carefully planned and it contains an observation facility equipped with a very short-ranged, but accurate microwave radar, easily orientable pods with ready-to-launch tungsten warhead missiles, and storage for a generous supply of missiles.

The small observation facility has a transparent domed shaped roof made of stronger than steel plastics, allowing our defensive operators to remotely adjust the missiles trajectories when tracking devices are unable to lock on targets that are either very fast or their emission spectrum is disabling the efficiency of such tracking devices.

Microwave radars signals are continously analyzed by supercomputers, bringing vital information about the target to operators, like shape, direction and speed, all with a precision of centimeters, giving our defenses a significant boost in accuracy.

After the Gulf Reformation Wars, nations worldwide decided to ban usage of depleted uranium even for military use due to its radioactivity. Our engineers have come up with a very good replacement: amorphous tungsten. Like depleted uranium, this material doesn't melt on impact and is able to form sharp edges that allow smooth penetration rather than flattening out like other alloys. Also, amorphous tungsten is not radioactive, and when it hits the target is able to burn in a low oxygen environment, poisoning and incinerating the target from the inside out.

The warheads in this slightly larger version of ‘Rapier’ missiles consist of an aluminum tip designed to flatten against the target instead of bouncing off, allowing the amorphous tungsten core to advance inside the target and wreak its powerful damage.

Am I on the right track? I mean I have no idea how this 'Rapier' missile is working, so I improvised. Where can I find its description?

Edited by dan2

I don't think the Rapier has a CT; it's a piece of the imagination of the original author (EDIT- I don't know what I'm talking about here :(). Improv is fine so long as it is consistent with material in other texts (Rapier missiles can't be more powerful than fusion ball launchers, for instance).

The text is decent- it's longer, but there are a few rough spots. One spot you might want to further elaborate is on the differences between defensive batteries and missile defense facilities- the distinction is a little muddled. For the moment, however, there's a "oxigen oxygen" in the second to last paragraph and "ovesized" in the final paragraph that's begging to be fixed (I'm a bit of a spelling freak!). :) I'll post a more in-depth read-through in a bit.

Edited by Astyanax

Cripes, no kidding?  Well, take it from Azrael, he has a broader view of CTs than I do. :)

I visited both sites, it's a surface to air missile with awesome tracking devices, but not very descriptive about what's inside. I guess, as a long stretch an amourphous tungsten warhead can be accomodated on a Rapier missile in the near future.

Maybe you could say the missiles ("Stiletto missiles", perhaps?) were based on the prior Rapier design, thus circumventing the issue?

Red text indicates additions, orange text indicates deletions, and blue text indicates comments or suggestions.

Added [brackets] are not denoted.

MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY

The threat of an Alien ground assault on an X-Corps base was has always been a concern for everyone, even if our bases despite the fact that they are constructed deep far? underground and are designed to withstand even? an atomic bombardment. X-Corps engineers improved on existing missile defense technologies to bring about the advanced, more efficient [Missile Defense Facility] based on ‘Rapier’ SAM system. Once we begin attacking UFOs and disrupting the Alien activities, it is likely that they will try to retaliate against X-Corps bases and personnel, so it would be useful to have a facility that shift our protection strategy toward an active defense, designed to protect our bases from aerial assaults. Previous sentence is somewhat cumbersome- suggest (apparently, I'm particularly verbose today, sorry :(): "Should our anti-Alien activities cause us to be a large enough obstacle to the Aliens' goals, it would be likely that our bases and personnel would become prime targets for retaliatory strikes.  It might be wise for us to implement preventative measures." Unfortunately, the UFOs are very well armored, and a lone defensive battery does not have a very high chance of destroying a UFO.

In order to afford our bases some level of? protection, the [MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY] was carefully planned designed?, and it contains an observation facility equipped with a very short-ranged, but accurate Maybe: "...an accurate, though very short-range, microwave radar"? microwave radar, easily orientable pods with ready-to-launch tungsten warhead missiles, and storage for a generous supply of missiles.

The small observation facility has a transparent domed shaped roof made composed? of stronger than steel plastics, allowing our defensive operators to remotely adjust the missiles trajectories when tracking devices are unable to lock onto difficult targets due to excessive speeds or unusual emissions spectra. that are either very fast or their emission spectrum is disabling the efficiency of such tracking devices.

Microwave radars signals are continuously continually? analyzed by supercomputers, bringing returning? vital information about the target to operators such as its, like shape, size, and velocity direction and speed, all with a precision of centimeters Maybe: "...all precise within mere centimenters?, giving our defenses a significant boost in accuracy.

After the Gulf Reformation Wars, nations worldwide decided to ban usage "banned the usage..."? of depleted uranium "...for all purposes, even military, due to its radioactivity."? even for military use due to its radioactivity. Our engineers have come up with a very good replacement substitute?: amorphous tungsten. Like depleted uranium, this material doesn't does not melt on impact and is able to forms sharp edges that allow smooth penetration rather than flattening out like other alloys. I'm still not entirely sure about what you mean here.  Where are the sharp edges- is it the tungsten or the target's armor?  When are they formed?  Do you mean that tungsten holds it sharpness during the impact, instead of losing its shape like less dense materials?  Why is it called "amorphous" tungsten?  EDIT- I think I'm beginning to understand.  How about this: "Like depeleted uranium, amorphous tungsten does not melt on impact like other alloys, but instead forms sharp edges to enhance penetration."? Also, amorphous tungsten is not radioactive, and when it hits the target, its ability is able to burn in a low oxygen environment, allows it to poison and incinerate the target from the inside out. poisoning and incinerating the target from the inside out.

The warheads in this slightly larger version of ‘Rapier’ missiles consist of an aluminum tip designed to flatten against the target instead of bouncing off, allowing the amorphous tungsten core to advance inside the target and wreak its powerful damage. This might be more appropriate in the previous paragraph when you're explaining amorphous tungsten.

Edited by Astyanax

Pretty good so far...

However, I must agree with a previous comment that missile defenses are available fromt he start... when the alien problem is not definite and the xcom project is on a 'trial basis'

You could say something similar to

".... This adaption of the extremely effective SAM system currently used by major world military organisations is both accurate and devastating. This in conjunction with its new revolutionary rotary mountings and its electronic pulse trigger allows it to respond to fast moving threats with a degree of accuracy unmatched by any othe modern missile system. Thus enabling X Corps bases to deal with any base assaults they may encounter be, they terrestrial or extra-terrestrial..."

Just a suggestion, feel free to adapt and use it if you want. I think it's important to remember that Xcom would know very little at this stage of UFO armour, speeds etc...

That's something I'm a bit hazy about, too, Kamikazee. I've read in a backstory thread(?) something about the Aliens attacking first, destroying the satellite grid, NORAD headquarters, etc. The X-Corps were created as a response to Alien aggression: its purpose to defend Earth from the invaders.

I'm not entirely sure when Aliens appear in the scheme of things. Is there a timeline somewhere?

I'm sure generic missile defenses are available long before the Aliens arrive, but the [Missile Defense Facility] might be a new, X-Corps developed design created specifically with UFO deterrence in mind?

Edited by Astyanax

Ah yes i remember those backstory plots...

Well even if the UFOs destroyed the NORAD thing how can the governments be 100% sure it was aliens... I reckon that Xcorps would have been set up origionally to investigate the matter on a trial basis.

they would have not been sure whether it was an extraterrestrial or some terrorist missile attack or something...

thats wot i think anyways

So what you're saying is that references to "UFOs" are ok, "Aliens" are not?

In the backstories, wasn't there also a first "incident" when the first Alien UFO was shot down and the presence of the Aliens was confirmed?

Nuts, I'm going to have to re-read those backstories.

EDIT- here's the thread: http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3273

Edited by Astyanax

You said it far better than I would be ever be able to, Astynax =b .

About self-sharpenining, uranium is able on impact to lose some of its external layer, generating new sharp edges that otherwise would become dull on impact, effectively remaining continually sharp during impact. They used depleted uranium, a byproduct form enriching uranium, which is less radioactive than natural uranium, but still harmful for the environment in a long term.

Now they're trying to use a substitute, which is amourphous tungsten. Usually metals are microcrystalline, but when the metal is formed from fast decomposition of some tungsten compounds or even when the hot metal is cooled very very fast, the atoms freeze before they can rearrange into a crystalline form. This material have a similar density and properties with uranium, but they're still trying to get better results.

I also like Kamikazee's addition, it should fit well in the text.

Now would you like to reach the final version? Since it's pretty obvious you did a far better job than me.

Some new ideas evolved and that's great. I love to work with all of you :)

I guess you have plenty of things to do already, Astynax, so I'll try one more time. I hope this time is better. Of course it's better, it's mostly your text. I'm talking with myself.

Here's the text:

MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY

The threat of an Alien assault on an X-Corps base has always been a concern despite the fact that they are constructed deep underground and designed to withstand an atomic bombardment. X-Corps engineers improved on existing missile defense technologies to bring about the advanced, more efficient [MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY] based on ‘Rapier’ SAM system. Should our anti-Alien activities cause us to be a large enough obstacle to the Aliens' goals, it would be likely that our bases would become prime targets for retaliatory strikes. It might be wise for us to implement preventative measures in order to defend our bases from aerial assaults. Unfortunately, there's little knowledge about UFOs speed and armor, thus constructing more than one [MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY] might improve our chances for preventing such assaults.

The [MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY] was carefully designed for X-Corps based on extremely effective SAM systems currently used by major world military organizations, and it contains a control room connected to an accurate, though very short-range, microwave radar, revolutionary rotary mountings with ready-to-launch tungsten warhead missiles able respond to fast moving threats with a degree of accuracy unmatched by any othe modern missile system, and storage for a generous supply of missiles.

Inside the control room our defensive operators remotely adjust missile trajectories when tracking devices are unable to lock onto difficult targets due to excessive speeds or unusual emissions spectra. Microwave radar signals are continually analyzed by photomolecular supercomputers, enabling fast access to vital information about the target, such as its shape, size, and velocity, all with a precision of mere centimeters, giving our defenses a significant boost in accuracy.

After the Gulf Reformation Wars, nations worldwide banned the usage of depleted uranium for all purposes, even military, due to its radioactivity, once considered mild, but later found extremely damaging for the environment. Our engineers have come up with a very good substitute: amorphous tungsten. Like depleted uranium, this material does not melt on impact and continually sharpens, rather than flattening out like other alloys, a phenomenon which enhance drastically penetration. This self-sharpening property is due to the fact that atoms in its composition found on dull edges slide under pressure, allowing low angle edges to reform on its surface. Also, amorphous tungsten is not radioactive, and when it hits the target, its ability to burn in a low oxygen environment allows it to poison and incinerate the target from the inside out. The warheads in this slightly larger version of ‘Rapier’ missiles consist of an aluminum tip designed to flatten against the target instead of bouncing off, allowing the amorphous tungsten core to advance inside the target and wreak its powerful damage.

Now all we need is fluff, and my jokes are bad. Or fluff isn't about jokes? :huh?:

Edited by dan2

I think 'atomic bombardment' is too much. Also, descriptions of the facility don't match Art's concept, there is no such dome.

http://www.projectxenocide.com/artassets/assetlist.html

I can put the guys underground then, no big deal. Why aliens don't obliterate the base then, why even bother with assaults? If they need human knowledge, they can kidnap everyone in their sleep, I guess. How does this missilie defence facility look like?

Oops, I'll go and take a peek.

Edited by dan2

I think 'atomic bombardment' is too much. Also, descriptions of the facility don't match Art's concept, there is no such dome.

http://www.projectxenocide.com/artassets/assetlist.html

I can put the guys underground then, no big deal. Why aliens don't obliterate the base then, why even bother with assaults? If they need human knowledge, they can kidnap everyone in their sleep, I guess. How does this missilie defence facility look like?

Oops, I'll go and take a peek.

Same reason as to why once they found your base, the UFO who finds out *conviniently* forgets to inform the rest of the Aliens where is it, so in case it is beaten, the rest can come back in a swarm: we just don't know :)

Same reason as to why once they found your base, the UFO who finds out *conviniently* forgets to inform the rest of the Aliens where is it, so in case it is beaten, the rest can come back in a swarm: we just don't know :)

Maybe their bosses would kick their butts if they report the problem before they solved it :)

How about now, is it OK?

The usual stuff: Red text indicates additions, orange text indicates deletions, and blue text indicates comments or suggestions.

Added [brackets] and capitalizations of the word "Alien" are not denoted, and British spellings are replaced with red-marked American spellings.

MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY

The threat of an Alien assault on an X-Corps base has always been a concern despite the fact that they are constructed deep underground and designed to withstand an atomic bombardment. Maybe "...withstand a prolonged/protracted/extended assault/attack/conventional bombardment"? X-Corps engineers improved on existing missile defense technologies to bring about the advanced, more efficient [MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY] based on the old? ‘Rapier’ SAM system. Should our anti-Alien activities cause us to be I know I suggested this sentence, but maybe "...activities make us a large enough..."? a large enough obstacle to the Aliens' goals, it would be likely that our bases would become prime targets for retaliatory strikes. It might be wise for us to implement preventative advanced/defensive? measures in order to defend our bases from aerial Alien? assaults. Unfortunately, there's little knowledge about UFOs speed and armor, thus constructing more than one [MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY] might improve our chances for preventing such assaults. Maybe: "Unfortunately, because of our current lack of knowledge of Alien UFO speed and armor capabilities, our engineers recommend construction of multiple [Missile Defense Facilities] to improve our ability to resist/repel such assaults."?

The [MISSILE DEFENSE FACILITY] was carefully designed for X-Corps is based on an extremely effective SAM systems Alternatively (if I'm understanding this correctly): "...based on the extremely effective Rapier SAM system..." currently used by major world military organizations, and it contains a control room connected to an accurate, though very short-range, microwave radar, revolutionary rotary mountings with ready-to-launch tungsten warhead missiles able respond to fast moving threats with possessing a degree of accuracy unmatched by any other Maybe "comparable" instead of "other"? modern missile systems, and storage for a generous supply of missiles.

Inside the control room, our defensive operators can? remotely adjust missile trajectories when tracking devices are unable to lock onto difficult targets due to excessive speeds or unusual emissions spectra. Microwave radar signals are continually analyzed by photomolecular supercomputers, enabling fast access to vital information about the target, such as its shape, size, and velocity, all with a precision of mere centimeters, giving our defenses a significant boost in accuracy. This might be a good place for hyphens: "...about the target- its shape, size, and velocity- all precise within a few centimeters, giving..."

After the Gulf Reformation Wars, nations worldwide banned the usage of depleted uranium for all purposes, even military, due to its radioactivity, once considered mild, but later found extremely damaging for the environment. Maybe: "...even military, due to the lasting deleterious effects of radioactivity on the environment"? Our engineers have come up with a very good substitute: amorphous tungsten. Like depleted uranium, this material does not melt on impact and continually sharpens, rather than instead of flattening out like other alloys, a phenomenon which that drastically enhances drastically penetration. This self-sharpening property is due to the fact that atoms in its composition found on dull edges slide under pressure, allowing low angle edges to reform on its surface.The previous sentence is pretty technical.  I suggest it be removed or simplified: "This self-sharpening property results from the ability amorphous tungsten to form highly acute angles when dull edges are exposed to pressure" (um, this isn't really that simplified... :)) Also, amorphous tungsten is not radioactive, and when it Deleted because the "very good substitute" line above implies that amorphous tungsten isn't radioactive when amorphous tungsten hits the target, its ability to burn in a low oxygen environment allows it to poison and incinerate the target from the inside out. The warheads in this these slightly larger versions Maybe: "...in these modified `Rapier' missiles..."? of ‘Rapier’ missiles consist of an are fitted with a special? aluminum tip designed to flatten against the target instead of bouncing off, allowing the amorphous tungsten core to advance inside the target and wreak its powerful damage. Maybe: "...bouncing off, generating an even surface through which the amorphous tungsten can advance into the target and wreak its devastation"?

This looks very good, Dan2. The added technical aspects really flesh this CT out, and I'd say this one is nearing completion (not that I actually have the power to deem it so- just my opinion ;)). Good job! =b

Edited by Astyanax

This is looking very good dan2, I'll take a closer look later.

So, how do you like the magenta? :)

What can I say, I can post now, so magenta is great. I can't still post on "Who Is Active On Xenocide Development", so I guess that's not for me.

As a new recruit, do I have to say which project I want or I just pick one from the pile?

Well, you've previously posted in the CTD thread in the Lobby(?), so you're under our auspices. :) In short, as a recruit you're pretty much on probation while we see how you work with existing members, what your abilities are, and how useful and how often your contributions are. When we think you're ready, you'll get nominated to become a full member (you'd be green if you're in CTD). So keep doing good work, and we'll keep you in mind. Geez, I just love being coy. ;)

Incidentally, the "Who's Active on Xenocide Development" thread is for full members.

Edited by Astyanax

This is looking very good dan2, I'll take a closer look later.

So, how do you like the magenta? :)

What can I say, I can post now, so magenta is great. I can't still post on "Who Is Active On Xenocide Development", so I guess that's not for me.

As a new recruit, do I have to say which project I want or I just pick one from the pile?

Basically you can choose, anything from Active is open for rewriting, but since most texts are not in need of an extensive rewrite, I'd advise you to either make comments on them (write what you think is missing, what should be included etc, and then either the Senior, dipstick or me will make the changes, if the text does need rewrite, we will let you know :)). Or you can grab a non-taken text, which by this time would be "Raptor Autopsy", also you can check those old threads at the bottom that haven't been touched in ages and give a hand, or those texts that are obviously not close to completion. If you want to know if you can take a text for yourself, PM me about it and I'll tell you :)

MISSILE DEFENSE ARRAY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base Facilities/Missile Defense Array

The threat of an Alien assault on an X-Corps base has always been a concern despite the fact that they are constructed deep underground and designed to withstand an extended bombardment. X-Corps engineers improved on existing missile defense technologies to bring about the advanced, more efficient [Missile Defense Array] based on the veteran ‘Rapier’ SAM system.

Should our activities be efficient enough to draw attention from any UFO, it would be likely that our bases would become prime targets for Alien investigations or retaliatory strikes. It might be wise for us to implement active measures in order to defend our bases from aerial Alien assaults. Unfortunately, because of our current lack of knowledge of Alien UFO speed and armor capabilities, our engineers recommend construction of multiple [Missile Defense Array] to improve our ability to repel such assaults.

The [Missile Defense Array] carefully designed for X-Corps is based on extremely effective SAM systems currently used by major world military organizations, and it contains a control room connected to an accurate, though very short-range, microwave radar, revolutionary rotary mountings with ready-to-launch tungsten warhead missiles able respond to fast moving threats possessing a degree of accuracy unmatched by other modern missile systems, and storage for a generous supply of missiles.

Inside the control room, our defensive operators can remotely adjust missile trajectories when tracking devices are unable to lock onto difficult targets due to excessive speeds or unusual emissions spectra. Microwave radar signals are continually analyzed by photomolecular supercomputers, enabling fast access to vital information about the target- its shape, size, and velocity- all with a precision of mere centimeters, giving our defenses a significant boost in accuracy.

After the Gulf Reformation Wars, nations worldwide banned the usage of depleted uranium for all purposes, even military, due to the lasting deleterious effects of radioactivity on the environment. Our engineers have come up with a very good substitute: amorphous tungsten. Like depleted uranium, this material does not melt on impact and continually sharpens instead of flattening out like other alloys, a phenomenon that enhances drastically penetration. This self-sharpening property results from the ability amorphous tungsten to form highly acute angles when dull edges are exposed to pressure. When amorphous tungsten hits the target, its ability to burn in a low oxygen environment allows it to poison and incinerate the target from the inside out.

The warheads in these slightly larger versions of ‘Rapier’ missiles are fitted with a special aluminum tip designed to flatten against the target instead of bouncing off, allowing the amorphous tungsten core to advance inside the target and wreak its powerful damage.

Edited by dan2

• 3 weeks later...
When amorphous tungsten hits the target, its ability to burn in a low oxygen environment allows it to poison and incinerate the target from the inside out.

hmmm... tungsten burning in low-oxygen environments... is that a fact? somehow that does not sound right to me.

I also wouldn't use "poison" here. poisoning is an effect on biological targets... and at the time this text is available, we don't even know how or if the alien lifeforms can be poisened. apart from that, it just doesn't sit right with me, poisoning your enemies is not very honorable. do you know what I mean?

hmmm... tungsten burning in low-oxygen environments... is that a fact? somehow that does not sound right to me.

I also wouldn't use "poison" here. poisoning is an effect on biological targets... and at the time this text is available, we don't even know how or if the alien lifeforms can be poisened. apart from that, it just doesn't sit right with me, poisoning your enemies is not very honorable. do you know what I mean?

You would probably die soon in 15% oxygen (in air is 21% in volumes), but 15% is plenty for some materials to burn. Their oxides are very toxic and are dispersed by the heavy burning.

You rememer how lobsterman are resistant to some types of ammunition? While humans were not? I guess some types of aliens will take half damage from this, just penetration and heat, while humans will suffer also from poisoning.

I hope some aliens still have breath, those will get full damage.

About honor, I see your point, but war is not honorable. If aliens and humans were honorable, they would share flowers and greeting cards, not high explosive ammunition.

P.S. Thinking a bit more, I was talking about low oxygen environment in refference to humans. A tank hit by such projectile would be depleted of oxygen pretty fast. I guess I should think of a fluff about "Killing for alien dummies: More than one way to kill a X-Corp soldier"

Edited by dan2

You would probably die soon in 15% oxygen (in air is 21% in volumes), but 15% is plenty for some materials to burn. Their oxides are very toxic and are dispersed by the heavy burning.

and this is true for tungsten? I wasn't aware of that.

About honor, I see your point, but war is not honorable. If aliens and humans were honorable, they would share flowers and greeting cards, not high explosive ammunition.

that, I suppose, is something I wouldn't want to decide. I was thinking that in X-Com, humans did fight rather honorably. they never developed any anti-alien toxins. I remember those from Apocalypse, though... but even then, X-Com never used them for something like pumping whole buildings full with them. I wouldn't want us to use tactics like that. as I said, I think this is a thing that needs to be discussed in depth.

And this is true for tungsten? I wasn't aware of that.

That, I suppose, is something I wouldn't want to decide. I was thinking that in X-Com, humans did fight rather honorably. they never developed any anti-alien toxins. I remember those from Apocalypse, though... but even then, X-Com never used them for something like pumping whole buildings full with them. I wouldn't want us to use tactics like that. as I said, I think this is a thing that needs to be discussed in depth.

Many metals burn when they're dispersed as a fine powder. Due to impact and penetration, a lot of tungsten would fragment to the right size. I didn't say the whole projectile would, but just some of it.

A nail made of iron would never burn, but really fine iron can explode when dispersed in air.

I still remember once when I got from my brother a car bulb (12V) which had the bulb broken, but the filament (made of tungsten) was still intact. When coupled to power, a heavy smoke came out of the filament, so I've seen it with my own eyes. From my chemical knowledge, it's oxidating to tungsten trioxide.

For the second part, I can say it's happening now, not against aliens, but against other humans, when depleted uranium is used. So if we use bullets, we think it's normal to use them against aliens. If we use flame throwers, incendiaries are fine. Why not heavy metal ammunition? It's a logical continuation.

And I'm sure aliens would have no objections to use plasma on humans. I was reading through plasma weaponry and it seems it's pretty dangerous, to the edge of unnecessary powerful against lousy humans.

But, of course, I'm ready to hear more, it's cooperation that will lead humans to victory against aliens (they're so dumb and careless sometimes in X-coms)

Edited by dan2

As was I, Dan2. I have voiced my dissatisfaction through a PM.

In any case, I guess it's largely a non-issue. Texts using depleted uranium will probably stay that way, and your amorphous tungsten idea will stay in your text- just don't say that depleted uranium was banned. :)

Although I'm still hoping for a new Missile Weapons Systems CT to explain all this in full detail. :P

As was I, Dan2.  I have voiced my dissatisfaction through a PM.

In any case, I guess it's largely a non-issue.  Texts using depleted uranium will probably stay that way, and your amorphous tungsten idea will stay in your text- just don't say that depleted uranium was banned. :)

Although I'm still hoping for a new Missile Weapons Systems CT to explain all this in full detail. :P

Well, it's not that I don't think the texts shouldn't stay the way they are, it's about how the topic was terminated prematurely.

I'll delete the part with banning, no big deal, it can be easily explained why tungsten is a good and cheap substitute without banning DU.

Edited by dipstick

Personally, I'm a stickler for accuracy.

Which is why I blinked seeing the DU banned bit.

Some thoughts, avoiding the health/ecology controversies, which I think we can file as "still in controversy", and thus no government is likely to move:

1. DU was developed in response to modern tank armors. Previous tank rounds (ie, in WW2) did use tungsten cores. Against modern armors, tungsten didn't do the job.

Now, as I understand it, we're supposed to write the initial equipment CTs as if there are no aliens, at least not confirmed.

Which leads to the thought: There's nothing on the horizon in the next 20 years that would make DU obsolete. They've looked. We're near the horizon on What Armor Can Do, as far as I know. Advances are in stuff like electromagnetic fields to stop rounds from a distance, etc. The basic armor, I think, is plateau'd for the foreseeable future.

2. If nothing has changed, why would governments change? Change is expensive. Governments have built up billions in war reserves, etc., that are Unlikely to be depleted anytime soon.

Not changing is cheaper.

Governments dislike spending money.

Ergo, WHY would governments change, and therefore why would militaries change?

3. I got NIH articles when I asked about amorphous tungsten on the other thread, but nothing describing what amorphous tungsten is.

If it doesn't exist, consider:

If we're set 10 years in the future, anything used in military gear would be out now. Development is a slow process. The simplest things take 5 years to develop on military procurement cycles, and weaponry is not simple, including ammunition.

Personally, I'm a stickler for accuracy.

Which is why I blinked seeing the DU banned bit.

1. DU was developed in response to modern tank armors. Previous tank rounds (ie, in WW2) did use tungsten cores. Against modern armors, tungsten didn't do the job.

Governments dislike spending money.

3. I got NIH articles when I asked about amorphous tungsten on the other thread, but nothing describing what amorphous tungsten is.

Ok, I agree, I like accuracy too.

In WW2 they used steel rich in tungsten, but the main element there was still iron, not tungsten. I'm talking about pure, ultrarapidly cooled tungsten.

The price of depleted uranium depends very much with the government, some countries have it, some don't. I'm not sure if it's sold from one country to another. The price of tungsten is pretty much the same everywhere, and much lower than for DU. I have an article saying it's about 50$ per tone, but it's not clear if is not talking about it's oxide. I estimate about 300$ per tone for the pure, amorphous metal. From Google (since I'm not sure it's commercially available) I saw some estimations about DU price at about 40$ per kilogram. You tell me which is cheaper.

I told you already, it's a metal in it's amorphous state. How you transform a metal from crystaline to amorphous? You heat it to a very high temperature and the you cool it very fast. Think of heating a sword close to red, then putting it into a barrel of water to make it far more durable.

Again, just search on Google, you'll find out if DU doesn't have an impact even today. Politicians love cheap things, but they want people content, too.

Anyway, both will be used, and I already wrote I'll eliminate that passage.

s_price.pdf

Edited by dan2

Maybe instead of "amorphous", how about "tempered"?  I think more people would understand it then. :P

No, if I have to choose, "amorphous" it's probably my choice. It's reffering to it's solid state and how atoms are disordered.

Tempered can be just a thermal treatment, but it might not be strong enough to make a metal amorphous.

"Vitrous" or "glassy" can be used, though

Ok, that makes more sense. "Vitreous" has a nice ring to it, imho. :P

Vitreous Wolframite (Latin name for tungsten and source of its atomic letter, "W")

I'm sure that would raise some eyebrows. :D

Edited by Astyanax

Ok, that makes more sense.  "Vitreous" has a nice ring to it, imho. :P

Vitreous Wolframite (Latin name for tungsten and source of its atomic letter, "W")

I'm sure that would raise some eyebrows. :D

Yeah, we call it wolfram, too, but it's an english game. I think the name was given by miners, "foam of the wolf", because they were angry they can't get the metal from the mineral. Of course, they were trying to get another metal, and the two minerals look very alike. Cobalt and nickel (mythological creatures) got their names the same way.

So it should be "vitreous" now?

Edited by dan2

Dan, what you say might work...However, when I said cheaper, I meant in development costs. You speak of materials costs. Two very, very different things. The materials may be very cheap. (Though I think a per ton price is fairly irrelevant, since we ignore refining and production costs with that.) The development costs are almost universally EXPENSIVE AS heck.

That said, assuming it does, I just feel a need to check. If any chem or Material Sciences types know, what's the malleability of tungsten actually like?

One of the reasons DU is so popular is that, even with the protective requirements, it's supposed to be relatively easy to turn into stuff. Most of the radioactive elements are, oddly, very easy to shape and manufacture.

Tungsten, as I understand it, is difficult to work with. Keep in mind it has the highest melting point of any metal.

<stops, blinks>

:huh:

Waitasec. HOW did we get started on this?

This is basically air defense.

Air defense uses missiles like, say, the Patriot (or whatever SAM you like).

Which contain nothing like DU or tungsten shot, or shot at all.

If this were the XCAPS, we'd have a vaguely valid argument. (Even then, though, if we worry what shot they fire, we're focusing on the wrong thing. It's about the tank, not the round.)

But...

If any chem or Material Sciences types know, what's the malleability of tungsten actually like?

Tungsten, as I understand it, is difficult to work with. Keep in mind it has the highest melting point of any metal.

Air defense uses missiles like, say, the Patriot (or whatever SAM you like).

Which contain nothing like DU or tungsten shot, or shot at all.

If this were the XCAPS, we'd have a vaguely valid argument. (Even then, though, if we worry what shot they fire, we're focusing on the wrong thing. It's about the tank, not the round.)

You don't have to melt the metal, actually tungsten is made also through decomposition of tungsten iodide, which is a volative liquid that decompose in iodine and tungsten on very hot objects (like a tungsten filament that grows continously).

You can process the metal without melting it, you make it powder and sinterize it. I mean you put the powder into a shape, heat it at a very high temperature and the crystalls will join slowly. Cool it in liquid nitrogen and you have a vitreous solid.

The way I understand it, a rocket has two parts, the head which can be armor piercing, high explosive or even nuclear, and the thrusting part, containing a burning chamber in which chemicals (fuel and oxidizer) burn giving a lot of hot gases. We were talking about what's in the head. I said it's tungsten, as a substitute to depleted uranium. You like DU. We can be both right.

The whole discussion started when Astyanax said we must agree if depleted uranium would be banned at the time of the game or not. I read a lot of articles and I hope one day politicians will decide that is time to use a substitute to DU. But I guess I shouldn't say what they're going to do in the future. It was just an educated guess.

Yes, we're arguing and we shouldn't. I said it already, I will eliminate DU banning and this should do it. I think...

Edited by dan2

Dan, you missed the most essential part of the post.:-D

We were arguing about something not even relevant.

What the missile is made out of is kinda useless, because...Er...

It's a SAM.

SAMs can be described practically how you like so long as they relate to modern missiles (use real missiles, I imagine someone here can imagine the SOTA in 10 years, though I can't see that there's been much development for a long time), but they aren't filled with anything but explosive.

Certainly nothing as controversial as what fills tank rounds.

The only time SAMs get controversial are when there are accidental shoot-downs, the radar screws up and a friendly is thought to be an enemy, or you shoot down a civilian airliner.

Though I must admit to otherwise being clueless about SAMs...Certainly we have people here with some clue?:-D

However, an idea does come up.

XCorps bases are supposedly secret...But what about civilian airliners overflying, or low-flying general-aviation aircraft? If restricted airspace pops up in the middle of nowehere, there's no secrecy, but on the other hand...

Some accidental shootdowns seem inevitable, in short.

Edit: I should amend my statement.

There have been the RARE nuclear-tipped SAMs, back in the 50s. However, I cannot recall that they EVER left the drawing board.

Edited by Penta

Another version. It's for sure not the last one, but I'm waiting for more input :) or even suggestions of a different format

MISSILE DEFENSE ARRAY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base Facilities/Missile Defense Array

The threat of an Alien assault on an X-Corps base has always been a concern despite the fact that they are constructed deep underground and designed to withstand an extended bombardment. X-Corps engineers improved on existing missile defense technologies to bring about the advanced, more efficient [Missile Defense Array] based on the veteran ‘Rapier’ SAM system.

Should our activities be efficient enough to draw attention from any UFO, it would be likely that our bases would become prime targets for Alien investigations or retaliatory strikes. It might be wise for us to implement active measures in order to defend our bases from aerial Alien assaults. Unfortunately, because of our current lack of knowledge of Alien UFO speed and armor capabilities, our engineers recommend construction of multiple [Missile Defense Array] to improve our ability to repel such assaults.

The [Missile Defense Array] carefully designed for X-Corps is based on extremely effective SAM systems currently used by major world military organizations, and it contains a control room connected to an accurate, though very short-range, microwave radar, revolutionary rotary mountings with ready-to-launch tungsten warhead missiles able respond to fast moving threats possessing a degree of accuracy unmatched by other modern missile systems, and storage for a generous supply of missiles.

Inside the control room, our defensive operators can remotely adjust missile trajectories when tracking devices are unable to lock onto difficult targets due to excessive speeds or unusual emissions spectra. Microwave radar signals are continually analyzed by photomolecular supercomputers, enabling fast access to vital information about the target- its shape, size, and velocity- all with a precision of mere centimeters, giving our defenses a significant boost in accuracy.

After the Gulf Reformation Wars, nations worldwide condemned the usage of depleted uranium for military purposes, due to the lasting deleterious effects of radioactivity on the environment. Our engineers have come up with a very good substitute: vitreous tungsten. Like depleted uranium, this material does not melt on impact and continually sharpens instead of flattening out like other alloys, a phenomenon that enhances drastically penetration. This self-sharpening property results from the fact that vitreous tungsten forms highly acute angles when dull edges are exposed to pressure. When vitreous tungsten hits the target, its ability to burn in a low oxygen environment allows it to poison and incinerate the target from the inside out.

The warheads in these slightly larger versions of ‘Rapier’ missiles are fitted with a special aluminum tip designed to flatten against the target instead of bouncing off, allowing the vitreous tungsten core to advance inside the target and wreak its powerful damage.