XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Where To Start?

Disarray

Hey there.

I've always wanted to give the X-Com series a try, but for whatever reason I always ended up forgetting about it. Well, no more!

I'm just not sure where to start. I always wanted to play Terror from the Deep but I suppose I should go with UFO Defence first. There seem to be several versions though. The original floppy disk, a collector's edition, one on Steam and perhaps more? Are there any differences in these? I'd like to go with the most complete and prettiest version. That probably means I need to patch the game as well, but there seem to be loads of these too. Can anyone show me which I need? I don't mind paying for the Steam version out of support, but a friend of mine said he can get me a copy too, so I might go for that first to see if I even like the game. I have no idea which version that is though. Also do all versions of the game look like the pixelated mess on this screenshot:

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/7760/0000005205.1024x768.jpg

? Or can you make the game look a bit cleaner after some tweaking?

Anyway, thank you guys in advance. The help is appreciated. :)

PS. I'm on windows xp.

Edited by Disarray

UFO Defense: Windows and DOS version. DOS is the one on Steam. The Steam version also looks a bit better thanks to some form of anti-aliasing.

Terror From the Deep: same except the current version on Steam is the Windows one, but the DOSBox version will be added soon.

Apocalypse: only the DOS version exists.

Interceptor and Enforcer: only Windows versions.

The DOS version of UFO has the difficulty bug (it's always on Beginner). But since you're new and the game is hard, that won't be a problem. :P

TFTD has different research trees between the DOS and Windows version.