XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Random Thoughts

Penta

Just some random thoughts, since I'm a new guy.

First, on classified programs like X-Com/X-Corps (I'm assuming it's corps as in Marine Corps, not as in Corporation?). This is basic things that might be useful for thought processes.

Some general thoughts:

1. Surprisingly enough, even the most high-tech organizations very rarely deal in email and digital stuff for classified documents. Yes, there are classified computers and media. Yes, there is classified email. But things like reports, briefings, etc. are overwhelmingly on paper. Why? Because paper is bigger. Being bigger, it's harder to smuggle out. More commonly (because 99% of classified data isn't intentionally compromised; it's mishandled by accident or due to simple negligence or laziness), it's harder to accidentally carry out. It's harder, for example, to accidentally put in your coat or your briefcase and carry out of secure areas. Also, the general rule is that unless you physically destroy the disk, any data on a disk (removable media or fixed media( can be retrieved at some point.

But that's expensive, so paper is more common.

2. 2 people tend to handle any Top Secret document. 2 people for production, for moving it from place to place, and for destruction.

3. Classified programs are hard to keep truly secret. Things like X-Com would be harder still. Classified programs produce lots of documentation, as does anything in which large organizations are involved. Classified research and test programs have weird crap happening all the time that SOMEONE will notice. Just see Area 51 for an example.

Classified combat programs (like X-Com) are harder still. You have to store equipment. You have to house people.

Nobody can stay on a base all the time. Ever.

4. Satellite recon is easy. It is cheap. Which is why X-Com's underground basing thing now seems, 10 years later, so odd.

Any commercial satellite would be able to tell there's something there, particularly any base with any activity.

I have to go now, but will post more later.

First, on classified programs like X-Com/X-Corps (I'm assuming it's corps as in Marine Corps, not as in Corporation?). This is basic things that might be useful for thought processes.

Yes, X-Corps stand for Xenocide Corps :)

1. Surprisingly enough, even the most high-tech organizations very rarely deal in email and digital stuff for classified documents. Yes, there are classified computers and media. Yes, there is classified email. But things like reports, briefings, etc. are overwhelmingly on paper. Why? Because paper is bigger. Being bigger, it's harder to smuggle out. More commonly (because 99% of classified data isn't intentionally compromised; it's mishandled by accident or due to simple negligence or laziness), it's harder to accidentally carry out. It's harder, for example, to accidentally put in your coat or your briefcase and carry out of secure areas. Also, the general rule is that unless you physically destroy the disk, any data on a disk (removable media or fixed media( can be retrieved at some point.

But that's expensive, so paper is more common.

2. 2 people tend to handle any Top Secret document. 2 people for production, for moving it from place to place, and for destruction.

3. Classified programs are hard to keep truly secret. Things like X-Com would be harder still. Classified programs produce lots of documentation, as does anything in which large organizations are involved. Classified research and test programs have weird crap happening all the time that SOMEONE will notice. Just see Area 51 for an example.

And what if the network was closed to outside and all the people working for the organisation didn't have... permission to leave?, the Living Quarters text specifies that the troopers and personnel have all the commodities so that they don't feel as trapped as they are. Because our UFOPAEDIA is a computer network called X-NET I suppose there must be a reason as to why that doesn't compromise security.

Classified combat programs (like X-Com) are harder still. You have to store equipment. You have to house people.

They can, if we don't let them :devillaugh: , but seriously, if the personnel are granted all commodities found on the exterior, maybe they could stay, maybe X-Corps could even allow all personnel to take their families with them, so that there are no morale issues, or perhaps the sole thought of the duty of having to protect your species is enough?, I'm not sure.

4. Satellite recon is easy. It is cheap. Which is why X-Com's underground basing thing now seems, 10 years later, so odd.

Any commercial satellite would be able to tell there's something there, particularly any base with any activity.

As the Xenocide Project is international, maybe all countries "fixed" their sattelites to prevent detection. But anyway, I don't think it would be detectable unless someone was actively watching, and even so, that someone would have to be watching in the correct area, X-Corps bases are everywhere and anywhere.

But nevermind that, because according to our current storyline, the whole sattelite grid is destroyed by the Aliens when they start attacking, somewhere in 2012. That is, at least, the story we have so far :)

Yes, X-Corps stand for Xenocide Corps

I imagine at first the organization is purely military, but in many ways it became a company too. Thus it changes from just the Corps to the Corporation. A philosophical glance I guess.

Here is how I imagined the secrecy thing worked.

A) Everyone who signs up is removed from existence(even birth) outside Xenocide. Preferably only personnell with little to no attachment would be chosen. Those who did have some attachment would transplant that portion, although such policy is discouraged. They know from the get go that they now belong to X-CORP and its ultimate goals. For this reason as well there are little to no secrets at bases.

B) Supplies do not go directly to bases, they go through complicated lines that have them ending up at random locations from which the supplies are taken by Xenocide staff. Frequent changes of suppliers and other tactics make tracking the shipments and finding bases next to impossible.

C) Because of national paranoia from nations who fund X-CORP, it was agreed that a policy of blind funding is best. Money is delivered in much the same manner as supplies and is as difficult to track. Mostly it is handled electronically.

D) X-CORP troops come from backgrounds where this kind of isolation was common for months. By a certain point Alien Entertainment technologies allow recreation that could keep the troops happy indefinitely.

E) Information systems are isolated and operations that require outside networks are not connected at all to internal systems.

X-CORP has the best of everything in the world. Many of the computer guys designed or worked on the computer networks that control these satellites. It is relative child's play to hack in and modify scans so bases never show up.

And what if the network was closed to outside and all the people working for the organisation didn't have... permission to leave?, the Living Quarters text specifies that the troopers and personnel have all the commodities so that they don't feel as trapped as they are. Because our UFOPAEDIA is a computer network called X-NET I suppose there must be a reason as to why that doesn't compromise security

There are ways, but only barely. IRL, there are dedicated fiber-optic circuits which create a secure network for the US Military, SIPRNET (Secret Internet Protocol Router Network) and TSIPRNET (Top Secret IP Router Network). That partially solves the issue. Partially.

They can, if we don't let them  :devillaugh: , but seriously, if the personnel are granted all commodities found on the exterior, maybe they could stay, maybe X-Corps could even allow all personnel to take their families with them, so that there are no morale issues, or perhaps the sole thought of the duty of having to protect your species is enough?, I'm not sure.

Issues:

1. We don't actually know what would happen to people, or groups of people, in that sort of isolation. The only people, these days, who could even possibly be said to be in that sort of isolation are astronauts. And we don't know the psychological effects of long-term isolation to that extent. With submariners, the max is 3 months. Nobody's actually studied beyond, say...6 months.

2. Families. You have to account for the likely possibility of kids. Which means you need to deal with child care, education, and everything that comes with it. Also, the psychological effect on *them* of being isolated like that for any length of time. Let alone being underground for that long.

3. Quite simply, being underground continuously like that would not be healthy. For anybody. Humans are designed for a certain amount of continuous, daily exposure to sunlight. Not UV lamps, natural sunlight. We stop at 3 months with submariners for 2 issues: One, food. Keep in mind, *everything* you ship into a base must come from somewhere; Those suppliers will know about the bases. And do you really think you can avoid leaks from the thousands of people that would be involved? Two, morale. One of the things easy to forget is that even 2 months basically shut away is difficult. It is a psychological pressure-cooker in the best of situations. See the psychological metastudy here for useful (if dated) information regarding the effects of isolation.

Which brings up a thought. Sure, the "average" military force would include women, but would X-Corps? The isolation would seem to make that politically difficult, at a minimum. At the same time, the psychological issues would seem to make the isolated bases we postulate a distinct problem. The stimulation and performance issue would be difficult enough.

As the Xenocide Project is international, maybe all countries "fixed" their sattelites to prevent detection. But anyway, I don't think it would be detectable unless someone was actively watching, and even so, that someone would have to be watching in the correct area, X-Corps bases are everywhere and anywhere.

But nevermind that, because according to our current storyline, the whole sattelite grid is destroyed by the Aliens when they start attacking, somewhere in 2012. That is, at least, the story we have so far :)

OK...if the sat grid is destroyed, some issues come up:

1. Navigation. Um, most aircraft are by now rather dependent on GPS. By 2012???

2. Covertness. If the satgrid goes, everybody will notice. See GPS. You could no longer keep the aliens covert, which probably means you couldn't keep X-Corps covert either.

And what if the network was closed to outside and all the people working for the organisation didn't have... permission to leave?, the Living Quarters text specifies that the troopers and personnel have all the commodities so that they don't feel as trapped as they are. Because our UFOPAEDIA is a computer network called X-NET I suppose there must be a reason as to why that doesn't compromise security

There are ways, but only barely. IRL, there are dedicated fiber-optic circuits which create a secure network for the US Military, SIPRNET (Secret Internet Protocol Router Network) and TSIPRNET (Top Secret IP Router Network). That partially solves the issue. Partially.

By 2012 there could be more sophisticated technology, and Xenocide has the best. Besides, if no one is supposed to know anything, barely some of the UN high-ups, the risk of hacking could be significantly low. There would be no papers about the existance of X-Corps, except in Xenocide itself.

They can, if we don't let them  :devillaugh: , but seriously, if the personnel are granted all commodities found on the exterior, maybe they could stay, maybe X-Corps could even allow all personnel to take their families with them, so that there are no morale issues, or perhaps the sole thought of the duty of having to protect your species is enough?, I'm not sure.

Issues:

1. We don't actually know what would happen to people, or groups of people, in that sort of isolation. The only people, these days, who could even possibly be said to be in that sort of isolation are astronauts. And we don't know the psychological effects of long-term isolation to that extent. With submariners, the max is 3 months. Nobody's actually studied beyond, say...6 months.

2. Families. You have to account for the likely possibility of kids. Which means you need to deal with child care, education, and everything that comes with it. Also, the psychological effect on *them* of being isolated like that for any length of time. Let alone being underground for that long.

3. Quite simply, being underground continuously like that would not be healthy. For anybody. Humans are designed for a certain amount of continuous, daily exposure to sunlight. Not UV lamps, natural sunlight. We stop at 3 months with submariners for 2 issues: One, food. Keep in mind, *everything* you ship into a base must come from somewhere; Those suppliers will know about the bases. And do you really think you can avoid leaks from the thousands of people that would be involved? Two, morale. One of the things easy to forget is that even 2 months basically shut away is difficult. It is a psychological pressure-cooker in the best of situations. See the psychological metastudy here for useful (if dated) information regarding the effects of isolation.

This is a very interesting subject I hadn't thought of, how do they manage to keep all those people down there without revealing its presence, I guess they are not underground 24/7, they can leave the main complex and go outside, just not leave a certain secure perimeter. Hmmmm, maybe we should think about a feasible explanation about this... might do a great text! :D

Which brings up a thought. Sure, the "average" military force would include women, but would X-Corps? The isolation would seem to make that politically difficult, at a minimum. At the same time, the psychological issues would seem to make the isolated bases we postulate a distinct problem. The stimulation and performance issue would be difficult enough.

Without women would be worse... ehem!, this is a good point, maybe separated living quarters?, base building could be a simplification of the real thing for strategic purposes, the living quarters could actually be divided, not sure.

OK...if the sat grid is destroyed, some issues come up:

2. Covertness. If the satgrid goes, everybody will notice. See GPS. You could no longer keep the aliens covert, which probably means you couldn't keep X-Corps covert either.

There is chaos at the beginning, I tried to solve this issue here: http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6844

Also, everyone will notice that the satellites are gone, but the governments will keep it covered, someway or another, for a while, it's obvious that the Aliens cannot remain hidden for much longer, the Terror Attacks are just too many and Abductions, Bases, UFOs flying everywhere, their presence will not remain a secret for long, but the X-Corps can be secret, who would believe the entire world is cooperating for once? :P

I had forgotten which fan fic I read that was linked in the stories topics, but I thought it had a logical atmospheric progression about it where it, at first, from the character's perspectives anyway, started from the earliest days when secrecy was a must and went from there - gradually going more public (the org that is, not necessarily classified details they might still have deemed classified I take it).

And like you just pointed out Azrael, when the aliens stepped up their missions to be more overt - Abductions, Terrorist attacks and the like, their activities could not be covered up by any of our governments and the public would know about them.

Anyway, all I remembered about the story's ending times was just before the TFTD activities, when some biographer was writing a book about X-COM's declassified fare involving the main character, his early days, then his part in the Cydonia battle.

What the story didn't reveal so clearly to me was at which point, between during any part of the war, or its conclusion that X-COM's existance became known to the average Joe. True, I know that's just a fan fic, but it got me thinking. Plus, I don't think there was much explained either with the normal timeline of the genre...or was there? (I can't keep up any more :)) about the specifics about when X-COM's existance into the public's consciousness occured.

Anyway, I digress on this issue. After all, Xenocide's approaching their game from parallel perspective in many areas, but I suspect not all (for some originality perhaps?).

With the issue of the satellites, whether they get knocked out early or not by aliens or even if they'd consider them primary targets right away, or later on...My bet would be later on, when a few countries or so have already succumbed to their infiltration efforts. Otherwise, to me anyway, infiltration missions would seem useless, especially if they didn't want their actions revealed to any great extent yet.

In any case, post satelite crackdown by the aliens, one solution I can come up with what governments can start to use to rebuild it quickly and cheaply (and if this is happening in the storyline in 2012 or shortly after, the theory below makes more sense), they can go the route of instituting cheaply made nanosatelite off the shelf technology. Universities right now are coming up with ways to make launching satelites and everything involved in the process to be done more cheaply, so it doesn't seem that far off of a reality since its actually based in reality :)

Another bit of reality for you. While I can't speak for the advancements of aliens like this in a game to track all the myriad circling space junk to discern functional satelites from the rest of the debris up there from years of space work, I know we can largely do a decent job of that since we're already doing that now. With satelites getting ever smaller in design, some with expendable singular specialized uses, I do wonder if at this point the aliens would bother messing with our satelites by a given technological level.

Seems to me they'd be expending a lot of effort to find and disable ever smaller communications satelites (with questionable gains for them), especially if they've gotten to the point in their mission where they've begun to hit much more popular and well populated cities to terrorize.

Seems to me they'd be expending a lot of effort to find and disable ever smaller communications satelites (with questionable gains for them), especially if they've gotten to the point in their mission where they've begun to hit much more popular and well populated cities to terrorize.

Not that much effort, a single plasma blast from the smallest scout could easily destroy a sattelite, or make it inoperative. With satellites, we could detect them more easier, I think, know where they are going to attack faster.

Will not be an issue. No aircraft is dependant on GPS, it is not considered reliable enough, no single system is. Commercial transports have 4-8 doubled(tripled) navigation systems, military has many more.

1. Well, how did Stargate handle it? The Chyenne mountain base has similar concerns. For the most part, people lived at home, and went to work at the base. Living quarters were inside the base for troops and personell that had to stay on "hot standby". There's likely a local perimeter that you couldn't pass, but you could go to town if you have leave. The troops likely won't be as isolated as you imagine.

2. Families are often kept in a local government housing area. Such areas can be locked off to civilians, and sometimes schooling and other sevices are provided. Military families also have dealt with absentee parents for thousands of years. X-Corps isn't going to be breaking new ground here.

3. An underground base is not the same as a submarine. Underground bases have:

- more room,

- more food,

- softer beds,

- lots more lighting,

- bigger bathrooms,

- more shower time,

- Teh internetss!!!11!

- and more TVs than a sub could hope to squeeze in. Not very different from staying on a college campus, just a little more cramped.

About keeping the base itself secret, well that simply can't be done. X-Corps can shut down news stations, they can suppress reporting, they can deny satellite access, they can deny airspace, they can have the best, most loyal people possible, and they can silence people, which tends to be good enough. Generally, the locals will know that the government property is there, and may know some people that work there. They just won't have any clue what the base is, or what it does. The base could just be what they say it is, a NASA deep space research project. Or, it could be some sort of black government operation which deals with aliens and UFOs, for all they know. We aren't telling them. ^_^

The thing is, we may think it'd be so tough to keep X-Corps a secret, because we already know it exists. But "don't ask, don't tell" goes a long way, and security clearences aren't cheap.

Edited by Robo Dojo 58

Taking out communication satellites in the atmosphere would destroy the global economy. So many things rely on satellite technology that it would simply create chaos. If the aliens were fighting a conventional war that would be their first move. HOwever they seem to be trying to 'annex' rather than conquer, so eliminating stability would be a bad move. YOu guys really need to change that part of the story.

I'm not so sure about that, I find it a logical step, with satellites we can see them coming from Mars, where they can strike, we could pursue their ships much easier, when an UFO is detected we could just lock a satellite on it and see where it's going.

Think of the Aliens, the Aliens don't care if our economy goes to heck, the satellite grid goes down, do you really think everyone will guess it's the Aliens?, besides, who cares if the people know about it?, the governments already do and that's why X-Corps is made.

besides, less people will know about it if a terror site pops up. It will simply destroy the world globilization- The time of information will be over. No-one knows what is happening, unless it's happening right next to them.

Global panic, less resistance, and will explain why the military doesn't work.

The world will be blown back into darkness, although no-one dies. Great idea when the aliens only needs us for war.

Hmmm.... We would need to revise the alien research. And the theory behind terror sites. Why do terror sites when no-one will learn about it, and will only result in dead people, something the aliens are not interestied in...

To scare people, in an area people will hear about the attacks on certain cities/towns/villages and get scared, remember the Aliens attack also the capitals, that would put pressure on governments to sign the pacts and reduce funding.

Not that much effort, a single plasma blast from the smallest scout could easily destroy a sattelite, or make it inoperative. With satellites, we could detect them more easier, I think, know where they are going to attack faster.

My point was, that its the difference between your destructive capability at hand, and your detection ability.

Its one thing to say that yea, the aliens could vaporize a satelite with a plasma bolt easily enough, its another thing to say that they can discern working satelites (the biggest objects are probably what they'd hit first if anything) amongst all that space junk up there from over four decades now.

My point was, that its the difference between your destructive capability at hand, and your detection ability.

Its one thing to say that yea, the aliens could vaporize a satelite with a plasma bolt easily enough, its another thing to say that they can discern working satelites (the biggest objects are probably what they'd hit first if anything) amongst all that space junk up there from over four decades now.

A small UFO can take them all out in matter of hours anyway, there is not much effort on that. But they could detect energy emissions from the working ones if they wanted to, I think.

Fair enough. But I still wonder what knocking out our communications gains them if they did this activity from the outset rather than say, once Earth started putting up some resistance to them. Seems to me they'd go this route once we put up a fight, but not at the expense of their infiltration efforts or that mission for them would be a little pointless.

However I do see some logic with them wishing to cut off communications from countries they've taken over with the rest of the world, to sort of mask their activities there. I can also see them going after sats from other nations that puts their paths over those places to complete this "information blackout". A sort of strategic satellite weeding out process of them plinking out the ones that matter.

Still, they've got to know by some point that even if they wanted to take them all out in one swoop in a few hours, it doesn't take care of the hundreds or thousands of ground stations' overlapping coverage that way on the planet. The most they can influence unless they're on strafing runs at these places too is plinking out mainly those they have influence over via the countries they infiltrated already.

I just think there should be some basic logic in this sort of progression though in the aliens' thinking. And that is, that unless they've got the cloned manpower, it doesn't make sense they would want worldwide panic before they were well positioned to take advantage of that. In my view, the fact that they even do infiltration missions is precisely cause of this main principle, they're biding their time, picking and choosing their battles to make good use of their cloned brothers as they become available (not to mention material too).

I view the take down of the satellite network as something they might do as a precursor to tipping their hand after they'd taken a number of countries, just before their major assaults on the populace. I think it'd further illustrate and show us (one of the reasons anyway - imagine the blame shifting from nation to nation as to who poked out their eyes) why they got us to fight amongst ourselves. Its one of the forks in the road to their domination efforts, have us pick ourselves off for a while until the real threat is revealed.

A gradual progression is the way I'd go to show this, unless the timeline of events takes all this into account at the beginning of the game (aliens poked out our eyes just as you started a new session) with all of this explained as you began with some countries already on their side.

I am geussing Alien computer and electronic science is considerably more sophisticated then even XCORP fields. Also, XCORP is probably hacking satellites all the time to gain access to critical information and remove compromising images, etc. The aliens could easily manipulate the whole satellite grid to their advantage, esepcially since they could get direct access in space. In fact destroying the satellite grid would destroy their best oppurtunity for information gathering and manipulation.

Also, if the economy sinks, there would first be a lot of unrest and possibly rioting. Large scale problems with food and other transportation as well as banks sinking. It would destroy any influence the government had over its people. The Aliens want to have a back door way of instituting large scale psychic domination.

The only point where destroying satellites makes sense is whenever it is necessary to take XCORP down. However, considering there are lots of satellites to bounce around, they would have to destroy considerable parts of the grid.

• 2 months later...
A solar flare could be blamed for knocking out all the satellites. I've read several news articles that warned that the world economy would be devistated if the satellites were destroyed. The solar flare thing is only a matter of time. A few of them were knocked out by a flare only a few years ago actually.