5 replies to this topic

#1 Becket

Becket

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

Hi, I'm new to the boards. I was wondering if anyone could help me find a program to record footage of the original X-Com game. I'm running XP.

#2 MrGOATSE

MrGOATSE

Rookie

• New Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

FRAPS?

#3 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

If you're running it on DOSBox, you can use the built-in capture feature with CTRL+F5 to take screenshots and CTRL+ALT+F5 to start/stop recording.

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#4 Becket

Becket

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

If you're running it on DOSBox, you can use the built-in capture feature with CTRL+F5 to take screenshots and CTRL+ALT+F5 to start/stop recording.

Another question, what codec should I use to view and compress it?

#5 Tanki

Tanki

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

Another question, what codec should I use to view and compress it?

The Video will use the codec known as ZMBV (Zip Motion Blocks Video). DOSBox has an option to install the ZMBV codec. I've found that Virtualdub
is the best free program to edit, compress, or change the format of a ZMBV video. Virtualdub requires the ZMBV codec to be installed first before it can open the video.

Suggestions: changing the format of your video.

If your looking for an exact replica of the video, use the "RGB" codec. Be warned the size of your videos will be in the Gig range!

If your looking for quality and reasonable size with little distortion (almost unnoticeable), use "Windows Video 1" codec also known as fourcc CRAM, MSVC, or WHAM.

Edit: I made my avatar from a clip of X-COM's intro using the RGB codec, though I had to re-size the image to fit the forums avatar parameters. Here is the full sized gif animation Muton Roar.

Edited by Tanki, 09 June 2010 - 03:24 PM.

Cap'a'Ton Tanki

#6 LambdaTeam

LambdaTeam

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

Growler Gun Cam. An extremely useful program indeed, it happily captures from DOS games as well. I always record mah videos wit' that.
Stand your ground, this is what we are fighting for,
for our spirit, laws and ways.
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war,
for heaven or heck, we shall not wait.

Shall I think of honour as lies?
Or lament, it's aged, slow demise?
Shall I stand as a total stranger
on this day, in this stone chamber?