XCOMUFO & Xenocide

IMO the more gore we have the better (being a fan of Braindead flick). :devillaugh: Some people might be put off by that kind of things though, but there should at least be a pool of blood - or what ever substance runs in their bodies - under each slain alien. Next step would probably be wounded looking corpses (made by texturing), but the last time I asked about this I didn't get any response so I didn't really bother with it. Edited by fidel_

I don't really see it as necessary except maybe when using explosives or non energy weapons.

for lasers or plasma I don't think it would be very accurate.

Well wouldnt lasers instantly cauterise the wound?

So you wouldnt get blood from shooting them but maybe if they fell to the ground you would get a pool of blood

And as for plasma, i would hate to think what that stuff would do to you, but a combination of severe burns and instantly vapourised flesh i think, that stuff would also cauterise a wound but the severe burns would probably bleed all over the place as your skin has gone :blink:

Again maybe a pool of blood if you fall over and a trail of blood during movement?

if the wound is instantly cauterized, there shouldn't be any pool of blood and if plasma vapoizes and instanty cauterizes as well there is even less reason for a pool of blood. IIRC, severe burns don't bleed much.

I think splatter should be quite minimal... I don´t even like flying limbs that much and someone is sure to be offended. (Even if i like the idea of cutting a sectoid in two from shoulder to opposite hip with my heavy laser.) Maybe a bit of blood-drip from wounded soldiers before bandaging and a small pool under corpses. Nothing huge, though.

I agree with what Tuoppi said. I think blood would be very nice. It lets you know at a glance what agents and aliens are hurting bad. It also is a nice visual indicator for critical wounds.

Graphical depictions of heavily wounded soldiers and aliens would be very immersive for older audiences, but would take away from younger audiences. It really depends on the target audience Xenocide will be made for, and the level of realism we're going for.

Flying limbs and gibs would take away from the "sneaky aliens" game atmosphere, IMO. It'd turn Xenocide into an all out war, which it isn't. I'll have to say no on this one.

someone is sure to be offended.

Someone's always going to be offended. Having a planet with 6 billion people ensures that. There's no way around it. We should stop talking about who's going to be offended, and start talking about what will be best for Xenocide. People will have a choice on whether or not to play this game; let them decide.

IIRC, there already was a discussion about dismemberment, and it got ruled out. So the most there can be is some blood for damaged/dead units, and I don't think it would make the game better if we had blood dripping from every wounded, err, organic being. Some fluids added to corpses seem fairly enough to me (destroyed tanks in pools of oil, that would look nice).

The best way to handle blood in game, for both aliens and humans is to do what the originial did. A dead unit has a small pool of blood around it.

Other than that no blood.

With the atmosphere, sounds, lighting and so on it will be enough without adding lots of gore. We're not making a res evil game ;)

I think it would be a also nice to see a wound effect on shot aliens/humans. This would be done pretty much the same way as bullet holes are done in every fps shooter, so that you add a small transparent wound texture (red splat or a scorch mark for example) on top of the original texture. And if we are going to have blood, we can always make it optional and thus please both parties.