XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - XCAP-AG, GDL

Guest Azrael Strife

Guest Azrael

Needs extensive revision and possible rewrite.

-----------

Laser Tank

In the early years of the Gulf Reformation Wars of the late Twentieth Century, the first Remotely Operated Vehicles saw military use. These early models had few, if any weapons and completely lacked autonomy software, instead being directly controlled by a soldier nearby. The viciousness of the Gulf Reformation War combined with advancements in composites and political fallout from human losses pushed the military ROV into the forefront of both development and deployment.

The peak of current ROV technology is the Modular Tank Chassis, built of carbon-reinforced, high-impact plastic for lightness, giving it an unmatched speed and agility. Armored with fifteen layers of ceramic composite mesh, the MTC is well protected against attack, and the latest hydrogen fuel cells give the MTC its power. The raw hydrogen itself is stored in a nanotube containment block, preventing explosion even if the MTC itself is destroyed. Twin composite treads are laced with carbon-filament for strength, and when combined with the MTC's liquid-magnetic suspension, allows it to travel over virtually any terrain.

Although safe and fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology, a soldier in even the heaviest firefight can easily control the semi-autonomous MTC without interfering in the operator’s other duties. The AlphaWave neural command system allows the operator to literally command the MTC with his thoughts. Any simple command (Scout, Attack, Defend, Cover-Fire, etc.) can be sent in the blink of an eye by a well trained controller, and the mil-spec independent action software will interpret and execute the command instantly. For operators unwilling to undergo the strenuous neural link training process, an arm mounted control pad is available. The single hardpoint of the MTC can accommodate a variety of modular turrets, from conventional weapon systems to custom designed battlefield support equipment.

The advent of heavy laser technology has given us a mobile weapon platform worthy of the name. Our recent attempts at combining a low frequency aircraft laser with a conventional modular turret have met with astounding success -- the XT-01L. This combination makes a mobile weapon of enormous power available to our troopers. While the limitations on power cell size have reduced the emitter's strength considerably compared to the original aircraft mounted version, the use of shocked photonic crystals returns it to a force far beyond that of any hand-held weapon. With an effectively unlimited firing capacity when fully charged, the -X1L is a fearsome weapon, capable of cutting through the toughest titanium armor with ease. Combined with cutting edge target acquisition software, and our upgraded Beta Wave Neural command processor, the -01L is force even the invaders must be wary of.

Uhm... Az? Thats not the Launcher CT...

I think that will be the one...

Launcher Hovertank

We have developed the penultimate mobile weapon platform -- the MHC-X2P. Our  recent breakthroughs in alien craft propulsion has born new fruit...the Modular Hover  Chassis. A low powered version of the alien gravity control device mated to a well-armored hull, gives us a remarkable successor to the venerable MTC. Able to move in all three axis', the MHC will at last give us power to rival to the alien's aerial support, and meet Ventriculates and Terror Disks on the their own ground.

While the majority of the hull is taken up with the power cells and alien technology, there is plenty of room for the recently developed Autonomous Command/Control interface. A fully independent, self-guided flying platform, the HWC no longer requires an operator. The ACC software is programmed to seek out and destroy any alien in range.

A variant on the medical DNA scanner ensures that only those with alien DNA are targeted, and the expanded sensor net gives the HWC a range of nearly of a mile.

The MHC-X3b is the apex of heavy weapon platform design. An amalgamation of the most advanced human technology, and the most devastating of alien weapons, a single -X3b is capable of wiping out a small town, and all its inhabitants.

Bearing eight fusion dispersal missiles, each controlled by its own onboard, sentient targeting program, and mounted on a well-armored hover chassis, the -X3B is capable of holding its own against any opponent. We have taken and studied the alien technology, learned of their weapons and their ways of war. When I look at the -X3B, I wonder if we have learned too well.

“Stupid thing is too strong.  I want to kill one alien, whole place go boom.”-Cpl. Tim Facehugger

• 3 weeks later...

Fixed the layout, latest draft:

--------

Launcher Hovertank

We have developed the penultimate mobile weapon platform -- the MHC-X2P. Our recent breakthroughs in alien craft propulsion has born new fruit...the Modular Hover Chassis. A low powered version of the alien gravity control device mated to a well-armored hull, gives us a remarkable successor to the venerable MTC. Able to move in all three axis', the MHC will at last give us power to rival to the alien's aerial support, and meet Ventriculants and Terror Disks on the their own ground.

While the majority of the hull is taken up with the power cells and alien technology, there is plenty of room for the recently developed Autonomous Command/Control interface. A fully independent, self-guided flying platform, the HWC no longer requires an operator. The ACC software is programmed to seek out and destroy any alien in range.

A variant on the medical DNA scanner ensures that only those with alien DNA are targeted, and the expanded sensor net gives the HWC a range of nearly of a mile.

The MHC-X3b is the apex of heavy weapon platform design. An amalgamation of the most advanced human technology, and the most devastating of alien weapons, a single -X3b is capable of wiping out a small town, and all its inhabitants.

Bearing eight fusion dispersal missiles, each controlled by its own onboard, sentient targeting program, and mounted on a well-armored hover chassis, the -X3B is capable of holding its own against any opponent. We have taken and studied the alien technology, learned of their weapons and their ways of war. When I look at the -X3B, I wonder if we have learned too well.

“Stupid thing is too strong. I want to kill one alien, whole place go boom.”-Cpl. Tim Facehugger

Fixed the layout, latest draft:

--------

Launcher Hovertank

We have developed the penultimate mobile weapon platform -- the MHC-X2P. Our  recent breakthroughs in alien craft propulsion has born new fruit...the Modular Hover  Chassis. A low powered version of the alien gravity control device mated to a well-armored hull, gives us a remarkable successor to the venerable MTC. Able to move in all three axes , the MHC will at last give us power to rival to the alien's aerial support, and meet Ventriculants and Terror Disks on the their own ground. it is precisely NOT on any ground, so perhaps "on their own level"?>

“Stupid thing is too strong.  I want to kill one alien, whole place go boom.”-Cpl. Tim Facehugger

Hm, isn't this the only tank that is equipped with hover capability? Maybe we should mention something in the text explaining why the launcher/GAIA-thingy tank supports anti-grav while the cannon, laser, and plasma tanks cannot use anti-grav?

Perhaps the MHC was designed specifically to complement the launcher/GAIA-thingy because the old MTC could neither support the bulky system nor its heavy ammunition, and because the MHC uses the latest generation energy source from X-Corps Research and Development, it isn't worth the time and cost to modify older weapons systems to be compatible with the MHC energy source?

yes, plasma tank is also hover.

(and from what I've read, a more-or-less modular XCAP system is one of the most asked for things in V1+, so we might as well be ready for that :) think about it: as it is now, you cannot fit a tank with a plasma gun until you've discovered anti-grav technology, for which you need UFO construction. if it was modular, you could fit your standard XCAPs with plasma turrets 2 months into the game, making them a lot more useful)

I think you're right, Az, but the funny thing is that the UFOpedia on the XCOMUFO site mentions a "Laser Hovertank" without mentioning plasma at all... Is that a typo?

Yes, Micah apparently uploaded some funny pics, if you read the damage type it reads "Plasma Beam".

I think you're right, Az, but the funny thing is that the UFOpedia on the XCOMUFO site mentions a "Laser Hovertank" without mentioning plasma at all... Is that a typo?

Yes, Micah apparently uploaded some funny pics, if you read the damage type it reads "Plasma Beam".

interestingly enough, the text in the picture also talks about "Laser Cannon" :)

http://www.xcomufo.com/x1ufopaedia/pics/big/shot0014.png

okay, first real draft of Gravity Distortion weapon system for XCAPs:

XCAP Gravity Distortion Launcher Turret

X-Net://Pegasus.net/XCAPS/XCAP GDL Turret

After understanding the principles of the Gravity Distortion Launcher, it appeared only logical to develop an XCAP-mounted version of this formidable but bulky weapon. Unfortunately, it wasn't as easy as just welding a GDD to an XCAP. The original GDL is heavily dependent on the human operator for programming of waypoints, which is something definitely not possible in an XCAP. We had to re-structure the weapon's interface to allow a sophisticated targeting routine to take over the function, not only having to identify the target but also an unobstructed airspace for the Gravity Distortion Drones to fly through. For this, it not only features advanced sensors but also interprets input from helmet-camera video links and even spoken transmissions containing environment information.

The GDL Turret is the apex of XCAP weapon design. An amalgamation of the most advanced human technology, and the most devastating of alien weapons, the GDL Turret is capable of accurately finding a target and destroying it along with its surroundings.

The ammunition capacity of the GDL Turret is limited, but still higher than anything a single soldier could carry. The cumulative destruction available with it will in most situations be enough to turn the battle. Whether for surgical strikes or area saturation bombing, an XCAP equipped with a GDL Turret is a valuable addition to any XCorps team.

okay, first real draft of Gravity Distortion weapon system for XCAPs:

Wow, that was kind of fast :) Only one thing for now: I like the waypoint idea, but, because I like it, I would love to hear more about it. Can you think of a little bit more? :)

Nah, I can't take X-Com 1, way too frustrating for me, if I manage to play it without it crashing continuously (happened way too many times), I still don't have a load option on battlescape, thing I consider most annoying.

Nah, I can't take X-Com 1, way too frustrating for me, if I manage to play it without it crashing continuously (happened way too many times), I still don't have a load option on battlescape, thing I consider most annoying.

I admit, the second is really denerving! But for the first one, use Dos-box ( http://dosbox.sourceforge.net - if you don't know it already). It works almost perfect for me.

do you have the gold edition? perhaps your version is somehow corrupted... anyway: back to topic please!

I believe the last real comment was that I need to write a bit more about the waypoint thing, right? what exactly would you like me to include there? I didn't want to explain everything again, most of it is in the GDL/GDD text.

do you have the gold edition? perhaps your version is somehow corrupted... [..]

ahh, well the GOLD Edition! Yea that explaines everything! You know the thing is... :professor: JK

I believe the last real comment was that I need to write a bit more about the waypoint thing, right? what exactly would you like me to include there? I didn't want to explain everything again, most of it is in the GDL/GDD text.

Um, no, I would like to hear more about the electronics behind the waypoint creating system. (And following this, maybe um, yes :P ) I don't know, sth like "The possible flight paths are prerendered by the FPP (Flight paths processor) using a special AI-API of the ACC to get preinterpreted uplink from the assault teams cameras and precise area mappings that were taken while the approach of the dropship." How does the software detect Aliens? Does it just use the ACC output? Why does it set the waypoints it does? And why the heck is it sometimes setting strange, needless, but nice looking loops? :P

Edited by Mad

added a few sentences about the flight path processor (@mad: nice term, btw :) )

is this what you had in mind?

After understanding the principles of the Gravity Distortion Launcher, it appeared only logical to develop an XCAP-mounted version of this formidable but bulky weapon. Unfortunately, it wasn't as easy as just welding a GDD to an XCAP. The original GDL is heavily dependent on the human operator for programming of waypoints, which is something definitely not possible in an XCAP. We had to re-structure the weapon's interface to allow a sophisticated targeting routine to take over the function, not only having to identify the target but also an unobstructed airspace for the Gravity Distortion Drones to fly through. The primary area mapping is uploaded into the flight path processor from the landing ship's external sensor data acquired during landing, and is constantly updated to adjust to area changes during battle. For this, it not only features advanced sensors but also interprets input from helmet-camera video links and even spoken transmissions containing environment information. Target designation is done by X-Corps operatives via a simple set of voice commands, while moving into firing position and setting of waypoints are done autonomously. For added security, the flight path chosen is not necessarily the shortest, but usually the most secure, sometimes resulting in seemingly unnecessary detours, to prevent injury of friendly or neutral units. X-Corps units operating with a GDL-equipped XCAP should however be aware that all safety measures may be overriden by simple voice commands.

The GDL Turret is the apex of XCAP weapon design. An amalgamation of the most advanced human technology, and the most devastating of alien weapons, the GDL Turret is capable of accurately finding a target and destroying it along with its surroundings.

The ammunition capacity of the GDL Turret is limited, but still higher than anything a single soldier could carry. The cumulative destruction available with it will in most situations be enough to turn the battle. Whether for surgical strikes or area saturation bombing, an XCAP equipped with a GDL Turret is a valuable addition to any XCorps team.

added a few sentences about the flight path processor (@mad: nice term, btw :) )

is this what you had in mind?[...]

Thx! :)

Yea, nice! =b Maybe you want to add a few little references to the adjustments made to the XCAP-AG Chassis and electronics/mechatronics? (basically to make clear the turrets are not changeable in game, but could be nice though :) )

what about this: "Because of the high bandwidth required for this data transfer of environment information and voice commands between the XCAP's sensor and voice recognition systems and the GDL turret, major changes were necessary in the chassis' circuitry layout."

is that sufficient?

what about this: "Because of the high bandwidth required for this data transfer of environment information and voice commands between the XCAP's sensor and voice recognition systems and the GDL turret, major changes were necessary in the chassis' circuitry layout."

is that sufficient?

For now, definetly. :) If you have a more detailed idea someday don't hesitate to make a rewrite :P

- It was just an idea, if you don't feel like putting sth. like this in, don't do so! I didn't want to interfear with your CT! :)

Edited by Mad

• 3 weeks later...

Completed, good work.

-----

After understanding the principles of the Gravity Distortion Launcher, it appeared only logical to develop an XCAP-mounted version of this formidable but bulky weapon. Unfortunately, it wasn't as easy as just welding a GDD to an XCAP. The original GDL is heavily dependent on the human operator for programming of waypoints, which is something definitely not possible in an XCAP. We had to re-structure the weapon's interface to allow a sophisticated targeting routine to take over the function, not only having to identify the target but also an unobstructed airspace for the Gravity Distortion Drones to fly through. The primary area mapping is uploaded into the flight path processor from the landing ship's external sensor data acquired during landing, and is constantly updated to adjust to area changes during battle. For this, it not only features advanced sensors but also interprets input from helmet-camera video links and even spoken transmissions containing environment information. Target designation is done by X-Corps operatives via a simple set of voice commands, while moving into firing position and setting of waypoints are done autonomously. For added security, the flight path chosen is not necessarily the shortest, but usually the most secure, sometimes resulting in seemingly unnecessary detours, to prevent injury of friendly or neutral units. X-Corps units operating with a GDL-equipped XCAP should however be aware that all safety measures may be overriden by simple voice commands.

“Stupid thing is too strong. I want to kill one alien, whole place go boom.”-Cpl. Tim Facehugger