XCOMUFO & Xenocide

From Nkf's Sketchbook

NKF

Yet another "MY ART"-type thread.

While attempting to clean my room, I ran across an old sketchbook of mine. In it I found a page of sketches that looks as though I was trying to turn HWPs into midget mechs (arm attachments, wheels that ransform into bipedal legs, etc). In one corner was quite a nice little 'Snow'-HWP that stood out from the messy scribbles. As it's way too small, I quickly recreated it in a slightly larger scale and, using this as an excuse to test run my new scanner, scanned it in.

It's.... eh, it's not a particularly practical HWP at all, and it has no means of steering at all. Come to think of it, it has more lights on it than weapons.

- NKF

• 1 month later...
If only I knew how to operate my new fangled scanner that's admittingly faster and more reliable than my old one... Stupid unhelpful technical manuals.

Anyhow, I sometimes get asked about the avatars I use. Yes, I draw most of them myself. Here's an enlargement of my more recent avatar (or was) for those that want to look at the pixelly details - not that there is any. The image wasn't really built for neatness - it was more of a test of my lousy digital tablet's abilities with Photoshop LE.

It's technically a work in progress as I'm not satisfied with the hand. The arm just doesn't look right and the knuckles on the hand just seem wrong - rather than it being a thumbs up, it looks like the trooper's offering a hand. Really need to work on that wacky foreshortening.

- NKF

P.S: For those curious, all the colours used in this image are actually taken from the game's battlescape palette. So I imagine you could import this into the game and it would probably look the same. Or probably not.... ;)

P. P. S: Yes, I know this is a digital image, but it's based off a paper 'n pencil sketch on a post-it note. Edited by NKF

• 1 year later...

If anyone was wondering about that red sectopod thingy I'm using as my avatar, here is a slightly better photo of it.

Yes, it's made entirely out of Legos. It's based entirely off the Exoforce Grand Titan robot thingy. If anyone doesn't know, it's a giant robot battle-mech themed lego series with a failed attempt at anime-like minifigures. Personally, I just feel as though they ended up with 80's style big-hair rocker hairdos. Could've done a lot better, but oh well. I prefer the tank driver helmets used in the Dino Attack/Dino 2010 series anyway.

Anyway, the sectopod came about after I looked at the alternate model, and after bending the Titan over backwards. All the parts in the set kept screaming "Sectopod" at me. So there you go.

It doesn't have 4 individual moving toes like a proper sectopod, as I lacked the parts. I might've made the dual plasma turret a bit too long, and there are a few other failed scaling errors, and I haven't got the four fins on top. But hey, I was trying to work the pieces in that one set.

Any thoughts? Am I crazy? Do I need to see a psychologist?

- NKF

edit: Eh, just realised the photo is a bit too small. Attached a larger photo from a different angle.

sectogo2large.jpg

sectogo3large.jpg

Edited by NKF