XCOMUFO & Xenocide

People have asked about having an IRC channel, but that idea didn't go over very well since not many people have an IRC client. But most people have AIM, AOL Instant Messenger, or a similar client. I thought we could use it to run a chat room for Xenocide. So, here's the link to join the room, if no one is in it at the moment the room will be created with you in it. [url="http://aim:GoChat?RoomName=ProjectXenocide&Exchange=5"]aim:GoChat?RoomName=ProjectXenocide[/url]

This should work for anyone with AIM or a compatible client. Edited by mindstormmaster

• 1 year later...
Guest Azrael
Yeah, but I was thinking, wouldn't it be possible to add a chatroom of our own? maybe html based? like the one on Pardus, or it could be real cool to have a java one. That would be useful.

Guest Azrael
Yeah, but I was thinking, wouldn't it be possible to add a chatroom of our own? maybe html based? like the one on Pardus, or it could be real cool to have a java one. That would be useful.

Guest Azrael

Oh, I thought it was only a question of programming/effort :)

I'd be cool if people started using this chatroom, at least.

Is a html chatroom hard or expensive to implement?

• 2 months later...

I'd like to contribute because i love the game been playing ufo defence past couple days because my real computer wont be here for a couple month so im on a crappy p3... (I have an Athlon 64 3400+ with all the goodies) but anyways I'm all about free, i can basicly get anything anyone needs.. but on a side note, i can make your chat room, I think aim is a bad step... Its good to im's yes but not really chat. I think IRC is better, Though you say not many people have irc i think more do then not. Either way Its not hard to make a java client built into your website. It can auto log people into the server for those who do not have chat, yet people who do have IRC be it Xchat for linux, MIRC, Acidmax ect ect can log in too..

I'm a marine currently in Dakar, Senegal so I don't have a lot of time, but I do know alittle about programming (basic, I used to know more but I've been busy past few years) I can model a little (I hate texturing though) and I can help with your website as it seems you need some help.

Let me know

Jasin

You could probably make a java one..

We haven't determined the "official" communication method for the project. The AIM chat room idea is well over 2 years old, and is dead for all practical purposes. IRC is also dead as far as I know.

My understanding of things is that most people use basic IMs to communicate, or the forums to do larger group discussions. So I don't know how much use a web-based IRC client would get.

I was just saying I could do it if you wanted, where I come from we have a board also (Forum based communication) but we also use irc rooms, Forums are good for topics envoling alot of people over an amount of time, but for needed discussion at the moment direct real time chat is best, no waiting for a reply waisting vaulable time to figure things out.

I mean I'm not saying switch but add it as another form. Possibly having multiple channels, As you do now, A general for discussion or people to go just to talk, but you could have your devolopers have their own rooms for people to discuss, you can also transfer files back and forth, and multiple peoples input can be given at the same time.

My 2 Cents

My understanding of things is that most people use basic IMs to communicate, or the forums to do larger group discussions.  So I don't know how much use a web-based IRC client would get.

I was just saying I could do it if you wanted, where I come from we have a board also  (Forum based communication) but we also use irc rooms, Forums are good for topics envoling alot of people over an amount of time, but for needed discussion at the moment direct real time chat is best, no waiting for a reply waisting vaulable time to figure things out.

I mean I'm not saying switch but add it as another form. Possibly having multiple channels, As you do now, A general for discussion or people to go just to talk, but you could have your devolopers have their own rooms for people to discuss, you can also transfer files back and forth, and multiple peoples input can be given at the same time.

My 2 Cents

My understanding of things is that most people use basic IMs to communicate, or the forums to do larger group discussions.  So I don't know how much use a web-based IRC client would get.

I think this would be mostly aimed at "fan-talk". At least in programming, discussions like this are just conducted using multi-user IM functionality in ICQ or MSN. Why would I want to use irc for that?

But maybe have some form of chat for just "chatting" about the project might be interesting for some people.

Rincewind

• 2 weeks later...

Well i was working around with the cgi version for those who didn't want java but i'm having a couple problems (server related) but ill just show you what i meant...

xenocide.2069.org/java

xenocide.2069.org/CGI

(I know the java will say unregisterd because i wasn't going to reg it. I am just using it as an example, I'll put one that wont say that if you actually want to use it.)

And like i said, I am no artist, I just did that to give you a feel.

If someone use it for fun talk it would be good, but we have standarized for development the use of MSN/ICQ talks as we can find each other very easily that way.

Keep it there, if it attracts people for fun talk it would be a nice addition to the site. Just remember community creation tools not always worked in the way we expect them to (we have several failed attempts for the record)

BTW did you contacted Rincewind after the Recruitment Procedure change? If you did, I didnt get the CC from the PM.

Greetings

Red Knight