XCOMUFO & Xenocide

3 New Items

Phosphorus Grenade - after it explodes, it produces flames!

RDC (Remotely Detonated Charge) - it has two options: Prime, Throw and Detonate. After you use Detonate, all primed RDC's explode!

Grenade Launcher - Launch grenades farther, more accurately, quicker...

I like the Remote Detonator one the most. They're not as troublesome to deploy as proximity mines, and they only go off when you want them to (has to be activated by a remote unit with a soldier). This might be an unbalanced item to use in the typical squad missions, but this sounds very ideal if they ever flesh out the Men in Black unit type (who would be better for infiltration missions in my view anyway).

You could just add in sabotage as one other aspect to this unit's abilities during a mission (discouraging pursuit, or to take out key systems prior to a proper base invasion, or just generally slow down the alien's efforts to influence governments/resupply themselves for awhile).

Besides, with soldiers wielding weapons like Blaster Launchers later in the game, they won't be concerned with pin point accuracy, they'll be looking to smoke any threat quickly. This remote charge concept sounds more suited to precision work in fights where you don't expect to hang around long enough to kill everyone, but have objective specific stuff to target before dustoff.

edit: Just a side idea here with regard to deployment. Regardless of the number of charges that might be looked at for this, I think there should be a small monitor to view not unlike the motion tracker screen that displays the charge numbers. When your ready to blow them up, you can choose to do a simultaneous detonation, or if for any reason you want to detonate some individually (or out of sequence) you can do that too.

Another thing, maybe too just like how looking at the overhead map of the battlescape shows you those little crosshairs for corpses or items as little +s, the charges could use that or something similar, maybe with little numbers by them to help you decide which ones to detonate first, or to help you in determining if you set them in the desired places.

Edited by Snakeman

Well, the interface the way I was thinking of it isn't that complicated at all really. When the screen comes up, the numbers highlighted reflect the number of charges you had your soldier set manually, so you only have to click a number to detonate that separate charge. To make it less complicated, if the charges are to be set off simultaneously, all you need is one button that says "detonate all" or some such. But that's how I was picturing it, just a screen for the remote when clicked it says "Detonate 1, 2, 3, or all of the above.".

The other stuff is just an extension or addition rather, of how you see items presented on the overhead map of the landscape. The crosses would just denote where the charges were just like any other item had been before.

Everything else is a question of balance and in what scenarios would make this form of explosive useful, challenging and hopefully fun.

What about directional explosvies(alien variety included)? That way you could have a 'demolitions' controller who plants many directional explosives in the direction of the ufo along the path to the skyranger. That way troops could safely egress and have an explosive hit in the direction of the alien. Would not kill them, but would keep them from fallowing and blind them a litt.

Well, the interface the way I was thinking of it isn't that complicated at all really.  When the screen comes up, the numbers highlighted reflect the number of charges you had your soldier set manually, so you only have to click a number to detonate that separate charge. To make it less complicated, if the charges are to be set off simultaneously, all you need is one button that says "detonate all" or some such.  But that's how I was picturing it, just a screen for the remote when clicked it says "Detonate 1, 2, 3, or all of the above.".

Whia! That's better than my interface...

What about directional explosvies(alien variety included)?  That way you could have a 'demolitions' controller who plants many directional explosives in the direction of the ufo along the path to the skyranger.  That way troops could safely egress and have an explosive hit in the direction of the alien.  Would not kill them, but would keep them from fallowing and blind them a litt.

hey guys you have great ideas... =b