3 replies to this topic

#1 bijection

bijection

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 03:33 AM

I've been checking around the hack utils out there, but I haven't found anything for changing the names of the ships. Yeah, it's a tiny thing, but tiny things like being able to rename your soldiers and giving your bases names are fun.

#2 r0dent

r0dent

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 05:19 PM

I've been checking around the hack utils out there, but I haven't found anything for changing the names of the ships.  Yeah, it's a tiny thing, but tiny things like being able to rename your soldiers and giving your bases names are fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that's a good idea, I been wanting to change my Skyranger-1 to "USS Enterprise" hehe

Maybe hex editor or something? But that would be a chore....

#3 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:53 AM

you can't rename them because they're not stored anywhere. ships don't have names, they just have some number to identify them and then the game shows it as "ShipType-Number" (eg. SKYRANGER-4).
the game just stores each ship's number (an ID of sorts) and the last used ID for each ship type so even if you sell SKYRANGER-1 a new one would be SKYRANGER-5 or SKYRANGER-6 or whatever.

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#4 teukros

teukros

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:26 PM

Well so much for my idea of renaming my Avengers at Vostok to "Pengo" and "Snobee".
runs with primed grenades