Sound Artists Post Here

Guest autophillia

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Phileosophos
Hi there. I corresponded with Micah via email, and he suggested I post here to become a recruit. I can wear a lot of hats, but I'm most interested in contributing music to this project.

Thanks for signing up. Check one of the emails I sent you, the one regarding our recent reorganization, for where you should get started. Also read the PM I send you. Let us know if you have any questions!

Guest Phileosophos
Thanks for signing up. Check one of the emails I sent you, the one regarding our recent reorganization, for where you should get started. Also read the PM I send you. Let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks, I got it today. I posted something in another forum as well. Haven't checked if anyone replied yet, though.

OK, contacted Raven about this but I guess it's time to post here.

I make music for classic doom mods using reason. I know, love and always use ogg.

samples of my work:

http://www.julianhope.com/xxrtc/exactamente.ogg

(unfinished:) http://caor.ensmp.fr/~aubourg/daboss.ogg

Hi Guys, i only found out about this cool project late last night...(or was it early this morning? LOL :)

I emailed Micah, who said to say hi on this board - so Hi guys :)

I still have to read up on a WHOLE lot of stuff, and am dling the alpha as i type, but would be very happy to help out in anyway i can. I've made a few tunes here and there for personal stuff, and love making loops and working with sound effects.

might even have a short 40 second mini tune which could possibly be used in a sub-intro (or maybe before the starting intro apears or before a main game starts etc? (you know, sort of when theres like a background of space and dark image, and a bit of text cuts in, and then quickly fades out, and then 5 seconds later another one appears, and fades out etc with stars in the backgound, or shots of key places in the game etc :)

eg something like.

dark picture, fades into view.

"there was a time..." (fades out)

new picture

"when everything seemed fine"... (fade out)

next picture

"we explored the oceans"...

etc

"we sent probes to mars"....

etc..

"we thought we were alone".... fade out

fade to black space...

"But We Were NOT Alone......."..

Da-daa-daaaaaaa!! and then the funky intro movies start etc etc, and the main game etc etc :)

oh well, just an idea i suppose :) (i'll try and convert my music to wav format from my mp3 player as a socket busted LOL :)

please feel free to pm me etc..

btw just another thought, i might be wrong, but if you use uncompresses music in the game, (which i havent played yet LOL - just finished dling), the game shoudl play much smoother - eg, an mp3, or compresses ogg file etc would probably put more strain on a system's cpu then a wav.

- a lot of us still use basic 3d cards such as 3dfx/voodoo, and lower end pcs, eg p2 333s witn win98 LOL :) - any reduction on CPU load is apways appreciated, and will also help make the game to become more available to us folks (including me) to be able to play the game etc. :)

thanks for reading so far, and i hope i havent waffled on too much :)

regards,

paulus (also paulus from www.quickpar.org)

Edited by paulus

guess what... i tried to run the game, and it crashed on me LOL :)

but i tried on my dads computer and managed to get the basic black globe geoscape, with no text on any buttons, but i clicked here and there and blue lights appeared, and managed to get the music, graphics options screens along with music, and the ufopedia + the credits screen at a smooth scrolling 35 fps :)

i wasnt able to change or see any text etc on how to actually change the gfx settings, so i guess im sort of doomed to not being able to play/test until i get a new gfx pci card :(

(there must be a way to "basic code" a game to work with basic, non-possibly-conflicting screens etc?

eg, like making basic html page so that it will work with all browser versions... must be a way LOL, or am i totally mistaken :)

ahh, hi red knight :)

that's great news - i didnt know... i'll have to dl the latest version - :)

- btw can i ask how i can test the latest version? the download page on teh main website only seems to show the alpha.

thanks.

(btw i didnt get an email for a reply to this thread) - will check out the profile :)

Edited by paulus

• 1 month later...

I'm a long time fan of X-Com and would love to help out in the sound area (I'm also apping to CT) particularly environmental sounds, such as creatures / aliens and weapon fire.

Please let me know if you still need recruits here also :)

StarKillar

Edited by StarKillar

well i'm not sure what music has been chosen or done.

i have an idea for one of the interception sound tracks. it's all original, but still captures the feel of the first one in my personal opinion. only problem is it's in a min. long mp3 format, and i don't have the tools to cut it perfect for looping.

you can listen to it at

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/wallpaper/Emclip.mp3

if someone likes it, i think it's pretty clear where you should cut the parts to get the loops, but i just don't have the software capabilities... if someone wants to do that... i offer the sound clip to the project... you can use it or not. or a small bit... or an adaption of it.. whatever...

i loved x-com and want to see this thing come together ASAP... couldn't believe there was such a cult underground following for the original x-com.......

anyway... yeah....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Man. What an awesome project.

When I came acorss this page I started to get giddy.

Looks like you already have a lot sound artists but this project is too sweet to pass up.

If you need music, I have a huge library (all original of course) that is steadily getting bigger. I done a little sfx work, but I'm eager to start doing more (been looking for a project to get going on it)

I've worked in a world-reknowned recording studio so I'm familiar with all the big audio software and I have access to most of them as well as some of the best recording gear in the world.

I also play guitar, bass, and keyboard.

Sign me up and I'll get started right away.

Hi Atomosz,

Sound effects is one of those areas that surprisingly nobody is working in, we have lots of music, but without decent sound effects there is no game at all. So I am sure that you can do a GREAT contribution in that area.

Greetings

Red Knight

Guest Guest_paulus_*
Hi Atomosz,

Sound effects is one of those areas that surprisingly nobody is working in, we have lots of music, but without decent sound effects there is no game at all. So I am sure that you can do a GREAT contribution in that area.

Greetings

Red Knight

Welcome AtomosZ :)

To all artists, this is not related to Xenocide in anyway but maybe someone whats to give a hand...

Whole story: I am teaching a young friend of mine (that I would hopefully abduct to work on Xenocide when he is ready - but not yet I need him to work in other higher level languages C# to be exact...)

So well after talking with a special teacher (a friend of my mother) I had decided that his second project would be a computer assistant to help special teachers to recover autists kids. The app will be open source (free) as Xenocide is, and even if I will be overseeing the whole process I wont be coding anything ;). So if any sound artists wants to help just drop a PM or contact me directly... The task is a one shot issue ( basicly specify a sequence of sound filters to accomplish the desired sound effect so he can code it and accomplish it in realtime). For more details just contact me so we dont add noise in Xenocide forums...

Your help would be really appreciated cause I think that with this app we can make a difference.

Greetings

Red Knight

Edited by red knight

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone. I'm looking to join the Xenocide team as a sound designer (hence my posting here.) I work at a post production studio in Manhattan as a sound designer and have access to it during off hours. I also have a pretty decent home studio. I also have experience in video editing for what it's worth. Seems like you have enough musicians but if need be I can whip something up. If you need anymore info, just let me know.

Following usual procedure already (you have a PM in your Box)... Contact Raven Squad, as Micah hadnt published the Viper Movie yet, you can add sound effects to it. The issue is in the Issue Tracker (bugs.projectxenocide.com), get an account there and post in the Viper Movie issue if you want to tackle that one.

Greetings

Red Knight

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, we seem to have an abundance of sound guys already, but hey, the more the merrier, right? Anyways, I just finished doing some music for an arcade game, and I absolutly love X-com, so I would love to help out. I can make some music for the battlescape, especially for night missions :devillaugh: and anything else. I also have a decent library of sfx, so I could help you there. Go X-com! :master:

Hello!

I haven't managed to get anything done yet, because my main rig went POP.

I will be out of action untill I can rebuild which won't be until the end of the month.

I'll be back!

:Leek:

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm a french musician and a xcom fan, and i think your project is exciting.

I was wondering if you need any help with music and sfx. I've worked on several

commercial video games before and on professional short movies too (i can send you some of the things i've done) .

I study classical music and musicology, i could write orchestral pieces for the game.

I also very interested in voice effects (soldiers and aliens, etc).

So if you are interested, please let me know :

[email protected]

And congratulations for the work you've done so far.

Ziniparandi, all help at the sound department is welcome! At the moment we can certainly use some people for creating and managing SFX. Feel free to start working on some SFX. You can find everything you need in the wiki (http://docs.projectxenocide.com).

greetings,

ATeX

Hello, I'm a french musician and a xcom fan, and i think your project is exciting.

I was wondering if you need any help with music and sfx. I've worked on several

commercial video games before and on professional short movies too (i can send you some of the things i've done) .

I study classical music and musicology, i could write orchestral pieces for the game.

I also very interested in voice effects (soldiers and aliens, etc).

So if you are interested, please let me know :

[email protected]

And congratulations for the work you've done so far.

• 1 month later...

If creepy and atmospheric music is what you want I can make it. I can do some similiar style that the original X-Com had, just with some more variations. I thought the music X-Com had matched the genre, but it still was a bit repetative.

Email me at: [email protected]

• 3 months later...

I think this is an awesome project. I wouldn't mind contributing with SFX or music if I could. I am an amateur but have some experience in sound production for game-type projects, and I don't mind criticism at all =)

Anyway, I will be playing like mad when the project is done. Love the XCOM games, love ambient electronica, so how could I refuse?

Sign me up! Oh, and congrats on your progress.

Thanks!

:D I like echo effects A LOT... way too much, really. Latency is something I guess we'll have to live with...

Well, here's one (no real title for it yet):

http://www.ihoc.se/echo500ms.mp3

Anyway, cheers and g'night.

Welcome to the Xenocide Forums Echo500ms!

I hope that 500ms isn't your soundcard's latency... Joking joking! :P :D

Do you have something in your portofolio, ex. a song which we can listen to?

Don't forget to visit the wiki!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys whats up.

I am a music composer since forever and would like to help the xenocide sound department.

So far I have made mostly Techno Songs, with a few ambient ones.

Here is a track that would be really good for Xcom, it is called "Awakening Intro" and it is the intro track from one of my CD's

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=1779512&q=hi

if the link doesnt work go to my Soundclick website and listen to it.

The song is called "Awakening Intro"

http://www.soundclick.com/djboycott

Thank you,

Dj Boycott

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Please register an account at this site if you're interested in joining.

Welcome :)

And, as posted above:

send me a PM or email with some examples of your work. If you have an online portfolio, that would even be better. Looking forward to hear from you.

cheers,

Thomas