XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Crouching Soldier, Hidden Muton

Battlesquid

Hi

I keep forgetting to move my mutons, because they are so well camouflaged! Look at this picture here for example, and try to find all units.

http://student.iu.hio.no/~s128433/Crouching_Soldier_Hidden_Muton.png

Solution: The second muton is hiding in the cactus forest.

http://student.iu.hio.no/~s128433/Crouching_Soldier_Hidden_Muton_Solution.png

- jallah

Edited by Battlesquid

pics doestn work....

that's strange, as they appear here. I've uploaded them to my student webspace.

However if you cant see them, you can try these links

Crouching Soldier, Hidden Muton

Crouching Soldier, Hidden Muton Solution

I've tested them so if you cant see them its because of your browser settings i guess.

doesnt work... and my browser is all right...

try www.imageshack.us

bah

then how come they appear in my browser? anyone else that can see them? well, the links are ok, i've checked them-so if you can't see them even when clicking the links i provided then just download the pics and view them with any picture viewer that can take PNG pictures....

pics work fine for me.

nice technique to hide your mutons :)

hehe thanks. wasn't my intention to hide him, but i guess it could work in that way, if it weren't for that you can click the red square when your soldier sees an enemy unit...

im not sure, but im thinking: why is that feature still here? isn't that more of a single player kind of feature? lower right corner of pic below.

http://student.iu.hio.no/~s128433/Center_On_Enemy_Spotted.png

if we disabled that feature, using camouflage would actually get an effect! ^^

and thus increasing the value of using mutons!

im thinking, when all units are implemented, im not sure if i will ever use mutons - they have no special ability, and cannot wear armor. if it would be harder to see, its value in certain terrains would be increased very much!

and for you Gurluas2000, i've attached the pics to this post - (figure it out plz).. and no i will not use some server.... i cant be arsed. sorry.

post-418-1112987524_thumb.png

post-418-1112987534_thumb.png

post-418-1112987699_thumb.png

Edited by Battlesquid

Uh huh. And mutons stick out like sore thumbs on most other levels. :P

Well yes they do stick out on many levels, but then again no other units can dissapear like that (allthough only in certain terrain). Take the sectoids for example. They might be overall harder to spot, but there aren't any situations I can think of that they would disappear like the mutons. Floaters are purple and so they will stick out anywhere you put them. Etc, etc. So lets say the mutons had to be discovered by the player himself (alltohough appearing like usual, depending on the soldiers views). Then the mutons would be very useful on certain maps... That's all I'm saying :hmmm: It would be cool, methinks.

Edited by Battlesquid

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure there's camo potential for lots of units. Sectoids and no-armor or power/flying armor humans would do well in X-Com bases, Mutons do well in all forms of greenery, standard armor humans would be ok in alien ships and alien bases, and so on and so forth, yadda yadda yadda. There's a lot of units that have very similar colors to various scenery, though I can't say all of them would be as well camoflaged as that there muton.

• 1 month later...
Just to let you know Battlesquid, there is no tactic whatsoever for this. You can simply use the TAB button to scroll to another soldier and even if your opponent has mutons, the blue arrow pointing to him gives him away (so will the minimap). But without the "next soldier buttons" and with a short time limit, it would cameflouge them to your eye because you are in such a hurry. Still, people that are new to this game can have that problem you are talking about because they are not used to the minimap, or they don't know about the scroll buttons.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, first time poster etc etc.

I don't think Mutons blend in that well in the Desert tileset (Jungle on the other hand is a different story - I didn't notice one of my Muton's for two turns), but Sectoids are fun to hide behind walls, especially if they're crouching. Here's an example taken from a replay of me and a clanmate (from another game) of mine:

http://deathz0r.unidoom.org/junk/ufo2000/snapshot_10.png

You're probably thinking "oh yeah, nothing really going on here", but then suddenly...

http://deathz0r.unidoom.org/junk/ufo2000/snapshot_11.png

Uh oh!

Of course, if you don't notice a blue arrow pointing to nothing or a blue dot in the minimap, you must be certainly blind. =p

There is no arrow, nor a blue dot on the minimap, excluding the scenery.

And I've looked several, times in close detail. :P

Edited by Exo2000

There is no arrow, nor a blue dot on the minimap, excluding the scenery.

And I've looked several, times in close detail. :P

Well, I did mean in-game, but it's definitely not in those screenshots. :P Edited by deathz0r

• 1 month later...