XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Buy/sell Screen

Guest Jim69

You are right, they didn't list the country funding, however there was a seperate screen that did. These two screens should be one and the same IMO, so I merged them. This is what I am talking about.

post-42-1063821856_thumb.jpg

The design looks good to me. The only (minor) tweaks I can suggest are to remove the scroll bar/button on the country list, and bring those top buttons closer in so they don't overlap the background lines. What do you think about making the country list narrower, so the detailed text area has more room? Like try having the divider right down the middle, that shouldn't cramp the cash amounts.

And a beveled look would go great here! (sorry, just kidding! :blink: )

This is coming along very well. Are the various background elements recycled from another screen? If so, you'd want to make sure that when the screen is sliced into smaller chunks for the game to use that those slices are the same for each screen, so you don't have duplicate chunks between screens. RK and/or Mamutas would have more input on that, I'm just repeating what I've heard said before.

AFAIK it is working from a JPEG image ( translated into a .png by someone I'd imagine ) without buttons and then they are added over the top, stuff like the slider buttons.

The thing about this country list is that I think there are more than I have written, when I get a moment I will update that whole list to what was in UFO and, assuming they fit into the one screen I will remove the slider bar totally.

I very much like the look of this screen, especially the way it's all summarised so concisely at the top. The only thing I'm not sure about is the creative text - Personally, I think a more factual analysis (almost giving the figures in a table, without much personal opinion expressed) would be more in-keeping with the game's theme. This sort of thing works for Champ Man, but I'm not sure I'd want to see it in xcom :)

Mike

This is only an example of where the text would go, you are right that it should be a lot more professional, less personal opinions. It can work just needs a little research into the wording and structure to be used.

Everything in CM can be translated into any game :LOL:

I mentioned the picture slices Jim because it was required for teh X-Net screen, which is going into the next alpha release. It's a matter of storing a smaller image chunck and tiling it whenever possible, to save space and make screens load faster I guess. But RK required it of the X-Net, just giving you a heads up to consider this. Either j'ordos or Vaaish sent RK the bits for the X-Net, they might describe what was needed better, and of course RK could as well.

Everything is saved in a PSD so that isn't a problem, the things that are custom are the grid lines, the UN logo, the stat boxes ( prehaps we need some generic used ones that we can use in different places ). The BG is the only thing that could be reused, but I doubt it could be tiled as it would look very strange. Here's a question for RK, is it possible in the final to compress all the PNG images into one file like was used in Half Life? Seems a good way of saving space.

The images must be used as seperate png images (look in the alpha under the directory /images and you'll see how they're broken down).

However as has been said time and again the images must fit within either 128x128, 256x256 or a combination of them. Seeing as there are only a few people that know how to cut the images up, so once you consider the design final send me the psd to deimos at projectxenocide dot com

Just make sure its under 4mb. For most of the screens it won't be a problem as you'll only need the layers that are unique to the panel.

Edited by Deimos

Thanx Micah, that's what I wanted to know. I thought this was the comman practice in games nowadays and just wanted to know that we are doing the same thing.

To Deimos: Exactly what do you want? You see I thought that when it is finished I post a PNG of the screen minus all things that will be overlays, like text, scroll buttons, buttons etc. Am I wrong here? If I am told what is wanted I can do whatever is required but constantly sending the PSD to you is just another level of red tape, I am not incapable of doing whatever it is that is wanted if I am told.

The reason I say this is because what you have just told me is flying in the face of what I have seen posted already. The options screen isn't to that scale AFAIK, is the engine going to crop the blank areas in the file when the file is a multiple of 32?

Jim,

Deimos is right. All concepts should be kept in PSD (or whatever you artists use) until the day of implementation come. Then, it will be totally up to coder to decide what image to put and what to tile (assuming, that the final screen will look very close to the concept). This is when cutting in PNG will come as well as deciding what areas are going to be transparent and what are not. You do not worry about it. Submit your concept, so we can store it in the repository and we will take care of it in the future.

regards.

What, the PSD? I can do, it's a little big for the forums to upload tho ( which was at least part of the reason for my above post ) so I thought it would be a lot easier if everyone was told what was required and post them in seperate PNG files. I'll put it in the FTP site for now and edit this post with a link.

The reason for storing it as a .psd and sending it to me is so that as mamutas says when it comes to cutting it up for inclusion into the game its in a flexible format to do just that. When the pic is considered finished send it to me as well as putting it on the repository. There is the small fact as I said beforethat only two people know the process of correctly slicing the images up for inclusion into the game and as it takes such a long time to explain it (as its a complicated thing to explain in text) I won't be posting the process on the forums.

Its not red tape and its not to draw out the process. Its so that I have to hand in local storage all the work in case of server failiure, net problems (which I've been having a lot of recently) and so that I can back it all up onto cd for safety's sake so we have a complete copy of all the art assets in more than one place.

I find it funny that you're the only one that has a problem with this, everybody else has had no problem with it.

Edited by Deimos

There's a lot I could reply to both of those posts but I'm not interested in a dragged out argument. It's on the FTP site now.

Edit: Or at least it would be if the thing would let me log in with the account name and password I was given. Has it changed since July 25th?

Edited by Jim69

I realise that reading all the forums is a big job (you should have seen it before we organised it, that's when I read through all of it so finding stuff is a breeze now) but I guess I should have made my point a little clearer in that its not too much to ask for say the art team to read up on their department and bookmark for themselves. That way it saves us going round and round in circles and we can get on with our respective jobs.

No hard feelings intended in anyway though. I just want to get this settled so we can get back to work.

Does it really matter? Cant we just get on with the project? Fux0r, your a good artist, so, could you please do up a concept of the intercept screen, just so we have some choice when the coders have coded it in.

Also, what is the NE in my group (and fux0r's too it seems) mean?

It used to be a 2 for me. :huh:

You have the NE too jim! What is going on??!?!

Anyway, in asking fux to do an intercept screen, in addition to the one that you were doing (you were doing one right? Or was I misinformed again?) I was trying to get some choices for the various screens throughout the game. Like what the seniors want for the concept art submissions.

• 1 year later...

Afternoon all,

Any chance of a final design for the buy/sell screen? (sorry if its one of the earlier ones, but which one?)

I've started implementation now, and would prefer to do most of my work on a finalised design rather than a temporary UI.

Ta

Ben

Did you have to bump a topic this old? Why not just make a new one?  :huh?:

Not really. Habit :(

Starting new topics tends to increase clutter - bumping an old one should keep all the discussion in one place. (doesn't always though)

I'm happy to start a new one (this time and/or in future) if thats the accepted procedure here

Ta

Ben

Afternoon all,

Any chance of a final design for the buy/sell screen? (sorry if its one of the earlier ones, but which one?)

I've started implementation now, and would prefer to do most of my work on a finalised design rather than a temporary UI.

Ta

Ben

um... let me put that on my to do list. I 've got a few more pressing concerns before I can start this.