XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Microsoft Xna

dteviot

Progress:

• renamed classes BaseCapacities, BaseCapacityInfo and BaseStatistics to Outpost
  • removed ScreenManager parameter from Screen's ctor
  • Stubbed in Purchasing screen. Only allows you to purchase aircraft, and puts them directly into base, rather than into a shipping crate and transfers them to base.

xeno.xna.2007_06_26.JPG

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Concerning the stats shown for UFO's, see here. If you could point me in the direction where to find basic.xsd and the two item files, I'll be happy to update item.xml to reflect the craft weapons. The Skyranger could carry 3 tanks, the Avenger could carry 4 and the Lightning was just for troops. Don't remember what X-COM craft the Condor is based off of, but it should follow those numbers. That is, unless the model doesn't allow it. :wink1:

- Zombie

Some other things I think we need to do to item.xml, for the progress release

• UFOs
    • Add score element, giving points for shooting down & destroying.
    • Add a salvage element, gives the items gained from capturing UFO. (Xenium, components, etc.)

[*]Weapons. Add an optional MagazineSize attribute. Allows weapon to hold a different number of shots from the magazine. Allows for craft weapons carrying multiple missiles, but buying missiles in singles. Also Blaster Bombs/Rockets for launcher as opposed to X-Caps.

Comments anyone?

Concerning the stats shown for UFO's, see here. If you could point me in the direction where to find basic.xsd and the two item files, I'll be happy to update item.xml to reflect the craft weapons. The Skyranger could carry 3 tanks, the Avenger could carry 4 and the Lightning was just for troops. Don't remember what X-COM craft the Condor is based off of, but it should follow those numbers. That is, unless the model doesn't allow it. :wink1:

- Zombie

• UFOs
    • Add a salvage element, gives the items gained from capturing UFO. (Xenium, components, etc.)

[*]Weapons. Add an optional MagazineSize attribute. Allows weapon to hold a different number of shots from the magazine. Allows for craft weapons carrying multiple missiles, but buying missiles in singles. Also Blaster Bombs/Rockets for launcher as opposed to X-Caps.

Comments anyone?

Yeah that makes sense.

something like this I guess:

And when we shoot one down we could perform some formulas with random numbers to decide what survives the crash. Maybe add an additional attribute to these components to indicate how liekly it is to be destroyed in a crash? Or might as well just assign a hit point value.

Yeah that makes sense.

And when we shoot one down we could perform some formulas with random numbers to decide what survives the crash. Maybe add an additional attribute to these components to indicate how liekly it is to be destroyed in a crash? Or might as well just assign a hit point value.

Well, I was thinking more like this:

So I can use the same code to parse the elements as will be used for the elements.

As regards rules for crash survival, do I detect another question for Zombie?

Yeah that makes sense.

Well, I was thinking more like this:

So I can use the same code to parse the elements as will be used for the elements.

As regards rules for crash survival, do I detect another question for Zombie?

Oh right, good thinking. I didn't see that

Progress:

• merged in darkside's Geobitmap code. So engine now knows about location of land/water, countries, and regions on earth. So you can no longer build bases on water.
  • Closing PurchasesScreen now returns to Bases Screen, not Geoscape

Other notes:

• To get this build to work, after building the executable, you need to
    • copy countries.png and regions.png from Xenocide/Content/Textures to Xenocide/bin/x86/Debug/Content/Textures
    • copy planets.xml and planets.xsd from Xenocide/Content/Schema to Xenocide/bin/x86/Debug/Content/Schema
    • you no longer need to copy countries.xml .xsd.

Edited by dteviot
a ToDo was done

• UFOs

Comments anyone?

I'll agree with the Score elements completely. As for the salvage elements, I'm not too sure. See, salvaging is dynamic, not static. Any quantities you put in here would be superceded by things that happened during a mission. Shooting down a craft also plays a role in what is recovered. Let me put it this way, why don't we just do it like the original game does? Assign elements in a UFO to be an item. If the item gets destroyed, that's one less thing that is recovered. At the end of the mission, do a tally to see how much of each recoverable item exists and use that for the salvage recovery and points. As it stands now, Xenium is already an element in item.xml, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to add the other UFO items. :wink1:

--------------------

Speaking of item.xml, here's an update on my progress. I checked and revised the UFO craft weapon stats and updated the X-COM craft weapon accuracy stats due to some recent testing on my part. Found an error in one of the entries where the element wasn't closed properly. Fixed that too. I also screwed around with the spacing a bit and condensed some of the comments. Will upload it here when finished. :)

- Zombie

I'll agree with the Score elements completely. As for the salvage elements, I'm not too sure. See, salvaging is dynamic, not static. Any quantities you put in here would be superceded by things that happened during a mission. Shooting down a craft also plays a role in what is recovered. Let me put it this way, why don't we just do it like the original game does? Assign elements in a UFO to be an item. If the item gets destroyed, that's one less thing that is recovered. At the end of the mission, do a tally to see how much of each recoverable item exists and use that for the salvage recovery and points. As it stands now, Xenium is already an element in item.xml, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to add the other UFO items. :wink1:

I interpreted that as exactly what it would be used for. Maybe calling it "salvage" is a bit misleading. The way I read it was that the salvage list contains all the items a UFO is made of and when it crashes we use that as a base list of items that might show up in the battlescape, with some randomly destroyed based on whatever factors.

• UFOs

Comments anyone?

Yes, when we get the Battlescape going that should be how it works.

However, that's a long way off.

And for getting the Geoscape working, the player is going to need some way to get their hands on alien tech after shooting down a UFO. (So that they can research and build the more powerful aircraft.) The easiest way I can see to do this is put a salvage entry with each UFO. But I'm open to any other ideas.

--------------------

Speaking of item.xml, here's an update on my progress. I checked and revised the UFO craft weapon stats and updated the X-COM craft weapon accuracy stats due to some recent testing on my part. Found an error in one of the entries where the element wasn't closed properly. Fixed that too. I also screwed around with the spacing a bit and condensed some of the comments. Will upload it here when finished. :)

- Zombie

Thank you.

Progress report:

• Renamed HumanBase class to Outpost
  • Can now purchase all purchaseable items.
  • Can now sell items
  • Have button on start screen to launch unit tests.
  • Added Darkhomb's updated countries.png and regions.png

Other notes:

• Inventory system doesn't yet handle people or live aliens. That said, I think if I created engineer and scientist elements in item.xml, I think I'd get them for almost no extra work.

xeno.xna.2007_07_01.JPG

Progress report:

• Can now select which craft you want to intercept the UFO.
  • Can now select which craft to send on a patrol mission.

Other notes:

• There's a bit of a problem with the current logic to determine if an area is land or water. Currently, the code (effectively) just checks if the region is Pacific, Atlantic or Indian Ocean, and if is, it's all water.
    The problem with this is, islands within those regions are treated as water.
    Which means that, for example, it's impossible to build an X-Corp base in New Zealand. Which is totally unacceptable.
    What we need to do the job properly is a terrain bitmap. We can start off with just two colors, one for land, other for water, and add others later for other terain types.
    Can I get a volunteer to make a terrain bitmap, similar to countries.png and regions.png?

xeno.xna.2007_07_08.JPG

I can work on this tomorrow, though if the water check is the problem, wouldn't it be easier to just change all the colors of water in countries to just one color so you check if it is or is not water?

[*] There's a bit of a problem with the current logic to determine if an area is land or water. Currently, the code (effectively) just checks if the region is Pacific, Atlantic or Indian Ocean, and if is, it's all water.

Which means that, for example, it's impossible to build an X-Corp base in New Zealand. Which is totally unacceptable.

What we need to do the job properly is a terrain bitmap. We can start off with just two colors, one for land, other for water, and add others later for other terain types.

Can I get a volunteer to make a terrain bitmap, similar to countries.png and regions.png?

Yeah, there is a hack in the logic to determine if a position is over water or not, and that is by checking the pixel's blue value. If the blue value is FF, then it is water. I originally intended to add an optional attribute to the element in planets.xml to signify that region is water but I wasn't convinced it would make much sense since the best would be just having water being determined by a separate terrain bitmap like you said.

But even with that current logic I am able to build a base on New Zealand because it is a part of the region Australasia.

But once we get a terrain bitmap which specifies the water areas, do we want to change the regions.png so the region Australasia for example, could encompass land and water area? Instead of the regions currently being strictly either land or ocean?

[*] There's a bit of a problem with the current logic to determine if an area is land or water. Currently, the code (effectively) just checks if the region is Pacific, Atlantic or Indian Ocean, and if is, it's all water.

Yeah, there is a hack in the logic to determine if a position is over water or not, and that is by checking the pixel's blue value. If the blue value is FF, then it is water. I originally intended to add an optional attribute to the element in planets.xml to signify that region is water but I wasn't convinced it would make much sense since the best would be just having water being determined by a separate terrain bitmap like you said.

But even with that current logic I am able to build a base on New Zealand because it is a part of the region Australasia.

Hmmm. I must have broken something, because it's not working for me. Will investigate.

But once we get a terrain bitmap which specifies the water areas, do we want to change the regions.png so the region Australasia for example, could encompass land and water area? Instead of the regions currently being strictly either land or ocean?

I'd say yes. For starters, there's the north pole, part of which is in the North Atlantic region.

Second point, if there's no land in a region, then there should be no UFO activity there, and if there's no UFO activity, why do we bother about it? Hmmm. Question for Zombie. In X-Com, do we see alien activity in the Pacific, North and South Atlantic or Indian oceans?

actually, can't we just use countries.png for the water?, all water is black everything else is land...

edit: never the less I made a land/water terrain.png

yes but we need a terrain one either way and it's probably just more logical to have water defined in the one defining terrains instead of the one defining countries....

Added terrain bitmap to Geography, so now distinguish between water and land.

So, you now need to

• copy planets.xml and planets.xsd from Xenocide/Content/Schema to Xenocide/bin/x86/Debug/Content/Schema
  • copy terrain.png, countries.png and regions.png from Xenocide/Content/Textures to Xenocide/bin/x86/Debug/Content/Textures

However, there's still a problem with distinguishing land from water. Looks like the land info is displaced slightly west of the globe texture.

That is, the engine will let you build a base just off the west cost of land, but won't let you build on the edge of the east cost.

It might be that the textures are slightly displaced.

Alternately, it may be a truncation error when the longitude is converted into the X value in the bitmap.

I'm not going to look into it at the moment, but someone else might like to.

Upon some inspection it looks like the newer regions.png map is not aligned quite well with the globe texture. There seems to be an offset of several pixels to the left, which is why if you zoom in close and pick an obvious land pixel on the eastern edge of a continent it reports it as water. If you swap in my older regions.png file it will line up perfectly (but unfortunately my old map didn't have such a precision on the edges of the continents). But it should be rather easy to modify the new file so the continents are moved slightly to the right...

Give me a little time on the 4 since i want to be as precise as can be. I trust you don't need these right away as it works but it is off by a little.

No hurry, I've still got to do the following before we can do a progress release. This looks like 5 weeks work.

• Repair, Rearm craft in base
  • Aircraft should actually fight UFOs. Even if it's just a simple D&D style, aircraft fires, and rolls to hit, then if hit, rolls for damage. Then it's UFOs turn. Repeat until one is dead/crashes/user aborts.
  • Radar visibility.
  • Probably need a cheat mode to make UFOs always drawn on Geoscape, for testing of Radar visibility.
  • Way of setting reward for X-Corp/Aliens when an alien mission is foiled/succeeds.
  • Track Alien/X-Corp score and display to player (so knows where Alien activity is)
  • Alien AI needs to launch missions in a controlled fashion. That is, each month, the Alien AI will choose a number of missions and start them. Note that according to MISSION.DAT, a mission can involve multiple UFOs, launched over a period of several weeks.
  • As a mission will target a region, we need a mechanism for converting a region to a position on the globe.

- Zombie

• UFOs

Comments anyone?

So I don't forget:

Scores

Salvage

Additional note.

Each UFO adds one to the appropriate territory it is over on each 30 minute update period, so a score of 100 would indicate UFOs spent 50 hours (roughly) over that territory in the month. If it is over a specific country, it will also add one to that counter each 30 minutes, as well as incrementing the territory. There are also other, more rapid, ways of the Aliens scoring that will be recorded here.

For XCOM the same basic method happens, but different things will score points - for example shooting down a very small ufo (100 points) in the UK would add 100 to UK, and 100 to Europe, downing the same craft would get 50, and completing a 25 point mission would gain 25 in both the UK and Europe. Negative values would also be added, decreasing the score and potentially making it negative (shows as 0 on graph, but is actually stored as a negative number internally).

Also, this shows that the aliens go for different regions with different probablility:

ZONAL.DAT

Progress:

• Simple Aeroscape screen (where UFOs and Aircraft fight) implemented
  • Geoscape remembers camera position between invocations. (So view doesn't jump around when Geoscape changes mode/loses focus)
  • Can only change the weapons on a craft when it's in its home base

Other notes:

• I think the accuracy figures need some work. As they stand, the UFOs are chewing up the interceptors.
  • Feedback would be appreciated.

Wanted:

X-COM 1, accuracy and reload times for UFO weapons.

I've found http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=UFOs, but it only has power and range

Sorry, doesn't exist (at least not yet). In the CE executable X-COM craft are first, then come UFO's, then X-COM craft weapons, but that's it. See, UFO's have an integrated weapon system (dual launchers of some type, probably plasma) and thus have no need to have a separate craft weapon section for them. It's defined in the craft attributes instead. I suppose one of these days I might be able to do some testing on this, but not anytime in the next month or so. This scenario would require some major tweaking and editing - especially for the reload times. ;)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

Progress:

I've updated item.xml and item.xsd in the c++ mainline http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/tr...ame/data/schema

So you need to get the latest version of them.

What's been done:

• Updated accuracy figures for craft weapons (thanks Zombie)
  • Added Score element to items
  • Added element to UFOs - to list what we recover until Battlescape is implemented
  • Can now get Missiles for aircraft as single units

Progress:

I've updated item.xml and item.xsd in the c++ mainline http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/tr...ame/data/schema

So you need to get the latest version of them.

What's been done:

• Updated accuracy figures for craft weapons (thanks Zombie)
  • Added Score element to items
  • Added element to UFOs - to list what we recover until Battlescape is implemented
  • Can now get Missiles for aircraft as single units

Ooooh, lots of updates. Looking good! :)

I see you added the shoot time as "15" and the accuracy as "1.4" for the UFO's craft weapons. Those are just place-holder values until I can get the actual numbers via testing, correct? *makes note*

So, do you mean that we can buy a single missile in the geoscape, and that missile will automatically be placed on a craft if the "clip" isn't full? *makes another note* When we implement manufacturing, the same thing has to be done for the GAIA missile clip. ;)

- Zombie

I see you added the shoot time as "15" and the accuracy as "1.4" for the UFO's craft weapons. Those are just place-holder values until I can get the actual numbers via testing, correct? *makes note*

Yes

So, do you mean that we can buy a single missile in the geoscape, and that missile will automatically be placed on a craft if the "clip" isn't full? *makes another note* When we implement manufacturing, the same thing has to be done for the GAIA missile clip. ;)

- Zombie

Yes

New update:

• Statistics Screen now shows financial info (funds, maintenance, purchaces, sales, balance) for each month
  • Statistics Screen now shows UFO and X-Corp activity by Region and Country
  • Can now rotate the Geoscape and X-Net by holding the right mouse button down and dragging the mouse
  • Fixed game getting locked in loop when an aircraft is shot down by a UFO.
  • EquipCraftScreen shows number of ROUNDS in base, not CLIPs
  • Countries' attitudes to X-Corp depends on score in previous month.
  • Score gained for:
    • Destroying UFOs
    • Crashing UFOs
    • UFO's complete mission (aliens score)
    • Destroying X-Corp aircraft (aliens score)

New update:

• SaintD's patch: Displays Region and Cost for building a base (and debits cost)
    • SaintD's patch: Copies the .png terrain files to target directory. (Also copies planet.xml and .xsd)
    • Fixed problem with sometimes getting duplicate UFO and Craft names when loading a saved game

New update:

• Updated facility.xml & facility.xsd in C++ trunk. (So you need to refresh again.)
  • SaintD's patch: adding alien attack priority to regions.
  • SaintD's patch: double click on facility in add facility list to select.
  • SaintD's patch: first base shows price of $0

New update:

• Basic UFO visibility implemented. Still need to allow for small & large radars to not detect UFOs.
  • Layout of initial outpost and its starting inventory are now specified by new startsettings.xml (as suggested by SaintD)

Other notes:

• For debugging purposes, UFOs that are "undetected" are still shown on the geoscape as white geomarkers. They turn red when detected.
  • Mad, can you get please get someone to put the correct starting inventory list into startsettings.xml.
  • Turns out distance calc isn't a big problem. On my PC, I can do 2.35 million a second, and I only need to do 500,000 (worst case). <_>

Mad, can you get please get someone to put the correct starting inventory list into startsettings.xml.

Working on it

edit: how does that "top" / "left" business work with the facilities? I guess it's the facility fields, relative to the lower right corner? But then the values are all incorrect. So what is this?

Edited by Mad

I just saw, thaere is a typo in item.xml. It's smoke_grenade and not smoke_granade. Haven't changed anything and used it in startsettings.xml with two 'a'. Don't know how it is referred to in the other files. Just so that you know. :)

startsettings.xml is updated now and uploaded into the svn.

But it seems the parser does not accept "quantity=0" Something about "quantity may never be zero". So what to do now? I mean, I could just remove all the "quantity=0" entries, but I think that makes modding more difficult, so I think another way, allowing to keep "quantity=0" entries would be much better.

Edited by Mad

Mad, can you get please get someone to put the correct starting inventory list into startsettings.xml.

Working on it

edit: how does that "top" / "left" business work with the facilities? I guess it's the facility fields, relative to the lower right corner? But then the values are all incorrect. So what is this?

It's relative to the top left corner

startsettings.xml is updated now and uploaded into the svn.

But it seems the parser does not accept "quantity=0" Something about "quantity may never be zero". So what to do now? I mean, I could just remove all the "quantity=0" entries, but I think that makes modding more difficult, so I think another way, allowing to keep "quantity=0" entries would be much better.

Thanks. I'll fix that.

I just saw, thaere is a typo in item.xml. It's smoke_grenade and not smoke_granade. Haven't changed anything and used it in startsettings.xml with two 'a'. Don't know how it is referred to in the other files. Just so that you know

And I'll fix that also.

progress:

• Fixed up names of some items in XML files (e.g. Granade -> Grenade) in mainline. (People, you'll need to refresh again)
  • Updated startsettings.xml provided by Mad (as requested) thanks mad.
  • Implemented Scheduler and moved Facility Construction to it

Other notes:

• Mad, I've manually patched xnet.xml, for the ITEM_GRANADE and ITEM_SMOKE_GRANADE renamed. However, you'll need to update xnetCtFiles.xml in Rtf2Xml or the next time you regenerate xnet.xml it will break.

Other notes:

• Mad, I've manually patched xnet.xml, for the ITEM_GRANADE and ITEM_SMOKE_GRANADE renamed. However, you'll need to update xnetCtFiles.xml in Rtf2Xml or the next time you regenerate xnet.xml it will break.

done. thx

Startsettings.xsd is broken. Facility type and item type attributes are set to undefined custom types and the game crashes when you run it.

In my copy I changed them to xs:string and it works. I don't know enough about XSD to define custom attributes, and I am not ever sure we want to.

proposed patch attached.

SaintD_2007_08_08.zip

Startsettings.xsd is broken. Facility type and item type attributes are set to undefined custom types and the game crashes when you run it.

In my copy I changed them to xs:string and it works. I don't know enough about XSD to define custom attributes, and I am not ever sure we want to.

proposed patch attached.

er. Actually, I think you just need to get the latest version of basic.xsd, item.xml, facility.xml/.xsd etc from http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/tr...ame/data/schema

proposed patch attached.

er. Actually, I think you just need to get the latest version of basic.xsd, item.xml, facility.xml/.xsd etc from http://svn.projectxenocide.com/xenocide/tr...ame/data/schema

Strange. I thought I had. I will try again. Thanks. Is there any way to cross link this into the XNA tree so we get it automatically? I know its possible in CVS, just not how exactly.

-D

You cannot because they are different repositories, not just different branches. On the other side, given that with Xna you just can add that into the project and get it compiled and "validated" against the schema on build it makes sense to just put those XML directly in the code project instead of separated.

Greetings

Red Knight

You cannot because they are different repositories, not just different branches. On the other side, given that with Xna you just can add that into the project and get it compiled and "validated" against the schema on build it makes sense to just put those XML directly in the code project instead of separated.

Greetings

Red Knight

I don't think that's such a good idea.

1. Doing that will result in two copies of the files in the SVN repository, and keeping them synchronised is a pain. We've already got two copies of xnet.xml (one in CTD, the other in the c++ trunk, and they they've gotten out of sync and broken several times.

2. Currently, XNA doesn't validate the XML files at build time.

Progress:

• Alien Overmind now selects a single region to molest each month. (Starting with the X-Corp base)

Other notes:

• Mad, would you like to organize someone in CTD to update planets.xml, with the latitude and longitude of the cities?
  • There's a list of minor (and possibly not so minor) items I could do, but I'd like to declare the current code base as qualifying as a suitable for a progress release.
    • Score on End of Month report
    • Salvage from UFOs
    • Implement cheats, to so undetected UFOs are NOT shown on the Geoscape
    • UFO destroyed if downed over water
    • Only troop carrying craft can attack a landed/crashed UFO
    • Only craft carrying weapon pods can attack a flying UFO
    • Click on Aircraft on Geoscape to get state and allow changing orders
    • Click on UFO on Geoscape to get status
    • Implement UFO "build base", "Supply Base", Terror and Retailation missions

Are there any other tasks that come to mind?

Incidentally, when I find the person responsible for this, there will be trouble

/// <summary>
/// The different types of missions the Overmind can select
/// </summary>
public enum AlienMission
{
	/// <summary>
	/// UFOs sent off on research
	/// </summary>
	Research,

/// <summary>
	/// UFOs sent to get food supplies
	/// </summary>
	Harvest,

/// <summary>
	/// UFOs sent to anal probe Eric Cartman
	/// </summary>
	Abduction,

Mad, would you like to organize someone in CTD to update planets.xml, with the latitude and longitude of the cities?

We're a little understaffed atm, but I'll do my best. Do you have a source for the longitude and lattitude?