XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Creative Text Writers Post Here

Guest Syntax Error

Greetings, Andrew. Once you finish validating (respond to the email that the board sends you), an admin will come along and make you a recruit. From there, you'll be able to post in the workshops, where we do the majority of Xenocide work.

Also, you should check out the new Xenocide names thread in the workshops, as we'd perfer not to refer to the old names (due to legal reprecussions.) Then, just post on the forums. Please try to keep spam to a minimum (ie: Don't just say "That's cool" but tell why you think it's cool, etc.)

Welcome to Xenocide!

Edit: Xenocide names are stickied on top of the X-Net subforum.

Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, i've known about it since the first mention of it on some of the other x-com boards.... I guess i've finally realized that the x-com community isn't going anywhere without help from the people in it... So i'd like to help, and seeing as i can't program in anything other than basic (and not too well at that), and i'm not an artist, i'd come here. I can write fairly well, and my spanish is OK but not great, so what do you guys need?

I really enjoyed Xcom and have been hoping somebody would do this.

I can write code but it is not my forte so you can get much better in this area.

I am a biotech researcher with a background in Zoology. My background made the alien research aspects of the game interesting. Secretly I wished that you could actually direct the research by answering questions and focusing in on certain aspects of the aliens anatomy. Good choices would improve the speed of research. Mythos didn't do this probably because it would be difficult, some wouldn't appreciate it and it could cause gameplay balancing issues.

If you guys need any science advise or ideas, feel free to contact me.

Glenn Soltes

• 4 weeks later...

Goodday ppl.

I believe that this project will be a success..!!

Ok, I want in, but I don't program/music/art.. The only thing I can is CT.

I'm finishing my A level exams, taking Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, so that should be some basic science knowledge, also, hopefully I'll get into uni to Study medicine in UK. I'd mainly be into looking at drafts, like proofreading. I've got a decent eye for spotting text flaws, commenting whether the 'average' gamer person would be able to understand the texts. Btw, I'm Chinese, so might be able to help out in a few areas. eg. clarification of first names/last names of chinese ppl.. posted somewhere in the workshop or lab.

Ok, looking forward to a reply from an Admin.

Awof out

1. "I've got a decent eye for spotting text flaws, commenting whether the 'average' gamer person would be able to understand the texts."

2. "Btw, I'm Chinese, so might be able to help out in a few areas. eg. clarification of first names/last names of chinese ppl.. posted somewhere in the workshop or lab."

1. That's really important, if you have a good eye for that, it's great! (and needed in my humble opinion)

2. Actually we have been wondering that a little bit, you sure can find that topic in the workshops which is about the names and share your knowledge about that. Please :)

Well anyways, welcome to the site! Lets see if some senior members will read your post and make you a member, until that, please take part to discussions at the lab! ^_^

Cheers Puasonen..

Re the names, I forgot where the specific post was. It mentioned asking about the difference between first names, last names etc. Maybe someone who knows will show me? I was somewhere around the 'generating names' thread, and noticed there is *too little* chinese in the naming IMHO..;Þ

Yeah, I hope to join, still waiting to see what a senior member thinks..

Awof out

There's a web interface that allows you to contribute name suggestions for continents i believe. I think LordT has a link in his signature, as he created it. Otherwise look for 'names database' in the search feature to get to it. Welcome aboard everyone, once an admin makes you recruits, check out the workshops/X-Net forum for creative writing items. We have a list of official entries in there, which are pretty much assigned out already. But we are also going to expand on the X-Net (ufopedia) interface to include other writing, so that will be the next step forward.

The more creative minds we have, the better! Welcome aboard you two, read through the forums and join in any discussions you like to get your feet wet.

Hi!

I'd like to help with texts.

I've been playing UFO and TFTD some years ago and I loved 'em. Now that I stumbled over your project I'd really love to move it forward. Having some programming skill and also a hand for the graphics I thought about joining there - however, accessing a group of writer is much easier and I believe that the story is the key to success.

Graphics may be great and programming done by pros. But if the story su*** and lacks details... the game would be a waste.

Having done RPG with a group of people from around the globe I feel confident to strenghten the project with my texts and proof-reading.

Cheers,

Fab

I can certainly try to do so.

Problem is that time is a very valuable resource to me and decent programming usually consume a whole lot of this resource. Therefore progress would be slowly with me. :sly:

This is no problem with small texts for... say a gun or the descriptive text in [battlescape], but it might become a problem if I don't find the time to write that useful class everybody is waiting for. :hammer:

So it's basically up to you. I'm willing to invest time and effort but I will set the limits. :D

I'll start with the reading and writing. Meanwhile I can download the sources and start diging in them.

Just give me that "Rookie Trial Member"-Status which goes so well with my usual expression: :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hollowpoint

Hello folks,

I thought I would pitch in and offer my services as a writer. I'm afraid that I can't program, and I'm not even a competent artist, and I understand that that's what you really need. Nonetheless, I've got a lot of experience with writing, and also with writing about X-COM. I used to write a lot of fan fiction.

A sort-of CV for your perusal:

I'm an experienced if professionally unpublished science fiction writer, am widely read, have played every X-COM game bar that awful arcade nonsense, and am an English lit graduate. I'm about to embark on an MA which involves a lot of creative writing.

If you fancy a sample, I wrote the X-COM timeline on www.x-com.co.uk (yes, I wrote that, no, I am not credited, and yes, it is heavily based on the X-COM Interceptor booklet, but nothing is reproduced verbatim, and canonical detail has been added throughout).

I suspect that a lot of my old X-COM fan fiction is still up on www.fanfiction.net. Let me just check...

Ah, yes: http://www.fanfiction.net/list.php?categoryid=424

Everything there by "ShootThemLater" is mine. The most recent one is _Take Me Home_, which is not too long, and thus probably a good example. _Cydonia_ and _The First Engagement_ are older pieces, but have proven quite popular. They're both quite gung-ho, but there ya go. I wrote them almost seven years ago. :)

Please let me know. My e-mail address is [email protected]. Should I sign up for the forums?

Yes, you need to sign into the forums... and May I suggest the XNet Proofreading Task Force, as it will allow you to get in touch with the project quite easily... Another plus is that new people will find consistence issues easier than old members.

Greetings

Red Knight

Yes, you need to sign into the forums... and May I suggest the XNet Proofreading Task Force, as it will allow you to get in touch with the project quite easily... Another plus is that new people will find consistence issues easier than old members.

Greetings

Red Knight

Cheers, Red Knight. I've signed up, now. Same username as I used above. I'll look into the Proofreading Task Force... where should I go? Is it on this forum? Hmm.

Ahh, proofreading... I know it well. I need a job in the publishing industry.

Breunor reaches out to the new recruit, pulling him into his withering grasp... :D I'll PM you.

Guest KillZone

Hey there Id like to help with all the Creative Writing thats yet to be finished..

I think Im a half decent writer and would be happy finishing other peoples work or whatever youve got in mind...

Ive got ideas a plenty an I hope to be of some use to yall

Im still playing the original UFO an I cant wait to see what this is gonna be like

hi id love to help with xenocide (even tho my computer will probably kill itself when i try to install the finished product)

creative text dept seems the best one for me to help with so consider this my application

HI IM really ineterested in trying to help this project along its way so a finished project can be playable soon. Im hoping to get an assignment in programing however if i can't i dont have art skills or tweaking with sound. so Creative Text would be my next offer. I hopefully can offer some help in writting descriptions or helping somehow. I just graduated from highschool and have a lot of time on my hands this summer and would love to help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

This sounds like a great project (and you've gone a long way already, according to the screenshots). Like most people I have a full-time job, but I'll be able to do a bit of work at home. My skills are as follows:

- My English is good; I've worked as a translator a bit, and though I'm Norwegian, I read a lot of English books.

- I'll be able to translate English -> Norwegian. It would be cool to finally see a good game in my own language!

- My German is OK. I'm able to read a manual, but not to write one :)

- I've finished two thirds of the 3D Studio Max tutorials (just starting with the animations), and I've meticulously modelled my dart board and other stuff Just For Fun.

- I have x-rays of my hands taped on my office window (dunno if that counts as a skill, but at least it can explain why I'd like to propose a new weapon called the Banana Splitter).

- I've played the XCEU (:master:), TFTD (cool), and Aftermath (barf) games, plus loads of other ones (who hasn't?).

:rock: on!

I would like be involved in the project,

Im a mechanical engineering student (Postgrad pending results)

i can work for the creative writing dept and i understand how weapons work and their ballistic properties. (although my knowledge maybe of limited use in a gaming environment).

I could write autopsy reports and the like but think id be best with weapons, particularly aircraft (im hoping to further my education in that area).

I have done 3d modelling but with engineering apps so unless i can get a handle on your formats i will probably be of no use.

Just to register interest, I'd love to help out with writing and game ideas. The project looks as if it's progressing excellently thus far, but the more the merrier! :D

I can do research, storyline, manual, whatever :)

Oh, and when translations start, I can help with the German translation, as I've been studying it for quite a while :) (read: this is my seventh year studying German)

Hey, I'd like to do whatever I can to help out, too! I've been a big fan of the X-Com games for a while now, and doing my part to help move forward such a project would be great. Unfortunately, I'm not incredibly technologically adept, and anything beyond the occasional hex editor is way over my head, but if you guys need weapon/item/location text descriptors written up, I'm sure I can help. All I need is a heads-up, and I'm ready to do just about anything non-computer related (sorry guys, but getting Apocolypse to run is the height of my technological achievements). If you require help writing/planning bits of the storyline or whatever else, I can go for that, too.

If you guys have any spare space aboard, or you're not already swamped as it is, I'd love to lend a helping hand. Besides, I'd like to know that I did something to aid the rerealization of one of my favorite games ever.

Edited by The Master Maniac

• 3 weeks later...

Hi pals ...

I'm found of the UFO concept, and still plays enemy unknown, really often :)

i'm not sure of what i can do to help you to make the next xcom as i dreamt it should be , but if you need help for a french team i'm your one ... translation (fench), french support team, original (genialistics) ideas for gameplay and scenarii , just ask me, i'll do the best i can for the best game ever done ... i probably spent more time playig ufo than colonization !

long life turn-based strategy !

long life ufo !

:) waiting for orders ...

Greetings!

I am interested in contributing to the project. I have a BS in History, and have spent the last six years as a US Air Force officer. I love science fiction and PC strategy games (UFO Defense particularly). I have much experience with creative/technical writing. Please, give me something to do!

Welcome aboard guys! Once you become a recruit you'll have access to additional forums, and you can contribute to any of the active threads. For the most part all the areas have been started at this point, but not all are finished, so we look forward to your input.

You want translations? I can do Chinese (Simplified & Traditional), Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portugese, Russian, and Spanish. The grammar of my translations could use a bit of work, but it should (for the most part) be understandable. I only have time to get online on weekends.

Edit: Plus English.

Edited by Tsereve

Once all the texts have been finalized as cohesive and edited for grammar, then certainly other languages would be great. The text will be in XML format, so just replacing the text with copy/paste should work for most translations.

I can translate it from english to english:P

hmmm, we don't need writers as much as people who will help organize it and stuff. Still haven't gotten dippy's reply to that ask for an assignment. So you may have trouble getting a reply

writers are always welcome, there are still a few CTs to be written. Also it does'nt hurt to have a few more set of eyes criticising others work, just looking for inconsistences and the like. If you want to be pointed in the right direction, i'd be happy to help.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah id love to join the CT department and help with the master peice ive got some good ideas up my sleave like do the aliens free ones youve captured from the alian containment when your base is under attack?? ect

See ya all around

Jono

Edited by Pookie

sure. just check out the CTD forum under Workshops - Active tasks. look for entries you think should be changed(if you see any marked by me, then post it quickly, unless already closed)

THIS IS MY SECOND POST:

Hi, I posted a request to join this department a month ago, and Micah sent me a PM with all the links and info and stuff. But none of the important links worked! I PMed Micah about it, and he said he'd get it fixed within a few days. As I said before, that was a month ago. The links still don't work :crying: . I PMed Breunor, who I was told is the department leader, and he said to post here again. So, here I am, again asking to joing the Creative Text Department (or anything else that requires almost no advanced computer skills). I'll fully understand if your days are packed (my school gives me no free time on week-days), but if anyone with power is reading this (hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink, Stewart/Micah *cough* *cough*), could you at least clue me in on what the :cussing: is going on?

Edited by Tsereve