• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 08:12 AM

Well, the mindshield does AFAIK only repell craft when it seek to FIND the base, not ATTACK it. Couldnt it be the same for the aliens wanting to acturly attack it? Aliens could rely so much on brain waves for detection, that they do not map the location precise enough for an assault team?

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#2 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:53 AM

I'm not sure how the mind shield works in the original. NKF could know. I have had my own experiences though!

1. If aliens have attacked your base already and you build a mind shield, they won't stop attacking -> so doesn't help

2. If aliens haven't attacked your base yet and you build a mind shield, you can still be attacked by aliens.

So how the heck is it working in original? I think it reduces the probability of getting attacked by aliens IF you haven't been attacked to that base yet before. I'm not sure though and I can't figure out how the game would calculate the possibilitys of attacking with and without the mind shield. Definitely should be made more useful. I never use it as it is now.
There's no need for a sig..

#3 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• 2,211 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:42 PM

before the very larege ufos come, small scouts come to reveal your location. the mindshield is supposed to fend off those.

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

#4 Tuoppi

Tuoppi

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 07:27 AM

Could it be changed so that it also decreases efficiency of attacking troops?

Like denying access of Mutons, as they die if not mentally linked to ethereals. And seriously decreasing or preventing alien or both sides MC chance?

#5 Danny252

Danny252

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:00 AM

Its used to stop aliens detecting you, this is how:
The aliens use brainwaves to detect human presence and the mindshield blocks these brainwaves, drastically decreasing chances of being found.
*Atishoo.. atishoo..*
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
"Oops.. I set off the self destruct device.. damn.."
Last words of Sergant Leia Evans before being blown to bits by the alien self destruct mechanism.

"Hey, look, roasted Greys!"
Colonel Bob Newman, the Sahara, downed Grey scout ship.

#6 Tuoppi

Tuoppi

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 11:13 AM

So it was in the great original... But it was quite a waste of money to build one. It could be made more useful by decreasing MC-prob. Think of ethereals storming your base, just when they enter power is turned on and they realize they can barely sustain themselves, without chance of controlling anyone´s mind...
:crying:

Edited by Tuoppi, 19 February 2004 - 11:15 AM.

#7 Robo Dojo 58

Robo Dojo 58

Colonel

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 11:30 AM

That's a great idea, Tuoppi. That'd make the mind shield INCREDIBLY useful on base defense.

I wonder, because of Muton physiology, would they be affected by it as well? They rely on PSI input to function properly.

What if a mind shield kept alien scouts from triangulating your base? They'd find one, but would need to send a battleship to find its exact location. If it got lucky, it would attack, and if it didn't, it'd fly off, or attack the military base a few miles down the road. Poor guys, glad I'm not them! ^_^
Posted Image Haha! I'm now the Supreme Commander of X-COM. Time to kiss Earth goodbye.

My first order of business: Homeless people make cheap rookies, and are great at opening UFO doors. Heck, they're so cheap, I'm going to replace all personel with them!
Secondly: This organisation takes too much money to run. Weapon shipments will come from Siberia from now on. Costly maintenance is to be cut on all facilities. That includes venting.
Thirdly: We have a new colonel. His name is Facehugger, he loves aliens, and I want you all to treat him with respect.
Lastly: I'll be in my condo on an undisclosed island, if you need me. Good day.

FMIX-The General Stores

#8 Black Dash

Black Dash

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 11:40 AM

Nice ideas. The one to block the the entry of alien scouts is really a good one and the etheral biz to....(*thinks to himself* i would like to have good ideas too.... :().

*LOL*

#9 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• 2,211 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:26 PM

hmmmm....I like the idea of a "Psionic-wave blocking invsible jelly" arround your base. But this would also decrease your powers (like etherials, not completely like from psi attack 90 to psi attack 45), as you are within it too.

#10 54x

54x

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:30 AM

Surely it could be made to allow signals from Psi-Amps, but not allow signals from aliens, who don't use that technology anyway? So it dampens the signals from nearby minds, but not from nearby amplifiers :)

On a tangent: Wouldn't it be kinda cool if you could set up "psi decoys" later in the game, to try and prompt an alien attack? So suddenly when flying over they detect what looks like a large concentrations of minds much like an XCOM base... and then you can shoot them down on their way to it, and laugh as they waste resources on a decoy :D