XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Got The Item But Can't Research It

andersh

My Xcom game is going very well and my researching used to be good as well, but... Now I seem to be stuck. I got the sonic weapons and oscilator(sp?) but I still need to research a lot of things that I found and tranfered to my researching base:

Vibro blade (got a calcinite corpse)

Ion Beam Accelerators

Magnetic navigation

All tanks (reseached all Gauss stuff, but still haven't got any new tanks)

Disruptor pulse launcher (I already researched Zrbite)

Alien sub construction

Ultimate Threat (I Researched Alien origins and captured both Gillman and Lobster Man Commanders/Nav.)

I took a lot at different research trees like:

www.liacs.nl/~tfargo/xcom2/xcom2techtree.png

and I know I might have researched some aliens too early but anyway... Why do I miss so many weapons? Damn, I'm tried of the Thermic Tazer used on Tasoths and Lobster Men =p

Hope someone can help me..

The calcinite corpse is all you need to research the vibroblades. You need a live Gill-Man to upgrade to the slower but more powerful thermic lance and heavy thermic lance.

Ion Beam Accelerators should appear the moment you get one in the research base's storage. You can capture them from intact USO's.

Magnetic navigation should, in theory, appear once you have one at the research base. If not, try and interrogate a Lobsterman Navigator first.

The new tanks only appear once you've got the Manta + the related sub weapon. The Gauss Coelacanth needs the Gauss Cannon, and the Sonic Displacer needs the Sonic Oscillator.

The Manta requires Sub Construction and Mag. Ion Armour. Sub Construction is obtained by researching Zrbite and the Transmission resolver. You MUST have a 'sub construction' item in the research base's storage before completing the last of the two projects.

Mag. Ion Armour requires Ion Armour and Magnetic Navigation. Ion Armour is obtained by researching plastic aqua armour, ion beam accelerators and THEN researching a live deep-one. If you researched it too early, you'll need to capture another one. As you can see that Mag. Ion Armour is needed for the new subs, you really do NOT want to miss this one step.

The disrupter pulse launchers need Zrbite. If you've already researched zrbite, no worries. You only need to have them in the research base's storage. When you complete the next research item, it doesn't matter what, they will become available for research.

- NKF

Ok, so I should be able to research

Vibro blade (as I have around 10 of them)

Ion Beam acc. (as I have around 25 of them)

Sonic displacer (as I have researched the Gauss cannon)

Disrupter (as I have researched Zrbite)

but I can't. Guess it's some bug in the game so I better start all over?!

I have another problem as well: When I captured 4 different Lobster Men (commander, navigator, technician and soldier), I transfered them to another base (with alien containment). All the Lobster Men arrived but I can't research the commander or the navigator, only the soldier and the technician. Strange...

But thanks for the replys anyway :)

You don't need vibroblades in stores to research them, you need to research Calcinite Corpse...

If you have IBA in stores, it should be on your research list...

Displacer/Sonic needs Sonic Oscillator and MANTA, not Gauss...*

If you've researched Zrbite, you should get DPL on the list (assuming you have a sample in stores)...

NKF already said all this, and much more :P

A few questions:

You said "my research base"...did you happen to research some of the prerequisites in a different base? (shouldn't matter, but I've had games where it DID)

Have you completed a research topic since the items arrived (sometimes the research list doesn't properly update until the next time you FINISH a topic)

* Actually, displacers require the respective craft weapon (sonic oscillator/PWT) and are added to the list when you finish research for a new type of sub (Manta, Hammerhead, Leviathan)...this is also true of the Gauss Colecanth (you don't get it until you've got Gauss Craft Cannon and finish research on a new sub..got no clue why, since it uses no alien tech)

You may have to restart...or you could try getting a new research.dat file from that paralight site

Grommet

Edited by grommet

I'll just clarify on the SWS. To get a SWS of a particular type, you need:

Manta + craft weapon of the respective tech that you want

Therefore:

To get the Gauss Coelacanth, you'll need to research the Craft Gauss Cannon and the Manta.

To get the Sonic Displacer, you'll need to have researched the Manta and the Sonic Oscillator

The PWT displacer needs the Manta and the craft PWT Cannon.

It doesn't matter which order your research the Manta or the craft cannon, as long as you have it. The key is to get the Manta, then research your craft weapon.

I'd highly advise against using the Gauss Coelacanth. It's very buggy and for some reason uses craft gauss cannon rounds. The main bug is the arming. If you load the gauss coelacanth into your ship, then unload it, you lose 50 gauss cannon rounds. They just vanish. There's one other related arming bug that I think involved losing ammo after your return from a mission, but I can't remember the specifics.

With the Manta being the main prerequisites for all your new tanks, it's actually much easier to just get the Sonic Oscillator and go straigt for the Sonic Displacer.

- NKF

Ok thanks, now I get it about the displacers. But because of alle the other stuff I couldn't get, I started over again. The funny thing is that after my first return from a successful USO-site I can research:

Sonic Pistol

Sonic Rifle

Sonic Cannon

Sonic Pulser

Ion Beam Accelerator

Zrbite

simply all the stuff I find... That's really strange. I may go for another version of XCOM 2 (guess it shouldn't be a problem t´hat I use Dosbox 0.65).

If you don't think that knowing the research order will spoil the game for you, check those pages:

NKF's research bug avoidance guide - this will prevent you from screwing up your research (several things will not appear, if you research them in the wrong order).

and

Tech tree forum thread.

Quick note on the tech tree: if a new project requires some previous projects and also an alien, it's highly recommended to research this alien LAST (after all other prerequisites).

Edited by Bullet-Tooth Tony