XCOMUFO & Xenocide

No Luck

Jenny

Alright, it's that time of the year again.. I wanted to play X-com 3.

Along with that desire comes the hassle of getting it to run. I know I've done it in the past.. but this time I seem to have struck some unsurmountable barrier.

I have the CD version of the game, and I have tried every single FAQ on the tech support forum. None of em worked, in fact they all led to the same thing: I get a black screen with a cursor, and it just sits there forever. It even loads VDMSound drivers etc and the mouse patch, and then just sits there.

VDMSound DOS loader, version 2.01 (Aug 04 2001)

Copyright © 2000-2001 Vlad ROMASCANU.

VDMSound is covered by the GNU Public License (GPL), version 2 or later, as

published by the Free Software Foundation, Inc. (http://www.fsf.org/).

Loading 'VDDLoader.dll'...

Successfully loaded & initialized (hVDD = 0x01).

Like that.

I have honestly tried everything. The no cd patch, the mouse fix, setting the display options to compatibility, setting it to 256 colors. I've tried no sound, I've tried starting in full screen, tried both of the batch files suggested in the stickied patches. I even downloaded another version off the net and tried all possible combinations on that one as well. Every single effort led to the exact same result. The blinking cursor that just sits there. It doesn't even launch the game or give me an error message of any sort.

It's immensely frustrating, and I have no idea what to do. Please help!

Have you tried running it with dosbox?

Do you have VDM Sound installed?

Have you tried pressing spacebar. If I recall correctly the blinking cursor should appear after the introduction. Try downloading VDM Sound and run VDMS_Apoc, assuming the downloaded version is from *snip*.

[Edit by Zombie: please do not mention where to download the game, as it is still copyrighted and not abandonware].

Edited by Zombie

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.41 Ghz

2GB RAM

Geforce 6800 (I think)

It runs fairly well, unless the game is filled with action, like you said. As soon as stuff starts exploding and a zillion projectiles are in the air, it slows down to a crawl. Annoying, but manageable.

I'm just happy I can play.

Jenny, can you please post your computer configuration?

I'm wondering about Apocalypse perfomance in DOSBox on your machine. On my P-4 2,8 Ghz it runs OK when there's nothing special in the game, but with lots of smoke/fire/explosions it turns into a slideshow.

Try using VDMSound, that speeds up the game a lil bit.