XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Smoke Bomb?

Do these smoke grenades obscure the alien's sight at all? My dead comrades say no. I've tried to give them some extra cover but this Superhuman terror mission = ambush; I get surrounded by a half dozen plus aliens. Only my 3rd mission on this game; I keep replaying the mission ... but at least half my men die of lead poisoning (plasma poisoning in this case). Or are smoke bombs for entertainment purposes only?

Smoke Grenades aren't just for show. They actually work. Of course, they have to be utilized properly. The best thing to do is to throw them between yourself and the aliens or even right on top of your team. Then let the aliens come to you. Aliens have to venture closer to your squad to get a bead on them and in the process this eats up their TU and lowers their ability to reaction fire. Or you can take a more direct approach and scout ahead a little with a runner and when he/she encounters an alien, back them off and take pot shots at it till it falls dead. Nothing ever works perfectly, but the Smoke Grenade can do a great job concealing your movements. :)

- Zombie

Typically you use smokers to exist the skyranger or when opening a UFO door (typically for the small UFOs). IIRC if you detenate a smoker outside the UFO door it actually creates smoke inside. Even in smoke, if you get close enough you will see someone and they will see you. So, if an alien starts right by the skyranger, facing you, with high probability ti fire, then dems da breaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Smoke is great for exiting the Skyranger. Too often you'll have two or three aliens watching the ramp when you exit and they'll slaughter you with reaction fire as your guys try to exit one by one (especially at terror sites).

Smoke gives you a little safe zone for you to assemble your squad. I take two smoke grenades every mission. One guy throws it down the base of the ramp, the other drops it in the Skyranger. It makes a huge difference; I very rarely get killed exiting the Skyranger anymore. In fact, I don't use HWPs a lot primarily because they make it a lot more cumbersome to smoke the ramp.

• 1 month later...