XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Wiki: Windowsquickstartguide

Even

I wish to improve some parts of the wikipage "Windows Programming Quick Start Guide" and also merge it with QuickStartGuideVS80.

http://docs.projectxenocide.com/index.php/...QuickStartGuide

http://docs.projectxenocide.com/index.php/...kStartGuideVS80

I tried yesterday, for my first time, to follow those guides to setup and build Xenocide on Windows platform and discovered that some parts were lacking details. The include-directories for VC++ where missing some descriptions which caused me problems, and building boost also gave me problems.

So Im basically asking for permission to improve and merge those pages.

Ps. Can someone explain when the DirectX SDK minimum can be used, and explain this step a bit better:

"I usually take the option at the end of install to put vcvars32.bat into your autoexec.bat. Either that or manually enter the environment variables inside the batch file into the windows environment vars list. This makes building things for Visual Studio from the command line a lot easier."

Done now. Merged in the VS80-page, added VC++ directory info for ms platform sdk, added corewin_express.vsprops file info, fixed some broken links, restructured and a lot of small changes/fixes.

If my changes are unwanted it should be easy enough to rollback to the previous version, else you should remove the http://docs.projectxenocide.com/index.php/...kStartGuideVS80 page as its not referenced anymore from anywhere.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having trouble building boost.

I get to 4. Open up MS Platform SDK Build environment console

OK I have a few options I pick the one that best suits my winXp machine

Microsoft Platform SDK Windows XP 32-Bit IE 5.5 Retail Build environment.

Poof window opened Ok

5. Change directory (and drive) to your boost root (C: [enter] cd \boost\boost_1_31_1 [enter])

Done

6. Build Boost: bjam -sTOOLS=vc-8_0 "-sBUILD=debug release <runtime-link>static/dynamic <threading>multi" stage

In the window I past the above line

ERROR the standard windows program error.

"bjam.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Do I want to tell microsoft about this problem? HAHAHHA..

I am having trouble building boost.

I recommend using Google, there's a number of people who report problems compiling boost on express.

Rather than my listing all the problems, I suggest you google using this phrase (include the quotes)

boost bjam "2005 express"

No luck building boost.

There are lots of other people with the same problem but no real solutions.

I think it is just a command line problem at this point.

bjam "-sTOOLS=vc-8_0" stage

This gets me a windows error would I like to report it to microsoft.

bjam "-sTOOLS-vc-8_0 " stage

-tools.jam: No such file or directory and and windows error.

I posted a support request on boost.org but it looks like no one has the time to handle the requests.

Does anyone know if I can use VS 2003.net that is what I used before when I helped. When I try to open the solution it tells me I need a newer version. Anyway around this? if not does someone have the boost header/lib files built for vs c++ 2005 express they could put somewheres for me to grab.

Thanks.

Does anyone know if I can use VS 2003.net that is what I used before when I helped. When I try to open the solution it tells me I need a newer version. Anyway around this? if not does someone have the boost header/lib files built for vs c++ 2005 express they could put somewheres for me to grab.

Thanks.

Actually, these are the only boost files you need to build.

Copy the files boost_filesystem-vc80-mt-gd-1_33_1.lib and boost_filesystem-vc80-mt-1_33_1.lib to \dependencies\lib\vs80

Copy boost_filesystem-vc80-mt-gd-1_33_1.dll to \xenocidegame\bin_d

Copy boost_filesystem-vc80-mt-1_33_1.dll to \xenocidegame\bin

Note, you still need the headers. But they don't need to be built.

boost_filesystem.zip

Thanks for the files.

Should I just copy ALL .hpp into \dependencies\include ?? because I didn't build it I dont have the header directory I should have.

Thanks again im almost back up.

No, you just need to make sure the boost headers are on the VS includes search path.