XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Cdt Format & X-net Updating

Cpt. Boxershorts

This is a couple of questions all thrown together, so bear with me.

First, how should ctd submission be formatted? I know that we're limited to basic ascii text files; mostly I'm asking about line wrapping. I've noticed that the entries on the asset list are split fairly evenly between the 'assume linewrapping' and 'add carriage returns' camps, and I'd like to get a final word on the matter. I think it's better to settle it now than to have to go back through the list, and edit all the entries that don't correspond.

Second, will there be any way within the x-net entry to have formatting? I'm talking about italics, underlines, etc. Since the basic entry will be text, I'd guess not, but again, I'd like to hear it offically.

Lastly (and then I'll shut up), there was some talk about making certain entries update themselves. For example, alien alloys are formed by silicoids (humans can create them artificially), but that's not in the text because chances are the player won't have met a silicoid by then. However, when they do research them later, would/should the alloy entry be updated to reflect the new knowledge?

Is this idea going to be or likely to be implemented?

-The Captain

Bearing with you :wink: !

I'll answer point by point:

1.) It is preferable to be word-wrapped, but not everyone writes with notepad and this can mess things up. For people that this happens with, the carriage return is ok, as I'll be going over the documents anyhow in GREAT detail at some point, and I can take care of those few then.

2.) Yes. If you want to add them, I suggest using HTML tags for now in the text documents. Once the X-Net is ready for the entries, the details can be hammered out.

3.) Undetermined at the moment, although the impression I got from that thread is that it is v1.0+. Personally, I think it could be v1.0, but thats up the coders to decide. We can always hope. But at the moment, will a new alpha imminent, I think they dont want to be bothered with that :wink: .

These are really good questions. If you have some more, post them. It should also help clear up any questions that new members have. Fire away (everyone who has a question)!

Gold

hi,

if you need to add/remove/change ascii control characters within multiple text files, i could provide you with a perl script to process entire directories in no time. just PM me with your wishlist.

Also, for later, a script which includes those special tags for italics, bold etc. (and hyperlinks maybe) for a given set of repetitive keywords (given via flatfile i.e.) is no problem.

greetings,

zwn

no, it doesn't.

windows: ActiveStatePerl

unix, linux, mac os x and all other os: Perl.org

just a piece of software - i think it's called a interpreter (Perl --> C --> Assembly --> Machine Code) :D

pitiful mortal,

the master is always right ! :wave:

• 6 months later...

Sorry to be the flip-flopping, doesn't know what he wants coordinator, but we probably won't need any of the stats in these texts, just the summary, detailed text, and any quotes/fluff text you have. Even the name can be left out.

This is because the data format for all this stuff will be something like this:

Pistol

AP

Descriptive text here...

That's simplified/missing entries, and the descriptive text will actually be in a seperate file, but that should give you an idea. All your rtf entries need to have is the summary/details/quotes part, as you can see we'll provide the other info elsewhere.

It's not a big issue, when the time comes I'm just going to cut/paste what we need from each entry anyways, so if you prefer seeing it all in one spot that's fine too.