XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - XC-11 Condor

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this is considered "finished", but if not, I would like to comment on the "based on the osprey" concept. While it is true that the basic set-up of the osprey and the XC-11 are similar, I would not use "is based on". The differences are too radical, as are the technologies involved. I did some research, and found this page, and the first sentence could perhaps be used... a bit modified. So the intro of the XC-11 CTD would be

In the 1940s, the first ground tests were conducted for what would become a long heritage of Vertical and Short Take-Off and Landing (V/STOL) aircraft. Since then, technology has greatly advanced, and the XC-11 is a craft that is not only faster than any other transport craft of its class, but also capable of carrying more payload over longer distances than ever before. The XC-11 also features titanium alloy armor-plating, providing our troops and equipment with superior protection from small arms fire.

what do you think?

• 1 month later...

Mmmh... I'm not terribly fond of taking sentences straight from other sources (well, quoting aside). If I really like it, though, I prefer to tweak it slightly. *tweak tweak* ^_^

Following the resolution of the Second World War, the initial ground tests were conducted for what was destined to become a rich legacy of Vertical and Short Take-Off and Landing (V/STOL) aircraft. Since that time, technology has advanced considerably, making the XC-11 not only faster than any other transport craft of its class, but also capable of carrying greater payloads over longer distances than ever before. The XC-11 also features titanium alloy armor-plating, providing our troops and equipment with superior protection from small arms fire.

Are these acceptable tweaks?

Edited by Astyanax

• 1 month later...

Just to get this done and moved over to proofreading...

First off, I'm not too sure we really need to go into the fact that the hover tech has been lying around since the 1940s... While the XC-11 can be said to be the current peak of the development in transport tech, it is still a spiritual descendent of the Osprey. The first time I saw the model, I was think "Cool! an armored Osprey! With Turbojet engines!".

But just out of curiosity, was the Osprey designed with military applications in mind? And has it ever been used by the military of any nation?

If the answer is yes to both of them, I see little need to modify the last version of the text, reposted below to keep it from falling too far back.

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Craft/Transports/XC-11 "Condor"

The XC-11 "Condor" is a Vertical/Short Take Off/Landing (VSTOL) transport craft is based on the obsolete Osprey tilt-rotor design. Recent technology breakthroughs and architectural improvements have resulted in a craft that is not only faster than any other transport craft of its class, but also capable of carrying more payload further than most similar crafts. The XC-11 also features titanium alloy armor-plating, providing our troops and equipment with superior protection from small arms fire.

In the late twentieth century, a redesign of the outmoded Osprey VSTOL was deemed necessary by the U. S. Military command. The design specifications for the new aircraft called for sufficient transport capabilities for twenty fully equiped equipped "Land Warrior" infantry, improved airspeed, and increased range. In spite of the demanding design requirements, the new XC-11 "Condor" design, to the surprise of many, not only met the design requirements, it even exceeded many of them.

The XC-11 "Condor" shares many design similarities with it's predecessor, in particular the twin rotatable outboard engines located at the wingtips. However, where the Osprey depended on turboshaft driven rotors for propulsion, the Condor relies upon twin experimental supercruise-capable turbofans instead. The dual turbofan engines provide enough thrust that the Condor can be equipped with an extra two inches of titanium alloy armor and still achieve vertical take-off, even when fully loaded. Despite being equipped with additional armor, the Condor remains the fastest VSTOL transport currently in service.

The Condor is also capable of carrying an impressive amount of fuel in tanks located in the wings and wingroots. As a result, the Condor is capable of staying aloft for extended periods of time before refueling, resulting in a maximum range unmatched by any other VSTOL transports. As required by the design specifications, the Condor can carry twenty fully equipped infantry soldiers. Also, as an alternative loadout, the XC-11 design allows up to two newly developed remotely-operated weapons platforms to be carried along with twelve fully equipped soldiers.

As the XC-11 "Condor" meets the stringent requirements that the X-Corps Taskforce demands of its transport aircraft, it has been adopted as the official X-Corps Transport until better alternatives become available.

"Man, that plane looks like a tank!"

"At least you can be sure that AA guns won't bother you much..."

"Yeah, but where are the hardpoints? Or guns? How am I going to defend myself against people shooting at me?"

"I guess you could always ram them..."

"...you're not helping..."

-Trainee Pilots busted to "Condor Duty"

• 5 weeks later...

Regarding Moriarty's previous comment about the Condor not being "based" on the Osprey, you could probably add: "...is loosely based on the obsolete Osprey..." I don't have a preference either way- both are fine by me.

So, this is getting my special Astyanax™ seal of approval. :Tomato:

Good job tzuchan! =b

• 1 month later...

Completed, good work.

---------

XC-11 CONDOR

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Craft/Transports/XC-11 "Condor"

The XC-11 "Condor" is a Vertical/Short Take Off/Landing (VSTOL) transport craft is based on the obsolete Osprey tilt-rotor design. Recent technology breakthroughs and architectural improvements have resulted in a craft that is not only faster than any other transport craft of its class, but also capable of carrying more payload further than most similar crafts. The XC-11 also features titanium alloy armor-plating, providing our troops and equipment with superior protection from small arms fire.

In the late twentieth century, a redesign of the outmoded Osprey VSTOL was deemed necessary by the U. S. Military command. The design specifications for the new aircraft called for sufficient transport capabilities for twenty fully equiped equipped "Land Warrior" infantry, improved airspeed, and increased range. In spite of the demanding design requirements, the new XC-11 "Condor" design, to the surprise of many, not only met the design requirements, it even exceeded many of them.

The XC-11 "Condor" shares many design similarities with it's predecessor, in particular the twin rotatable outboard engines located at the wingtips. However, where the Osprey depended on turboshaft driven rotors for propulsion, the Condor relies upon twin experimental supercruise-capable turbofans instead. The dual turbofan engines provide enough thrust that the Condor can be equipped with an extra two inches of titanium alloy armor and still achieve vertical take-off, even when fully loaded. Despite being equipped with additional armor, the Condor remains the fastest VSTOL transport currently in service.

The Condor is also capable of carrying an impressive amount of fuel in tanks located in the wings and wingroots. As a result, the Condor is capable of staying aloft for extended periods of time before refueling, resulting in a maximum range unmatched by any other VSTOL transports. As required by the design specifications, the Condor can carry twenty fully equipped infantry soldiers. Also, as an alternative loadout, the XC-11 design allows up to two newly developed remotely-operated weapons platforms to be carried along with twelve fully equipped soldiers.

As the XC-11 "Condor" meets the stringent requirements that the X-Corps Taskforce demands of its transport aircraft, it has been adopted as the official X-Corps Transport until better alternatives become available.

"Man, that plane looks like a tank!"

"At least you can be sure that AA guns won't bother you much..."

"Yeah, but where are the hardpoints? Or guns? How am I going to defend myself against people shooting at me?"

"I guess you could always ram them..."

"...you're not helping..."

-Trainee Pilots busted to "Condor Duty"