XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Alien Written Language

stewart

Testarosa those look awsome!!!!!

Azrael the first one is nice; different fonts; hmmmm?

The second one . . . . well . . .  uh . . . yer a great guy Az.

Thanks Stewart! feel free to use them as you will. Here's the language embossed on some intresting looking metal.

alienmetal.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now there is only one thing left to do;

explain what the heck this is. I mean, I don't get it at all. I can't see any logic in it. The player may want to be able to reverse engineer the code - don't make it too hard. Because I don't get lobster of this.

I don't get it either, but there is no reason to make it easily graspable with just looking at it, if the player actually *wants* to learn how to use it (like some people with Klingon :OhBrother:), he can read the forums and learn it :) if we use it in-game in like an x-net entry, we will of course provide the translation.

Ok, now I'm probably taking this way too far here. Alien wall mounted plasma screen TV's. Whoohoo!!! Constantly displaying the alien message to unsuspecting xenocide troops.

Alienwallmonitor.jpg

Ask Vaaish he seemed to grasp it quickly:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=242024570&hl=

Me, I have no idea how it works, I just thing it looks cool and alien. I think it would be cool to have this writing  in the battlescape, like written on the interior walls of UFO, and on Monitors in the control rooms etc. I'll make a metalic one and post it.

Zombie figured it out too. Frankly I DO explain it ALL in THIS thread.

Thanks Stewart! feel free to use them as you will. Here's the language embossed on some intresting looking metal.

alienmetal.jpg

How bout a smoother metalic surface. Also with the various surfaces can you try embossing (indented rather than protruding - I suspect wood will look better that way and stone will look more "ancient")

EDIT: sorry fotgot to say it looks awsome! =b

Ok, now I'm probably taking this way too far here. Alien wall mounted plasma screen TV's. Whoohoo!!! Constantly displaying the alien message to unsuspecting xenocide troops.

Alienwallmonitor.jpg

What an interesting idea! But can you make it look like a computer screen. Maybe use the original black with green and say put in dithering lines to represent the lines in the monitor.

post-5250-1132960071_thumb.jpg

How bout a smoother metalic surface. Also with the various surfaces can you try embossing (indented rather than protruding - I suspect wood will look better that way and stone will look more "ancient")

EDIT: sorry fotgot to say it looks awsome! =b

Indeed, looks great :)

Okay here's a funny one.

post-3-1132973026.jpg

Pardon my artistic quality, I've only got MS paint and what I remember from highschool art classes to guide me.

Bragging rights for the first who translates it.

EDIT: DOH Concatenation oversight! Extra points for whoever spots it.

EDIT2: A total of 3 Concatenation oversights. Is my face red :Blush:

post-5250-1132963193_thumb.jpg

What an interesting idea! But can you make it look like a computer screen. Maybe use the original black with green and say put in dithering lines to represent the lines in the monitor.

Could you make it look like the screen on an UFO's computer? this would be useful artwork for X-Net entries that don't have physical models like a pistol or a grenade, I'm thinking namely of Alien Origins, since it brings up the issue of the language :)

Hahaha I like that! Alien graffiti! Thats pretty good for paint, especially the brick pattern! I would try to interpret it, but when I started reading post number 12 explaining the language my head started spinning. Best to leave it to the experts!

The last three rock and wood types were all engraved not embossed you can tell because of the direction the light source is hitting. I'll try engraving on a different metal.

Does anyone have a texture that they are using for the UFO's? I would like a try at embossing/engraving some lettering on that.

This gave me some weird ideas for places the language could be found on ;). I'll post them when I'm done.

Hahaha I like that! Alien graffiti! Thats pretty good for paint, especially the brick pattern! I would try to interpret it, but when I started reading post number 12 explaining the language my head started spinning. Best to leave it to the experts!

The last three rock and wood types were all engraved not embossed you can tell because of the direction the light source is hitting. I'll try engraving on a different metal.

Does anyone have a texture that they are using for the UFO's? I would like a try at embossing/engraving some lettering on that.

This gave me some weird ideas for places the language could be found on  ;). I'll post them when I'm done.

I don't think we have internal UFO textures yet, only external (though they could be both the same).

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8726#

Could you make it look like the screen on an UFO's computer? this would be useful artwork for X-Net entries that don't have physical models like a pistol or a grenade, I'm thinking namely of Alien Origins, since it brings up the issue of the language :)

What exactly would a screen on a UFO computer look like, do we have any current examples or do you just want me to make something up? I'll put the original black and green back into the screen as well, It will probably make it more legible.

What exactly would a screen on a UFO computer look like, do we have any current examples or do you just want me to make something up? I'll put the original black and green back into the screen as well, It will probably make it more legible.

Sorry, I really don't know :( the concepts could change quickly (and to my knowledge there is no UFO interior concept yet). We do know how does the X-Corps screens look like (from Barracks and Labs models). Maybe we could ask Vaaish if we could (later) use one of your screen models with Alien script for Alien Origins :)

This gave me some weird ideas for places the language could be found on  ;). I'll post them when I'm done.

I don't think we have internal UFO textures yet, only external (though they could be both the same).

Given me some stuff to write-up for the lad.

Dont ofrget the dithering lines. :naughty:

Right, I won't!

@Azrael, I started that thread there's definately no UFO texture in there :shrug:.

Maybe it's best not to mess with the exteriors anyways. Come to think of it I really should be working on UFO concepts right now.

edit: Ok I'll just do what looks like a computer screen with the black and green text and absolutely with dithering lines!! The computer can come later.

Edited by testarossa

There is the Medium Scout texture posted by Fux.

Oh...that...yeah but thats already on the ship I meant like unfixed texture file, sorry.

Given me some stuff to write-up for the lad.

If we got word from Vaaish that we could use it (once testarossa makes the pic), I could try to get someone to write something that could be obtained from an Alien ship/transmission, etc, I'm kind of blank now :)

Would the writing be embossed, engraved, or neither but lights.

I was thinking about doing just that plain neon I had done before since it was going to on a screen. Wouldn't really make sense for it to be embossed. Whats the Alien Origins creative text entry say? Maybe convert it to alien and then I'll make the image of it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language

Language Construction Kit

History of the Greek Language

Linear B

You may find something useful in the first one.

DO have a look at the 2nd link!

The last ones may give you some inspiration :D. For example, ancient greeks didn't have commas or spaces...

I guess you wont be all that surprised Kafros to learn that in fact I have been reading about Linear B lately :naughty:

Ok is this "dithery" enough? I also tried to add the salt and pepper effect as well.

Alienscreen.jpg

I see primary uses for this as on screens in the alien bases and ships. Another use might be a research topic called "alien Language" that allows you to decipher data recovered from UFO's.... but that is most lilkly post 1.0

I also envision this as sunken relief for inscriptions on stone.

I guess you wont be all that surprised Kafros to learn that in fact I have been reading about Linear B lately :naughty:

Actually, that's what first came to my mind :naughty:. Wonderful crabbed writing :P

Have you completed the organization of the language (letters, grammar, syntax)? Because I see that most of you work on the artistic part :)

Here's an idea for a computer screen. I actually found a good way to mimic that alien hull texture and I embossed that around the edges of the screen. Give some suggestions if you feel like and I will adapt them. Like for a control panel I want some ideas for that.

aliencomputerconcept.jpg

Here's an idea for a computer screen. I actually found a good way to mimic that alien hull texture and I embossed that around the edges of the screen. Give some suggestions if you feel like and I will adapt them. Like for a control panel I want some ideas for that.

post-5250-1133034783_thumb.jpg

Excellent! =b

what i meant by the lines is: you know in star wars when they do communication holograms of say darth sideous speaking to darth underling and the image has lines going through it, I mean that kind of effect.

Still, well done young man.

what i meant by the lines is: you know in star wars when they do communication holograms of say darth sideous speaking to darth underling and the image has lines going through it, I mean that kind of effect.

oh and that screen WILL become my desktop at work.

Cool!! and thanks, I think it looks awsome but it would be easy to change the dither,

Hmmm..I might have to refresh on that by watching a little Star Wars, unfortunately I don't own the new ones :(.

In addition to what I mentioned to write in Alien perhaps if Azrael has a completed alien origins it would be good to write about that as well. Any other suggestions for the screen would be good as I can't imagine that it passes the test on the first or second try!

I gave a go at deciphering the text and..well... I can at least tell where the sentences break off now :)

Edited by testarossa

oh and that screen WILL become my desktop at work.

Cool!! and thanks, I think it looks awsome but it would be easy to change the dither,

Hmmm..I might have to refresh on that by watching a little Star Wars, unfortunately I don't own the new ones :(.

In addition to what I mentioned to write in Alien perhaps if Azrael has a completed alien origins it would be good to write about that as well. Any other suggestions for the screen would be good as I can't imagine that it passes the test on the first or second try!

I gave a go at deciphering the text and..well... I can at least tell where the sentences break off now :)

It depends, what are we going to use that image for? if it's for Alien Origins, I can ask someone to write something that could be in an UFO's computer so Stew can translate it and be added to the image.

I think stew is refering to "scanlines" where every other line alternates brighter and darker.

Right..yeah I remember the holograms vaguely.

Azrael: Well that really depends on what you guys want to do with it, if anything, I thought you mentioned Xnet entries with no pictures to go with them. If you would like to use it be my guest. So basically I'm just going to be a lowly grunt in this matter and let every one decide what to do =b .

Really though I just did it for fun so if you don't need it, don't use it.

I think stew is refering to "scanlines" where every other line alternates brighter and darker.

Azrael: Well that really depends on what you guys want to do with it, if anything, I thought you mentioned Xnet entries with no pictures to go with them. If you would like to use it be my guest. So basically I'm just going to be a lowly grunt in this matter and let every one decide what to do =b .

That's up to Vaaish, not me, I was thinking since Alien Origins has relationship with the Alien Language, having a picture like that (or THAT picture) could be nice.

That's up to Vaaish, not me, I was thinking since Alien Origins has relationship with the Alien Language, having a picture like that (or THAT picture) could be nice.

I could see that working pretty well.

I could see that working pretty well.

Good, I'll see about making a short text to be translated, then :)

Good, I'll see about making a short text to be translated, then :)

Excellent =b I guess stewart or one of these other linguists will have to translate it but as soon as its done I'll put it in the ol' computer screen.

You can also place alien alphabet on covers of alien ABCs :)

Edit: Mistake in the alphabet :).

What do you mean?

Stewart, are you sure the system isn't ambiguous?

What do you mean?

Can you translate numbers?

Havent figured out numbers at all, should I?

You can also place alien alphabet on covers of alien ABCs :)

Edit: Mistake in the alphabet :).

What do you mean?

That image attached contains all possible (how do you call them?) symbols. Essentially -- sounds. 3 in 1. How do you think young aliens study writing? And how do you think they teach ASL? (alien as a second language)

Stewart, are you sure the system isn't ambiguous?

What do you mean?

Can you write something that can be read in two or more ways? Espesially with that writing optimization...

The written language is very similar to Korean. You can actually look at the glyphs and "sound them out". This is because Korean unlike chinese actually uses an alphabet. But they arrange their letters in to syllable blocks to, I suspect "chineseify" the written language. There have been calls in Korea from time to time to stop arranging the language in these sylabic glyphs and just write it out like the rest of the world with letters making up words. So far this has met with resistance. At any rate a young aliens would learn to sound out the syllables.

As for ambiguities I have been conscious of and carefull to avoid them; did you spot some?