XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Heavy Cannon

Aosar

Guest drewid

or some form of recoilless rifle?

I seem to remember footage of one from the vietnam war which was far too big for one person to carry, but produced little recoil.

can't remember how the mechanism worked but something like a self propelled round, with the gasses being vented to the side of the weapon, would produce a lot less kick I should think.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't remember how the mechanism worked but something like a self propelled round, with the gasses being vented to the side of the weapon, would produce a lot less kick I should think.

That would be rocket powered, methinks. And Breunor said we should steer clear of that.

Why is that by the way, Breunor?

Hmm, the OICW that we are going to use as rifle ingame already fires 20mm grenade (the 5.56 mm gun has been remove). This can, and probably will be changed, since the OICW only packs six 20mm grenades. Programable, no less :P

Hmm, the OICW that we are going to use as rifle ingame already fires 20mm grenade (the 5.56 mm gun has been remove). This can, and probably will be changed, since the OICW only packs six 20mm grenades. Programable, no less :P

I thought they had problems with the HE unit (granades), so they removed the 20mm granade launcher on top....

OI! Why isn't anyone having a look at my newest consept?! :cussing:

It has been read a whopping 3 times... So, what do you think about it, remember critique is welcome!

Edited by Aosar

Here's Heavy Cannon after I got my grubby paws on it. I added a bit more intro, and changed some spelling and grammar, but didn't really change the technology references any. If anyone wants to change anything else, it's up to them.

I figure I'll start putting fluff text in my replies, instead of inserting it into the edited text. That way it's more up to other people whether it gets added, and I don't have to feel like a fluff pusher. <_< So here it is.

"We got the new cannons Tuesday. Those weapons looked very powerful, you know? I liked the look of them. I thought I could kill a lot of aliens with one of those. Then they let us fire it at targets. I was still getting used to the eye-window, so I missed. I was happy, though, because I hit the head. It broke all over, there were pieces flying all over, and Robinson said it was like a Sectoid brain splattering. Tomorrow we're trying the other kinds of bullets. I'm very excited."

- Private Dzemil Besim

Heavy_Cannon.txt

Edited by Fred the Goat

I figure I'll start putting fluff text in my replies, instead of inserting it into the edited text.  That way it's more up to other people whether it gets added, and I don't have to feel like a fluff pusher.

I think its a good idea to not change the original document. Make suggestions and let the author do the changes. That way there are fewer versions flying around.

If anyone wants to change anything else, it's up to them.

Here goes...

First, your fluff bit... (i hope you dont mind :sorry: )

"We got the new cannons yesterday. Wow, do those weapons look powerful! I thought to myself, 'Now that is a gun! Boy will I be able kill the aliens with one of those!' In training, they let us fire it at targets. I was still getting used to the eye-window, so I missed a lot, but that didnt matter because I hit the target and it broke apart. There were pieces flying everywhere! Robinson said it was like a Sectoid brain splattering. We all had fun on that firing range. Tomorrow we're trying the other kinds of ammo. I cant wait for high explosive!"

- Private Dzemil Besim

And then onto the text itself...

This new war requires ...

".. alien war ..."

... or ...

"The war with the aliens ..."

... sounds better to me.

... full range of weapon specialties, in particular weapons powerful enough ...

Weapon specialties? Dont you mean weapon 'types' or 'sizes' something?

The MM-7 Mark 2 'Heavy Cannon' 20mm multi-purpose machine gun is a result ...

I get the impression it really isnt a machine gun.

... is a result of combining modern day technology to old USSR designs.

"... is a result of combining old USSR designs with modern day technology."

... sounds better to me.

It features semi-automatic fire and a clip containing six bullets of one of three types of ammunition. These are armor piercing, high explosive and incendiary.

Bit strangely worded. Try...

"It features semi-automatic fire and the ability to choose the type of ammunition you want to use. Clips can contain up to six High Explosive, Incendiary or Armor Piercing rounds."

Or something along those lines.

The targeting system on the MM-7 is designed to compensate inaccuracy caused by the weapon’s location via a simulated targeting reticule in the headset screen of the Xenocide Uniform.

I think it should be...

"... compensate for inaccuracy ..."

And what do you mean by its 'location'? Do you mean the fact that it has to be fired from the hip? If so, try...

"The targeting system on the MM-7 is designed to compensate for the inherent inaccuracy of such fire-from-the-hip weapons by displaying a simulated targeting reticule in the headset screen of the Xenocide operative."

In the Mark 2 - aimed for X-Corps use ...

Who was it 'aimed' for before then? I though XCorp designed it?

And im trying to decide whether it should be X-Corp , X-Corp's or X-Corps'

Whats the basic name for the group? X-Corps? X-Corp?

... hardware and software are updated for adjustment in a foreign environment e.g. a different planet, to meet the high requirements inherent in the alien incursion.

Different planet? Thats a bit early isnt it? I mean, they know the aliens arent from down the road, but already saying our weapons are ready for alien worlds is a bit optimistic. Perhaps you should talk about alien species or just plain 'targets' instead. Foreign environments is iffy too. Try...

"... hardware and software are updated to facilitate adjustment to the new scenarios we are encountering. e.g. targeting of larg/small species and flying objects."

It is also worth noting that by a UN decree, after the alien war is over all MM-7 line weapons are to be destroyed for humanitarian reasons.

I quite like this. Sortof. I think. Hmmm... :huh?:

If you are going to keep this bit, maybe also a comment that under no circumstance are they to be let into civilian/military hands?

It is also worth noting that by a UN decree, after the alien war is over all MM-7 line weapons are to be destroyed for humanitarian reasons.

I quite like this. Sortof. I think. Hmmm...

If you are going to keep this bit, maybe also a comment that under no circumstance are they to be let into civilian/military hands?

I have to ask... If they aren't allowed to let anybody else get thier hands on it, wouldn't that mean that we won't be able to *sell* them in the equipment screen?

Edited by tzuchan

My 'IMO' comment about staying clear of rocket propelled ammo was based on the idea of point blank range, and having enough distance to accelerate to full speed, which someone else had brought up before me. I guess I'm just a ballistic fan?

Yeah, i think we should stay clear of rocker propeled unless we want to make it fully so. I think a hald ballistic half rocker propelled idea would be bad.

Im with you Breunor.

Guest Jim69
Look at the 203 grenade launcher thats fitted to most M16 Carbines, that's prob the best way 2 go, it's not rocket propelled and would work well I think. It works like a really big bullet IIRC, however has a range b4 it detonates so maybe it wouldn't b suitable.

"We got the new cannons yesterday.  Wow, do those weapons look powerful! I thought to myself, 'Now that is a gun! Boy will I be able kill the aliens with one of those!' In training, they let us fire it at targets. I was still getting used to the eye-window, so I missed a lot, but that didnt matter because I hit the target and it broke apart. There were pieces flying everywhere! Robinson said it was like a Sectoid brain splattering. We all had fun on that firing range. Tomorrow we're trying the other kinds of ammo.  I cant wait for high explosive!"

- Private Dzemil Besim

Ah, Dzemil, how foreign you are (Bosnian was what I was aiming for, BTW). Looks as good as mine. Dzemil has a little different flavor, but that's not a bad thing. I think either one would work.

As for the other comments, I'm afraid I'm my usual stubborn self. I like the way This New War sounds, and weapon specialties sounds professional IMO, but then those were the bits I wrote from scratch, so I'm biased. The rest I agree with, especially the interplanetary weapon stuff. A lot of that stuff I was trying to address in my rewrite, but I couldn't get it to the point that I liked it.

Who was it 'aimed' for before then?

Well, I didn't write this down, but as I saw it, it was a old USSR design that fell trough many middlehands to the U.S. Army Intelligence and they made the first few MM-7s, untill the UN banned them.

Thank you! I personally also enjoy the idea of a UN banned weapon based on old USSR design, perhaps I could change it from being a old USSR design to an old Nazi design? But that would make the weapon seem a bit too "evil" wouldn't it. (Mainly 'cause while USSR were simply 'the commies,' Nazis were downright UnGodly evil![yes, I know, everybody hate the Nazis, but atleast you don't have to go to school with some Neo-Nazis! :cussing: ])

My 'IMO' comment about staying clear of rocket propelled ammo was based on the idea of point blank range, and having enough distance to accelerate to full speed.

Actually as I planned it the RPG(hoh) reached full speed within the barrel of the weapon and thus created the heat that could possibly cause the destruction of the targeting system...(based on miceless's great idea)

But, personally I like the recent one more, it "smells" powerful! :D

I have to ask... If they aren't allowed to let anybody else get thier hands on it, wouldn't that mean that we won't be able to *sell* them in the equipment screen?

Imagine; You are the last hope of mankind against near total extinction, will you worry about humanitarian laws when you desperately need more money? Possibly you(the X-Corps commander) have a agreement with the UN that for every MM-7 unit removed from use and destroyed you receve a little monetary compensation?

Private Dzemil Besim is - IMO - a geek, cause he talks like a one, make the fluff text a bit more "grunty"

Look at the 203 grenade launcher thats fitted to most M16 Carbines, that's prob the best way 2 go, it's not rocket propelled and would work well I think.

Check the more recent one, by Fred the Goat... And as Kenshiro said, the 203 is not as powerful and accurate as would fit the consept of the Heavy Cannon. Still I know as much about guns as a ferret knows about table manners!

Edited by Aosar

Quite a few of them are personal preferences and my comment can be ignored if needed.

Most certainly not! They should not be ignored and I'm not indending(sp?) to ignore them in any way. They are critique and to a certain agree critique - especially constructive, like yours - is an artists best friend. Still, I'm no artist...

Who was it 'aimed' for before then?

Well, I didn't write this down, but as I saw it, it was a old USSR design that fell trough many middlehands to the U.S. Army Intelligence and they made the first few MM-7s, untill the UN banned them.

Ok, thats not clear from the text. Perhaps we can add something about that? :huh:

Thank you! I personally also enjoy the idea of a UN banned weapon based on old USSR design, perhaps I could change it from being a old USSR design to an old Nazi design? But that would make the weapon seem a bit too "evil" wouldn't it. (Mainly 'cause while USSR were simply 'the commies,' Nazis were downright UnGodly evil![yes, I know, everybody hate the Nazis, but atleast you don't have to go to school with some Neo-Nazis! :cussing: ])

Id stick with USSR. Lets keep this non-religious and flame free shall we. :whatwhat:

My 'IMO' comment about staying clear of rocket propelled ammo was based on the idea of point blank range, and having enough distance to accelerate to full speed.

Actually as I planned it the RPG(hoh) reached full speed within the barrel of the weapon and thus created the heat that could possibly cause the destruction of the targeting system...

But, personally I like the recent one more, it "smells" powerful! :D

Nah, that smell is me. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/dead9.gif

Imagine; You are the last hope of mankind against near total extinction, will you worry about humanitarian laws when you desperately need more money?

Yes, or i would imagine you would lose funding quite quickly. :D

Possibly you(the X-Corps commander) have a agreement with the UN that for every MM-7 unit removed from use and destroyed you receve a little monetary compensation?

Thats a better idea, and pretty much what I said earlier. -_-

Private Dzemil Besim is - IMO - a geek, cause he talks like a one, make the fluff text a bit more "grunty"

Which version? <_<

Look at the 203 grenade launcher thats fitted to most M16 Carbines, that's prob the best way 2 go, it's not rocket propelled and would work well I think.

Check the more recent one, by Fred the Goat... And as Kenshiro said, the 203 is not as powerful and accurate as would fit the consept of the Heavy Cannon. Still I know as much about guns as a ferret knows about table manners!

The 203 is effectively a grenade launcher. Not really along the lines of a cannon. However, i think the non-propelled idea behind that is a good one.

EDIT: We need input from other people.

Edited by miceless

Which version?

Both actually, too "book english" from a mouth of a soldier. Either add more slang or accent, perhaps even both!

Ok, thats not clear from the text. Perhaps we can add something about that?

Yes, I know, it's a part of the weapons history that I didn't write down, but I should have.

Yes, or i would imagine you would lose funding quite quickly.

What they don't know, won't hurt 'em... Or will hurt them loong after the war... But still, the idea about selling them to the UN is probably the best bet for V1, later - if we deside to impliment that suggestion of mine - you could sell them to the UN or you could sell them to the black market and receve more money, but risk people finding out and reducing your overall funding and image(along those who know of your existance)!

Lets keep this non-religious and flame free shall we.

What do you mean by that. There aren't Nazis in these boards are there? And like I said, if the weapon would have connection to Nazis it would harbour too much of negative image to the weapon itself and also to the game overall...

True, and from all the different relevant departments! And not just in this...

Edited by Aosar

I'm in agreement with the majority of what's been said. Nice stinky dead smiley! Yes, Dzemil is a geek. Not all grunts are grunty. He's still getting used to the whole X-Corps grunt scene. I dunno. I think he's good, in both versions. As for guns, I'm with the table ferret. I have no freakin clue.

[EDIT]

Another thought - Dzemil is "book english" precisely because he's Bosnian. He's still learning the language. I think he speaks very well, thank you very much. :Blush:

Edited by Fred the Goat

Another thought - Dzemil is "book english" precisely because he's Bosnian. He's still learning the language. I think he speaks very well, thank you very much.

Yes, indeed, I know what you mean, - just look at what kind of english I use! - but that's why I suggested adding some accent(sp?), it would make the text look a bit more plausable(sp?)...

I think the comment to avoid religious posts in regard to nazis is that they tend to cause flames very quickly, regardless of the poster's intent. It simply causes bad feelings. For the same reason I would avoid any reference to Nazis or any other group in that league when it comes to text descriptions.

You'd give a Bosnian accent in written text?

Hmm, now that you say it like that, it seems like a terribly bad idea. Verily(sp?) your point is valid!

I think the comment to avoid religious posts in regard to nazis is that they tend to cause flames very quickly, regardless of the poster's intent.

Oh! Yes, I used a religious reference. Well, never the less, vile they were...

For the same reason I would avoid any reference to Nazis or any other group in that league when it comes to text descriptions.

Yes, like I said, I fully agree. Besides, I think there is some rough charm in ole USSR... :LOL:

Which version?

Both actually, too "book english" from a mouth of a soldier. Either add more slang or accent, perhaps even both!

I think its fine as I made it atually. But im biased. :D

Ok, thats not clear from the text. Perhaps we can add something about that?

Yes, I know, it's a part of the weapons history that I didn't write down, but I should have.

Does that mean you will add some?

Yes, or i would imagine you would lose funding quite quickly.

What they don't know, won't hurt 'em... Or will hurt them loong after the war... But still, the idea about selling them to the UN is probably the best bet for V1

Agreed.

Lets keep this non-religious and flame free shall we.

What do you mean by that. There aren't Nazis in these boards are there? And like I said, if the weapon would have connection to Nazis it would harbour too much of negative image to the weapon itself and also to the game overall...

I dont know that there are no Nazis, but we dont need to go too far into "I hate xxx" in any form. I was saying lets not go into too much details (doh!) and also can other people please not start anything as a results of this. I would have been better off ignoring it probably. <_<

True, and from all the different relevant departments! And not just in this...

Lets go poke some people. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/poke1.GIF

Nice stinky dead smiley!

Thanks, not really mine though.

You'd give a Bosnian accent in written text?

Hmm, now that you say it like that, it seems like a terribly bad idea. Verily(sp?) your point is valid!

I agree with j'ordos. :o

I think the comment to avoid religious posts in regard to nazis is that they tend to cause flames very quickly, regardless of the poster's intent.

Oh! Yes, I used a religious reference. Well, never the less, vile they were...

Shhh! <_<

Besides, I think there is some rough charm in ole USSR...

Lets stick with the USSR then.

ouch! miceless just poked me with a stick!

now...wheres that hammer.....

there it is! post-6-1058964752.gif

To the concept, i think íts ok...but how on earth can you make a 20mm granade fly dirrectly through the air without lowering attitue?

When I get to it, not much work to do in fact, just adding what I have in mind. In a suitable form...

To the concept, i think íts ok...but how on earth can you make a 20mm granade fly dirrectly through the air without lowering attitue?

Well, first, I dowd that the ammo used by the Heavy Cannon is nothing compared to current 20mm ammo. Also we can say the targeting system somehow compensates for this?

Maybe the UN buys them off you because they dont want anyone to have them.

Theoretically, I dont think the UN would want Blaster Launchers floating around either... I think we all just have to assume that X-Corps is feeding the black market...

Gold

Guest Jim69
of cause, i just thougth of current days granade launchers.

Well, look at the size of the 203. Bout a quater of the size of the Heavy Cannon. It don't go far but it goes far enough, the bullet will be a lot smaller and with a much longer barrel and clip system as well, I'd say it's a million times more advanced than the 203 nade launcher, so power and accuracy are not an issue. Now that I think about it maybe it is more like a carryable morter?

ouch! miceless just poked me with a stick!

^_^

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/poke1.GIF

now...wheres that hammer.....

there it is! post-6-1058964752.gif

<_< Damn j'ordos for making that thing!

When I get to it, not much work to do in fact, just adding what I have in mind. In a suitable form...

Ok, post up up a new version when your done.

As for the other thing, i think we can explain away any problems about targetting and range and stuff, if we decide this is how we want to go.

I think we should avoid the bit about developing the autocannon. I know you explained that it will be available in the first base, but it's not really a new technology.

Starting equipment is pretty much assumed to be standard military gear. Top of the line yes, but still common equipment.

-The Captain

Starting equipment is pretty much assumed to be standard military gear. Top of the line yes, but still common equipment.

IMO the equipment described have seemed more experimental or the newest new top of the line stuff...

Think about it, X-Corps is the "last line of defence" so to speak, ofcourse it has the best and only the best equipment!

Yes, but being the last line of defense, you don't want them using untried weaponry. I'd feel really stupid if I lost the planet because my gun jammed due to a design flaw. :hammer:

I agree about the best equipment....just not experimental equipment. Especially since the technology of the heavy cannon is available today. Think of a shotgun using solid shot (ie: one big bullet). The heavy cannon is just scaled up a bit.

-The Captain

I'd feel really stupid if I lost the planet because my gun jammed due to a design flaw.

Hmm, true, maybe I'll rewrite it so, that instead of the auto-cannon that you get in the start being a prototype, it's the first commercially produced version of the gun.

"X-Corps scientists and oberatives are ironing out flaws in "Auto-Cannon(link to Auto-Cannon entry?)" as we speak and it will enter production momentarily. You will have a unit transferred to the first X-Corps base as it goes online."

How about that?

Edited by Aosar

"X-Corps scientists and oberatives are ironing out flaws in "Auto-Cannon(link to Auto-Cannon entry?)" as we speak and it will enter production momentarily. You will have a unit transferred to the first X-Corps base as it goes online."

Theres one spelling mistake, and im not sure 'ironing out the flaws' sounds appropriate. Though should X-Corps be getting a free unit? Since when does anything come for free? Perhaps:

"X-Corps scientists and operatives are completing development of the "Auto-Cannon(link to Auto-Cannon entry?)" as we speak and it will enter production momentarily. Units will be available for purchase soon."

If it was X-Corps, why cant their engineers make them themselves?

Well, maybe they are contracted not to make their own Auto-Cannons...

If it wasnt X-Corps, why are they getting a free gun?

And where exactly did I say it was free? Maybe it's X-Corps funded research..?

Well, maybe they are contracted not to make their own Auto-Cannons...

Possible I suppose, but it just doesnt quite fit.

And where exactly did I say it was free?

It didnt actually say, but IMO it gave that impression.

And where exactly did I say it was free?

Possible I suppose, but it just doesnt quite fit.

I'm so confused.

Edit: Hmmm...maybe it has something to do with miceless being on his 3 millionth post? Silly rogue programmers. :rolleyes:

Edited by Fred the Goat

I spellchecked the text with open office and corrected a few lines, is it "gold" or is there still work to be done?

Edit: Whoops, wrong file, well, this new file has gone trough the same treatment, I also cleared all unneccesary notes and removed all the obsolete designs of the Heavy Cannon, hanging around the board...

Heavy_Cannon.txt

Edited by Aosar

More suggestions...

The designs were acquired during the cold war, by U.S. military intelligence, however the designs were incomplete

"...but they were incomplete."

The MM-7 features semi-automatic fire and the ability to choose the type of ammunition you want to use.

This sentence sounds wrong now that I read it. Didnt I write this? Methinks it needs revising. Perhaps...

The MM-7 features semi-automatic fire and is designed to be used with multiple types of ammunition.

You may have to change the sentence after that one too.

The jolt is compensated in the basic design of the weapon, it is carried at the hip of the soldier

"...compensated for in..."

...updated for adjusting to an extremely different environment, up to 0 G functionality!

Up to zero-G? Does that make sense? And when are X-Corps ever going to be using this in zero-G?