XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Xcom Remake Project--- Ufo: Cydonias Fall

hsbckb

• 2 weeks later...

Yep gufu :)

And in case you guys didn't look into it further, there are even more photos around, which you can also download!!!

http://album.yaa.dk/main.php?cmd=album&amp...UFO/&var2=0

That's the root page of the gallery

Now, let's see something new:

http://album.yaa.dk/main.php?cmd=album&amp...WIP/&var2=0 UFOPAEDIA :O

Keep them coming:

http://album.yaa.dk/main.php?cmd=album&amp...ent/&var2=0

So, let's wait for that interview :O

Edit: http://album.yaa.dk/main.php?cmd=imageview....jpg&var2=0

That will definitely make an interesting main menu sequence ;), the animation will be beautiful :)

Edited by kafros

misiek: Everything seems to be concept art, except from the models in the Media section of their website (Sectoids, Snakeman etc)

dteviot: Guys from strategy core have already asked (kratos asked development related questions, like "what programming language are you using?") and they will answer them in an online "interview" (if Strategy Core organises one that is). We'll just have to wait.

The whole project looks nice, but currently we only see an "artistic approach", let's hope it's true and will be seriously taken care of :)

Let hope for the same and we will have a remake to play in commercial timeframe :)

About the models they are done in ZBrush (www.pixologic.com) and are rendered inside the program (I used to do some models just for fun there), I may be wrong but I have a confidence level of 98%. I would say ZBrush 2 or 3, 98 times in 100 if someone asks :P. That software is amazing, but the most important thing (the rigging and animation cannot be done in there though).

Greetings

Red Knight

Does someone here want to create an account and ask them a few questions like:

What programming language are they using?

Are they interested in co-operating with us, and exchange models, sound, code even?

No offense, but I really would rather see this as a different project. If you are willing to use all their models, without changing their XCOM cartoon appearance, then I would think otherwise. :) I'm not saying Xenocide's approach to "remaking" XCOM is bad, but I prefer the original XCOM feel over a "remake" so many other projects have done. There just isn't that XCOM feeling anymore.

-------------------

dteviot: Guys from strategy core have already asked (kratos asked development related questions, like "what programming language are you using?") and they will answer them in an online "interview" (if Strategy Core organises one that is). We'll just have to wait.

Where did I say that in this post?:

Very impressive!

I would like to have some questions answered though regarding development if they aren't asked in the interview:

1) Is this game by any chance open source?

2) If open source, what license are you working under? GPL? GNU?

3) What are your 3D artists using for modeling and animation? Blender? 3DStudio Max? They're very well done models. I've always used Blender myself for modelling, and little animating.

4) Is your svn access link broken? I seem to not be able to access it. I always liked projects that let me send patch files, not necessarily recruit me, but still credit me. I am already working on a specific project so it hard to give full focus on another.

-------------------

About the models they are done in ZBrush (www.pixologic.com) and are rendered inside the program (I used to do some models just for fun there), I may be wrong but I have a confidence level of 98%. I would say ZBrush 2 or 3, 98 times in 100 if someone asks :P. That software is amazing, but the most important thing (the rigging and animation cannot be done in there though).

How did you get the assumption it was in ZBrush?

They claim to do it in other programs:

The list below is the list of the vacant positions at Nightbird Games (the UFO:CF team), please not that these are non-paid jobs.

Look below the list for the application to sign up for one of these jobs.

3d artists

The 3d artists will create the 3d models for the game, weapons, characters, flora, ufos, aliens and so on.

Those applying must show past examples of work, previous game development experience is preferable. Must be experienced with 3d Studio Max, Blender, Maya or similar. Abilities to create skins for your models is preferable. Must be able to listen, input and react accordingly on constructive criticism regarding their work.

A 3d test will be offered all the applicants who meet the above criteria.

-------------------

As for the entire project, I will remain skeptical until I hear some answers of their game. Art is one thing (and they do a great job in that!), but programming is a whole different ball field. Hopefully, I am wrong. :) But if I'm not, there's no reason for them to recruit programmers. :)

Edited by Kratos

Guest Azrael Strife

They are not asking for programmers, indeed, and I really don't think they'll be willing to share code or models (I know I wouldn't).

As for the interview, we are organising it and will take it with their project leader very soon, I'll let you know (I've been actually chatting with the guy, sounds like this project is really going to be it! fingers crossed).

About their progress, the leader let me know about some of the details of the project, they are not just a bunch of concepts from what he told me, and he seemed very confident.

Also, this project does not seem to be open-source, but the interview will clear that up.

• 4 months later...

Not sure if I should post this here or somewhere in the Off Topic subforum but given the close relation to X-COM I thought it belonged here more than there.

I don't want to waste time, so I'll just link you to StrategyCore:

http://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/?showtopic=6794

You'll find the interview, some artwork, music, sounds and an early mock up of the intro.