XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Saving?

teukros

Hello all. It's been a while. Getting back into UFO, DOS version, it is patched to 1.4, running it through DOSBox (under XP).

I used to use Clark Wehyr's editor all the time, but that was on a long deceased Win95 system running the CE.

I only used it for re-ordering my troops (so that e.g. the strongest guys would always be in the same positions in my ships and would be automatically re-equipped with rocket launchers). I really really really want to be able to re-order my troops.

I have tried everything I can think of (including mounting the root of C:\ as DOSBox's C: drive) but the CWE WILL NOT save my changes!!!

What can I do?

You've reminded me of a little tool I'd been working on a while ago to sort soldiers. Or rather it was just to dump information to the screen, but one thing lead to another and it's become a soldier sorter. I don't think it's quite complete but it will work for the purpose you're thinking of.

neolem.zip

Unzip the following file into your game directory. It's unceremoniously called Neolem (don't ask) and has 3 files: The program itself, the txt file describing it and the cfg file that you should edit to control some parts of the program. It also has a src\ folder containing the source code if you want to poke around and see how it works.

Note: Run it straight from a Windows dos console. It's a windows console program and will not work under Dosbox.

Read the neolem.txt file and or type neolem by itself and hit enter to get a quick listing of the possible sort tokens. The .txt files a fuller list of the tokens you can use that aren't mentioned in the quick help blurb the program puts out, like last_name or statstring (to be used in conjunction with XComutil's stat strings)

You can run several sorts on the soldiers at once, reverse the sort. For a bit of fun, you can even shuffle the sort order.

I've set it up like XComutil and you must specify a WRT token to be able to make any changes final, so you can test it out first.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

(Neolem)

I've set it up like XComutil and you must specify a WRT token to be able to make any changes final, so you can test it out first.

- NKF

Nice. I'll definitely give it a look. thanks.

I (accidentallY) figured out how to force the Clark Wehyr editor to save - but it is stupid -

- you have to change the gender of one of your operatives - then (and as far as I can tell, ONLY then) it will save your other edits - so everytime you use XCOMEDIT, one of your operatives gets a sex change operation -

Life is hard if you're a XCom operative...