XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ideas Of The X-com Mind

• 1 month later...

Thats just way overcomplicated, simple kneeing is fine (for precision shots) maybe laying down as in Apocalypse would be nice but - why would u need to move on your knees or jump? I dont think we need rivers or unwalkable terrains cuz I cant really imagine watching a selectoid jumping through an obstacle.

:alienmad: :alienmad: :alienmad:

I agree with Margant - Kneeling and laying down are cool, crawling on your belly I _suppose_ couldn't hurt (it was alright in Apoc)... but this is a turn based game and we're not gonna be screwing around with things like jumping because they just aren't necessary. As far as climbing through windows, that's a whole different cup of tea, and I think I might like that idea (assuming the window is open or shot out)... gonna have to think about that one.

I'm not sure what BOS is. :) But it probably isn't close to X-Com System I bet. I've seen people suggest over and over again that we should use said system from so and so game. I say if it isn't simular to what X-Com uses now forget about it. The main goal of the remake is to stay true to the original game so they combat system has to be simular to the original. Ours should be and it is more accurate too.

Sorry I haven't been able to reply to that! Busy busy busy! :D

Anyway, BOS is Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel. They took the idea for their gameplay from X-com. Anyway, it's really good as combat systems go. (no obnoxious misses and so forth.)

Oh, and concerning the thread where guys discussed the combat engine, (I'm supposed to summarize that but I haven't really gotten around to finishing it. Sorry Margant.) I think that the engine they're designing is really realistic. (IMO, TOO realistic.)

I've tried running it in my head, (which isn't saying much, so don't listen to me too hard. :P ) and it seems that the combat sys would make it VERY hard to miss a target. That approximates reality quite well, since there isn't really much of a chance to miss things when you point their way, however this is in REAL time. In real time, people can duck suddenly or swerve to avoid things, something not given to static targets in turn-based. If we implement realistic levels of accuracy, things would die too quickly, not giving us enough time to enjoy inflicting plasma burns and stuff.

target. That approximates reality quite well, since there isn't really much of a chance to miss things when you point their way, however this is in REAL time. In real time, people can duck suddenly or swerve to avoid things, something not given to static targets in turn-based. If we implement realistic levels of accuracy, things would die too quickly, not giving us enough time to enjoy inflicting plasma burns and stuff.

A system like the one that is discussed in the forum is as realistic as the values that we use to fine tuning it (thats when game balancing came in)...

But if you model it very realistically and then make it really balanced you got a plus. And it dont look random like in the original series... you got more complex calculations but you dont get first a fine or near miss shot and then a totally 30 degrees missed fire. Thats just is not modelling the reality... you can have an accuracy plus or minus, but if you had fired then you can try to get it better... (history aware battle engine)... and there are a lot of thing that would look better without too much random behaivior. (that doesnt mean that your soldiers or the alien must hit the target, always. However they will missed consistently - dont know if this is the right word in english- )...

Greetings

Red Knight

Oh, okay then. I was just thinking we could simplify it so our programmers aren't gonna have a hard time. But then again, I don't really know how difficult it's gonna since I don't have much programming experience, so just ignore me. :P

Anyway, I think that the combat sys that was designed in the thread is really good. (I like the cone idea.) Just had that teensy problem with the values presented, but that's okay now. (I'm dyslexic so I didn't figure out that we can still fine tune it. :wacko: )

Oh, and I still think that you guys should check out BOS.

well the engine described isn't as complicated as it sounds. All someone has to do is find the right formula from the 3d matrix stuff and then you can just use that formula. I haven't done it yet just for the simple fact that :) I've had so much math I wanna take a break from it awhile. But in 3d programming you always use that matrix stuff anyways :) so not that big of a deal.