XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Deadline On Release

red knight

Ok, first I would like to know how everything is proceeding... I didnt have comments on programming forums for a long time. I am sorry in advance but these last week and the following 3 I will be working and in the free ours taking a Microsoft .Net course that it is taking all my time. I could barely login last week.

So what do you think if we put a deadline for sunday 24 of november to have the basic layout of the XNet (with a couple of entries), Enter Screen, and Geoscape Screen. Those that have time to program what do you think if we put the whole of our effort in that?

Comments?

Greetings

Red Knight

from graphics end it is doable. Geoscape seems to be prettywell in hand for the UI, Xnet I can slice up easily and the main screen just requires I put the buttons on a separate layer. Don't know about hte programming end though.

Well all I need to do is whip up the Options dialog(s) for the Planetscape UI and I'm all done.

Though I don't have much time to work on it now, got tests these weeks so I gotta study, but I'll see if I can find time to work on it :)

I will make it my aim to help RS provide some CTDs that are complete (and who knows, maybe multiple languages?? :huh:

I bet we can have most (if not all) of the active CTs revised and completed by then :D, welcome back dipstick ;)

Hi,

except that the 24th of November is a Wednesday, I'm fine with that deadline. I'm pretty sure, I can get the X-Net up and running by then.

Concerning the music, I don't know how far guiver6 has advanced on the yake::audio front...

Vaaish, can you send me the final XNet imagery?

Also, has anybody already written a language-string retriever for the language files? I just don't want to reinvent the wheel. If not, I'll see what I can come up with.

Greetings,

Rincewind

I will make it my aim to help RS provide some CTDs that are complete (and who knows, maybe multiple languages?? :huh:

I bet we can have most (if not all) of the active CTs revised and completed by then :D, welcome back dipstick ;)

I have only been away for 4 days!! :blink:

Anyway, I have finally come up with a system that will collate info on various CTDs, and I plan to have at least one CTD translated by the 24th nov - my AIM!! :happybanana: :o

I have only been away for 4 days!! :blink:

Anyway, I have finally come up with a system that will collate info on various CTDs, and I plan to have at least one CTD translated by the 24th nov - my AIM!! :happybanana: :o

4 days?, it felt longer, hadn't seen you around in quite a while... it just felt so empty :boohoo:

Music will be ready this week or the beginning of the next one (it's rather easy, but I haven't time lately due to change of collage and the Real Life ;) ), as to button sfx I'm still looking into it.

Guyver

Musik sounds great.

Concerning the sfx, you might want to look at this thread, maybe revive it. clicky

I think for us the most clean solution would probably be to create a subclass of TLButton and add a static member that contains global listeners. The constructor for the new Button class could then simply register an event handler that forwards to the global listeners.

Another idea is to put it immediatly into the CEGUI source (and then probably do it already in CEGUIButton) but this would require another patch. Currently the cegui runs out of the box, so maybe you can contact crazyEd about whether he would add a patch that implements this approach.

I'm currently a little short on time, otherwise I would offer to do it myself, but if you decide to go ahead with this, I'll try to answer any questions.

Greetings,

Rincewind

Music will be ready this week or the beginning of the next one (it's rather easy, but I haven't time lately due to change of collage and the Real Life ;) ), as to button sfx I'm still looking into it.

Guyver

Musik sounds great.

Concerning the sfx, you might want to look at this thread, maybe revive it. clicky

I think for us the most clean solution would probably be to create a subclass of TLButton and add a static member that contains global listeners. The constructor for the new Button class could then simply register an event handler that forwards to the global listeners.

Another idea is to put it immediatly into the CEGUI source (and then probably do it already in CEGUIButton) but this would require another patch. Currently the cegui runs out of the box, so maybe you can contact crazyEd about whether he would add a patch that implements this approach.

I'm currently a little short on time, otherwise I would offer to do it myself, but if you decide to go ahead with this, I'll try to answer any questions.

Greetings,

Rincewind

not to mess around, but should the music not be made by the music department, no matter who? There absolutely no structure in the development here. Where is Raven Squad?

Greets,

ATeX

not to mess around, but should the music not be made by the music department, no matter who? There absolutely no structure in the development here. Where is Raven Squad?

Greets,

ATeX

I think this is more about the programmatical infrastucture to be actually able to play music not about composing, arranging, etc.

So we'll later just plug in whatever comes out of the music department.

Greetings,

Rincewind

Greets,

ATeX

I think this is more about the programmatical infrastucture to be actually able to play music not about composing, arranging, etc.

So we'll later just plug in whatever comes out of the music department.

Greetings,

Rincewind

ok, no problem... :)

sorry for bothering

Greets,

ATeX

Musik sounds great.

Concerning the sfx, you might want to look at this thread, maybe revive it.  clicky

Greetings,

Rincewind

The inheritance mechanism of OO languages is for customizing, right? :D

So I'd rather go with subclass. And I will go with it :)

As to music, another XML file is on it's way :). But I think that it'll go for next release, becouse we don't have clear requirements about music (what when where) so it's hard to define it now (etc. if we want dynamic music then approach will be more complex than having changable tracks, then I suppose we want to be able to attach sound track to windows/whatever, this implies another changes to UI xml files or another xml file that will bind it together) so fully featured XML schema has to be developed later.

Guyver

EDIT: eh, again... It sounds like I'm planning music for next release, but NO! I'm planning complex music/sfx for next release, simple in-game music player will be available in this week or at the beginning of the next one.

Edited by guyver6

If I get off my butt I might be able to have a simple version of a bugtracker to integrate into the actual executable. I just have to check with Maverick to get the last source that we had worked on.

If nothing else I can work with the people who set up the logging to enable fatal errors to be recorded to a central database for tracking.

• 5 weeks later...

Hm... I think we can't make the release tomorrow. And I think I'll express opinion of most of us that this is not becouse we don't work at all, but this is becouse it outgrowns ourselves. BUT... we're working on xenocide and that's what's good. And to be honest: next release is coming closer and closer and I can feel it :). Anyway keep working friends and we'll release it somewhat later this year.

Greetings

Guyver

EDIT: not xenocide outgrowns ourselves, but the deadline is what became unreachable.

Edited by guyver6

Hm... I think we can't make the release tomorrow. And I think I'll express opinion of most of us that this is not becouse we don't work at all, but this is becouse it outgrowns ourselves. BUT... we're working on xenocide and that's what's good. And to be honest: next release is coming closer and closer and I can feel it :). Anyway keep working friends and we'll release it somewhat later this year.

Greetings

Guyver

EDIT: not xenocide outgrowns ourselves, but the deadline is what became unreachable.

I agree that releasing tomorrow is out of the question, maybe we should gather here how far progress has been made in the different areas and also define what we need from the other departments and who is going to organize getting it.

So here's my status:

X-Net:

- entries are being read from the xnet-xml and shown in the overview under their category

- entry-titles are being translated using the Dictionary-class

- models could be shown and rotated/zoomed, currently there's only a single hardcoded model being loaded

Here's what I still need to do:

- categories are currrently not being translated, need to look them up in the dictionary.

- the model-view has an issue where the textures are missing on some machines, need to investigate

- implement a class that relates entries to models and show those models

- fix the scrollbar for the text-window, currently it works but looks like crap

- get a current xnet.xml with completed CT's from the CTD-department

- get completed models from art and put them in the relation-xml

Also compare the language Strings thread, there it became apparent, that we also need a better thought-out translation handling. We are still looking for volunteers for that task.

So, what about the other areas?

Greetings,

Rincewind

Edited by rincewind

well the Planetscape UI is pretty much done. all that's left to do is this:

- add code to arrow buttons to scroll greenspace text.

- add code for Options window to be movable (i just had a nutty idea on how to do this. anyone knows how i can get the X and Y position of the mouse cursor?)

or does anyone think there's other stuff that should be done to it?

mind you, i didn't do the Video/Sound/Gameplay Options windows, only the main one, because we're probably gonna change them later due to the change to OGRE engine and such.

Edited by SupSuper

- add code for Options window to be movable (i just had a nutty idea on how to do this. anyone knows how i can get the X and Y position of the mouse cursor?)

You could subscribe to the EventMouseMove of the main-window of the options dialog. The EventArgs passed to this function can be cast to MouseEventArgs which can give you the position and also if any mouse-buttons are being pressed.

You might also want to hook up with mamutas on the status of his globe and look into how to integrate it.

Basicly there's two ways, the first one is to make the part of the planetscape GUI where the globe is supposed to be transparent or not have a static-image there at all. The problem then is basicly on how to capture mouse clicks on the globe.

The second strategy involves rendering the globe on a texture and showing that texture on a static-Image widget. This is what I did in the xnet-screen for the model. Just take a look at the code there.

Greetings,

Rincewind

get a current xnet.xml with completed CT's from the CTD-department

reference

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4625

was saving an update for when I could grab a large number of completed texts in one rusty swoop, if you need it anytime soon I could probably have it updated for you about a day after I read "go".

get a current xnet.xml with completed CT's from the CTD-department

reference

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4625

was saving an update for when I could grab a large number of completed texts in one rusty swoop, if you need it anytime soon I could probably have it updated for you about a day after I read "go".

Thanks, I'm already using that one for testing. I think we should wait with the release-one until we are almost done with all the other stuff, this way there's the chance for getting more entries in.

Rincewind

Rincewind, when you identify something that needs to be done... post it in the Briefing Room that is the best way so others know what must be done.

Greetings

Red Knight

PD: Sorry graduation (much family at home) took me by surprise and couldnt log for almost 4 days.