XCOMUFO & Xenocide

The Solution To The X-com Syndrome

Hmyers012683

Hello Everyone,

I am Henry Myers, a long time fan of X-COM. I have recently submitted a request to Atari to either purchase or have the the X-COM title and all code related to the game licensed to myself. :beer:

At this point, you might be asking yourself is this guy serious, or why would he do such a thing. :huh?:

I want to ensure you that this is real, and that I have requested to purchase or license X-COM for whatever amount Atari and myself can agree upon.

I am doing this so I can get over my own case of X-COM syndrome, but I had to understand what caused it. I have finally came to this understanding what caused it in myself and many others. We have it because in our minds the game never really ended. So, I have plans on creating a new X-COM game that would truly end the series, and help us put it to rest.

We all know how X-Com: UFO Defense and X-Com: Terror From the Deep End. Well this installation takes place after Terror from the Deep. After a through investigation of T'leth, The newly formed Human Coalition has discovered a new planet with the alien menace on it, and they have decided to go on the offensive and destroy the alien menace where ever they might be in the Galaxy.......................

And that is the begining of X-COM: The Human Offensive :o and the end of mine and possible many other peoples X_COM syndrome.

The basic game play is simple enough.

The player starts on Earth and builds an attack fleet to destroy the alien menace planetary fleet, a conquest army to overtake the planet, and settlers to etablish a base/economy on the planet.

The twist then begins once the first planet has been taken over, The X-COM group then discovers other planets in what turns out to be an all out galatic war, and we are the newcomers to it.

The X-COM group then forms friendships with alien races that have been fighting the race like we have. Some of them are more advanced then us and some are not. You didn't think we were the only ones, did you? :spank:

At the end you finally get the menaces homeworld and then................You didn't actually thought I would give away the ending did you?

New game features included

1. Commanding a stellar/galatic battle group

2. Commanding a front Line offensive

3. Overtaking an alien base: Instead of destroying it

4. Etablishing interstellar trade between colonies and other aliens

5. Commencing and overseeing Intergalatic Negotiations

6. Multi-Player game play

7. Online game play

All together an X-COM sequel worthy of the 21st centuries greatest X-COM game title, but I need your help. I like what all the X-COM fans have have done, and I am willing to hire the programmers that have made such things as Xenocide, UFO2000, X-Force, Ufo: Alien Invasion, Talon, and X-COM.NET a reality. So, I am asking all these programmers to step up and take their place not as devoted fans but as some of the 21st centuries greatest programmers.

So, if you are ready just drop me a line at [email protected]. It might take me a day or two to get back to you but I will. :wave:

Well... Interesting idea... I'm not entirely convinced it's a good idea though... It looks like it branches out too much from the XCOM universe we all know and love, so a remake of the original might be preferable IMHO...

If you want to make a test bench to see if the concept works, you might want to try making a big MOD for Space Empires IV... That might show if it feels right or not IMHO.

• 2 months later...

While your commitment to and passion for the game is admirable, I can't help but feel that your plans are abit premature. First, you would have to secure the rights to X-Com. Atari (or whoever has the rights) would have to be willing to sell them, and you would have to have enough money to buy them. I must admit, I do not know much about you so I balk at the idea that you have enough money to buy the rights and hire on the programmers.

You would have to be a millionaire, or be the head of a decent software company to pull that off. Since most of us us the internet as our primary collaboration (indeed we are a multinational force ;) ), I have to ask: do you have dedicated production servers? A distribution network? Do you have a pulisher interested in the final product? In other words: do you have the money, equipment, and backing to undertake this project?

If so, I would be the first to sign up on this project and bend all of my talents (I am proficient in C++, 3d object desgin, and sound production) towards the completion of your project.

I just want some info as to how you could pull this off.

I've never played TFTD but one of the things about UFO that I really like/respect is that there is no interstellar travel. How the Aliens got here (i.e. to Cydonia) is a mystery - it is clear that if they did arrive here by way of an epic interstellar journey in the distant past, it was a one way trip (which adds a kind of poignancy to the game, for me at least).

The game even holds out the tantalizing possibility that the Aliens evolved here on Earth! Implausible? Sure it's implausible, but so is interstellar travel. Which scenario is less implausible?

• 4 months later...
I would guess he either never got a response, or his request was denied.

Either that or they said "Sure! 20 million dollars please!" to which he replied "Oh! Umm I was thinking like 500."

What i wonder is why you can't even find xcom games on their site anymore.

You can find a list with all their games but xcom is not in it.

So if they don't even think it is worth putting it in their list why wouldn't they just sell the source code?

http://www.microprose.com/

--> Brings you on Atari website

Or am I wrong and do they have another website?

It's always possible they just plain LOST the source. That crap happens when company buyouts happen. :Brickwall:

But rather then just not responding, I wish they would just go and say "OK, do what you want with the name and old data.". Stubborn suits :angry: