XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Do you load often?

Timil

400 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

When I first played Tftd together with a friend, it was the first xcom game we played, and there were times when we reloaded each time a shot missfired!!! :) We lost that game cause we were clueless on how to play it properly and when lobstermen apeared we kinda had problems with getting them to die. We hadn't a single alien weapon at our disposal and we were fighting them with rockets, because that was the strongest thing we had. (didn't know about their resistance to HE ^^)

Later we played a game with money cheat but without saving. And after that we played a game without money cheat and without loading except if we lost more than X percent of soldiers in a mission. We split the soldiers in half and half were for him and half for me. At a certain stage in the game both of us had a few supersoldiers and lots of mediocre soldiers and newbies. We moved all the supersoldiers into one base and there we loaded after each death. But we had a rule. If someone's soldier died and the game had to be loaded, that soldier wasn't allowed to play for the remainder of the mission. :)

And that's sorta still how I play today. Except on colony missions, when I want to kill every alien for the money.

EDIT: Oh yeah, even the missions were I don't reload, I still reload if my men get shot in the first turn due to reaction fire of aliens waiting outside the Triton shooting anyone who comes out. I really hate when that happens. :(

Edited by Yoni

Woah, that's loading often! :blink:

Even if you have an elite squad, you should always include a few expendible units. They could be rookie, tank, or Mind-controlled alien. You won't have to load so much, if you have your rookies in the front lines to die.

Think of it as a human shield for your elite units. :)

I don't get how the game can be exciting if you reload every time something goes wrong? But that's just me. I lose at least 100 soldiers in every game and in every damn game I still have rookies when I go to cydonia :D Mostly because even if few elite soldiers have survived a bit longer and have great stats, it's 95% sure they are the ones who gets the worst psi strength..

:cussing:

i play with my sarge and my commander ( :wub: "david day" :wub: ) he has been wounded like 6 times!?!? and allways hits?!?! the rest of the squad tend to be rookies/squadee's who i dont mind dying but if david day should die its 1st kill that alien skum slowly then reload, i just cant bear to lose him, he got wounded in the chest 4 times and still took out 4 sectiods and survived :rock: while every other ranking officer died :boohoo: , im way to attached to him for him to dye and he's to good not to fight with!?!

• 1 month later...

I play on superhuman and I reload. Well, I reload not to revive soldiers. Instead, I reload to replay a mission - even if I had a perfect run or even if I was left with one soldier with 1HP and 10 critical wounds. I call these training missions.

Training sessions are fun and you can test theoretical strategies and different weapon setups to your hearts content without feeling bad about it if your pet soldier kicks the bucket.

It's a good way to get yourself back into things after you've left the game for a while - or if you're playing the game for the first time.

Reloading to revive a soldier is not really the way to go in X-Com. One good way to avoid this habit is to rely more on strategy (and knowledge of your tools and your enemies) rather than to rely on super-soldiers.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 3 months later...

In general, there are only two times when I reload.

A. Blaster Bomb goes careening in the wrong direction (lost a whole skyranger to that crap once)

B. I lose my best soldier ('UltimaWeapon' I call him, mwahahahaha)

Throughout the whole game, I only had to use my 'Time Machine' for his sake twice.

Since you people are so hooked on 'loading is cheating! loading is cheating!' one day I will go through the whole game without loading. Heh.

Sometimes, however, it is nice to have a time machine to warp you back to the 'good ole days'

Outside of the battlescape, however, I sometimes load if I send out the skyranger and the target takes off before it gets there (it is the base defense paranoia. If I lose my base, I'll be damned if it is lost because the skyranger was out).

• 3 weeks later...

I usually don't reload, except these cases:

- If I lose a mission or either a good soldier or a soldier I love :wub: because of some non tactical error. Like clicking in a red 1 to center on the alien and the solider going to it running out of TUs. Or things like that.

- If there's some bug preventing me to have full opportunities (like having mroe than half of my troops isolated in disconnected parts of my base)

- And if I lose many of my loved soldiers and I'm in bad mood (when I've played for a while and I'm starting to be tired).

- And some missions that I saved before to stop playing, but say "let's try a crazy tactic mission" and I lose it. But I do also if I win it. I swear.

- And in beginner when I found with my mind probe a commander outside the command room. (That bug of the blaster launcher that makes him blow himself and low probability of finding him outside again made me do that.)

The next game, now I'm in experienced will be superhuman and no reload at all, even if there's a bug. As I say with team sports: your team has to be good, and if it's the best, it will win to anyone and against any referee's error.

Edited by Admiral Harkov

I've started the superhuman campaign and didn't reloaded when I got those errors of clicking for change soldier but instead that the selected soldiers walks where he hasn't to.

Anyway I think I'll maintain that of the if I have commander out of commander room, save and reload until I catch him. Maybe I get some criteria on how do the mission to give myself it with a game editor. e.g. "I shall win the mission with less that x(%) losses" or "I have to find a leader" or some who is not so many times there.

• 2 months later...
OMG 15 people voted reload on each human death. I can't beleive it. You guys suck donkey

:pink:

I reload on each death - can't be bothered to train up new people all the time... =)

And I play on the beginner difficulty too =p first time on like 8 years I've even looked at this game :unsure: speaking of which - nice forums; I am amazed to see that so many people are still playing this :blink:

*sticks around*

• 3 weeks later...

I don't reload the normal missions (more often than not, anyway, and I'm trying to be good about it) but...

The terror missions are tough and the penalty for ignoring one is so ridiculously harsh, I don't take them seriously. I treat them all like they're live fire training exercises! I always send my greenest newbies to the latest terror mission so they can get some "basic training"!

• 3 weeks later...
:WTF: :WTF: :WTF: OMG The game has reloaded it!!! With xcomutil, I kill two chryssalids in a turn, aliens move and do nothing, one soldier is unconscious and probably will die, then the abandon mission screen appears, it seems the game is goint back to windows... but then it reloads in the beginning of my turn and repeat, but this time the aliens kill one of my soldiers, more exactly, the soldier most dangerous for them. So I've strick back and shut down the game and will reload at them. :devillaugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I only reload if I make a HUGE tatical error(i.e. the previously mentioned "rocket error") or if one of my soldiers goes bezerk and kills off my entire squad. I find that unfair, as neither myself nor the aliens did anything DIRECTLY(as in no mind control, no choice on who or where to shoot) to cause the death of my entire squad. One reason I never use Rocket Launchers - that's what the HWPs are for....

=b

HWPs can panic too you know...

They can? :blink:

I've gotten a lot better about reloading. In fact I sometimes play all the way through a battle without even thinking to save once, which gets really annoying if some snakeman chucks a grenade and instantly crashes the game to the desktop. One time this happened and my most recent save file was about five days previous to where I had been...

I've got to be more diligent about saving the game. If some nutjob newb fires a heavy laser 50 degrees from the target and drills a soldier kneeling beside him, I want to reload!

• 3 months later...
I used to reload whenever anything goes wrong :) but recently I started a game with a very strict "no reload" policy, and I found it to be much more fun. it can be frustrating, though, but the suspense factor is really cool... no more "I'll just run forward until I spot an alien, if it shoots me, I'll just reload and throw a grenade in the general direction"... :D

Reloading is for pansies. :chickenrun:

Refusing to reload forces you to learn TACTICS... After you lose a buttload of guys to a nade or gunfire in the alien's turn a few dozen times, you say to yourself "Hey..I should spread out and have some reaction troops for cover..." :cussing:

"I think there's an alien over there"

*Throws HE pack*

BOOOM!!!RAWR!!!!! :devillaugh:

Yep I don't see whats wrong with using an incendiary or large rocket on any area or structure which is suspect. mmmmuuhahahahaha and as I've said many times reloading takes the fun out of the game. It is cheating.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest Genericata
I only make a single save while on the Battlescape, and that's on the first round. It's my self-imposed "iron-man" mode of playing. It does lead to a lot of wasted time as I do entire missions over again because I lose someone. But it makes alien encounters a lot more exciting.

So, NRN_R_Sumo1, what are your strategies at coping with the frustration that may occur whenever the game crashes after several hours of great playing? It might not happen much, but that doesn't mean that it will not.

As for myself, I can't cope with it very well, and just throw my arms up in frustration and go and do something else for a while. Frequent saving in this respect helps a lot. Problem is, I keep forgetting to do this. :)

I suppose this would be more directed towards X-Com UFO and TFTD, which were prone to mysterious crashes. Apocaylpse was fairly stable so you could play straight without having to make periodic saves. Done a few myself - but I couldn't possibly do the same with UFO/TFTD.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

Well, fact is Nkf.

Its only a game.. ^.^'..

I could screw up so many worse things.. aha

Like Shaving for example!

I could decide to use a straight razor and forget the shaving cream, so Id end up slitting my throat :O

Life is more serious than a game, so for games I basically just dont care :)

You can always hire more agents anyways.

The equipment on the agents is more precious to me than their lives, as it is very often I have run out of fire arms. ^^'..

I know it's a game, but we're still human and we still frustrate in any failed endeavours, be it of a fictional nature, or at life. How do we cope with that? ;)

But my question was, how do you handle or avoid losing several hours of game time due to something that wasn't your fault? That's where saving regularly comes in handy. I don't mean using save-reload immortality to return the lives of agents you've lost - that's another can of worms.

- NKF

• 3 weeks later...

For the most part, I reload only after crashes. Those are frequent on base defenses, so what I do is to save in the very beginning of the defense, and then use 3 separate slots for saving during them and then rotate the saves between them (I always save at the beginning of the turn). So if it keeps crashing at the same turn, I go back to a turn before, or the turn before that. If nothing works, then I try to reload the base defense from the beginning.

It has come to my attention that these crashes are often not random, though I wouldn't know what exactly causes them.

For instance, I've had a particularly annoying base defense recently, which kept crashing no matter what I did. Finally, I realized that there was a sectoid which seems to have somehow caused it. He was located on the ground floor in the Hyperwave Decoder block. And just before the game crash I would hear a shot fired. Still, I have no idea if the shot was the cause, because it always happens prior to the crash in base defense missions and also, he couldn't see any of my soldiers, because I hid them in the rooms. By the way, is hiding your soldiers in rooms on base defense missions a cowardly tactic, or is somebody else using it as well?

I also noticed crashes on crashed UFOs missions, when I send the left soldier closest to the ramp one square in front of him, i.e. on the ramp. Anyone else have this happen to him?

Hello everyone. I recently got back into the game, after a couple of years. I couldn't get the CE to work with my new flatscreen monitor :huh?: but I located an uncorrupted DOS version 1.2 which I was easily able to patch up to 1.4 (and then I spent a few weeks hacking XComUtils to make it a more challenging game).

It is now June, and I haven't taken on a Terror Mission yet. I always land and then dust off.

I try to play ironman, but I did reload a couple of weeks ago:

Still in the shadow of the Skyranger, one of my rocket troops (I always have two per squad) took a reaction shot at a floater which was firing from a top window of a farm building, and she somehow managed to fire the rocket directly into the ground in front of her feet, killing herself and everyone else within 10 meters or so. WTF

Now I am paranoid with those crazy rocket rangers. If it is forest terrain, I don't even bother with them; I have them drop their launchers and just stay in the Skyranger. Otherwise.... well I guess I could have them unload the launchers and run around holding the launcher in one hand and a rocket in the other, but then if there is a turn when they actually want to fire at an alien (or the corner of a building) they waste valuable TUs preparing to fire.

So now, each turn just before I hit the "next turn" button, as a failsafe against unauthorized rocket launches, I make my rocket troops do a few knee bends! Kneel stand kneel stand kneel etc. One and two and one and two and one and.... :D

Edited by teukros

Friendly fire reaction rockets are just bogus (switching the active weapon to a sidearm prevents this). No loss of honor loading there. Likewise with a dosbox lag misclick that makes you march your commander through a gauntlet of plasma, because you accidentally clicked one square next to that squaddie on the front line, because dosbox takes 1 second to realize you just moved the mouse. Sometimes a blaster bomb flies into the Skyranger on turn 1, and it really pisses you off. The blaster tank is notorious for misfiring over large distances, and you may even be forced to load as a result of kicking your computer and accidentally stubbing your toe on the power button.

Unless you want to fire your rocket and do a bit of sprinting on the side, there's generally no real penalty for loading the rocket you wish to use on the same turn that you use it, if you decide to stay on the same spot you were at the start of the turn.

One good way to avoid these mishaps (especially nasty with the blaster launcher - rare though it may be), is to use rocket launcher soldiers in a purely sniping capacity. That is, they hang back while the spotters rush on ahead to paint the targets for them.

Also, in heavy vegitation - don't hesitate to use the very same weapon you're worried about to make it safe again. ;)

- NKF

I have to agree with the sniping capacity rocket launchers completely. x;

both in Rebelstar and in Apoc does it only make sense to do this. o:

Well, Actually in Apoc its okay to do rapid fire at times since the rockets Do have an unintelligent seeking ability. :D

Trees and walls, Annoying as they may be.

I still lurrrbbb them for giving cover x;

platforms are rawksome too. chasing aliens onto them with stun guns and power swords, then blowing out the bottom with a grenade or rockets <3

• 1 month later...
I don't care who it was or how it happened; I have OCD. If even one of my guys drowns in his own crimson puddle, I always reload from my last save point. I also tend to save each turn in a different slot. If he's just wounded, I use the Medkit, but sometimes I'll still reload. It depends on the situation.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Such peer pressure! I save often and reload if someone dies.

I have OCD when it comes to getting my soldiers to have the best firing accuracy and reactions. I don't reload too often since my skills are decent.

I love it when I get to a point in the game where my reactions are very high and the aliens attack my base. I force the aliens to come through a choke point (the access lift with the hanger on the other side) I just leave my 3 or 4 soldiers crouched or standing to guard the hallway. The aliens come walking in and their dead bodies start to stack up on top of each other as I start to mow them down. Or I like to send a blaster bomb to explode on the center of the hanger and see how many screams I can hear :yarr:

TfTd and apocalypse are even harder if you don't save. Interceptor is real time so I didn't save.