XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Win7 x64 + CE version

Guest paappo

Guest paappo

Hi guys, the search doesn't seem to work. It just throws an error message, so just point to appropriate thread if possible.

So, I (again) dug up x-com CE from a deep hole. Last time I played it was on the exact same build that I have now. Only exception is that I run x64 instead of x86 win 7.

I tried multiple solutions and can't think of anything what's wrong..

Problem: After executing .exe (or whatever .bat .exe comes with the loaders/utils), black screen and nothing else. No sound, no ctrl-alt-del, no alt-tab, no win-tab. It just freezes, no error message, nothing. Only thing that helps is rebooting.

I tried:

- xcomvistafix

- ufoloader

- xcomutil 9.7

- this guide

- vanilla

- xcomvistafix + xcomutil

- ufoloader + xcomvistafix

- at this point I removed my fist from the keyboard

- double checked VC2008 that it is installed (got both x86 and x64 apparently)

Each time I tried them on an vanilla install. So not on top of each other.

I got x86 win7 too, but.. so much work to install it and all.. :P Hope I didn't leave something out.

Dosbox is for Dos. CE is windows program. Dosbox wont help with CE xcom.

- I have win 7 (32).

- It works fine for me ONLY if i use lastest UFO Extender.

- But i didnt ever got the mp3 music to work!

- If you dont have that runtime or something of Visual C you wont get a hang up, but instead, a "program is not configured properly, try reinstalling" kinda error message when you launch it. If you dont get it, then you must have that runtime installed all right.

- Do not use "skip intro" and do not use "mp3 music" and see if it works then

- Try to Install it like this:

a) Install UFO:EU from CE into a clean new folder

B) unzip UFO Extender into the directory with the game (use default ini file that comes with the zip)

c) edit ufoextender ini file, and be sure to set

- ) HQ4x=0

- ) D3D=1

btw you can try those two other way around, hq to 1 and d3d to 0

- ) Skip Intro=0

and under [Music]

- ) Apply=0

d) run UfoExtender.exe

If it does not work, try using compatibility modes on the ufoextender.exe file or maybe running it as administrator.

Edited by Istrebitel

Aggh.. no no no.. Tried them, still the same result.

Uninstalled all visual c++ installs, removed from registry, installed again visual c++ -> same black freeze.

I even got desperate and spent 5 bucks on a steam version, but it does the same black freeze. LOL WTF

Who is running win7 x64 and with what configurations? dos/win version? loaders ? what, please tell me.

Sorry i wanst of much help :(

Did you just tried xcomutil's function that changes the modes? I mean, it tells you "you need to fix compatibility otherwise youd get black screen" did you try yes at taht screen?

Did you try "Direct x window launcher" thingie from japan or korean makers? I dunno how its called, i've seen it on this forum, and on ufopaedia or something... its a program that somehow makes old DX programs run in a window w/o problems... I can try and look for it...

I suggest the x64 might be the culprit. Really alot of problems happen with trying to run something old on x64...

PS: Btw, after having some Win7 torture, i am personally finally definetly screwing that and getting back to XP. Win7 just plainly sucks. I cannot play Parkan (great russian Elite-like freeform space sim game). I cannot play Space Rangers 2 (another great space game). It emulates XP compatibility mode WORSE than even crappy Vista did! It just sucks. What in return? Interface... LOL. Ubuntu Linux has 100 times better interface, you can set your screen on fire, your windows transform and vaporise etc.

Bottom line - i'd suggest a radical step: go back to windows XP, at least install it as dualboot. If i am right, you can install 32bit OS on 64bit processor. Then, just have fun with all those games without those damn problems

PSS: I'd actually vote against buying anything especially from Steam. Since they actually just own "rights" and contribute nothing to what they sell. They didnt make X-Com nor they give ANY support for it (they even scam you telling you that Interceptor works on xp and up while it DOES NOT since you cannot complete the game beacuse of alien probe bug and they do NOTHING to fix either list of OS'es or the bug itself, still they charge you for the game, while russian hackers did the fix for free, but they didnt even care to include it with the game LOL, moreover, their sucky shitty steam app does not work on win98 which is the only os where Interceptor they sell natively works, so you have to hack the game to make it work w/o steam... why bother paying them?)

If you wanna contribute to those who made the game, you cant anymore :( Unfortunately :(

I came up with a lazy solution. I installed win7x64 on my laptop and now it runs just fine. I'll play on nightshift anyways so.. actually this works better for me :)