XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Laser Cannon

Ancalagon

That's what I said, but the capacitors, as always, would be internal, this generator is external.

There's still one problem with this.

Sometimes I intercept only one UFO, sometimes more.

The interceptor have 100 shots when it leaves the base, it can shoot 100 times against only one ship and return empty home, or it can shoot 10 time against one UFO, wait for 2 hours and intercept another UFO, having the other 90 shots. It's not incresing to 91 shots, even if you wait for a day, unless it's charging at the base.

So saying it's charging in flight it is not reflected at all during gameplay.

Let's see.... a few changes. Keep what you like :)

[LASER CANNON]

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Armament/Laser Cannon

Despite the successful application of the rail-cannon, the "Titan" and the "Sidewinder" missiles, all of them have major drawbacks and limitations. The cannon is extremely short-ranged and inaccurate in aerial engagements with Alien ships, rendering it effective only against the smaller classes of UFOs. Also, both standard missile systems had low rate of fire (ROF) and could carry very few missiles, while the missiles themselves are expensive and bulky, requiring large amounts of storage space.

After designing more and more powerful laser weaponry, X-Corps’ scientists realized that laser systems had become effective enough to be practical in aerial combat due to their superb armor piercing capabilities. A powerful enough laser-based weapon would effectively have more ammunition than a cannon, be as powerful and accurate as a Sidewinder, but without the need for a guidance systems.

"It's like shooting fish in a barrel compared to the old cannon system" -veteran pilot Jim Lumbeck.

With smaller laser weapons used by X-Corps infantry, beam dispersion is virtually negligible at the ranges required on the battlefield. In the larger craft-mounted version, the laser beams must travel many times further, and focal imperfections would result in the energy being scattered long before the beam reached its target. By using additional focusing diamond lenses in our craft-mounted laser cannons, however, beam dispersion is kept to a minimum: at 21 kilometers, the laser beam’s deviation is still within five centimeters.

The laser cannon is powered by an array of high-performance capacitors which are charged in X-Corps bases prior to each sortie. In field trials, the laser cannon has been able to burn 10 centimeter holes through 15 centimeter steel plates with only a 40 milisecond burst, and depending on the length of the burst, holes up to half a meter wide have been burned out of steel.

X-Corps’ pilots and maintenance crews alike cannot wait to install this new laser armament on all available fighter craft. However, there have been complaints from field operatives. "First they make a laser more powerful than my gun, then they tell me I can't use it, what's the deal with that anyway?" –Private Sam Dodge

In the first paragraph, even if missile is used twice, it still sounds natural to me...

Edited by dan2

Guest Azrael
That's what I said, but the capacitors, as always, would be internal, this generator is external.

There's still one problem with this.

Sometimes I intercept only one UFO, sometimes more.

The interceptor have 100 shots when it leaves the base, it can shoot 100 times against only one ship and return empty home, or it can shoot 10 time against one UFO, wait for 2 hours and intercept another UFO, having the other 90 shots. It's not incresing to 91 shots, even if you wait for a day, unless it's charging at the base.

So saying it's charging in flight it is not reflected at all during gameplay.

*slaps head* Sorry, wrong thread :bash: Ignore moi, s'il vous plaît.

Guest Azrael

Ok, as you ask... :naughty:

edit: removed your post, eh? :NyaNyaNya:

[LASER CANNON]

Despite the successful application of the 1rail-cannon, the "Titan" and the "Sidewinder" missiles, all of them have major drawbacks and limitations. The cannon is extremely short-ranged and inaccurate in aerial engagements with Alien ships, rendering it effective only against the smaller classes of UFOs. Also, both standard missile systems 2had low rate of fire 3(ROF) and 2'could carry very few missiles, while the missiles themselves are expensive and bulky, requiring large amounts of storage space.

1. Careful, our current cannon text I think doesn't mention being a railgun, didn't we mention this before?

2. These words in present, the weapons still exist and are likely still in use. "Have low rate of fire..." "Can carry few missiles..."

3. Unnecessary unless you mention ROF again, which you don't :)

After 1designing more and more powerful laser weaponry, 2X-Corps’ scientists realized that laser systems had become effective enough to be practical in aerial combat due to their superb armor piercing capabilities. A 3powerful enough laser-based weapon would effectively 4have more ammunition than a cannon 5and be as powerful and accurate as a Sidewinder, but without the need for 6a guidance systems.

"It's like shooting fish in a barrel compared to the old cannon system" -veteran pilot Jim Lumbeck.

1. Sounds odd, maybe something in the line of "With the development of increasingly more powerful laser weaponry..." ?

2. Redundant, this report is for the X-Corps by the X-Corps, no need to clarify that the scientists are X-Corps. I suggest something like "Our Research Division..."

3. Repeatitive, I'd prefer a synonym for powerful, like "strong" "potent"... can't think of any cool synonyms at the time :P

4. I think "more ammunition" sounds a little too trivial for a weapon that has effectively infinite ammunition. Maybe something like "... would effectively have ammunition enough to last for the duration of any aerial engagement conceivable, in opposition to the cannon's limited usefulness for extended periods of time", maybe I'm just ranting :P

5. This "and" was missing, added it.

6. "guidance systems" is plural, remove the "a".

In smaller laser weapons used by X-Corps infantry, beam dispersion is virtually negligible at the ranges required on the battlefield. In the larger craft-mounted version, the laser beams must 1travel many times further, and focal imperfections would result in the energy being scattered long before the beam reached its target. By using additional focusing diamond lenses in our craft-mounted laser cannons, however, beam dispersion is kept to a minimum 2: at 21 kilometers 3, the laser beam’s deviation is still within five centimeters.

1. This phrase just seems wrong, but I can't put my finger in it, any comments from someone else?

2. 3. I suggest changing it for "...minimum of 21 kilometers with the laser beam's deviation still within five centimeters"

The laser cannon is powered by an array of high-performance capacitors which are charged in X-Corps bases prior to each sortie. In field trials, the laser cannon has been able to burn 10 centimeter holes through 15 centimeter steel plates with only a 40 milisecond burst, and depending on the length of the burst, holes up to half a meter wide have been burned out of steel. 1

1. How about a short (or long, as you prefer) comment about how we still don't know how the laser cannon will fare against an UFO hull?

X-Corps’ pilots and maintenance crews alike cannot wait to install this new laser armament on all available fighter craft. However, there have been complaints from field operatives. "First they make a laser more powerful than my gun, then they tell me I can't use it, what's the deal with that anyway?" –Private Sam Dodge

This fluff seems... wrong... I think I already made comments about it...

Nice work :)

Edited by Azrael

I included most suggestions from Azrael, another paragraph at the end will be added a bit later.

[LASER CANNON]

Despite the successful application of our standard sub weaponry like the "Titan" and the "Sidewinder" missile systems or the Cannon, there are still major drawbacks and limitations in their usage. The cannon is extremely short-ranged and inaccurate, rendering it effective only against small UFOs. Also, both standard missile systems have inadequate fire rates and can carry very few bulky and expensive missiles, which swamp the available storage space.

With the development of increasingly more powerful laser weaponry, our scientists realized that laser systems have become effective enough to be practical in aerial combat due to their superb armor piercing capabilities. A strong laser-based weapon would have more shots than a cannon and be as powerful and accurate as a Sidewinder, without the need for any guidance systems.

The beam dispersion is virtually negligible for distances involved in firing X-Corps infantry laser weapons on the battlefield. In the larger craft-mounted version, the laser beam must propagate a far longer distance, and any minute focal imperfections would scatter its energy long before it reaches the target. By using additional focusing diamond lenses in our craft-mounted laser cannons, however, the beam dispersion is minimized so efficiently that its deviation is still within five centimeters for targets as far as 21 kilometers.

The laser cannon is powered by an array of high-performance capacitors which are charged in X-Corps bases prior to each mission. The efficacy of the Laser Cannon was thoroughly tested in field trials, when it was able to burn 10 centimeter holes through 15 centimeter steel plates with only a 40 milisecond burst, and by extending the length of the burst, holes up to half a meter deep.

"First they make a laser more powerful than my gun, then they tell me I can't use it, what's the deal with that anyway?" –Private Sam Dodge trying to convince his superiors he's strong enough to carry a laser cannon on the battlefield

Edited by dan2

• 2 weeks later...

red additions, yellow deletions (if not replaced by red), and green comments.

[LASER CANNON]

Despite the successful application of our standard sub weaponry like the"Titan" and the "Sidewinder" missile systems or the cannon, there are still major drawbacks and limitations in their usage. The cannon is extremely short-ranged and inaccurate, rendering it effective only against small UFOs. Also, both standard missile systems have inadequate fire rates and can carry very few bulky and expensive missiles, which swamp the available storage space.

With the development of increasingly more powerful laser weaponry, our scientists realized that laser systems have become effective enough to be practical in aerial combat due to their superb armor piercing capabilities. A strong laser-based weapon would have more shots than a cannon, and be as powerful and accurate as a Sidewinder, without the need for any guidance systems. [huh? It doesn't need any guidance?]

The beam dispersion is virtually negligible for distances involved in firing X-Corps infantry laser weapons on the battlefield. In the larger craft-mounted version, the laser beam must propagate a far longer distance, and any minute focal imperfections would scatter its energy long before it reaches the target. By using additional focusing diamond lenses in our craft-mounted laser cannons, however, the beam dispersion is minimized so efficiently that its deviation is still within five centimeters for targets as far as 21 kilometers.

The laser cannon is powered by an array of high-performance capacitors, which are charged back in the X-Corps bases prior to each mission. The efficiency of the laser cannon was thoroughly tested in field trials, where it was able to burn a 10 centimeter holes through a 15 centimeter steel plates with only a 40 millisecond burst. By extending the length of the burst to several seconds, it could burn holes up to half a meter deep. However, the laser cannon isn't able to maintain such a beam for longer periods, and would melt down the cannon if it was to be attempted.

"First they make a laser more powerful than my gun, then they tell me I can't use it, what's the deal with that anyway?" –Private Sam Dodge trying to convince his superiors he's strong enough to carry a laser cannon on the battlefield

Edited by mikker

Guest Azrael

Please explain your deletions, mikker, so dan2 can understand them better :) I don't think deleting "Sidewinder" and "Titan" is necessary, but what is "standard sub weaponry"?

[huh? It doesn't need any guidance?]
By "guidance system" I think he means the guidance & tracking systems in a missile, the laser beams just.. go in straight line. I assume that's that :)

I suggest removing "X-Corps" from the fourth paragraph, it's kinda redundant.

oh, I simply deleted the missile names because it still made sence without them, and because it made the sentence a bit long and entangling.

As for guidance, I deleted it because it confused the player more then it helped. Just say 'as a missile' and you're good :)

Didn't see the sub weapons thing. Good catch.

Edited by mikker

Building off of mikker's comment, why not chop off more to make it even simpler? Add "craft" to distinguish between vehicle and soldier weapons, and it's ready to go! :)

Despite the successful application of our standard sub weaponry like the "Titan" and the "Sidewinder" missile systems or the Cannon, there are still major drawbacks and limitations in their usage.
Despite the successful application of our standard craft weapons, there are still major drawbacks and limitations in their usage.

In the second paragraph, I was thinking of changing "more shots" to something more, I dunno, elegant (if you're Astyanax), or complicated (if you're not). Maybe clarifying the guidance system part would help?

A strong laser-based weapon would have more shots than a cannon and be as powerful and accurate as a Sidewinder, without the need for any guidance systems.
A strong laser-based weapon would be as powerful and accurate as a Sidewinder, without ammunition constraints or costly, on-board guidance systems.
Edited by Astyanax

• 6 months later...

I tried to incorporate everyone's suggestions and here's what I got :)

[LASER CANNON]

Despite the successful application of our standard craft weapons, there are still major drawbacks and limitations in their usage. The cannon is extremely short-ranged and inaccurate, rendering it effective only against small UFOs. Also, both standard missile systems have inadequate fire rates and can carry very few bulky and expensive missiles, which swamp the available storage space. The main limitation, though, is the inadequate destructive capability of these conventional weapons.

With the development of increasingly more powerful laser weaponry, our scientists realized that laser systems have become effective enough to be practical in aerial combat due to their superb armor piercing capabilities. A strong laser-based weapon would have more shots than a cannon, and be as powerful and accurate as a Sidewinder, without the constraints of using amunition or expensive on-board guidance systems.

The laser cannon is powered by an array of high-performance capacitors which are charged back in the base prior to each mission. The efficiency of the laser cannon was thoroughly tested in several field trials, where it was able to burn in average holes 10 centimeters wide through a steel plate with the thickness of 15 centimeters using only 40 millisecond bursts. By extending the length of the burst to several seconds, it could burn holes up to half a meter deep. However, the laser cannon isn't able to maintain safely a beam for longer periods, because of overheating problems and eventual melt down of the components if it was to be attempted.

Edited by dan2

"The laser cannon is powered by an array of high-performance capacitors which are charged back in the base prior to each mission. The efficiency of the laser cannon was thoroughly tested in several field trials, where it was able to burn in average holes 10 centimetres wide through a steel plate with the thickness of 15 centimetres using only 40 millisecond bursts. By extending the length of the burst to several seconds, it could burn holes up to half a meter deep. However, the laser cannon isn't able to maintain safely a beam for longer periods, because of overheating problems and eventual melt down of the components if it was to be attempted."

That colour part makes no sense. A burst with constant intensity would burn a amount of armour proportionate with time of the burst (assuming little or no delay). The statement implies that a longer burst would have a less intensity, the problem without that however is that in laser technology, energy is preserved.

So assuming a burst is the effect of a single constant quantity of energy, extending the the burst should have no effect on the amount of the burned armor(assuming the burst length stays within a reasonable frame of time)

Assuming the constant intensity, the amount of armour burned would be proportional with the length of the burst.

Edited by Qonfused

"The laser cannon is powered by an array of high-performance capacitors which are charged back in the base prior to each mission. The efficiency of the laser cannon was thoroughly tested in several field trials, where it was able to burn in average holes 10 centimetres wide through a steel plate with the thickness of 15 centimetres using only 40 millisecond bursts. By extending the length of the burst to several seconds, it could burn holes up to half a meter deep. However, the laser cannon isn't able to maintain safely a beam for longer periods, because of overheating problems and eventual melt down of the components if it was to be attempted."

That colour part makes no sense. A burst with constant intensity would burn a amount of armour proportionate with time of the burst (assuming little or no delay). The statement implies that a longer burst would have a less intensity, the problem without that however is that in laser technology, energy is preserved.

So assuming a burst is the effect of a single constant quantity of energy, extending the the burst should have no effect on the amount of the burned armor(assuming the burst length stays within a reasonable frame of time)

Assuming the constant intensity, the amount of armour burned would be proportional with the length of the burst.

I'm confused, as I read it, it says that in only 40 miliseconds (maybe too little?) it was able to burn 10 cm wide holes. (why "wide" and not "deep"?)

"The efficiency of the laser cannon was thoroughly tested in several field trials, where it was able to burn 10 centimetre wide holes through a steel plate, using only 40 millisecond bursts."

Is this better perhaps?

The width of the hole stays pretty constant, 10 centimetres, but the deepness varies with the burst time length.

The longer the laser shines on a spot, the deeper it vaporizes and penetrates.

The scientist used 15 centimetres steel plates and they found out they need 40 milisecond bursts to punch a hole through. When the burst was longer, the deepness went up to half a metre.

But the width stays about the same, varying only with the magnitude of the vibrations that affect the weapons during the flight.

Of course, the more oppinions on this, the better

Edited by dan2

I think the bursts should be inside a window of milliseconds, as it’s unrealistic to expect a aircraft to focus at one point above such a frame of time. But at constant intensity the amount of vaporized steel is proportionate to the length of the burst.

I propose something like:

"The efficiency of the laser cannon was thoroughly tested in several field trials, where it was able to burn 5,42 centimeter deep hole through a steel plate, using only a 40 millisecond bursts."

(notice how the uneven number makes it look cooler)

Edited by Qonfused

It hink it is a good draft, although I agree on Qonfuseds comments. In addition I have a small annotation:

By using additional focusing diamond lenses in our craft-mounted laser cannons, however, the beam dispersion is minimized so efficiently that its deviation is still within five centimeters for targets as far as 21 kilometers.

Why would focusing lenses lower deviation? Do you want to limit beam dispersion? Then the focusing lenses are the way to go, but I would suggest to declare the dispersion in percent per kilometer. Like: "By using additional focusing diamond lenses in our craft-mounted laser cannons, however, the beam dispersion is minimized so efficiently that it is limited to 0.025% per kilometer under standard test enviroment (STE) in vacuum." Please try to evaluate the value, I am not sure what beam dispersion in vacuum (it's a little more complicated in atmosphere) todays LASERs do have.

If you want to say, that the beam is not deviating from the targeted area, this will not happen on a mounted test array. Only if the target moves, the LASER might not hit the target. To avoid this, you might want to think about a targeting electronic which is tracking ( in the sense of moving the weapon so the aimed target will be hit by the beam) the LASER Canon to hit the target even if it is moving. Maybe it is a better idea to speak about moving the lenses (they are much easier to move :) ) Then you would want to write sth like: "The specially designed active tracking system allows efficient targeting even of fast moving targets, by linking the sesor feed to a lens-shifting mechanism thus allowing a deviation on a fast moving target under STE to be only 3.4%."

• 1 year later...