XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Forum Members In X-com (d)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Base Alert !

You better hope it isn`t Aquatiods with their Cyberdisk buddies.  :wacko:

Between their PSI attacks and the Cyberdisks dying explosions, you could be in real trouble at this stage of the game. :whatwhat:

Good luck !

you mean Sectoids. this isn't TFTD ;)

Would it be possible to have a research roster as well? Just to show what's pending (started but waiting scientists to be allocated to) and what's done. Would be handy to know what's. Maybe list the number of scientists and lab space (25/50, for example).

We might end up with research by committee, but that's not important. ;)

- NKF

Would it be possible to have a research roster as well? Just to show what's pending (started but waiting scientists to be allocated to) and what's done. Would be handy to know what's. Maybe list the number of scientists and lab space (25/50, for example).

We might end up with research by committee, but that's not important. ;)

- NKF

i can't figure out what you mean by a "research roster". i always report any finished researches and the only current research is Laser Pistol, 25 scientists, 25/50 lab space, Average progress.

I just mean list all the known projects on your list and what's their status. I've just gotten into the habit of calling it the research roster. Alliteration, anyone? ;)

Like, at the start you'll have something like:

Scientists 10/50

- Laser Technology

- Motion Sensors

- Medikit

Say you've now researched laser tech then start on the pistol. After the first mission, you'd have something like

Scientists 25/50

- Laser technology, Researched

- Laser pistol, 25 scientists

- Motion Sensors

- Medikit

- Alien alloys

- Plasma pistol

- Plasma rifle

- plasma rifle clip

- UFO Navigation

- Sectoid corpse

- Sectoid soldier

Those that are not researched or currently under research will all be pending. (I recommend starting all the projects, so you don't need to keep samples. Since we're just starting, we need all the cash we can get! It'll also help you update the list, since new projects will be easy to spot, as you'll not have added them yet)

This way we'll be able to keep up to speed on what tech level we're at.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I'll try to keep an up to date research roster in the general stores, NKF. It'd take some work off of Supsuper's hands, which are very full playing X-COM. ;)

You don't really need to know everything that can be researched. It's pretty obvious that you get all the plasma tech and UFO stuff first thing. I'll take note when a blaster launcher or small launcher come in, because you don't know when a couple of those would come in. I'll note new alien corpses, and live aliens, as SupSuper announces them.

an image is worth a thousand words, wouldn't you say? ;)

the researches that can't be seen are Sectoid Corpse and Floater Corpse. also, the only thing i don't like about having projects with 0 scientists is that, since you can't cancel them, i can't transfer much alien equip to other bases (to free up the stores) and if one base researches something, the others will still be able to research it "again".

but, since i still only have 1 base, i'll go with it for now. btw, we've got 15 scientists in transit.

research1.png

What workshop?

he probably means General Stores :P

No i ment workshop. Its pretty stupid to ask for personal armor in the general stores, when they are made in the workshop :P

At the base, duh.

exactly.

also, what if we come out psi weenies? Could you....make us 50-60 in talent?

At the base, duh.

exactly.

also, what if we come out psi weenies? Could you....make us 50-60 in talent?

I don't like that idea. Then there'd be no challenge or fun when all the Rocket PSI weenies enter an etherial site. I want to be known as the one with the most Team kills!

Unintentionally, of course. :rolleyes:

You know, when ethereals come along, I want to switch from grenadier to large-terror-unit-hunter. (i.e. small launcher + stun bombs). The sectopods will quake in fear of me! Until I get psied, of course. ;)

By the way, could we also have a common inventory for the ship? I mean, for things like spare clips and additional knickknacks that's not normally carried by the troops, but there if we need it? I mean for things that we aren't likely to be wanting to carry 24/7, such as a small supply of flares (I recommend 4), one or two motion scanners (for deployment purposes and UFO entry) and one mind probe (for the sorry chap that gets stuck at the back of the Skyranger with nothing to do), and maybe a set of stun-rods in case we suddenly locate a commander. And maybe on or two extras for the weapons with one-charge clips. Stuff like that. I mean, if we can fit it into the 80 item limit, it would be nice to have some of these extras along, right?

- NKF

By the way, could we also have a common inventory for the ship? I mean, for things like spare clips and additional knickknacks that's not normally carried by the troops, but there if we need it? I mean for things that we aren't likely to be wanting to carry 24/7, such as a small supply of flares (I recommend 4), one or two motion scanners (for deployment purposes and UFO entry) and one mind probe (for the sorry chap that gets stuck at the back of the Skyranger with nothing to do), and maybe a set of stun-rods in case we suddenly locate a commander.  And maybe on or two extras for the weapons with one-charge clips. Stuff like that. I mean, if we can fit it into the 80 item limit, it would be nice to have some of these extras along, right?

- NKF

don't worry, i always put in the ship everything that should be needed (medikits, flares, lots of spare ammo, etc), not just the weapons you guys want :P

I'm wondering where my kill came from? I was reading the game topic and saw myself get left out of all the fighting, then I look at the updated stats, and there I am... missions> 2, kills> 1. Just wondering if anyone knows where it came from... I'm betting its that mission wear Sup said "wow, only one alien" but the Post-Op showed 3 aliens killed... :D

Dean "I killed something!!!" Franz

I'm wondering where my kill came from? I was reading the game topic and saw myself get left out of all the fighting, then I look at the updated stats, and there I am... missions> 2, kills> 1. Just wondering if anyone knows where it came from... I'm betting its that mission wear Sup said "wow, only one alien" but the Post-Op showed 3 aliens killed... :D

Dean "I killed something!!!" Franz

well, actually it wasn't. IIRC, it was on the base mission where i couldn't bother to report any more. most of you killed something there.

the "1-alien" mission did have only 1 live alien. the 2 other ones started dead thus count as killed ;)

• 4 weeks later...
hey, where to get divcodec? I can't play any movies...

i would put some irony here on how hard it is to find http://www.divx.com, but instead i'll just give you a direct link to the download here. see what a nice guy i am? ;)

Hah, I've arrived! *laughs* Oh wait, Skyranger 3 has yet to go on a mission. <_ i think might go back to tweaking my heavy plasma then sleep. wake me when its time for shoot something.>

well, you might get action since there's an alien base near Offtopic Area (the base with SKYRANGER-3). however, this game is very weird, since it's superhuman but it seems worst than beginner. pretty low on ufos, terror sites, etc. so don't get your hopes too high ;)

*Gyrfalcon turns to Fabre* Next time I say something like 'wake me when there's action' and a terror site pops up, shoot me, alright?

*Fabre looks confused* But all I can shoot you with is a stun bomb launcher.

*Gyrfalcon grins* Thats why I told you to shoot me, not Mamutus over there. That way I can sit the mission out. ;P

We're gonna lose skyranger-3, ethereal terrorsite takes care of that :devillaugh:

:happybanana: Go skyranger-2 Go Go!! :happybanana:

Is my character still active? Or did she get confined to kitchen duties? :P

well, you are stuck in the back of the skyranger, but now that we have mind probes you'll still get to do something :P

I guess you don't have to worry about me. My family resides on Cydonia, and I guess it's beyond reach of U.S. mail. ;)

Not necessarily, you see, he can send a letter for your family with the Avenger going to Cydonia to ...ehrr... well, pummel your family :Blush:

Kinda cruel now I think of it, not only do they get killed but they get to know how their kid died first too :devillaugh:

Soldier: I'm sorry... but Extralucas, he... he didn't make it when his UFO crashed on the way to the terror mission.

Etheral: Ohno... :(

Soldier: oh well it seems i have some good news here...

Etheral: Did you save money on your car insurance?

Soldier: No...

:flame: :alienoooh:

Woah. It looks like all 3 skyrangers are getting 24/7 use. We may need another one soon... :rolleyes:

Although, an Avenger can do over twice the number of missions that a Skyranger can do...

Edited by Robo Dojo 58

MY ROCKET SKILLS ROCK!!! I HAS ABLE TO KILL MYSELF WHERE IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE TO DO THAT!!!

At least i was killed in battle....with myself :LOL:

i just though; Is it possible to make your soldiers look like aliens, and maybe have alien abilities? I mean, would Ekstralucas be able to acturly BE an etherial?

I belive XComUtil can do this. It saves your pre-transform abilities, so if you were in Flying Suit you still can float, even if you look like a muton. I'm not sure if it changes such things as armor statistics.

Edit: And here's link to website where NKF explains how to do it.

Edited by Extralucas

Skip if you don't like mildly techy stuff.

That's just the swap sides option that XComutil uses. It's fun, but it won't permanently change your unit. In fact, all units in the battlescape are temporary avatars and have no effect whatsoever on the real soldiers until the mission ends, where the accrued experience (and living status) of your units are tested. In fact, if you switch to the aliens and then kill off the original XCom soldiers, they will be lost at the end of the mission.

There's one little trick you can do to swap your 'skins', so to say. Well, it can also give you certain special abilities (such as the explode on death ability cyberdiscs get), and you'll probably get the sprite's death screams, but flight and psionics are not included.

Open up MS-EDIT (typing edit at the command prompt should do). Have it open the file called 'unitref.dat' in your savegame directory. Before you do, set it to open the file in binary format with 124 lines. Don't worry about all the funny ascii icons. Each one represents a byte (char), which holds numbers between 0 and 255.

Each line will now hold a unit. You can see the names of the units on the far right.

Go to the very first column (just hit 'home' if you're lost). This is what determines the unit's 'sprite'. You can see the value of the symbol on the status bar. Look at 'Value' and it'll tell you what the value of the symbol under the current cursor.

I haven't catalogued all the sprite references yet, but you could try changing one of your units to a sectoid by entering the value 4.

To enter values, hold alt and press the numbers on the keypad. Use three number combinations, so if it's under a 100, type a 0 before the number. However, this only works for most of the higher values. MS-Edit seems to have a problem with values under 26. Don't worry, there is another way to enter this data.

Enter CTRL+P and then press a letter of the alphabet, where a = 1, b = 2, c = 3, d = 4, all the way up to z = 26. For values of 0, I haven't a clue. But there's plenty of them in the data itself, so copy and paste them if you want.

One other option is to enter the symbols directly from the keyboard, if you know the ascii value of the character. d (lower case) for example, means 100. @ means 64, space is equivalent to 32 (note though it shows a blank it is NOT the same as 0, which also shows a blank symbol)

Remember that if the unit wasn't built for flying, the unit will be chopped in half when it's in the air, since non-flying units do not have leg sprites for units that are flying. Tanks on the other hand... well, if you change your hover tank to look like a Sectopod, it'll look like it's walking on air. Cool though. The shape of the X-Com tank and the hovertank share the same 'sprite' reference number. The shape of the tank is determined elsewhere in the data table. The jetpack on the back of power suits is determined by your flight ability, otherwise its sprite reference is the same as the power suit.

Also remember that this only effects your outward apperance. Armour, health, stats, and most everything else remain the same. The only thing I'm not too sure about is the damage modifiers. Would be nice to have the resistance of a lobstermen in TFTD...

Now we can let Extralucas look like an ethereal, and we can probably convert our tanks into sectopod-look-alikes.

On the other hand, this is purely a cosmetic change and would be tedious to do over and over. And it would be confusing as well, as 'X-Com' aliens look just like the real McCoy's, but the game knows who's who.

- NKF

P. S: Yes, if anyone's wondering, this is one of the methods I use to get my various insights into the working of the game (such as what actions influence what stats). Most of it is just pure guesswork.

Edited by NKF

• 2 weeks later...

i just wondered, what does Robo Dojo 58's name be when he dies?

Robo Dojo 58 2

--or--

Robo Dojo 59?

Thats kinda problem with having numbers in the end of the names :)

i just wondered, what does Robo Dojo 58's name be when he dies?

Robo Dojo 58 2

--or--

Robo Dojo 59?

Thats kinda problem with having numbers in the end of the names :)

i'll think about it when he does die :P

besides, you guys were the ones that came up with that, i just had the idea of putting (A:1,F:1) tags. still, i could always put Robo Dojo 58 II or something ;)